October QoL - Beta

2 hours ago, pyroisshy said:

no archipelago worldgen :apologetic:

Didn’t they heavily hint around at having an update coming that would change the way the world/biomes were generated? I swear I recall the devs teasing that for the upcoming QoL maybe that was part of the “not yet ready” October update, but who knows maybe I could’ve dreamt it? *shrugs*

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:losing your entire save. How awfully inconvenient. 

Well I don’t think that Quoted right but whatever, Yes.. no more lost worlds to things like: Having to go pee, having a house cat decide it wants to go pee too, right on you and you need to get up and change clothes, having to see who is honking their car horn outside your house, having your sister scream “The house is on Fire!” When all she did was burn some toast and cause the stove to smoke up.

Pause button is going to prevent me from having to stand around and wait until the time of day changes back to bright day light, so I won’t die to darkness while getting up to go AFK.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Why would you be using the pause mod in a beta that adds a way to pause without mods?

No, you are understand me wrong. I used this mod before beta, and sometimes, after long time on pause, server disconnected. Does someone try to pause game on beta and wait few hours? Maybe in-game pause have the same issue.

Edited by DajeKotlyar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes BUT is the current QoL big enough to have needed a Beta phase? Take the last QoL as an example: I Understand WHY that had a Beta Phase because Klei literally gave you the options to turn on and off many of the games features, to reduce or increase the amount of mobs that spawn in nearly every area of the game, and to be able to turn back ON and revisit (at anytime you want) old limited time event content like Year of the Carrat or now: Summers Cawnival.

I repeat my previous statement: I don’t see a pause button and Chat log as qualifying as a Substantial sized QoL needing a Beta-Phase, especially when compared to the previous QoL.

BUT: Klei had plans to do “another thing for October” and it’s not quite ready so they’re giving us this, it’s completely understandable, I would much rather get a delayed but working thing, then get something rushed that doesn’t work.

Man, beta are used to look after bugs and suggestions not to hype people. If you dont think that there should be a beta about this update good for you but the world doesnt work like that

People must try stuff and more when the game will be published in consoles made by selfish and annoying companies so better had everything fixed before sending it to sony or ms

Pausing the game was a pretty wanted/desired aspect en-large, kudos for implementing it.

Likewise the Chat features - good to have a mini-history and, most of all, messages remaining accessible even when changing server from Forest to Caves plus vice-versa. Thumbs-up!

Regarding the shift on ingredients for the Cookbook crafting as to not require Science Machine, like others above mentioned, while ok in concept, sadly it doesn't make much sense in relation to most other recipes, that are somewhat intuitive. Any of the Cooked Seed, Morsel and Red Cap doesn't account for what would make a book - its pages, even if the whimsical DS/T spirit remains (Red Mushroom). Perhaps a better alternative would be:

possible-cookbook-recipe.png.c4d31827f91208ebd7bf8511aabd681f.png

(maybe 1-2 Reeds and/or 1-2 Charcoals to further tweak)

Yet imo the best facet of this QoL is Bee Queen Crown being made deconstructible. For long-term worlds is a proverbial god-send, more-so since they tend to pile up if one "farms" BQ regularly. In same vein would be excellent, again as others above mentioned, if also Bone Helm plus Bone Armor could be made deconstructible. For example:

possible_bone-helm_decon.png.036a6039fe3256811279327e9dc7065d.png

possible_bone-armor_decon.png.9cbdd94c6a6e9607fbf27cc082daf38b.png

Obviously the given-back items number can be changed to anything considered by KLei balanced; but for my example I've taken into account what people expressed in past as having shortages of in their Nx k worlds, aka Fossils and Bone Shards (plus makes sense for aforementioned items to have these constituents). Nightmare Fuel is there to keep lore-congruence. As for the whimsical element (Survival lane balance too), I for one would opt that each Bone Helm & Bone Helm deconstruction having a certain percentage of spawning 1x Shadow Creature (Crawling Horror or Terrorbeak). Just some ideas.

