Summer sucks

On 2/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, QuartzBeam said:

"Uncompromising Survival"

If I had a dollar bill for every time someone used that tired marketing slogan to justify every bad mechanic Klei comes up with, there would be a mountain of money piled up to my chin.

thank you for speaking the truth, that 'excuse' is so tiring asjkhdskj 

I would not mind a little less smoldering range from a player , like a 7 to 8 title range, and a few seconds added to items smoldering  before catching on fire. Oh and a legit summer boss like Klaus or something. Other than that summer is ok , I just keep 2 hearing stones rotating in a fridge and rock the eyebrella when the stone starts to warm up. But yeah , smoldering/fires could use a tweak for sure.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did any of you guys even play the original Dont starve? DST summer is a joke- it’s a cakewalk and the only people who REALLY hate it- Are the ones who’ve gotten used to Mega Base Building or simply hate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival-

I've been megabasing since the original Don't Starve all the way back when the only two seasons were Summer and Winter, part of the charm of megabasing for is the feeling that you're conquering this harsh forsaken world, and ever since the release of Reign of Giants no feature has given me more headaches than smoldering. I'm all up for Deerclops, Dragonfly, Bearger and whatnot wrecking havoc in my base since I'm given plenty of warnings to avoid that from happening but smoldering just happens without previous announcement and the only way to combat it is spamming Flingomatics everywhere which also need to be constantly refueled every couple days. Back then our solution was the so-called Summer Base, also known as exiling yourself to the corner of the map for two hours before you can resume your activities, and that was the only thing you could do about until Shipwrecked bestowed the Dripple Pipes to us.

I even think Shipwrecked did Summer better than RoG, overheating is still present but instead of random fires ruining up your base there are massive volcano eruptions that keep scaling in size but never really feel unfair since you have plenty of warnings before they happen, not to mention the abundance of rocks and obsidian you get from surviving these eruptions coupled with the increased loot chance in trawling makes this season very fun for me personally.

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Did any of you guys even play the original Dont starve? DST summer is a joke- it’s a cakewalk and the only people who REALLY hate it- Are the ones who’ve gotten used to Mega Base Building or simply hate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival

To make mega bases you need to kill bosses and clean the ruins added to surviving the uncompromosing surface with his weather and things that hate you (tell me which things because the map is empty of enemies most of the time). Things that you refuse to do because are too difficult 

People make mega bases because is the last thing to do in the game when the game and their bosses become easy and routine

So pls, stop judging how other plays (lately you are doing it in most of topics) and give arguments like im doing. Is so annoying to see an unexperience player talking with superiority when is the one who refuses to do difficult things

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

To make mega bases you need to kill bosses and clean the ruins added to surviving the uncompromosing surface with his weather and things that hate you (tell me which things because the map is empty of enemies most of the time). Things that you refuse to do because are too difficult 

People make mega bases because is the last thing to do in the game when the game and their bosses become easy and routine

So pls, stop judging how other plays (lately you are doing it in most of topics) and give arguments like im doing. Is so annoying to see an unexperience player talking with superiority when is the one who refuses to do difficult things

I can not believe that I actually agree somewhat to an extend.

That being said I feel like you barely give any good arguments yourself.
Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

4 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

I've been megabasing since the original Don't Starve all the way back when the only two seasons were Summer and Winter, part of the charm of megabasing for is the feeling that you're conquering this harsh forsaken world, and ever since the release of Reign of Giants no feature has given me more headaches than smoldering. I'm all up for Deerclops, Dragonfly, Bearger and whatnot wrecking havoc in my base since I'm given plenty of warnings to avoid that from happening but smoldering just happens without previous announcement and the only way to combat it is spamming Flingomatics everywhere which also need to be constantly refueled every couple days. Back then our solution was the so-called Summer Base, also known as exiling yourself to the corner of the map for two hours before you can resume your activities, and that was the only thing you could do about until Shipwrecked bestowed the Dripple Pipes to us.

