Summer sucks

Everything unique to summer exists just to be a huge pain in the ass. It can cause irreparable damage to a world outside of your control.

Sinkholes are just ******* annoying.

Random burning of structures, even off of your screen outside of your sight, is just ******* annoying.

There's almost nothing fun or rewarding about it. The most you get out of it is a lazy deserter, which is pointless for solo players anyway.

In contrast, winter provides so much extra content, all while not being incredibly oppressive for no reason.'

Things can be hard without being miserable. Summer is just miserable. Most people don't have enough flingos to cover their bases, and the time to constantly run around and refuel the ones that cover your mega-base-in-progress. And it wouldn't be so bad if there was at least a big pay off, but summer is just useless for the most part. You can go to the caves sure, but you shouldn't have to avoid your own base... wtf kind of design is that... (also some people don't play with caves)

/rant because some of my non renewable resources just burnt off screen and I didn't notice... #****summer #fixsummer

2 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

things can only smolder if they're loaded, if you stay away from a place then it wont burn

The loading distance extends out of your screen a little bit though so things could still burn outside of your viewing distance.

Main topic, I do wish to see some more unique content for summer. Winter always felt much more unique and fun than Summer.

I think the smoldering should come in periodic "Heat Waves" that are announced and more telegraphed, ambient temps could also spike then so ud need extra protection or something. that would take a lot of the annoyance/stress out of it for many people i think. I personally leave all my underground activity for the summers so i kind of enjoy the break from the overworld. when im above ground i always carry an ice staff in summer and also spring. 

Lets wait and see what they've got in store for us with the announced "Summer Solstice" seasonal event. could possibly add more content to an otherwise plain season especially in comparison to winter. 

Sinkholes are totally under your control, you either kill antlion in the first days of summer or don't if you spend it in the caves.

Smoldering however yes, I agree, it's stupid that things smolder off screen, if you're on console or don't use zoom out mods you can easily miss smoldering happening, and that's just bad design. It's important to know that smoldering events only trigger mid-summer, so 11 out of the 15 summer days are an actual threat. Still, the best way to combat smoldering is to just spend summer in the caves or the oasis desert; flingomatics are a bad and expensive to maintain option, only viable for very small bases imo.

Summer fishing in the oasis has great benefits for megabasers as well, but I know that's not a very popular mechanic.

Personally am ok with smoldering mechanic in the context of DST's "uncompromising survival" tagline.

Am not fully on-board with Antlion's mechanic, more precisely its rewards/loot. While decent for a fist-time, Lazy Deserter is useless in solo worlds and even in pubs most people don't care to use it. Plus, for long-term worlds, Desert Stones tend to only accumulate - either from trading with Lion or via killing it. Perhaps if there were 1-2 more uses for Desert Stones, situation would be a bit different. For example, Legion mod makes out of them an interesting weapon - hence a use for solo world & solo players. Likewise, as some other forumer suggested long time ago, maybe Antlion should drop Orange Gems too (let's say 1x per killing).

And, as some reverse-play of Winter, a special mob akin MacTusk could roam map in particular location, trick being we, the players, have to hunt for it with a mini-boss fight ensuing. It could even be tied to Ocean content, as Tusk and Tam provide speed on land and sanity, this hunt's loot might deliver a boat speed-boost or view range and some Lunacy item - a simple, reverse MacT suggestion.

Summer solstice is going to be a thing, but it's going to be an event one time an actual year, so I doubt we will have much use outside of that. But it gives hope that summer will be reworked a bit.

I personally like sitting in caves or in oasis, and I used to spend my summers just in base with luxury fans on person and eyebrella. It actually isn't that bad, but again, it was some time ago and maybe I just didn't have as complicated base and items thrown around that could actually catch fire. 

Comparison

Winter:

Pros:
-McTusk: Gives a Tam, one of the best items in the game, and a tusk, that is needed to craft a cane, a lazy explorer and a beefalo brush.
-Ice begins to form and can be farmed for one of the best food fillers in game that never spoils, and is needed for finglomatics,
-Multiple penguins start to form than can be used for eggs, food, or as an emergency combat mob for sudden hound waves.
-Klaus and Deerclops bosses, gives winter two more bosses than other seasons with one being optional, and each of them gives great loot (Klaus is not guaranteed good)
-Special Koaelefant variation
-Special bird variation
-Cold temperatures makes food spoil slower

Cons:
-Constant freezing due to low temperature
-Many resources do not grow in winter
-Deerclops can destroy a significant portion of your base if it caughts you unaware.
-Almost no honey
-No butterflies

Summer:

Pros:

-Cactus grow a cactus flower that can be used for food and to better survive summer
-Special seasonal boss Antlion that can be used to craft Lazy Deserter
-Oasis comes alive and can be fished at for trinkets and special recipes
-Being in caves during an antlion attack means free rocks

Cons:

-Overheating
-Plants Wilt
-Food Spoils faster
-Oasis biome has a sandstorm that requires special gear to properly traverse.
-Wildfires that could set your entire base on fire when you're not looking possibly destroying hours of work and permanent resources
-Antlion could destroy large portions of your base if you're not aware

There's also the day lenght that changes within the season, as well as hound waves for gems, red hounds being more dangerous due to fire.

Winter has more content overall, and the only thing that really differs in the harshness of the seasons is the wildfires from summer, plus the recipes to lower your temperature being harder and more expensive to come by than just a torch and burning a nearby tree. Winter has more mobs, more exclusive loot and more potential rewards, whereas summer just adds a way to permanently destroy your base unless you pay an amount of fuel proportional to the size of your base, and the game rewards you with free rocks plus none of the harshness if you go spelunking instead.

