Why Walter is generally (in my humble opinion) dumb, short, and stinky.

I feel like they just kept piling stuff on him with no certain theme in mind. He's got a slingshot, ammos, a hat, and a tent. Ok, cool. But he also has an allergy to bees. Alright. Oh, I almost forgot he ALSO has this totally weird sanity thing where hats don't benefit him but being hit by Bearger unarmored and without his unique hat will instantly make you insane. 

Alright, that's enough. Oh yeah, there's also Woby, this unkillable dog thing that just acts as a Chester/Beefalo hybrid that doesn't really mesh with any of Walter's kit. 

It's just too much. And some of his abilities kinda work together, but all the other random stuff kinda just overshadows it.

I was afraid they might do the same to Wanda, but thank goodness they didn't.

Spoiler

Oh wait, I also forgot about his campfire stories. THAT'S how much stuff there is. I completely forgot about it

11 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

I feel like they just kept piling stuff on him with no certain theme in mind. He's got a slingshot, ammos, a hat, and a tent. Ok, cool. But he also has an allergy to bees. Alright. Oh, I almost forgot he ALSO has this totally weird sanity thing where hats don't benefit him but being hit by Bearger unarmored and without his unique hat will instantly make you insane. 

Alright, that's enough. Oh yeah, there's also Woby, this unkillable dog thing that just acts as a Chester/Beefalo hybrid that doesn't really mesh with any of Walter's kit. 

It's just too much. And some of his abilities kinda work together, but all the other random stuff kinda just overshadows it.

Hide contents

Oh wait, I also forgot about his campfire stories. THAT'S how much stuff there is. I completely forgot about it

No, you're wrong. There's one hidden perk of Walter that I have neglected to mention.

When near a bunch of evergreens, Walter gains sanity.

This is such a stupid perk.

It makes sense because he's a boy scout, but then you have to wonder, why doesn't Wilson, a scientist, gain sanity from being near science-y things?

It's so. Unbelievably. Useless.

You will never, ever notice it in a normal game.

Here, I found out why Walter is so phat. It's because all his perks are stored in the stomach.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe he can be pals with Wendy then and her

-semi immortal sister with petal damage buffs

-buff tab

-no sanity loss from ghosts

-no hostility from ghosts

-lower sanity loss from dark

-no sanity loss from grave robbing

-weaker attacks

-sisturn sanity station

-pipspook mini game

None of Walter's perks are useless even his tree perk can be stacked with campfire stories.

Don't forget the fact that he can't have a critter. 

In all seriousness, Woby should have been replaced by a baby hound, with only 6 inventory spaces, and when he feeds the baby hound he turns into a varg or something. Woby is a entirely new creature! Nowhere in the constant we are going to find a dog like Woby, only hounds. 

His theme is boy scott and a bunch of traits that loosely relate to being a boy scout. His gameplay used to be sorta glass canon esque, where getting hit was really bad, except he didnt have the canon part, just the glass, and even then Wanda does the glass canon things a whole lot better. Walter just doesn't bring anything to the team aside from cheaper kramp sack farming if you dont want to kill klaus or play wicker. Woby doesn't make any sense either, I get klei wanted a fearless and coward duo sort of thing,  but she doesnt make sense, there's no explanation for why she's there, she just saved walter from deerclops once.

Honestly idk how youd fix the character, if it were up to me, id scrap the character entirely and make something new.

3 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Woby doesn't make any sense either, I get klei wanted a fearless and coward duo sort of thing,  but she doesnt make sense, there's no explanation for why she's there, she just saved walter from deerclops once.

That's why i would have loved Woby to be a baby hound, Because the hound it's an already established creature in the constant (Also There is already Baby hound in the Critter Cave)

1 hour ago, VirgilEngineer said:

Don't forget the fact that he can't have a critter. 

In all seriousness, Woby should have been replaced by a baby hound, with only 6 inventory spaces, and when he feeds the baby hound he turns into a varg or something. Woby is a entirely new creature! Nowhere in the constant we are going to find a dog like Woby, only hounds. 

We haven't even explored the entire constant even maxwell didn't know everything where are you getting the info that no creature like woby exsist in the constant where mobs just living in a certain area can mutate them.

5 hours ago, Beeremy the III said:

First off, he can craft a tent roll. Looks like we got a nice character with unique crafts to help the team! Let's see what else he can craft that the team can use. A boy scout hat which is used for sanity gain! What else? Oh, sorry, he doesn't have anything else. (if he has something else that's not slingshot related, feel free to call me dumb, short, and stinky)

If he had anything else he can craft that anyone can use he would just be another swap character like Warly or Winona. It's ok for characters to have perks that benefit themselves only, as long as they're able to do something for their team in general. In fact you could even argue that Walter is a great team player due to the special ammunition he can use to aid in a fight, considering most of the "team-based" characters are fighting oriented. Outside of fighting I couldn't tell you what Wolfgang is good for aside from eating all the food, same goes for Wendy or Wigfrid; at least with characters like Maxwell, Woodie, Wormwood, Wickerbottom, and Wurt you can do things to aid your team that doesn't involve combat.