I even think Shipwrecked did Summer better than RoG, overheating is still present but instead of random fires ruining up your base there are massive volcano eruptions that keep scaling in size but never really feel unfair since you have plenty of warnings before they happen, not to mention the abundance of rocks and obsidian you get from surviving these eruptions coupled with the increased loot chance in trawling makes this season very fun for me personally.

I might not have been around at the very very beginning, but I wholeheartedly agree here. 
Even if anybody considers smoldering to just be this "Don't Starve thing", I just don't consider it as an engaging mechanic that adds any sort of fair challenge.

Did any of you guys even play the original Dont starve? DST summer is a joke- it’s a cakewalk and the only people who REALLY hate it- Are the ones who’ve gotten used to Mega Base Building or simply hate Uncompromising Wilderness Survival-

You even plainly just said “Summers Harsh Enough Already, no need to add more to it that makes it more difficult.”

Meanwhile you want wildfires removed- but you don’t want to amp up the challenge of Having it removed by say for example- Adding Poisonous Shipwrecked scorpions and snakes to the Oasis biome or letting Antlion Sinkholes blister up and explode into temporary spawning points for Dragonfly larvae or Forge Magma Golems.

Webber has a “Magmatic” Spider head skin- and I would like to see that become an actual MOB he can befriend in his Rework that spawns in Summer.

I have in fact played the original Don't Starve for a pretty significant amount of time. And yes I am used to Megabasing. Does that make me a "bad" player? Are you trying to tell me my playstyle isn't valid compared to pure "Uncompromising Wilderness Survival" that the game doesn't even truly have outside of its catch line?

You keep going on about these features that you want in summer that have no real need to be in summer as a compensation for smoldering being removed, but have you actually stopped to think about if this is really necessary? If you want more content, all the more power to you, hell I would love for more varied mobs to spawn depending on seasons, but I don't want to have random fire holes and Forge Magma Golems and Fire spiders just because wildfires were removed.
Not everything in a game needs to exist for the sole purpose of being a threat, or breaking what you built, no matter how many survival elements it might have. Especially when these things are so over the top with it all that it feels like the whole thing becomes a joke in my opinion. I mean how would the Antlion sinkholes even explode into lava pools, how would that make sense? Just because summer is hot doesn't mean there has to be fire everywhere.

Also as a side note, having forge mobs just be in the regular old constant would feel extremely off to me, it just wouldn't fit thematically. 

2 minutes ago, Freshness said:

"Wildfires are just a DST thing and it should be hard" vs. "They make you sit around for 2 hours and are annoying to deal with if you don't do that."

In winter a have to sit arround after the klaus kill because snow dowsnt let me build and going to caves is annoying because the humidity and cold

See? Is as dumb as yours but the thing is that that wasnt my argunent but seems like you need to put words in my mouth to be right

17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In winter a have to sit arround after the klaus kill because snow dowsnt let me build and going to caves is annoying because the humidity and cold

See? Is as dumb as yours but the thing is that that wasnt my argunent but seems like you need to put words in my mouth to be right

Yeah. Saying Summer sucks wasn't your argument. It was mine. You kept saying that wildfires are there to see if a player is prepared for them, to which I replied that this does not work well as a threat. Other than that you just kept saying how "it's a base feature" and that warrants it enough to not be removed or how "it's an actual thing that happens" which nobody ever said is the problem with them.

Besides, trying to make my argument come off as invalid or dumb by stating something that does not compare to the problem I have with wildfires in the slightest, just seems unnecessary.

Of course the caves suck in Winter, but nothing is pushing you to go there, if you go into the caves during Winter, then that was on your own accord and without any incentive that does not involve your entire base being at risk of burning.
Saying snow doesn't let you build does not make any real sense, it's a slight inconvenience at most when it comes to building, as it is difficult to see what the exact turf you're building on is, but that is about it.

Comparing this to wildfires not letting you build much because you're, again, putting whatever you're building in the first place at risk of starting to burn and wildfires forcing you to go to a location that you might not want to go to because of the same exact reason and just stay there the whole season, it just is not the same. These two things are radically different.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Hard disagree here. Megabasing isn't just a thing you start doing because bosses are too easy for you, and clearing the ruins certainly is not required for it. Megabasing is something you do just because it's fun to make things that look nice in this game, and you can make things that look nice without even having to engage with any bosses that don't come after you... so you only have to deal with Deerclops, really.

