October QoL - Beta

im kinda dissapointed to dont see changes like:

how your character hits things like walls, snurtel pens, sand spikes, etc instead of nearby enemies

or removing space as a way to activate the pinchin winch

changes to root or autostacking stingers like how rot stack offscreen

fixes to chained frog rains or wildfires out of the view of the player

a revisit recipes like moonrock walls, shell beach turf

followers being stuck offscreen

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, zarklord_klei said:

We had something else we were hoping to release for October, however we're going to need a little bit more time for that, so we're throwing in a surprise QOL update. The Beta Branch is open again, this time with the October QoL changes that will be coming with Hallowed Nights next month. 

The game is paused! Seriously it is! No seriously, with this update you can pause the game! It also contains many improvements to the chat, allowing you to view a recent history of messages sent in chat, along with maintaining your chat history when you go to the caves from the forest, or vice versa.

You can follow the directions here to join the beta.

Server Pausing:
Changes:

• Server admins and local hosts can now pause the game.
    • This can be done via a keybind that defaults to ‘P’ or when more than one player is on the server, by the “Not a pause” Pause Screen.
  • When playing by yourself, on a server you locally host or are an admin for, the game can now automatically pause (“Auto-Pause”) when focus is taken away from the world.
    • For example: the “Not a pause” Pause Screen, cookbook, wardrobe, map, etc.
  • While other players are in the world, auto-pausing will be disabled.
  • When the game is paused, you can:
    • Manage your inventory
    • View crafting recipes
    • Look at the map
    • Talk to other players via ingame chat
    • Disconnect
  • Servers that are paused will show up as such in the server browser, and can be filtered based on that setting.
  • Worlds hosted without caves will now be paused while all players are in the lobby.

Notes for Modders:

Reveal hidden contents
  • You can hide the darkened pause underlay via the console command:
    • Profile:SetHidePauseUnderlay(true)
  • You can enable and disable the Console Command Screen auto-pausing separately in the Advanced menu in settings.
  • When the game is paused, you can run the command TheNet:AdvanceFrame() to make the game advance forward one Update(dt) call.
  • The game now has a new update loop: StaticUpdate(dt), StaticUpdate will run regardless of the game being paused.
    • Components now also have support for a OnStaticUpdate call, but this will only be executed when the game is paused, and will be skipped when the game is unpaused.
  • There is a new Scheduler called staticScheduler, this Scheduler is identical to the normal scheduler, except that it runs on the StaticUpdate loop, and not the Update loop, meaning it will update while the game is paused.
  • EntityScript now has a DoStaticPeriodicTask and DoStaticTaskInTime functions, these are identical to their non-static counterparts, except that because they run on StaticUpdate, they will run even when the game is paused.
  • All widgets and screens will now use DoStaticPeriodicTask and DoStaticTaskInTime by default.
  • Widgets and screens also have a DoSimPeriodicTask and DoSimTaskInTime, which will pause and stop updating when the game is paused.
  • Widgets and screens have a new function called UpdateWhilePaused, which is by default called with true, if called with false, DoPeriodicTask and DoTaskInTime will now point to their Sim variants instead of the Static variants.
  • All widget OnUpdate(dt) calls will need to check TheNet:IsServerPaused() if their behavior should stop updating when the game is paused.
  • All AnimState’s have a AnimateWhilePaused function, by default all normal in game objects won’t animate while the game is paused, and all widgets and screens will animate when paused, you can use this call AnimState:AnimateWhilePaused(animate_while_paused) to set the correct behavior for your animations.

If your widget/screen should continue to behave normally while paused, you will need to make all the following changes to it:

• Replace any reference to scheduler with staticScheduler.
  • Replace any call to GetTime with GetStaticTime.
  • Replace any call to GetTick with GetStaticTick.

If your widget/screen should pause when the game pauses, you will need to make the following changes to it:

• If you have an OnUpdate(dt) call, add the following to the first line in the function:
  • TheNet:IsServerPaused() then return end
  • Call self:UpdateWhilePaused(false) on the widget/screen, and on any child widgets that need to pause when the game is paused.
  • Call AnimState:AnimateWhilePaused(false) on any widgets that have an AnimState.

If you want your screen to autopause the game, you must do the following:

• Add the following code to the constructor of your screen:
    • SetAutopaused(true)
  • Add/Create the following to the OnDestroy function of your screen:
    • SetAutopaused(false)
  • If the top center of your screen is being used, you can move the server paused text to somewhere else by adding this function to your screen:
    • function YourScreen:OffsetServerPausedWidget(serverpausewidget)
    • And then call serverpausewidget:SetOffset(x, y) inside the function.

In Game Chat:
Changes:

• Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the chat queue instead of at the top of the screen.
  • Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the lobby chat window.
  • Chat now has a history of the last 100 messages, and can be scrolled to view those messages.
  • Chat history will persist between the character select screen, forest, and caves.
  • Messages sent while a player is traveling between the caves or forest will be received when the player finishes loading.