5 hours ago, Beeremy the III said:

Fourth, while we're on the topic of downsides, Walter's main downside is that when he gets hit, his sanity goes bananas down the drain. This makes some coherent sense. If you go up and slap a child, they will cry. If you go up and slap a 24 year old, they will cry, but not as much. You can lessen this downside by wearing his special hat that makes him take less insanity from damage. You could also wear a helmet and take less damage in the first place, but the sanity drain is really oppressive if you're going to tank.

It's mostly to counter the fact that he doesn't lose sanity very easily, so that you can still go insane as him if you're not careful. In a sense it's also a pretty good downside as it discourages, as you said, tanking; so that indirectly encourages you to fight from afar. An interesting downside imo that changes the playstyle for players.

3 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

If he had anything else he can craft that anyone can use he would just be another swap character like Warly or Winona.

Not necessarily, no one swaps to him just to use his tent because only Walter is the only one who can pack up the tent and move it, making it just a regular tent for any other player. I imagine if Klei carefully designs any new items they add there wont be problems of swap characters

40 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

In fact you could even argue that Walter is a great team player due to the special ammunition he can use to aid in a fight, considering most of the "team-based" characters are fighting oriented.

You'd be surprised how many people don't realize slow down rounds work on bosses and significantly drop their speed by 1/3

Let's please keep the Walter hate train going. I'm quite tired of Klei never listening to community feedback when it's filled to the brim with actually good suggestions.

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Wigfrid's songs don't make sense for a battle viking.(using lore doesn't count)

Wickerbottom is can't sleep how is this related to her character.

Willow has a bear(see Wigfrid)

Wendy ghosts are passive to her why

Legit the main reason people hate Walter is he doesn't have a "powerful perk" and he doesn't have the prestige of original don't starve status.

Wigfrid's songs make perfect sense? She isn't actually a viking. Her whole gimmick is committed to the act of a viking.

Wickerbottom can't sleep because she is an insomniac. I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

Ghosts are passive to Wendy because she is friends with a ghost...

Also plenty of people love Wes. He has no redeeming perk. Plenty of people love Wanda, and she isn't from the original cast.

I'd also point out that I think Walter's bee allergy is perfectly reasonable. He's simply allergic to bees, what is wrong with that? Wigfrid only eats meat. Seems perfectly reasonable.

48 minutes ago, Souper said:

I'd also point out that I think Walter's bee allergy is perfectly reasonable. He's simply allergic to bees, what is wrong with that? Wigfrid only eats meat. Seems perfectly reasonable.

From a gameplay standpoint I don't think it really works. Wigfrid only eating meat works because hey! She's a fighter, and that helps her deal and manage her downside. Walter being allergic to bees, I don't think really adds anything? I guess it forces him to play more of a ranged role in the Bee Queen fight, (which is a pain solo).

I don't mind the allergy, but the way it's implemented right now, I just think it doesn't really work personally.

52 minutes ago, Souper said:

Let's please keep the Walter hate train going. I'm quite tired of Klei never listening to community feedback when it's filled to the brim with actually good suggestions.

Wigfrid's songs make perfect sense? She isn't actually a viking. Her whole gimmick is committed to the act of a viking.

Wickerbottom can't sleep because she is narcoleptic. I thought that was pretty self-explanatory.

Ghosts are passive to Wendy because she is friends with a ghost...

Also plenty of people love Wes. He has no redeeming perk. Plenty of people love Wanda, and she isn't from the original cast.

Wanda has extremely powerful perks and Wes is part of the original cast both already mentioned and as I said in a later I'm more so talking about the perk of battle perks mixing with singing perks which are different themes.

Wickerbottom not being able to was in reference to people saying his bee allergy doesn't make sense.

Wendy having a dead sister giving her a free pass with all ghosts however makes no sense. That's like saying beefalo in heat shouldn't attack you if you have a tame beefalo or spiders shouldn't attack non webbe who stand next to webber.

All that aside however the point of the post was to compare how bias people are against Walter's theming.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

Wanda has extremely powerful perks and Wes is part of the original cast both already mentioned and as I said in a later I'm more so talking about the perk of battle perks mixing with singing perks which are different themes.

Wickerbottom not being able to was in reference to people saying his bee allergy doesn't make sense.

Wendy having a dead sister giving her a free pass with all ghosts however makes no sense. That's like saying beefalo in heat shouldn't attack you if you have a tame beefalo or spiders shouldn't attack non webbe who stand next to webber.

All that aside however the point of the post was to compare how bias people are against Walter's theming.

Idk how anyone can be biased, really. I'm constantly hoping Klei released good (well designed) characters. If they release a bad character, people typically don't like them. Hence why the majority of people hate Walter. He is the worst character, I think.

Archived