Heck, the only raid boss I'm kind of skilled with is Klaus, who I kill every once in a while to get some of the loot from the other bosses that are too difficult to me. I also haven't touched the ruins in like, probably an IRL year of playtime now, I just don't have fun with them. And I'm building stuff in my megabase constantly!

Megabasing doesn't inherently have anything to do with bosses or ruins. I don't agree with Mike's arguments here (wildfires suck), but trying to epicly own him by redefining megabasing is just rude and unnecessary.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, Well-met said:

The issue at hand is summer is simply tiresome. Babysitting flingos is not fun, building around flingos is not fun, wasting gears is not fun. If it weren't for their extremely abusable mob freezing power, flingos would literally have no purpose but to make summer a little bearable. Literally 80% of the playerbase handles summer by not even putting up with it, as they crawl to the caves until it's over.

"stay away from your base" holds no weight at all for a point.

try creating a brand new world that starts on summer. you'll pull your hair out like no other situation would make you. Even a starter winter world isn't nearly as bad.

I actually disagree.

• Having to constantly refill stats in DS (whether it's hunger or fuel) was the thing that made me love the game (apart from other aspects). It tought me, that life isn't easy and is a lot of grind sometimes, unless you find effective ways to deal with it. Which i needed as a kid to be tought.
  • I like building around flingos. I like that there are limitations that i have to adapt to. It makes the process of building bases more thoughtful.
  • Gears are already plentiful, (unless you are playing with 2 WX characters, that waste them) and renewable. They are easier to mas produce than volt goat horns, so the only way you will need them apart from flingos is ice boxes. Do you need 30 iceboxes? Especially now, that we have salt-boxes? If you don't like wasting gears, that's probably, because you percieve them as valuable. If flingos were less valuable, gears would be as well.
  • "Literally 80%" ? I doubt that number is that hight. Usually on pubs I see people actually being in the overworld. And I spent time in overworld in summer myself. I don't travel as much, because I carry only 1 pre-built fire. So I build my base during summer, or go out on the seas.
  • You don't have to stay away from your base. But you can and are encouraged to do so. Why would encouragement to leave your comfort zone be bad? For some beginners it is probably the first actual encouragment to spent time in caves. They can stumble upon new mechanics, dangers and resources, which they wouldn't unless encouraged to do so. I've seen a bunch of streamers joining caves only because of summer.
  • Starting in summer is the most challenging out of all seasons. Suddenly you start noticing new things about the game. That flowers can be very valuable coupled with tree shade. That looking for gold in caves and other basic resources is actually viable option. Or that wasting those two pig houses is worth it if you need to make an alchemy and thermal stone to survive.

See, i was a very frugal player (coming from single player DS where there is no regrowth and rocks are not renewable IIRC). And i rather died than to smash something down or to take that carrot rather than leave it for others. Only after i started to challange myself, did i find out, that if I need it, I can take it. And summer helped me realise that.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:00 PM, Lbphero said:

I never said this was super enticing gameplay or how it has to be, i already stated that i am very open to things changing...i literally just wanted to clarify that things all over the world don't burn if you're near them...they only burn if they're loaded, which is about a screen + a bit more offscreen...so you can technically just flingo what is important and then stay away from everything else to protect what you can see...

Things do load pretty far away from the player though (try some zoom out mods). Much more than a bit more offscreen. But i don't know, if the smoldering range is exactly the same. I think, that lowering that range + a character speaking about nearby smolder would be enough to balance this. Since then you can play a fireman and put it out. Maybe even smoke coming from the wildfire that can be seen from far away would be cool. But the smoke would make sense only after it has spread a little.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:25 PM, xxXolot said:

@ArubaroBeefalo is actually Willow in disguise.

Well, he does have Bernie with a mask as a profile picture :D

14 minutes ago, Freshness said:

My point was always that except for losing things like berry bushes, catcoons dens, etc and fires outside of the screen, summer isnt that bad.