And lastly, the issue of duplicate Blueprints (Regular and Rare ones) and Sketches one gets on long-lived servers regularly, either from Tumbleweeds or via boss "farms" - it's a pity only way to dispose of them is by burning or giving them to Lureplants (or drop at Ocean/map margin and into Abyss). An idea circulated in past was to make Cartographer's Desk have a certain additional "recycle" function, deconstructing said Blueprints/Sketches into Papyrus/Cut Reeds. For example:

possible_regular-blueprint_decon.png.d7891d91dd2040651c5e33828b54cea1.png

possible_rare-blueprint_decon.png.bf2760218a55de0a1a23a1c0dabb262f.png

possible_sketch_decon.png.95aaf47f246f0f186562383a05305e49.png

Numbers of give-back items is, once more, up to KLei's balance; just want to mention for Sketches' case I went with an additional Collected Dust intake since those look pretty old/ancient. Possibly, in the process of "recycling" Blueprints/Sketches, some item should be required/used (Glommer's Goop?). More ideas to the wall.

Anyway, gj with these QoL series, they really polish the game into excellence.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*some additions and corrections*
  • Like 30
  • Big Ups 3

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Pause button is awesome though- But I’ve got a really bad feeling it’ll cause it’s OWN problems when it comes over to consoles

That’s just generally part of the process, sadly. You can’t find every bug in a beta, but the PC release should (hopefully) get the main ones, especially the current one where you are unable to eat food or open chests and the like if you open the pause menu in a specific way.

I don’t know if there will be many console specific ones, at least. I remember in particular a serious one was how holding the button to do something automatically did it constantly, which was incredibly frustrating for things like chests. I’m not sure what console specific interactions would arise due to being able to pause that wouldn’t be fixed first on PC.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

In same vein would be excellent, again as others above mentioned, if also Bone Helm plus Bone Armor could be made deconstructible. For example:

I would add the Shadow Thurible to this as well. Like the Bone Armor, the Thurible is indestructible and the only way to get rid of unwanted extras is feeding them to a lureplant.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Another membe said:

And making cookbook immediately available also makes the cooking tab visible before it's supposed to(at least in my opinion)

image.thumb.png.6e0492dab16b20723fed464b4d2ba18d.pngIt's either the symptom or the intended consequence of the change that Food Menu is always visible with all its tier 1 craftables now. I guess it's Klei's way of giving first time players a bit more of a direction of what to craft, showcasing important food sources like Crock Pot, Garden Digamajig, Beebox and Drying racks from the get go. I've seen quite a bit of fresh install twitch streamers struggle to find the food tab or think of crafting a crock pot or garden digamajig without excessive guidence. In my opinion, the constant visibility of the food menu is the much bigger change here than the scienceless craftable cookbook with its nonesensical crafting recipe, as part of the series of changes to make the game more accessible to the first time players.

That said, I think the tier 1 and tier 2 food craftables might call for some rearranging. Crock Pot, Garden Rigamajig, Gardeneer Hat, Bee Box, Drying Rack and perhaps Mushroom Planter are good as they stand in Science Tier One. But I don't think Growth Formula Starter and Composting Bin should be there, they are more complex craftables with what they achieve and it is quite an inconsistency that while those two count as tier 1 food craftables, Bucket of Poop and Tree Jam count as tier 2 craftables. I'd suggest all fertilizer items to be moved to Tier 2 science in order to make it more consistent and not overwhelm the new players with complex mechanics of soil nutrients from the get-go. 

Also, I'm still hoping the Cookbook recipe is revised. Toasted seeds have no place there, they can never be used in the cookbook as an entry since they can't go into the crockpot or used in the garden to make crops. I suggest toasted seed is replaced by 4 reeds instead.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, phobs said:

remove the pause when viewing the map,or add the ability to disable this feature, sometimes I check the map every second

This part I DON’T understand: It’s nice to have a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game that finally has a Pause button, that part is a very WELCOME’D Edition (because all games should have a pause button..) - But in an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game- 

Checking the map to see where you are AND Managing your Inventory should NOT Pause the game, Juggling between these things while the game was NOT PAUSED was one of my favorite Differences between DS and DST… it made it feel more Realistic.

