Why Walter is generally (in my humble opinion) dumb, short, and stinky.

Walter, the Fearless.

We all know him.

Some hate him, some love him.

However, I'm about to drop some sick lines that will expose the fact that Walter is dumb, short, and stinky.

Walter has almost no coherence in his upsides and downsides.

First off, he can craft a tent roll. Looks like we got a nice character with unique crafts to help the team! Let's see what else he can craft that the team can use. A boy scout hat which is used for sanity gain! What else? Oh, sorry, he doesn't have anything else. (if he has something else that's not slingshot related, feel free to call me dumb, short, and stinky)

Next, there's campfire stories. You sit at a campfire or fire pit and you tell a spooky story, only at night, for a sanity gain for everyone in the nearest vicinity. This, along with the tent roll, are pretty good perks! They're coherent, work with the boy scout motif, let's see what's next!

Thirdly, he's allergic to bees. Why? This has no coherence at all. It's just like some guy at Klei said "Uhh, guys, Walter doesn't have enough perks.." and then he got stung by a bee and said "Oh, nevermind, I just got a great idea!" There is no reason for this perk to exist. It barely even ties in with his character! Willow likes fire, so her downside is getting cold easier! Wes is a mime, so his downside is that the universe hates him! Wanda made the timeline wacky, so her downside is that her timeline is wacky!

Fourth, while we're on the topic of downsides, Walter's main downside is that when he gets hit, his sanity goes bananas down the drain. This makes some coherent sense. If you go up and slap a child, they will cry. If you go up and slap a 24 year old, they will cry, but not as much. You can lessen this downside by wearing his special hat that makes him take less insanity from damage. You could also wear a helmet and take less damage in the first place, but the sanity drain is really oppressive if you're going to tank.

Fifth, the slingshot. I like this. Keep it.

Sixth, Woby. Probably Walter's best perk. Not only do you get 9 extra inventory slots just for existing, a couple monster meat, and you can go really fast, as long as you don't get hit. You can also use the slingshot on Woby, so, go wild. The only issue is the fact that there's not really much to do with Woby and being a boy scout. Maybe something about returning lost dogs?

Seventh, the final reason Walter is dumb and short and stinky. His max sanity is low, so he is dumb. He is a child, so he is short. He probably has not bathed since coming to the constant, so he is stinky. I rest my case.

A really useful team perk about him that I haven't seen anyone talk about is being able to map out the world insanely quick.

In a recent endless world that I started with some friends, we generated a 600x600 world(Usual worlds are 450x450). I was able to map out the entire border of the map, and some good chunks of mid-areas in around 6 days and I was able to make maps for each one of my friends. Only cost was the monster meat I needed to feed Woby to keep her fast and big. And again, that was a 600x600 world, imagine a 450x450 world!

I'd like to see more scout crafts, that's all I could ask for(Oh yeah, and uh do something about that bee downside, forgot about it again even when this post mentioned it, haha)

14 minutes ago, Beeremy the III said:

Walter, the Fearless.

We all know him.

Some hate him, some love him.

However, I'm about to drop some sick lines that will expose the fact that Walter is dumb, short, and stinky.

First off, he can craft a tent roll. Looks like we got a nice character with unique crafts to help the team! Let's see what else he can craft that the team can use. A boy scout hat which is used for sanity gain! What else? Oh, sorry, he doesn't have anything else. (if he has something else that's not slingshot related, feel free to call me dumb, short, and stinky)

Next, there's campfire stories. You sit at a campfire or fire pit and you tell a spooky story, only at night, for a sanity gain for everyone in the nearest vicinity. This, along with the tent roll, are pretty good perks! They're coherent, work with the boy scout motif, let's see what's next!

Thirdly, he's allergic to bees. Why? This has no coherence at all. It's just like some guy at Klei said "Uhh, guys, Walter doesn't have enough perks.." and then he got stung by a bee and said "Oh, nevermind, I just got a great idea!" There is no reason for this perk to exist. It barely even ties in with his character! Willow likes fire, so her downside is getting cold easier! Wes is a mime, so his downside is that the universe hates him! Wanda made the timeline wacky, so her downside is that her timeline is wacky!

Fourth, while we're on the topic of downsides, Walter's main downside is that when he gets hit, his sanity goes bananas down the drain. This makes some coherent sense. If you go up and slap a child, they will cry. If you go up and slap a 24 year old, they will cry, but not as much. You can lessen this downside by wearing his special hat that makes him take less insanity from damage. You could also wear a helmet and take less damage in the first place, but the sanity drain is really oppressive if you're going to tank.

Fifth, the slingshot. I like this. Keep it.

Sixth, Woby. Probably Walter's best perk. Not only do you get 9 extra inventory slots just for existing, a couple monster meat, and you can go really fast, as long as you don't get hit. You can also use the slingshot on Woby, so, go wild. The only issue is the fact that there's not really much to do with Woby and being a boy scout. Maybe something about returning lost dogs?

