Why Walter is generally (in my humble opinion) dumb, short, and stinky.

From my experience Walter is new-player trap. 

1. Hee-hee shooting birds. Wait? What is that noise? What are these guys with big bags?

2. On boat when not run enough early he is just magled by sharks and then by Wavey. (and some people are like "Run? Where? How? AAAAAAAH!")

3. BEEEEEEEES!

I would discourage choosing him without knowing game. Also I don't find him fun - I would say he is almost so suicidal as Wendy, just Wendy says it in less stupid way (not to mention her sis very well proctects her from that). I remember he was supposed to be DLC paid character, but instead was for free, possibly when devs realised he is not much "wow".

I think thematically he’s okay, and gameplay wise it’s an amazing early game character.

But after the initial explorations, ruins rushing, or carrying the shadow pieces before the first full moon, he doesn’t have much to offer (if anything). 

Walter specifically has a lot of side perks, 2 main perks out of which one is great but only early game (Woby) and the other, the slingshot, is poorly balanced and has niche uses only. And to compensate he has really tough cons.

So in the end playing as Walter, at least to me, ended up feeling like “why? Why do I go through all this?” the good parts don’t outweighs the immense frustration of getting a couple of ticks of damage and instantly summoning 2 terror beaks to finish you off. You always have to melee as Walter, since his slingshot will otherwise make you waste an obscene amount of time.

How would I fix him: increasing his slingshot’s rate of fire significantly, so if you took all the trouble to make marble or cursed rounds your DPS is at least fresh hambat level (so it’s decently high, but still opens the possibility of dealing even more damage with a dark sword should you choose to take the risk). This would allow you to actually keep on fighting at range without feeling you are wasting too much time, and seeking the true “no hit” experience. And also making freeze and cursed rounds have a small AOE on hit, so they work against group of mobs and turns Walter’s late game into a unique ranged experience.

17 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why would a plant run fast? Plants don't move at all, that's the opposite of what plants do.

jk or for real? the green gem that fell from the moon and holds his being together might be the clue. ;-)

I dont think id call any character a perk salad and most definitely not Wormwood, everything about him is thematically justified and very little about him feels superfluous or out of place.

Wormwood after RWYS is the gold standard for a very unique and fun to play character that doesnt break the game. 

When some random laddie $hitposts about one of your 2 co-mains.. in a very childish way to boost. Fine times in Constant lands.

Like others above, I would point Walter isn't a beginner-to-medium player-friendly. Rather, he has some specific niches that make good use of ranged combat. For instance he not only can obtain a lot of Morsel meat from "gold-pellet-ing" Rabbits and Birds, but can also farm Krampi at same time with but a small pen for baiting them - thus MM and Charcoal hoarding as well. Afterwards, with deemed Morsels surplus, he has a very advantageous 1:9 exchange with Pig Kig for Gold and procure even more Golden Pellet Ammo. I won't go into further details of how his pellet rests are profitable (again, niche), yet for certain players knowing what-to-do-and-when Walter is quite-so-very fine to play. His personal arsenal of pros (and, by extension, cons) is consistent with his boy-scout persona even if leans a bit into the bloated side of things (making him look after a fashion as some modded character as opposed to early KLei designs - accent on "early"). All-in-all, for a freebie, is ok - once more: for advanced players desiring variety and peculiar play-styles.

9 hours ago, Souper said:

Idk how anyone can be biased, really. I'm constantly hoping Klei released good (well designed) characters. If they release a bad character, people typically don't like them. Hence why the majority of people hate Walter. He is the worst character, I think.

I call it bias because people consider him badly designed based purely on the fact his perks aren't strong enough then say his theme and perks do not match despite this completely not being the case.

Fighting bosses solo with Walter is as pleasant as pulling teeth. (Unless you perfected kiting to Master Ninja levels)

His slingshot would greatly benefit from some firerate upgrade at least. Since meleeing bosses usually ends up with fighting 2 Terrorbeaks along side it unless you have crate full of cactus or taffy on standby.