Maybe the way PAUSE works is tied to checking your Inventory/Map.. I don’t know: All I wanted was a pause button when I wanted the game to actually pause, not a pause button that makes Checking my Map & managing inventory completely safe endeavors now.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This part I DON’T understand: It’s nice to have a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game that finally has a Pause button, that part is a very WELCOME’D Edition (because all games should have a pause button..) - But in an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game- 

Checking the map to see where you are AND Managing your Inventory should NOT Pause the game, Juggling between these things while the game was NOT PAUSED was one of my favorite Differences between DS and DST… it made it feel more Realistic.

Maybe the way PAUSE works is tied to checking your Inventory/Map.. I don’t know: All I wanted was a pause button when I wanted the game to actually pause, not a pause button that makes Checking my Map & managing inventory completely safe endeavors now.

If you dont like the feature you might aswell not use it

4 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

I

If you dont like the feature you might aswell not use it

Can it be turned on/off during gameplay?

the game really really needed a pause Button, an actual dedicated pause button probably just in that menu you can pull up that has things like options, rollback, dice roll, disconnect etc..

It Should NEVER have effected checking Mini-Map and managing inventory.

Why did Klei bother at all to make items you pick up auto stack in your inventory (something Outdated Single-Player DS STILL does not have as a much needed QoL) if they planned to later make the game pause while managing inventory anyway?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Why would you be using the pause mod in a beta that adds a way to pause without mods?

I think what he's trying to say is that the mod version of pausing had issues with it. It would crash the game if kept paused for too long, and from what I've noticed it also doesn't like when you pause while it's raining. He's asking if the official implementation has the same issues the mod does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even though this is beta, and as a console player I can not play in Beta’s I can still voice my opinion about it- and right now I’m highly unhappy with the way it sounds like pause is going to work.

No longer will I need to PANIC at unexpected nightfalls fumbling through my inventory of god only knows what to find my torch before Charlie kills me because the game now pauses when I access my inventory- does this sound right for a survival game?

I simply wanted a PAUSE function, not to Simplify the game because of a pause function.

People are saying don’t worry you can turn it off: Great, so I get to choose between being able to pause my game to go to the restroom, OR disabling pause so I can enjoy not having my inventory/Mini-Map pause the game.

Not to mention: thats even assuming that Xbox version will even HAVE an option to disable it. (We can’t even disable the caves shards to host surface only worlds.)

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People are saying don’t worry you can turn it off: Great, so I get to choose between being able to pause my game to go to the restroom, OR disabling pause so I can enjoy not having my inventory/Mini-Map pause the game.

Disabling auto-pause does not rob you of the ability to pause the game manually.

Also, on PC at least, managing the inventory does not automatically pause the game.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
On 9/27/2021 at 1:12 PM, zarklord_klei said:

We had something else we were hoping to release for October, however we're going to need a little bit more time for that, so we're throwing in a surprise QOL update. The Beta Branch is open again, this time with the October QoL changes that will be coming with Hallowed Nights next month. 

The game is paused! Seriously it is! No seriously, with this update you can pause the game! It also contains many improvements to the chat, allowing you to view a recent history of messages sent in chat, along with maintaining your chat history when you go to the caves from the forest, or vice versa.

You can follow the directions here to join the beta.

Server Pausing:
Changes:

• Server admins and local hosts can now pause the game.
    • This can be done via a keybind that defaults to ‘P’ or when more than one player is on the server, by the “Not a pause” Pause Screen.
  • When playing by yourself, on a server you locally host or are an admin for, the game can now automatically pause (“Auto-Pause”) when focus is taken away from the world.
    • For example: the “Not a pause” Pause Screen, cookbook, wardrobe, map, etc.
  • While other players are in the world, auto-pausing will be disabled.
  • When the game is paused, you can:
    • Manage your inventory
    • View crafting recipes
    • Look at the map
    • Talk to other players via ingame chat
    • Disconnect
  • Servers that are paused will show up as such in the server browser, and can be filtered based on that setting.
  • Worlds hosted without caves will now be paused while all players are in the lobby.