Other Changes:

• The Bee Queen Crown can now be deconstructed.
  • Reduced the ingredients for crafting the Premier Gardeneer Hat
  • Changed the ingredients for crafting the Cookbook and it no longer requires a Science Machine to prototype.
  • Improved the Pick/Axe’s durability and damage.
  • All key binds have been reset due to the addition of the new pausing key bind.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where Wigfrid would gain inspiration twice when using ranged attacks
  • Wigfrid now properly calculates inspiration based on the actual damage done. This means buffs, debuffs, and electric damage now affect her inspiration gain. The target’s buffs and protective states, like a hiding Slurtle, will also affect her inspiration gain. Note: The inspiration gain rate has been adjusted to account for her natural +25% damage multiplier.
  • Fixed a bug where the Winged Sail would not save/load its state when built on land.
  • Fixed a bug where spiderdens on boats could grow again if you removed den decorations from them.

View full update

Is it possible to disable auto-pause?

Are we getting a pause function? For real? I love you, Klei!!<3 Although having the ability to manage your inventory / map / crafting tabs when the game is paused is very questionable considering the survival nature of the game, like Mike pointed out. It feels very out of place for DST. It might take away a lot of what makes DST fun since many situations require fast thinking and wits (which you eventually learn from simply playing the game). We already have the terror (yes, 'terror' is a fitting word) of bad players insisting of rolling back servers because of utterly trivial things (they saw a flower smolder, etc) which completely ruins the pace of the game for the remaining players. Now imagine the same stupidity being imposed by a pause feature that said players has an incentive to spam in battle. It sounds atrocious, to be honest. Another reason why some players will stay bad and never learn the game. Hopefully I am completely wrong about this...

Also, for crying out loud (like everybody else in this thread): the cook book recipe makes zero sense. xD xD xD

Removing Science Machine requirement is one thing... but come on, procuring papyrus and finding a carrot are both really trivial endeavors. You still need a Science Machine for crafting a Crock Pot, so it doesn't even matter that you remove the papyrus requirement (except if you are playing Warly, but then you will have to learn to cook different food the hard way anyway).

Looks forward to this update a lot!!

Also, pretty please, add a way to remove giant crops from the Produce Scale without having to smash it. Thank you. <3 <3

Edited by Captain_Rage
  • Like 3

October’s QoL feels disappointing- Klei I need you to understand that I live in a house full of pets, therefore ALWAYS seeing the bottom half of my TV Screen is impossible, there are several PC Mods that let you move your inventory to the left, right or Top of your screen.. My cats can lay at the bottom of my Flatscreen TV, they can’t lay on top of it where I would LIKE to Relocate my important inventory info to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

October’s QoL feels disappointing- Klei I need you to understand that I live in a house full of pets, therefore ALWAYS seeing the bottom half of my TV Screen is impossible, there are several PC Mods that let you move your inventory to the left, right or Top of your screen.. My cats can lay at the bottom of my Flatscreen TV, they can’t lay on top of it where I would LIKE to Relocate my important inventory info to.

are you serious

• Big Ups 1

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Improving the QoL for console players still seems like a worthwhile investment if you ask me, so yeah 100% serious.

Isnt it what they did with this QoL? Wasnt neccesary on pc so they did it for console mostly

You can pause the game if you pet is near the screen. I have 2 cats and i dont expect from klei to solve my life

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Isnt it what they did with this QoL? Wasnt neccesary on pc so they did it for console mostly

You can pause the game if you pet is near the screen. I have 2 cats and i dont expect from klei to solve my life

Well if you want to know personal information I live in a household where we have 4 gaming rigs in close proximity to one another in my living room, I sit directly in front of my dads TV to play my own TV, now sure I suppose we could rearrange our entire living room- but it would be much easier if Klei would add a simple hud movement function to the games options screens. 

Klei isn’t this small super unknown indie company anymore, I mean Theres that whole ordeal with Tencent and all, so I’m pretty sure this would be a Huge QoL for anyone with a huge TV who plain and simply doesn’t feel like relocating it across their room.

The people who have brothers, sisters or pets that get in the way of their inventory menu- and no…. pause is not the solve all solution- because Pause only works when your playing Alone.

Im not sure about in PC but on XBOX you can scale the Size of your HUD from 1-10 that’s something they actually took the effort to put in the game- So tell me why I can’t just relocate the thing to the TOP of my tv screen?

And since I’m on the Topic of Console QoL- We have global voice chat on Xbox you hear everyone in the room as soon as you join a server, I would absolutely LOVE a Mute All button (which mutes all players instead of me joining a world and quickly having to mute them all one by one) in the settings Menu because sometimes I’m not fast enough in muting the screaming children in their headsets before they wake up my sleeping family members in the room with me.

I suppose I could mute the sound on my TV, but that opens up a can of worms of having no audio captions for the game making playing with no sound not a very optimal choice.