If you dont like to leave the base or put flingos, which yeah, they are kinda pain but not like some people is complaining (charcoal, gloomer goop, turf, wood, etc exist), is your personal preference like for me winter in late game is way more boring because there isnt that much to do (unless is early game and you need mctusk or tams)

In summer i can keep building which needs turf work or go to the caves. In winter, after killing klaus i only can farm more materials, kill some cave boss to use morning star or pray for spring.  In both seasons you can kill surface bosses so in that there is no much difference 

So, instead of atacking me, convince me with arguments. I already admit many times the bad things of summer but i like it and seems like some people here can admit that other players like summer

21 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Isnt the main reason but to get all the decorative items you need it like duplicating toadskin, scales or having statues

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Isnt the main reason but to get all the decorative items you need it like duplicating toadskin, scales or having statues

That's like, 1% of the decoration in the game. There's no right way to megabase and no required items for it, it's just making things that look nice on a large scale.

49 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

What? Snow doesn't stop you from building anything. It's extremely easy and safe to wander around in winter you can literally just light trees up with a torch if need be. 

Also how is there nothing to do in Winter? It essentially has more content than any other season and other than certain resources not growing what is there that you can't do?

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

So, instead of atacking me, convince me with arguments. I already admit many times the bad things of summer but i like it and seems like some people here can admit that other players like summer

You were the one who said that I "put words in your mouth".

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

My point was always that except for losing things like berry bushes, catcoons dens, etc and fires outside of the screen, summer isnt that bad.

In summer i can keep building which needs turf work or go to the caves. In winter, after killing klaus i only can farm more materials, kill some cave boss to use morning star or pray for spring.  In both seasons you can kill surface bosses so in that there is no much difference 

You CAN build in summer, but MY point is that doing so puts what you are building and everything around what you are building at risk. It discourages building in summer on the surface and outside Oasis, because of that risk. Losing stuff is EXACTLY why I think wildfires are bad, not summer as a whole. There is nothing stopping you from building stuff in and of itself, but the big risk that is there all the time discourages big builds so hard, it just isn't fun. And yes I know flingos exist, but let me get into why I don't think they're a great solution in a bit.

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

If you dont like to leave the base or put flingos, which yeah, they are kinda pain but not like some people is complaining (charcoal, gloomer goop, turf, wood, etc exist), is your personal preference like for me winter in late game is way more boring because there isnt that much to do (unless is early game and you need mctusk or tams)

Some people ARE complaining about flingos. They cover relatively little range, need to be refueled all the time and they require resources that are obnoxious to gather AND you can't even gather one of them during summer, you have to get it before summer or else, well tought luck.
Also what does "charcoal, gloomer goop, turf, wood, etc exist" even mean? If you wanna tell me that yes you can refuel them, then yes. You can. That does not solve my issues. 
Lastly saying there is nothing to do in Winter besides getting mactusk or klaus or deerclops or gathering ice (which already are a bunch of things to do just saying) seems weird to me when you are trying to tell me that in summer you can build things. You can... still build in Winter. There's nothing stopping you, only deerclops would be a threat to builds at most, no wildfires, no firehounds, nothing. What is stopping you from building up stuff in Winter? As I said, at most turf is kinda annoying to place because you can barely see which turf is where because of snow but that is about it.

I always can get behind the cause of adding summer stuff as it’s currently my biggest gripe in a game I love. I think it has the potential to go beyond, but at least becoming parallel to winter would be a good start.

-Wildfire rework

-Mactusk equivalent

-Pengull and Ice equivalent

-Klaus equivalent

-the caves remaining cool temp but still having some new disturbance

-unique fauna and plants

-if they ever get to the point where they add year progression like year 2 winter having blizzards, I think periodic sandstorms in year 2 summer outside of the oasis would be neat (while remaining persistent in said oasis). 

And there’s still so many more things that can be done! The ocean is relatively unaffected by the seasons so that’s another vast area!