Notes for Modders:

Reveal hidden contents
  • You can hide the darkened pause underlay via the console command:
    • Profile:SetHidePauseUnderlay(true)
  • You can enable and disable the Console Command Screen auto-pausing separately in the Advanced menu in settings.
  • When the game is paused, you can run the command TheNet:AdvanceFrame() to make the game advance forward one Update(dt) call.
  • The game now has a new update loop: StaticUpdate(dt), StaticUpdate will run regardless of the game being paused.
    • Components now also have support for a OnStaticUpdate call, but this will only be executed when the game is paused, and will be skipped when the game is unpaused.
  • There is a new Scheduler called staticScheduler, this Scheduler is identical to the normal scheduler, except that it runs on the StaticUpdate loop, and not the Update loop, meaning it will update while the game is paused.
  • EntityScript now has a DoStaticPeriodicTask and DoStaticTaskInTime functions, these are identical to their non-static counterparts, except that because they run on StaticUpdate, they will run even when the game is paused.
  • All widgets and screens will now use DoStaticPeriodicTask and DoStaticTaskInTime by default.
  • Widgets and screens also have a DoSimPeriodicTask and DoSimTaskInTime, which will pause and stop updating when the game is paused.
  • Widgets and screens have a new function called UpdateWhilePaused, which is by default called with true, if called with false, DoPeriodicTask and DoTaskInTime will now point to their Sim variants instead of the Static variants.
  • All widget OnUpdate(dt) calls will need to check TheNet:IsServerPaused() if their behavior should stop updating when the game is paused.
  • All AnimState’s have a AnimateWhilePaused function, by default all normal in game objects won’t animate while the game is paused, and all widgets and screens will animate when paused, you can use this call AnimState:AnimateWhilePaused(animate_while_paused) to set the correct behavior for your animations.

If your widget/screen should continue to behave normally while paused, you will need to make all the following changes to it:

• Replace any reference to scheduler with staticScheduler.
  • Replace any call to GetTime with GetStaticTime.
  • Replace any call to GetTick with GetStaticTick.

If your widget/screen should pause when the game pauses, you will need to make the following changes to it:

• If you have an OnUpdate(dt) call, add the following to the first line in the function:
  • TheNet:IsServerPaused() then return end
  • Call self:UpdateWhilePaused(false) on the widget/screen, and on any child widgets that need to pause when the game is paused.
  • Call AnimState:AnimateWhilePaused(false) on any widgets that have an AnimState.

If you want your screen to autopause the game, you must do the following:

• Add the following code to the constructor of your screen:
    • SetAutopaused(true)
  • Add/Create the following to the OnDestroy function of your screen:
    • SetAutopaused(false)
  • If the top center of your screen is being used, you can move the server paused text to somewhere else by adding this function to your screen:
    • function YourScreen:OffsetServerPausedWidget(serverpausewidget)
    • And then call serverpausewidget:SetOffset(x, y) inside the function.

In Game Chat:
Changes:

• Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the chat queue instead of at the top of the screen.
  • Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the lobby chat window.
  • Chat now has a history of the last 100 messages, and can be scrolled to view those messages.
  • Chat history will persist between the character select screen, forest, and caves.
  • Messages sent while a player is traveling between the caves or forest will be received when the player finishes loading.

Other Changes:

• The Bee Queen Crown can now be deconstructed.
  • Reduced the ingredients for crafting the Premier Gardeneer Hat
  • Changed the ingredients for crafting the Cookbook and it no longer requires a Science Machine to prototype.
  • Improved the Pick/Axe’s durability and damage.
  • All key binds have been reset due to the addition of the new pausing key bind.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where Wigfrid would gain inspiration twice when using ranged attacks
  • Wigfrid now properly calculates inspiration based on the actual damage done. This means buffs, debuffs, and electric damage now affect her inspiration gain. The target’s buffs and protective states, like a hiding Slurtle, will also affect her inspiration gain. Note: The inspiration gain rate has been adjusted to account for her natural +25% damage multiplier.
  • Fixed a bug where the Winged Sail would not save/load its state when built on land.
  • Fixed a bug where spiderdens on boats could grow again if you removed den decorations from them.