If games like State of Decay, Plants Vs Zombies, Marvels Avengers have these basic Console game functions why doesn’t DST? Is it because it’s designed as a PC game first and foremost with console as an after thought?

You guys can make fun/hate on me and say my problems are a strictly “Me” thing- But then I’d love for you to tell me why all the other console games I play have settings that solve this “Me” thing..?

Please stop discrediting people’s opinions- if I ask for something there’s usually a bigger reason besides “just me”

Edited by Mike23Ua

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Problem is nearly no one has the same problem you have that requires Klei to add/fix. Try to find another person who is so annoyed by pets that they have the same opinion as you do.

Unless you directly fund Klei or being Klei's lead developer, your opinion literally makes no sense and no one asks for it, Klei, or any company won't change/add things to their games based on one consumer's opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

almost any game lets you change the hud position, at most their size

about pets, again, pause will fix it. And again, i have 2 young cats, i know how annoying or bastards pets can be but with the simplicity of pausing the game the problem is solved, i have already that power thanks to mods so klei made this "dissappointed because isnt based on fixing my problems" QoL update to let consoles have a better time with time managing and real world shenanigans

20 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Problem is nearly no one has the same problem you have that requires Klei to add/fix. Try to find another person who is so annoyed by pets that they have the same opinion as you do.

the problem is that there is no problem, klei addded pause just to solve what he is complaining about

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, Spino43 said:

Well, if he buys a PC and installs the mods then it will solve his problems.

Admittedly, moving from console to PC is pretty difficult, especially lately. Buying a gaming PC can be super expensive, and building one is more intimidating than ever with so many people getting into crypto and driving up the prices for specific parts (sucks, killing the planet AND making it hard for people to just play games). Even if I don't personally struggle with the same issue of the inventory being obscured, moving to PC and using a mod isn't the most accessible solution.

• Big Ups 2

On 10/11/2021 at 4:52 AM, Well-met said:

On 10/11/2021 at 5:49 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont expect from klei to solve my life

On 10/11/2021 at 6:13 AM, Spino43 said:

You people are ridiculous, he made one suggestion, don't like it? Move on. 

If klei is bothering by anything its not going to be one persons suggestion, its the toxicity you guys are spewing right now. I don't agree with most things Mike says but the hate Mike train is getting really old. Don't like him? Block him. People derail whole threads just to bandwagon on the guy. 

24 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

-snipe-

I appreciate the effort but just do what I do and ignore people, my grandmother is in the hospital in critical condition after getting a surgery that was supposed to help her, I’m on the Klei Forums because I have no car and no way to get to her and also due to Covid regulations- I couldn’t be with her anyway, and being HERE sort of takes my mind off that for a bit- people have life hit them hard when they least expect it.. they don’t really NEED people on the Internet adding onto it, but I learned a long time ago that people genuinely just don’t care, and it’s really best to shrug it off and just move on.

With that said: the things I bring up would actually be QoL changes for console players.. 

Being able to relocate inventory to top or side of screen.

Being able to Mute all players on a Headset without having to mute each of them individually- In fact Klei: Why not just give me a server setting that lets me toggle if mics can be used or not?

Some people don’t understand WHY I want these things but just look at Red Dead Online- you only hear other players when you are in close PROXIMITY to them..

Instead of some random joining blaring music or screaming they’re freezing to death- As the game stands right NOW I have to mute the sound on my TV when people join the room but even THAT can be too late to avoid loud people on headsets waking my sleeping family up.

From what I’ve heard about PC- they don’t even HAVE Voice Chat so it’s an issue that doesn’t occur for them- But I guarantee you if they DID Have voice chat they would be asking for that same Mute All Players or Disable Headset button in settings.

Lastly I think Klei could really give console players a huge Aiming QoL by implementing a virtual mouse into the game by doing something like holding in a button long enough to make the mouse appear and then canceling out when your done doing “mouse actions”

Theres a rumored Terraria cross-over with DST so MAYBE Klei will look at how Terraria has a Virtual mouse/aiming cruiser and actually add one of those for console players.

While console players may be a small minority of Klei’s intended audience, I strongly feel like improving their QoL with the game shouldn’t so easily go dismissed.

They even stated some time back ago that they hired a team of people specifically just to handle improving the quality of the game for console players-

So put that team to use.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Buying a gaming PC can be super expensive, and building one is more intimidating than ever

When you start seeing Pipspooks coming out from the IO shield you can be sure you are on a good way of building a computer viable for running DST.

Spoiler

image.png.a6224ef7cab8b09d806188ac1080c0cf.png

Spoiler

It can also be really cheap (not more expensive than a modern video game console) to build your very own PC! The latest hardware is never good value for your money. For example, a Ryzen 3600 processor that is not technically the newest anymore will be more than ample for running a server with even multiple shards. Other factors and components also play a role, of course, but there are tons of guides on computer building readily available these days. Don't let the Pipspook scare you from building a nice computer.