I decided to spend a summer once to go and catch the special summer fishes, so I spend the entire season on the ocean, only to return and find out that a portion of my base was burned because when I was sailing away, and the base was outside my screen, but at enough distance to render, it smoldered and bam, 6 hours of gameplay gone just by the corner of the screen.

Summer is just not worth it unless you want to spend half the season farming fuel to refill the flingos or fishing away at oasis for hours on end.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I think it'd be cool if food dropped on the ground in summer would get cooked after a few seconds, like the ground's so hot that food gets grilled just from laying there.

Lol are you from Arizona? We have periods in summer where we can cook eggs on our streets.

An upgrade to the flingo would be nice that extended its range though.

4 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

the point still stands that if you just keep your distance from things then they won't burn

the point is worthless as it implies one should stay away from their base, set pieces, farms and indeed virtually everything for a whooping 30 days.

caveless servers are also penalized tenfold.

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

the point is worthless as it implies one should stay away from their base, set pieces, farms and indeed virtually everything for a whooping 30 days.

just...build a flingomatic on your base and stay away from things that arent flingomatic'd...are we really gonna extend this thread for 5 pages because you guys don't understand that staying away from things that you don't want to smolder is something that you can and should do? jeez...

also, summer lasts 15 days normally...

19 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

just...build a flingomatic on your base and stay away from things that arent flingomatic'd...are we really gonna extend this thread for 5 pages because you guys don't understand that staying away from things that you don't want to smolder is something that you can and should do? jeez...

During this time where things are being reworked, it’s good to take a proactive approach at expressing what you like and dislike. 

Summer doesn’t need to have random fires, it doesn’t happen in real life.

There might be an actively engaging alternative to building a stationary box.

Months last a long time, and the worst thing a game can do is to regularly make a player bored.

1 minute ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

During this time where things are being reworked, it’s good to take a proactive approach at expressing what you like and dislike. 

There might be an actively engaging alternative to building a stationary box.

Months last a long time, and the worst thing a game can do is to regularly make a player bored.

i'm not against changing random fires, outside of a short term server (~1 year of gameplay) its really annoying and hardly a challenge, thats why I would like it to be removed, not because it doesn't happen in real life. I literally just wanted to point out the way that smoldering works ingame as i thought that the OP thought it worked in a way that it doesn't really. 

8 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

It actually happens. Even some trees are only able to reproduce if the forest catch on fire

What summer needs is more content not another nerf to the list: caves with no overheating, smoldering instead of insta fire, oasis..

A single fan can counter big fires (unless you let things go out of controll) and now we have also cans which are cheap. Also we have ice staffs, manure, ice and balloons to stop fires

Is true that wildfires happening outside of the screen because the load area is bigger is annoying but that is a small change that could be applied or just being carefully (i experience this just 1 time and was my fault) instead of an entire rework to make it more casual

Also klei wants to add a way to summon rains which almost totally counter summer since you cant overheat if you are wet, there is no wildfires and antlion isnt active

Edit: also, people who is asking for removing wildfires remember that you have a toggle option to remove them if you dont like it. Dont try to remove things for the base game when there is already options for it

How about if we had a little more of resources respawning? 

digged and relocated - no respawn

burned grass, saplings, etc - get a chance to respawn after 100 days after being burned, and not only in endless portal area. Still same challenging for early worlds and less punishing for long-existing worlds. 

The point is, in DS solo you could go to another world (eventually reset something) and bring as many stuff as those fit pockets and refill lost resources, even it was possible to buy extra bushes.

Also somewhere dev promised, they would bring some way for rain during summer, when they removed g/meese offspring bug. 

6 minutes ago, Notecja said:

How about if we had a little more of resources respawning? 

This

I wont be trigger if a limited berry bush that i didnt dig because i dont like empty worlds catch of fire if i know that after X days (i dont care if it takes 100 or 1000) it respawns. The same for catcoons dens, totally normal trees, bee hives (any ways you can get more combs every 20 days with bee queen), reeds, cactus, etc

32 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Edit: also, people who is asking for removing wildfires remember that you have a toggle option to remove them if you dont like it. Dont try to remove things for the base game when there is already options for it

Removing content can be constructive if you think the entire thing should change, or if you think it does more harm than good by existing.

1 hour ago, Lbphero said:

everybody in this thread knows about flingos. We use them all the time.

The issue at hand is summer is simply tiresome. Babysitting flingos is not fun, building around flingos is not fun, wasting gears is not fun. If it weren't for their extremely abusable mob freezing power, flingos would literally have no purpose but to make summer a little bearable. Literally 80% of the playerbase handles summer by not even putting up with it, as they crawl to the caves until it's over.

"stay away from your base" holds no weight at all for a point.

try creating a brand new world that starts on summer. you'll pull your hair out like no other situation would make you. Even a starter winter world isn't nearly as bad.

17 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Removing content can be constructive if you think the entire thing should change, or if you think it does more harm than good by existing.

Maybe it will do harm in animal crossing but having an uncomproming summer in a survival game is what someone should expect 

The base game difficulty is already way too nerfed from ds. Doing easy survival between bosses isnt fun

Edit: turn off wildfire in world gen and deal only with overheating if is yout wish. Was a bad idea to entirely remove disease when it could be turned off by default and some people want the same end for wildfire making the game even more casual that the workshop do

59 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Even if someone personally disables a bad feature, Klei is going to keep balancing the game around it because it's a part of the default settings. See: stone fruit bushes having special disease mechanics. In these cases I'd rather the bad features just be removed.

Archived