25 minutes ago, Ohan said:

jk or for real? the green gem that fell from the moon and holds his being together might be the clue. ;-)

I dont think id call any character a perk salad and most definitely not Wormwood, everything about him is thematically justified and very little about him feels superfluous or out of place.

Wormwood after RWYS is the gold standard for a very unique and fun to play character that doesnt break the game. 

Yellow gems are the ones that grant speed and Wormwood's speed boost wasn't part of his base design it was a bonus perk so there is no lore justification. Actually I personally think his green gem is what gives him his green thumb tab as it's used in construction.

24 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Yellow gems are the ones that grant speed and Wormwood's speed boost wasn't part of his base design it was a bonus perk so there is no lore justification. Actually I personally think his green gem is what gives him his green thumb tab as it's used in construction.

My point was his magical moon gem is the reason why a "plant" like wormwood can run. because it was implied that wormwood is just regular real life plant that shouldnt be able to move lol. 

just because his moon gem looks green does not mean its the same geen construction gem from the ruins... i think thats pretty obvious? and his speed boost was always part of his design since he was introduced in hamlet wdym?

When he blooms he drains more hunger, his metabolism goes in overdrive and thats why he's able to run faster, theres ur reasoning. 

13 minutes ago, Ohan said:

My point was his magical moon gem is the reason why a "plant" like wormwood can run. because it was implied that wormwood is just regular real life plant that shouldnt be able to move lol. 

just because his moon gem looks green does not mean its the same geen construction gem from the ruins... i think thats pretty obvious? and his speed boost was always part of his design since he was introduced in hamlet wdym?

When he blooms he drains more hunger, his metabolism goes in overdrive and thats why he's able to run faster, theres ur reasoning. 

While I understand what you mean gems powers have been constants in the constant and we have no reason to believe wormwood's gem would be any different.

I’m completely confused about how a thread about Walter suddenly became about Wormwood but other then that-

I completely disagree with Walter not being new player friendly, having a permanent extra 9 storage slots and a Beefalo in your pocket that only needs to be feed 3 monster meat is not something to easily over look- AND more importantly expert players wouldn’t even NEED these perks because they would go get a better backpack, walking canes or tame a real Beefalo.

Walter has downsides yes, BUT Walters downsides (like all other characters) are completely null and void once you know how to deal with them.

His sanity losing Con also has several Walter exclusive methods of restoring it that honestly.. what’s the point in having this as a Con at all? Standing in between 5 trees while wearing his pinetree pioneer hat, telling the same old camp stories at night by a campfire, using his own unique portable tent.. The kid has all this extra fluff when any EXPERIENCED Player would know Meta ways of dealing with that con without needing all these extra gimmicks.

The thing is: Those extra gimmicks aren’t there for you experienced people, it’s there for the newbies who actually need them extra weird ways to restore sanity.

Walters Late Game falls short as others have pointed out- with Slingshots just not being very valid in anything other then shooting a handful of small mobs.

Woby remains useful the entire time for Walter- Early or Late game.

Bee’s.. This downside is hilarious- I wish it was more severe if he is supposed to be “Deathly Allergic” (the game does have a rarely used Booster shot Craftable after all) But it is what it is I guess.

26 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

While I understand what you mean gems powers have been constants in the constant and we have no reason to believe wormwood's gem would be any different.

wormwood's moon gem is an intentionally unclarified lore tidbit so everyones free to have their own opinions about it. my point wasnt that his "green gem" (which u see as a construction gem but i dont) is what gives him the ability to run fast like i clarified in my previous reply. 

Thats all ill say on this since this really wasnt the point of my original comment at all. :mrgreen: and we're in a walter topic. 

1 minute ago, Ohan said:

wormwood's moon gem is an intentionally unclarified lore tidbit so everyones free to have their own opinions about it. my point wasnt that his "green gem" (which u see as a construction gem but i dont) is what gives him the ability to run fast like i clarified in my previous reply. 

Thats all ill say on this since this really wasnt the point of my original comment at all. :mrgreen: and we're in a walter topic. 