Seventh, the final reason Walter is dumb and short and stinky. His max sanity is low, so he is dumb. He is a child, so he is short. He probably has not bathed since coming to the constant, so he is stinky. I rest my case.

Wigfrid's songs don't make sense for a battle viking.(using lore doesn't count)

Wickerbottom is can't sleep how is this related to her character.

Willow has a bear(see Wigfrid)

Wendy ghosts are passive to her why

Legit the main reason people hate Walter is he doesn't have a "powerful perk" and he doesn't have the prestige of original don't starve status.

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Wigfrid isn't a battle viking. She's a stage performer. You don't need the short to know this, as even in original Don't Starve, she is Wigfrid, the Performance Artist.

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Her sister is a ghost. Wendy has a unique connection to ghosts, being able to make tonics and brews for not only Abigail, but also player ghosts (haunt vigor mortis for a speed boost).

4 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Legit the main reason people hate Walter is he doesn't have a "powerful perk" and he doesn't have the prestige of original don't starve status.

I don't hate Walter, I just wish he was on par with the rest of the survivors. I also feel this way about Wurt. Right now, I don't think he or Wurt are very good.

8 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Wickerbottom is can't sleep how is this related to her character.

Willow has a bear(see Wigfrid)

Legit the main reason people hate Walter is he doesn't have a "powerful perk" and he does have the prestige of original don't starve status.

Wigifrid is an opera singer, not a real viking.

Being an insomniac is supposed to limit Wickerbottom's access to sanity regen, which is what her books use, making it play directly into her main kit.

Bernie was a mistake made by DST devs when they gutted Willow the first time that they doubled down on.

Wendy's literal theme is death and despair, this is like asking why Webber isn't attacked by spiders.

People have the right to be annoyed at Walter because he has all this stuff in his kit and none of it plays off each other at all.  He's entirely comprised of side perks which don't really do anything interesting when all added to a single character.

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

A really useful team perk about him that I haven't seen anyone talk about is being able to map out the world insanely quick.

In a recent endless world that I started with some friends, we generated a 600x600 world(Usual worlds are 450x450). I was able to map out the entire border of the map, and some good chunks of mid-areas in around 6 days and I was able to make maps for each one of my friends.

You're right and I should have thought of this. Woby does make it very easy for Walter to map out the entire landmass, not just the borders.

1 minute ago, Beeremy the III said:

Wigfrid isn't a battle viking. She's a stage performer. You don't need the short to know this, as even in original Don't Starve, she is Wigfrid, the Performance Artist.

That's fine but on the flip side it doesn't explain her battle perks method acting doesn't give you life leeching I was more so using her to compare to the Walter didn't pick one theme thing.

3 minutes ago, Beeremy the III said:

Her sister is a ghost. Wendy has a unique connection to ghosts, being able to make tonics and brews for not only Abigail, but also player ghosts (haunt vigor mortis for a speed boost).

Her "connection" is never explained as it's said she learned how to make the buff potions and considering ghosts can be seen what is stop our ghosts from saying that guy is cool don't bother him.

6 minutes ago, Beeremy the III said:

I don't hate Walter, I just wish he was on par with the rest of the survivors. I also feel this way about Wurt. Right now, I don't think he or Wurt are very good.

I was more so saying most complaints about him not having a theme I see end up as this but not all.

8 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

Being an insomniac is supposed to limit Wickerbottom's access to sanity regen, which is what her books use, making it play directly into her main kit.

So having a slingshot for ranged combat, a dog for speed, and a tent for healing doesn't play into any downside our friend Walter might have?

9 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

Wendy's literal theme is death and despair, this is like asking why Webber isn't attacked by spiders.

No this is like saying Maxwell shouldn't be attacked by nightmare creatures because he's a master of shadow magic.

11 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

People have the right to be annoyed at Walter because he has all this stuff in his kit and none of it plays off each other at all.  He's entirely comprised of side perks which don't really do anything interesting when all added to a single character.

What does play off each other mean people are always vague about it wicker bottoms books don't all do the same thing either and it's straight lying if people are saying his abilities have no uses.

40 minutes ago, Beeremy the III said:

Yes he does, they all revolve around a boy scout. He's a brave child so he isn't afraid of things he should be, but this illusion is shattered when he receives grievous wounds. The tent roll and slingshot help to mitigate his downside of losing sanity while injured since the tent makes recovering health & sanity a lot easier, and the slingshot makes avoiding damage easier. His dog, another stereotypical thing for cartoon boy scouts to have, also helps him avoid damage and scout the map out. As a boy scout he can also tell campfire stories and likes nature, two more things to counteract his downside.

