Summer sucks

11 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Strongly disagree! With a nearby heat source you can stop yourself from freezing and you can use the ice hounds to freeze the regular ones for ages to give you breathing room and time. Fire damage is no joke and freezing regular hounds is far superior and more helpful than making them run away for a second because of a fire. Even not taking the whole destructive capability to the environment issue with fire hounds into account I'd still take ice hounds over fire hounds any day of the year.

Even if you do get frozen so do all the regular hounds leaving you with just the ice hounds to deal with and the rest you can take out one by one. 

You will recieve a lot of hits in that way making you wasting resources to make more armor, losing health and potentialy being stunlocked

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You will recieve a lot of hits in that way making you wasting resources to make more armor, losing health and potentialy being stunlocked

How exactly? If all the hounds are frozen and you only have the ice hounds to deal with, you will most definitely not receive a lot of hits, maybe 3 at most. Fire hounds are a different story since they don't come with a free aoe freeze.

It's almost like you're not even reading what people say.

3 hours ago, Hatty DeWitt said:

and if I take too long to load out of the caves, my base might just burn and destroy hours of progress without anything I can do to stop it if it happens offscreen and I don't see it to use my luxury fan in time, and then, all I'll be able to feel will be pain and frustration." moments.

I'd like to clarify since it's being mentioned a lot in this thread: unless you're actively standing still in one area, a fire starting offscreen will likely burn one or two things and then immediately get put out when the area is unloaded. If a fire becomes unloaded after starting (or the server resets) then it doesn't keep going while unloaded, it instantly replaces whatever's already on fire with the burnt version, and then there's not a fire anymore to spread to anything else. If you're actively moving through your base and your alchemy engine gets set on fire offscreen during a quick pop in and out of your base, it's not going to spread to every structure nearby, it's going to maybe spread to that wardrobe next to it and then both are going to get instantly burnt and the fire snuffed out by the time you've left the area with your moggles.

Something else I want to address in this thread...

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

This discussion is kinda silly when klei already said they will add rain on demand, no need to remove or rework(maybe fix offscreen problems and add more resources to regrowth) wildfires.

Everyone please please please please stop saying this as if it's a given, this is how misinformation spreads. The exact quote, from almost a year ago, is:

On 6/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, ScottHansen said:

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that volt goat numbers have been an issue for along time. Maybe we will find a way to address this in the Return of Them updates. I was not aware of the reason people were duplicating the moose/goose nests. An item that can trigger a rain as a means to combat wildfires sounds reasonable. 
I'll bring these up with the rest of the team

"I'll bring these up with the rest of the team" is the last word we got, to my knowledge, not "we are definitely going to add a way to summon rain on demand". And while the Volt Goat thing was addressed near-instantly, it's been almost a year with nothing related to summoning rain. For all we know, the idea could've just gotten as far as "this could stop other players from using the oasis" and immediately gotten scrapped. Gane design's complicated and we have no clue what's happening behind the scenes.

I really think at the moment, treating a rain item as something that absolutely WILL be added is just... not a good idea.

6 minutes ago, Freshness said:

How exactly? If all the hounds are frozen and you only have the ice hounds to deal with, you will most definitely not receive a lot of hits, maybe 3 at most. Fire hounds are a different story since they don't come with a free aoe freeze.

It's almost like you're not even reading what people say.

Depends of the number of each type and how close their come and in which orden. 

Anyways with fire hounds you dont need to fight near a fire source and their fire distracts a good amount of time. Is an exageration saying that fire hounds are more difficult

I read what others write. Dont start atacking because potato

2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I really think at the moment, treating a rain item as something that absolutely WILL be added is just... not a good idea.

That is right.

Will be weird to dont add it when is already a thing in ds but klei does this kind of weird decisions like not adding in 8 years a crsftable with glommer's loot

42 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Will be weird to dont add it when is already a thing in ds but klei does this kind of weird decisions like not adding in 8 years a crsftable with glommer's loot

The old bell was deliberately removed to prevent griefing and because of pvp.