Fair enough

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

Wormwood is lightweight cause he is a plant and when bloomed his petals or leaves depending on stage of bloom can act like sort of "sails" or "wings"

There. A headcanon why he can run fast when blooming. ^^

This is my head cannon. Like pikmin lol

I was serious about that “Booster Shot” by the way- it’s a thing that’s in the game.. that’s only CURRENT purpose is to restore your health core stats after you have died a few times (which for experienced players won’t happen often) BUT if this same craftable were used for poison damage over time bleed out effect.. AND Walter had this effect after being stung by bee’s (very very slow health core bleed down) What it would effectively do is teach players the importance behind a lesser crafted Item.

(and when it comes to NEW players who die often rather they’re playing as Walter or not.., Knowing/ Passively learning how to craft this and restore their health cores would be vital information.)

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m completely confused about how a thread about Walter suddenly became about Wormwood but other then that-

I completely disagree with Walter not being new player friendly, having a permanent extra 9 storage slots and a Beefalo in your pocket that only needs to be feed 3 monster meat is not something to easily over look- AND more importantly expert players wouldn’t even NEED these perks because they would go get a better backpack, walking canes or tame a real Beefalo.

Walter has downsides yes, BUT Walters downsides (like all other characters) are completely null and void once you know how to deal with them.

His sanity losing Con also has several Walter exclusive methods of restoring it that honestly.. what’s the point in having this as a Con at all? Standing in between 5 trees while wearing his pinetree pioneer hat, telling the same old camp stories at night by a campfire, using his own unique portable tent.. The kid has all this extra fluff when any EXPERIENCED Player would know Meta ways of dealing with that con without needing all these extra gimmicks.

The thing is: Those extra gimmicks aren’t there for you experienced people, it’s there for the newbies who actually need them extra weird ways to restore sanity.

Walters Late Game falls short as others have pointed out- with Slingshots just not being very valid in anything other then shooting a handful of small mobs.

Woby remains useful the entire time for Walter- Early or Late game.

Bee’s.. This downside is hilarious- I wish it was more severe if he is supposed to be “Deathly Allergic” (the game does have a rarely used Booster shot Craftable after all) But it is what it is I guess.

I'm not sure if it's right to call Walter beginner friendly as from a beginner stand point his downside is more pronounced than a character like Wanda where not being careless is enough to keep you alive. Walter on the other hand snowballs when you make mistakes and the worse off you are the harder it is to recover. While Wanda has a glass cannon fighting style she's alot safer most of the time than other characters and slowly removes most of her downside. Walter on the other hand is never truly safe from his he can only mitigate it abit.

I've always felt like Walter is all over the place, and I know I'm not alone in that. He's all over the place, although I'm not sure how bad that is? I mean, I think a lot of people like when Survivors have a single, good power, and a unique downside - and hopefully, when combined, you'll have a fun character. Even if these characters are simple in essence, that doesn't stop them from being played in interesting and creative ways.

Winona can take a hit from darkness, but people play her for her structures. Woodie can recruit pigs for longer, but people play him for his transformations. Webber can grow a silk beard, but people play them for their spiders. I feel like Walter is pretty much just a bunch of these pint-sized perks combined into one character, and some happen to be better than others. Is that the main issue, that he's all over the place? Is having a free mount/extra inventory space enough to make him a good character? Is having his own, unique ranged weapon good enough?

On 9/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Hornete said:

A really useful team perk about him that I haven't seen anyone talk about is being able to map out the world insanely quick.

In a recent endless world that I started with some friends, we generated a 600x600 world(Usual worlds are 450x450). I was able to map out the entire border of the map, and some good chunks of mid-areas in around 6 days and I was able to make maps for each one of my friends. Only cost was the monster meat I needed to feed Woby to keep her fast and big. And again, that was a 600x600 world, imagine a 450x450 world!

I'd like to see more scout crafts, that's all I could ask for(Oh yeah, and uh do something about that bee downside, forgot about it again even when this post mentioned it, haha)

What timezone? may I join?

Archived