The only thing that doesn't fit into all of that is that he's allergic to bees. But why would a strongman be afraid of the dark & monsters? Why would a librarian be an insomniac? Why would a lumberjack transform into animals? Why would a mime have low health? A lot of characters have attributes about them that don't fit, but if we're pointing fingers at people who are perk salad look at Wormwood, not Walter.

Wormwood's a plant that can plant things in the ground, isn't attacked by lureplants, isn't attacked by bees, has bees follow him, can create living logs, can create thorns armor, can create aoe tooth traps, can create fertilizer, can't heal from food, can heal from fertilizer, gains sanity when planting things, loses sanity when killing plants, has plants planted by him last longer, automatically makes plants happy, can run fast, becomes hungry faster, doesn't lose sanity from being wet, has minor resistance to overheating, takes more damage from fire, burns longer, and probably more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

Why would a plant run fast? Plants don't move at all, that's the opposite of what plants do. You just don't like Walter because you saw someone else say Walter's perks don't make sense because they saw someone else say it because they saw someone else say it. This whole Walter crap started because before Walter was even released some person randomly decided to say his perks don't make sense right at the top of the page so in addition to them making that statement before being able to play him they made that statement before even really thinking the perks over.

Frankly Walter is one of the most coherent characters in the game. All of his perks revolve around his sanity downside with a boy scout aesthetic.

Gameplay-wise: I don't really care about Walter. I'll play any character as long as they aren't pre-rework Willow/Woodie.

Lore-wise: I wish Klei explained his 'fearlessness' through a mental illness. I mean, dude saw the Deerclops and wanted to feed him. If he had some quotes that alluded to some sort of mental illness, for example that he can't take his medication in the Constant or something, I'd be happy. But as far as I know he simply goes 'Hoho this is so cool. Oh wait, will getting my faced caved in hurt? Ohhh now I'm not so sure..' which makes him seem dumb. And also short and stinky.

Hi uhm just going to add my two cents into this conversation- so as you guys may or may not have noticed: Characters have skins now (I know WOW right?!) and we’ll you see the thing about skins is: Walter can be a Boy Scout, or he Can be a Detective or Wurt can be a Merm, or an Actual Fish- And their Perks feel all over the place and not centered on one specific role because they HAVE TO BE.

If characters only had one generic look and their skins couldn’t make them into something else- Then yeah all your points would be valid… but for NOW as long as a character has skins for different roles- then their actual perks have to feel like a mix and match of various roles.. Not centering on one particular thing: But rather having perks that benefit each of their skin types (with obvious exception to Halloween costumes)

K thanks that’s all I have to contribute have a lovely Day :wilson_love:

7 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Gameplay-wise: I don't really care about Walter. I'll play any character as long as they aren't pre-rework Willow/Woodie.

Lore-wise: I wish Klei explained his 'fearlessness' through a mental illness. I mean, dude saw the Deerclops and wanted to feed him. If he had some quotes that alluded to some sort of mental illness, for example that he can't take his medication in the Constant or something, I'd be happy. But as far as I know he simply goes 'Hoho this is so cool. Oh wait, will getting my faced caved in hurt? Ohhh now I'm not so sure..' which makes him seem dumb. And also short and stinky.

The boy not afraid of anything is where we draw the line tho? And not the 2 human characters who will die before not consuming specific foods or properly prepared foods? If you think about it barring the reaction to monsters the pain and sanity relationship with stats is the most realistic reaction to things. I likely not be holding up too well either after being mauled by monsters and walking away probably wouldn't fix that.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hi uhm just going to add my two cents into this conversation- so as you guys may or may not have noticed: Characters have skins now (I know WOW right?!) and we’ll you see the thing about skins is: Walter can be a Boy Scout, or he Can be a Detective or Wurt can be a Merm, or an Actual Fish- And their Perks feel all over the place and not centered on one specific role because they HAVE TO BE.

If characters only had one generic look and their skins couldn’t make them into something else- Then yeah all your points would be valid… but for NOW as long as a character has skins for different roles- then their actual perks have to feel like a mix and match of various roles.. Not centering on one particular thing: But rather having perks that benefit each of their skin types (with obvious exception to Halloween costumes)

K thanks that’s all I have to contribute have a lovely Day :wilson_love:

If we look at all of Walter's non-event skins (the only ones I will grant a small bit of "Yeah, this is probably canon"), we get (iirc) Detective, Guest of honor, and Survivor. The perks have nothing at all to do with the detective skin. The Guest of Honor is a boy scout skin, just fancier than the original. The Survivor has a little promise though. With the Survivor skin, the tree sanity bonus makes sense, and the slingshots, Woby, and the tent roll. Campfire stories wouldn't make sense though, nor would the hat, and none of these skins explain how Walter and a gourmet chef cook at the exact same speed.

walter doesn't really need the bee related downside, most of his challenge amounts from his downsides of not gaining sanity from clothing, lower stats, and sanity loss on hit. all the bee downside does is encourage you to swap characters before you fight bee queen

Archived