Though I do agree some kind of use besides fuel for glommer items could be interesting.

seems to me the best compromise is having a new useful, long-term item crafted with antlion's teleport rocks, and also make wildfires never target structures.

20 minutes ago, Freshness said:

Though I do agree some kind of use besides fuel for glommer items could be interesting.

there's better ways to grief. if somebody is intent on griefing, there's no stopping them.

pvp is not very relevant at this point and i dont think ever was.

Somewhat on topic cos I mentioned it before: using telelocator staff to summon rain in summer, effectively stopping any case of wildfires and overheating.

Cons: disables oasis filling up, YMMV regarding success of summoning rain and also quite expensive to craft.

I would definitely want some updates to summer though, since there isn't really much to do other than beating up Antlion and oasis fishing (and the wildfires outside flingo range...). Some players use it as the best time to explore more of caves or rush ruins, but it does get stale over time and quite an easy way to avoid summer entirely.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

"I'll bring these up with the rest of the team" is the last word we got, to my knowledge, not "we are definitely going to add a way to summon rain on demand". And while the Volt Goat thing was addressed near-instantly, it's been almost a year with nothing related to summoning rain. For all we know, the idea could've just gotten as far as "this could stop other players from using the oasis" and immediately gotten scrapped. Gane design's complicated and we have no clue what's happening behind the scenes.

That is not, in fact, the last word we got on this. Somewhere during the beta or early live release of Forgotten Knowledge, Scott mentioned he's been talking about this with zark. And something something about finding the right way to do it.

Sadly, I am too lazy to dig up the post right now. :(

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

That is not, in fact, the last word we got on this. Somewhere during the beta or early live release of Forgotten Knowledge, Scott mentioned he's been talking about this with zark. And something something about finding the right way to do it.

Sadly, I am too lazy to dig up the post right now. :(

I believe that is about the archive turf, not the rain.

58 minutes ago, Freshness said:

wihtou enter in how many ways there is to grief, they had plenty of time to add something else for that loot

maybe with the new moon recipes that are suppose to come we will receive this

30 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I believe that is about the archive turf, not the rain.

both

The silly thing with summer is that overheating has basically the same mechanic as freezing during winter, except that it feels more boring and confusing (standing by a fire to warm up is straightforward whereas overheating that comes and goes at a whim and without indication is only confusing).

I think there's issues with summer, but I'm not vehemently against everything it stands for.

My main issues: 

Flingomatics need a lategame big brother that gives more coverage and less upkeep (for larger bases obv), whether this is in the form of forced rain or another structure, I don't care. But I just believe that more variety in ways to dealing with it rather than just building in a certain area or babysitting would be nice. Allow us to be creative with our base locations rather than locking us to the underground or 1 biome.

Summer needs more unique resources, or at least uses for them.

Cactus flowers are only used for flower salads (and that one shirt), which are kind of underwhelming compared to other more common options and rot incredibly fast. Maybe if they had some crafts that were useful outside of summer. Like a non-perishing healing item akin to honey poultice, maybe? (Kinda hard to compete with jellybeans though)

Desert stones are only useful for the lazy deserter, either the lazy deserter should have a solo player use, like harvesting things near it when channeling Heh needless plug. or there should be more things that you can do with the desert stones. Personally, I would like to move the deserter, outside of its current teamplay use, or any new structure/craftable away from simply being a teleportation device since telelocator already fills this role, and can work without another person channeling. All of this is just my opinion though, so yea, take this with some of warly's salt seasoning.

10 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Cactus flowers are only used for flower salads (and that one shirt), which are kind of underwhelming compared to other more common options and rot incredibly fast. Maybe if they had some crafts that were useful outside of summer. Like a non-perishing healing item akin to honey poultice, maybe? (Kinda hard to compete with jellybeans though)

i would love more uses for cactus flowers. being able to decorate end tables with them would also be appreciated, like Forget-me-lots. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:16 AM, Souper said:

Everything unique to summer exists just to be a huge pain in the ass. It can cause irreparable damage to a world outside of your control.

