Snow: Its Issues n' More

I'm not sure if these are issues for any of you, but it is bugging me to all heathen. I keep having issues with snow that overall don't feel like mechanics. It feels like an annoyance.

SNOW:

• Paths - Snow keeps covering the paths, and I can't see them. Yes, Snow does indeed cover things when it comes down. But from a video game sense it's super obnoxious. 

BRIGHTNESS:

• Nightmares - This is a double team between the brightness and the snow. It makes the nightmares practically impossible to see. I'll be insane sitting still then.....

WAMMO!!!!

They come out of nowhere. 

If it's possible to fix these in a QOL PLEASE DO! If you guys have any "Snow" issues, please post them.

Sincerely,

Cactus

I know why people don't like the nightmares in Winter. I too have to squint hard at my screen and burn my eyes lol. However, that's why avoid becoming insane in Winter and at this point I feel like its part of the difficulty. You wont really see much in a blizzard irl and the hard to see nightmares add to the horror.

The path thing is similar. The snow hindering you is part of the difficulty of Winter in a way. Winter places a choke hold on you making emergency trips harder. Still, I think placing a dwarf star should melt away snow a bit to make deerclops kiting easier on roads when you weren't lucky enough to get a walking cane. Its a miniature sun and starcaller staffs are a late game item.

Dear Cactus, 

It's not just you, the visual residues of snow most definitely annoy many other people, evident from the popularity of these snow removal mods. Besides the roads and nightmare monsters, the snow on the ground also obstructs farm tiles, tentacle indicators of Wurt and much more.

That said, I believe these to be intentional difficulties that come with winter. As others stated, obstructing the roads and nightmares add to the difficulty of the season and it's logical for plural centimetres of snow to prevent vision and movement. Nightmare disadvantage can be avoided by staying sane anyway. This is like the debate about the option to add insanity filter and sound removal option. I'm on the side of the argument that defends the authenticity of these visual and auditory effects.

Sincerely,

Sinanco

The only times when snow bothers me is on 3 occasions:

1. When it covers the roads. However I like to place things like Rot to mark where I can run to in order to combat this.
  2. When it comes to seeing Tentacles in the swamp as Wurt. Although if I tend to frequent a route I usually just kill the tentacles anyways.
  3. When I'm trying to build based on tile placement. Not much-a-do about this unfortunately, something I should be doing in the off-seasons tbh.

For sure I'd at least love some new interactions with snow in the future such as building a snowman that either gives passive sanity or immediate upon building (kinda like the sand castle from SW), or a snow shovel to plow them with / way to melt snow tiles.

21 hours ago, -Variant said:

Saw the title and half expected this to be an ad for some amazing new shovel technology.

I saw the title and tried to parse "Snow: it is issues and more", until I realised that it just doesn't say what it meant to say. Took me a good 1.5 seconds.

I'm disappointed how pathetic this is. Klei has consistently making the game easier over the years because people complain, and out of all the things you could complain about, it's snow being inconvenient. I haven't had any problems with shadow creatures and snow. How about you do something about it?  find solution for problem yourself or just get better.

Snow covering the roads?  Is exactly why I did this:

106springiscoming.png.f724c4bea99a11b028c8abc64f7a28a6.png

I planted them before winter specifically for this.  If you walk on this side of the trees you'll be on the road.  :)  (Yes, people do turn their screens, but if you ask me "What direction is this from you?" you can calibrate it eventually.  Why not trees on BOTH sides? The answer to that is...have you SEEN these trees?!  I'd like to be able to see where I'm walking _at all_, thank you.)

As for insanity though...yeah it does make things weirdly bright.  I tried a "lights out" world a bit ago and by the time I was getting attacked by my own demons, it might as well have been a full moon!  Or a bit brighter, actually:   

shadowonshadowaction.thumb.png.f127d2c0aef1c678a7d238f54cb23e35.png

It was SO WEIRD.  I had no idea insanity brightened things that much until I tried that.  The nuttier I got, the brighter it was until I could totally see clearly all around me.  (Okay yes I'm playing as Charlie and am in my shadow form. This is NOT what her nightvision looks like, however. This is regular-but-washed-out DAYvision.  If I had a picture like this with a different character I would've used that, but, I don't.)

Now I'm imagining this effect in winter, in the _daytime_, and OWW, MY EYES...!

Yeah I think I'm gonna continue to AVOID insanity instead of trying to be insane all the time on purpose, thank you very much.  : P

...Notorious

Do you guys have your color filters set way too high or something? I have never had problems with the color of snow in DST, alternatively you can turn off Winter altogether if it bothers you that much-

Spring & Summer won’t be much better on you though..

DS and DST are both fairly bright games in terms of on screen colors: I recommend toning down your tv/monitor brightness while playing.

As for snow covering everything, that’s kinda the point... 

And hey check this out- Snow even covers PALM TREES in Dont Starve Single Player Outside of the Shipwrecked DLC.

647DAEEB-58D9-40D8-A0E1-A2C9A8212DA4.thumb.jpeg.86306aa2849b312f2e0e623f045195ea.jpeg

Some people say this is a “Glitch” but if it is... why do the Palm Trees have their own unique animations for the snow?? Pretty certain that’s not a glitch-

A glitch would be a oddly out of place Palm Tree with no snow on it at all.. 

This picture is from Xbox One DS Single Player: So no I did not mod this.. it’s 100% real.

So as you can see here: snow is even meant to blanket Palm Trees! How cool is that? :) 

On 4/9/2021 at 8:02 PM, WhackE said:

I'm disappointed how pathetic this is. Klei has consistently making the game easier over the years because people complain, and out of all the things you could complain about, it's snow being inconvenient. I haven't had any problems with shadow creatures and snow. How about you do something about it?  find solution for problem yourself or just get better.

Dude. Really? 

That's it. That's all I got to say. Your post deserves no more.

Sincerely,

Cactus

On 4/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, Majestix said:

I saw the title and tried to parse "Snow: it is issues and more", until I realised that it just doesn't say what it meant to say. Took me a good 1.5 seconds.

Thank you for pointing out my grammar mistake. I'm normally pretty on top of that, my bad. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

For anyone interested in seasonal filter overlay removal (among others), and plays on PC, here's a nice mod: Beauty Filter (in Chinese with customization in said language, thus that's that).

Otherwise yes, KLei should add some sliders/options regarding Seasonal overlays, more-so for Winter and how Shadow creatures are almost invisible over snow tiles. Plus some Insanity sounds & de-saturation adjustment options too.

Archived