View full update

Can world pausing be an option? Call me weird, but I like the constant threat of danger in my world. Forces me to think ahead with every action. 

Edited by Phizzle
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, Phizzle said:

Reveal hidden contents

Can world pausing be an option? Call me weird, but I like the constant threat of danger in my world. Forces me to think ahead with ever action. 

You can just not pause
I think pausing for stuff like going to the bathroom would be useful (a lot better than just hoping you dont die or going godmode)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Pausing the game was a pretty wanted/desired aspect en-large, kudos for implementing it.

Likewise the Chat features - good to have a mini-history and, most of all, messages remaining accessible even when changing server from Forest to Caves plus vice-versa. Thumbs-up!

Regarding the shift on ingredients for the Cookbook crafting as to not require Science Machine, like others above mentioned, while ok in concept, sadly it doesn't make much sense in relation to most other recipes, that are somewhat intuitive. Any of the Cooked Seed, Morsel and Red Cap doesn't account for what would make a book - its pages, even if the whimsical DS/T spirit remains (Red Mushroom). Perhaps a better alternative would be:

possible-cookbook-recipe.png.c4d31827f91208ebd7bf8511aabd681f.png

(maybe 1-2 Reeds and/or 1-2 Charcoals to further tweak)

Yet imo the best facet of this QoL is Bee Queen Crown being made deconstructible. For long-term worlds is a proverbial god-send, more-so since they tend to pile up if one "farms" BQ regularly. In same vein would be excellent, again as others above mentioned, if also Bone Helm plus Bone Armor could be made deconstructible. For example:

Obviously the given-back items number can be changed to anything considered by KLei balanced; but for my example I've taken into account what people expressed in past as having shortages of in their Nx k worlds, aka Fossils and Bone Shards (plus makes sense for aforementioned items to have these constituents). Nightmare Fuel is there to keep lore-congruence. As for the whimsical element (Survival lane balance too), I for one would opt that each Bone Helm & Bone Helm deconstruction having a certain percentage of spawning 1x Shadow Creature (Crawling Horror or Terrorbeak). Just some ideas.

And lastly, the issue of duplicate Blueprints (Regular and Rare ones) and Sketches one gets on long-lived servers regularly, either from Tumbleweeds or via boss "farms" - it's a pity only way to dispose of them is by burning or giving them to Lureplants (or drop at Ocean/map margin and into Abyss). An idea circulated in past was to make Cartographer's Desk have a certain additional "recycle" function, deconstructing said Blueprints/Sketches into Papyrus/Cut Reeds. For example:

possible_regular-blueprint_decon.png.d7891d91dd2040651c5e33828b54cea1.png

possible_rare-blueprint_decon.png.bf2760218a55de0a1a23a1c0dabb262f.png

possible_sketch_decon.png.95aaf47f246f0f186562383a05305e49.png

Numbers of give-back items is, once more, up to KLei's balance; just want to mention for Sketches' case I went with an additional Collected Dust intake since those look pretty old/ancient. Possibly, in the process of "recycling" Blueprints/Sketches, some item should be required/used (Glommer's Goop?). More ideas to the wall.

Anyway, gj with these QoL series, they really polish the game into excellence.

Spider queen crown too ( in late game you prob have tons of them) and the most ussles gem in lategame is orange so you can make something with that. 

About Blueprins we can get more papirus by blueprint value ( like napsack )

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:36 PM, Gi-Go said:

Is that it? I mean, awesome changes but kinda underwhelming. 

I mean this wasn't meant to be released standalone, it was meant to be a thing alongside the Hallowed Nights update (well, it still will be). They just released it as a beta as a little surprise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1