Sinkholes are just ******* annoying.

Random burning of structures, even off of your screen outside of your sight, is just ******* annoying.

There's almost nothing fun or rewarding about it. The most you get out of it is a lazy deserter, which is pointless for solo players anyway.

In contrast, winter provides so much extra content, all while not being incredibly oppressive for no reason.'

Things can be hard without being miserable. Summer is just miserable. Most people don't have enough flingos to cover their bases, and the time to constantly run around and refuel the ones that cover your mega-base-in-progress. And it wouldn't be so bad if there was at least a big pay off, but summer is just useless for the most part. You can go to the caves sure, but you shouldn't have to avoid your own base... wtf kind of design is that... (also some people don't play with caves)

/rant because some of my non renewable resources just burnt off screen and I didn't notice... #****summer #fixsummer

Sinkholes can be negated by offering stuff to the Antlion

Random burning of structures are only done on screen and can be negated with ice flingos (or by being in caves)

The Lazy Lazy Deserter Mod makes it useful in single player (and just better in general because you only need one person)

Anyone who doesnt have enough flingos to cover their base either has their base too big or didnt explore the map looking for clockwork in the 3 seasons before hand

I dont think summer is supposed to be fun or rewarding, its supposed to be the end of the year challenge like (I hope you are prepared for it this time!). Even so I find it pretty boring aswell and would like it to be made more fun and engaging rather then just "avoid getting **** on from 20 different disasters"

Call me mad but I would like to see an escalating seasonal difficulty. And by that I mean introducing additional seasonal obstacles the longer you survive.

With that random idea out of the way, I think wildfires could use some tweaking. I like the proposed idea of heatwaves, but imo the best solution would be a new optional summer boss (like Klaus) that drops a recipe for something that straight out disables wildfires in large area. It would be cheap and probably cover as much as lightning rod. Heck, maybe even make it as an attachment for lightning rods.

Also, to prove my madness mentioned before, I actualy like summer. Please disregard the fact that I always turn off wildfires.

Did any of you guys even play the original Dont starve? DST summer is a joke- it’s a cakewalk and the only people who REALLY hate it- Are the ones who’ve gotten used to Mega Base Building or simply hate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival-

You even plainly just said “Summers Harsh Enough Already, no need to add more to it that makes it more difficult.”

Meanwhile you want wildfires removed- but you don’t want to amp up the challenge of Having it removed by say for example- Adding Poisonous Shipwrecked scorpions and snakes to the Oasis biome or letting Antlion Sinkholes blister up and explode into temporary spawning points for Dragonfly larvae or Forge Magma Golems.

Webber has a “Magmatic” Spider head skin- and I would like to see that become an actual MOB he can befriend in his Rework that spawns in Summer.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did any of you guys even play the original Dont starve? DST summer is a joke- it’s a cakewalk and the only people who REALLY hate it- Are the ones who’ve gotten used to Mega Base Building or simply hate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival-

You even plainly just said “Summers Harsh Enough Already, no need to add more to it that makes it more difficult.”

Meanwhile you want wildfires removed- but you don’t want to amp up the challenge of Having it removed by say for example- Adding Poisonous Shipwrecked scorpions and snakes to the Oasis biome or letting Antlion Sinkholes blister up and explode into temporary spawning points for Dragonfly larvae or Forge Magma Golems.

Webber has a “Magmatic” Spider head skin- and I would like to see that become an actual MOB he can befriend in his Rework that spawns in Summer.

I am all for difficulty being ramped up. Summer, as is, is not difficult, it's obnoxious. There is a huge distinction there.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

nobody has said any of those things you imply

I like summer actually, most of the people who wanna play with me, struggle in the winter and consume all my resources then in summer they die, it's necessary because this make them understand to have foresight.

I instead like to play the summer and schedule my next task like "prepare" for killing bee queen, or explore or fishing like a boss in oasis for free king pig gold. 
I mean, it's fun! 

Maybe a new content in ocean will be awesome, but I just like it.

Archived