I'd be more okay with wildfires if they were tied to a weather event (a heatwave/drought) that would show up on the Rain-o-meter. It would make the management of ice-flingers less of a pain in the ass, without removing the threat entirely. Could also tie it to an increased speed for overheating, to compensate for the reduced challenge across the summer season. 

Maybe add some summer enemy that only appears during droughts to reward players for not turning the mechanic off entirely. I think summer desperately needs a MacTusk type enemy/reward. I don't find Antlion to be all that interesting, whereas the MacTusk hunt is one of my favorite parts of Don't Starve Together.

Since I'm a "middle of the road" type player when it comes to challenge, I don't want to remove a threat entirely, I'd just like it to be more fun to handle.

3 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Fire Hounds do not spawn in winter during hound waves.

You guys are being fed misinformation from somewhere.. I’m not exactly sure where we are getting our miscommunications from- but I CAN say for a fact that if you play on Xbox One, And you toggle OFF Summer, And set your seasons to only run Autumn & Winter & Spring- Hound Waves still come in Ice & Fire variants.

Now I am not sure WHEN this happens, it maybe doesn’t happen in the first year, but in further consecutive years it does happen.

They are most defiantly NOT tied to Summer & Winter Exclusively though- 

Because Fire hounds are not that uncommon- I don’t fully understand why people have such an issue with adding MORE enemies to the game capable of fire damage in the same manor as Fire Hound.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys are being fed misinformation from somewhere.. I’m not exactly sure where we are getting our miscommunications from- but I CAN say for a fact that if you play on Xbox One, And you toggle OFF Summer, And set your seasons to only run Autumn & Winter & Spring- Hound Waves still come in Ice & Fire variants.

Now I am not sure WHEN this happens, it maybe doesn’t happen in the first year, but in further consecutive years it does happen.

Because Fire hounds are not that uncommon- I don’t fully understand why people have such an issue with adding MORE enemies to the game capable of fire damage in the same manor as Fire Hound.

Fire hounds come in summer and autumn, never winter or spring.

I feel that if we can craft improved version of ice flingo that will be more fuel effiicent and cover wider range it will solve a lot of problems.

Also you can have desert stone  as one of ingredients to craft new flingo, so we get more incentive to kill the antlion.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

No. Just no. I've seen this argument elsewhere before. Fire hounds CANNOT spawn in a hound wave outside of Summer and Autumn. If you find Fire Hounds during Winter or Spring they are unloaded from a previous wave in the appropriate season.

MAYBE and thats a big maybe, they can somehow spawn in Winter if you have really messed with world gen settings and have completely removed certain seasons (I would have no idea but I am strongly doubtful) but even if that is the case with normal standard world gen and honestly any world gen where entire seasons arent removed (I doubt many people do this at all as turning off any season locks you out of certain content forever) it is simply not possible. Both special types of Hound are locked to their respective seasons as far as spawning is concerned.

As many said seasonal hounds SPAWNING are locked behind seasons, so you're actually spreading misinformation,
even when messing with settings, at most some hounds stay unloaded until a season in which they would not normally appear in.

Also the reason many people probably don't want more fire enemies isn't because they are fire enemies, but because of the way you describe them. Fire hounds suck because they periodically come to seek out you, which means you gotta lead them away from base. Not too bad though as once they are gone, you won't need to deal with them until the next time they show up.
Making Antlion's sinkholes explode into a magma pool which spawns lavae in said pool would suck way more as now you have to deal with a constant source of fire potentially being right next to your stuff for about 20 days. Summer is 15 days long. Thus this would extend into autumn as well, potentially even into Winter, depending on when exactly a sinkhole forms.
I already told you how much I dislike wildfires, and I don't think I have to specify why I dislike this idea almost equally as much.

Yeah. I don't think there's a good balance between fairness and challenge in summer. Sometimes you just completely don't see the antlion warning. And the result is potholes in your base for 20 days and a destroyed base. Or one grass smolders and u dont see it, so good bye grass farm, or base. It sucks that if you're going for a pretty base, you must build around a flingo because of summer. It limits creativity a lot. So a lot of people just remove smoldering in world gen, but of course u can't do that in public servers so it's very limiting for base design there.

Archived