Why Walter is generally (in my humble opinion) dumb, short, and stinky.

To be honest he's only good for scouting and shooting if you hate fighting in close range. His only upgrades is ammunition but his projectile shot capabilities are less than average. Overall he can be somewhat replaced by Woodie in terms of scouting (goose OST insert here), other than that at least Walter brings a spare chester with him anywhere he wants, increasing items you can carry. If you wanna pick up a lot of resources by bundling them and having extra storage for a ton more bundled supplies - Woby is there to help.

Lategame he's just that, a neat character for storage and transportation. If you don't do a lot of looting, gathering and all that then he's likely not your type of character unless ya just overall like him.

The bee allergy perk could have been a periodic thing and he'd need inhaler or something to use to remove bee debuffs idk. Klei could have thought of something more interesting cause it's just plain boring.

He's a cutie, but he is just sort of a Wilson or Winona in terms of being interesting for gameplay.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, Souper said:

Hence why the majority of people hate Walter. He is the worst character, I think

This is something i absolutely never understand. Walter is one of the most played characters i see on pubs all the time. Everyone in actual gameplay seems to like him or take a liking to at least some of his perks, because they are convenient. Yet many on the forum like to ignore this and say walter sucks 

42 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

This is something i absolutely never understand. Walter is one of the most played characters i see on pubs all the time. Everyone in actual gameplay seems to like him or take a liking to at least some of his perks, because they are convenient. Yet many on the forum like to ignore this and say walter sucks 

He is fairly popular, nowhere near the likes of Wendy or Wigfrid but he is still consistently picked in the middle or lower middle ranks. Neither the forums, nor the personal observations are representative of the actual broad patterns of character popularity. As far as the forums go, there are a few popular sentiments that love to be echoed here as most like bandwagoning behind them.

And as far as the data goes it's from: dst.resamvi.io Sadly it's been down Since Wanda's release so I cannot provide anything about how she has been shaking the character popularity. I wish there was a more functional tool out there, preferably an official Klei one that kept and reported the DST statistics openly and conveniently so the forumites could be a tad bit more accurate on their remarks.

2020-07-26.thumb.png.5ea944d7dcbf254df36f1422c755bcc5.png

57 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Thematically Walter is awful. Gameplay-wise, his perks are convoluted, utterly random and...... not intriguing. This is a personal and subjective opinion. It seems to be shared by many players here on the forums however.

18 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

I have to wonder if wolfgang is popular as hell in other regions or something, i almost never see him.

same, I rarely encounter Wolfgang WX-78 when I play in public servers where Wilsons are a very common sight- conversely when I play in private lobbies Wilson becomes a rare sight for me. Player behavior and gameplay preferences really affect player choice aswell, as far as I can tell, Wolfgang and WX are much more popular solo picks than they are in multiplayer lobbies. 

And this makes sense Wolfgang's main perk is to carry the power of 2 players but if you have mutliple people anyway well what's the point? Even more so when Wanda exists who lets you have both power and other abilities.

1 hour ago, Primalflower said:

This is more so because rather than looking at anything else they check how easy it is to cheese a specific mechanic with a character and if a character doesn't do something "powerful" then they are considered trash. A good example is Woody's goose form was considered trash till it was given the ability to walk on water.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:01 PM, Beeremy the III said:

Sixth, Woby. Probably Walter's best perk. Not only do you get 9 extra inventory slots just for existing, a couple monster meat, and you can go really fast, as long as you don't get hit. You can also use the slingshot on Woby, so, go wild. The only issue is the fact that there's not really much to do with Woby and being a boy scout. Maybe something about returning lost dogs?

no pet = bad

remove woby

On 9/20/2021 at 11:53 PM, ShadowQueen said:

You basically spawn in with an already tamed beefalo

Isnt even close to a tamed beefalo 

Fun Fact: You can even kill mobs with poop pellets and enlightened crown.

Or you can use an axe with the crown and kill that mob in way less time

What's not to like about him?

He is fun but so underwhelming

Is wilson with an interesting downside and a inmortal chester. Everything else is fun but with 0 game impact

Just now, Mysterious box said:

Isn't Wolfgang legit buff Wilson tho?

ofc?

for that he is so boring to play. His only perk is make boss fight quickly/easier

also wicker is boring for that, you are only a wilson that has penalty for not knowing how to manage food and not sleep (which for unexperiencie players i guess) but most of the time you are a wilson with a boring art desing

it can be applied to wx too. He is just a wilson with op stats and access to op "food"

but that only makes my point stronger. Walter doesnt bring any perk that change the way of playing, sure his downside is fun to overcome but other than that, you are a default character with few perks, the same kind of characters that we had back in strange new powers. With a better and modern  design but in terms of gameplay doesnt change a lot

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ofc?

for that he is so boring to play. His only perk is make boss fight quickly/easier

also wicker is boring for that, you are only a wilson that has penalty for not knowing how to manage food and not sleep (which for unexperiencie players i guess) but most of the time you are a wilson with a boring art desing

it can be applied to wx too. He is just a wilson with op stats and access to op "food"

but that only makes my point stronger. Walter doesnt bring any perk that change the way of playing, sure his downside is fun to overcome but other than that, you are a default character with few perks, the same kind of characters that we had back in strange new powers. With a better and modern  design but in terms of gameplay doesnt change a lot

The reason he is popular is because he changes the way you play when compared to most of the base game survivors at a casual level as most players don't feel like taming beefalo, expending effort for ranged combat, don't get chester in time, like his stories ability, and like the idea of a portable tent sure at lower skill levels his downside is hard to manage and at high skill levels he doesn't after a ton combat wise but and immortal chester/beefalo that requires no care taking does indeed change how people play or atleast more than a character like wortox.

I would rather his slingshot be given to a more ranged focused character, and then have Walter more focused on his Boy Scout / Wilderness Survival themes.

His slingshot really adds nothing to the rest of his upsides, downsides, or over all theme.

It's a fun tool, but take it away and it doesn't feel like anything essential was lost.

Everyone always complains about the bee thing, "why is this child allergic to bees" they say. Frankly, someone who does a lot of research with bugs, every, 90% of the population claims to have some sort of bee allergy. I think Klei should make MORE characters allergic to bees. Wilson should be allergic to gluten too.  

Ya know... for realism 

I think Walter just needs streamlining and one good, unique perk separate from his sanity dealeo.

- Remove the portable tent, and instead allow Walter to sleep on big Woby while continuing to move

- Improve slingshot combat, and make them more effective against bees to complement his bee allergy quirk, and let Walter gain 2x sanity gain from Bee Queen Crown reversing insanity aura to give more gameplay weight to that mechanic

- Shorten the campfire story length, and allow the story to temporarily make allies fearless like him!

For a more substantial, unique perk, personally I want something like Walter being able to herd Hounds and combat Hound waves - tying back into his identity as a boy scout who pledged to take care of and return doggies like Woby, and is also fearless of monsters, which Hounds also are.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:26 PM, Beeremy the III said:

No, you're wrong. There's one hidden perk of Walter that I have neglected to mention.

When near a bunch of evergreens, Walter gains sanity.

This is such a stupid perk.

It makes sense because he's a boy scout, but then you have to wonder, why doesn't Wilson, a scientist, gain sanity from being near science-y things?

It's so. Unbelievably. Useless.

You will never, ever notice it in a normal game.

Here, I found out why Walter is so phat. It's because all his perks are stored in the stomach.

Well it can kind of remind him of camping (which assuming he loves) because he is a boy scout.

Archived