Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

Tencent is a big Chinese Corporation that is under control of the Chinese Government. These people are lunatics who commit genocide on the uyghurs and they Censor anything that doesnt fit their views and i am pretty sure they could interfere with klei and their games. Dont be surprised if they censor the chat in the game. lol

man, i was really hoping you guys wouldnt do such a move. but apparently money is tight so you sold to them. sad to see that such an awesome game company goes to such people.

also my meme fits here even better.

57 minutes ago, Bluckles said:

Glad I left the franchise when I did. Now every cent you give to Klei is a cent given to Tencent (China). Why would you guys even do this?? I warned you all

Now is a good time to quit the company guys. Seriously. Actually make a change for once and don't give money to Tencent, stop spending money on Klei.

klei is a business. they're not your friends.

if they deem a business avenue advantageous for their development then you should be glad for them.

saying agreement is something to take in count. Klei knows how tencent is hated here and they still made the announcement

also, i dont know from other games, but my friends keep playing lol and poe and nothing has change as far as i know

what is bad is the chinesse gov treat and how tencent abuse of adicteds with their mobile phone games but maybe nothing will change for us

Oh and you know what also feels terrible now?

Liking and trusting a company enough to buy their early access games only to have them do an about-face on basic consumer protections. Pretty sure I'm not the only one here who feels like Klei gave us a huge middle finger by choosing Tencent of all companies.

Dear Klei, 

they did promise you autonomy?

How will you enforce the promise if they say in 5 years, oh yea we decided we want to see some money you better change the way you do stuff?

It sounds like it might be a time bomb and it might mean the end of Klei as it is now in the midterm.

I think you might have sold your soul.

I know there's a lot of panic and knee-jerk reactions to this announcement. So here's my piece on it. Klei HAS ALWAYS shown that they care about us (the community) and it shows in this announcement. 

"What’s going to change? 
There are some boring accounting changes that we will need to adjust to. Other than that, I will continue running the studio as before, with no changes to staffing, projects or other operations."

They managed to negotiate continued autonomy with TENCENT of all companies. That alone is an accomplishment. Even stating that the two companies have had disagreements in the past but still found mutual ground to move forward on. So that I have to give whoever was involved with those talks Kudos for, because that took some "hot thermal stones" if you know what I mean ;)

Now, as for Tencent themselves. Personally, I'm like many, I haven't enjoyed their sudden insertion into most of the games I know and love. BUT honestly for us in the western markets there probably won't be much of a change at all. For Klei though this is huge. Already dipping their toes into the Chinese market this is an even greater opportunity for them and will in turn maybe bring good things for all of us as fans of Klei.

So for right now, I say as a consensus, let's put away the pitch forks, drop the F's away back in the boxes and let's give it some time to see what comes from this. I have high hopes for Klei in 2021 and can't wait to see how the roadmap might have changed with this new information/partnership on the books.

Keep being awesome over there in the "studio" and you'll still have my continued support! <3 

Just now, TheDrizzle404 said:

Why would you sell out to China? This is literally the worst decision you could have made right next to selling out to EA or Activision. Don't try to kid yourselves or us about things won't change. This marks the day Klei died. I loved you guys.

because if they would sell to EA or gamigo then first thing they fire all devs

5 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

purchase a majority stake in Klei Entertainment

3 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

we chose them as our partner.

Wait a minute Bigfoot this is a bit ambiguous:

Do they have A majority stake as in they have 35% and are a partner to consider,

or did the purchase THE majority stake as in they own 51% of the company now and have the final say in everything?

In the first case you might have a chance to deal with them on equal terms,

in the latter case they own you now and you better get used to orders.

Which one is it?

5 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

Why are we doing this?

Klei has been around for 15 years, and we have made many changes over the years in order to respond to a changing world. Consistently, my wish has been to enable people to do their best creative work, to learn and grow, to not have to worry about finances, and be able to enjoy their lives outside the studio. This has not changed.

This partnership helps us navigate a changing industry, and helps us focus on what we do best: making unique experiences that no one else can.

I guess the deal has been sealed already and you wont be able to enlighten us with the internals of the company. But i must really ask anyway: Why?

You say it yourself, your company has been in the business for 15 years it has produced some of the most awesome games i have ever played! It has a unique signature and while i was astounded that it would actually be a maintainable business to work in this niche, you seemed to stay in there for 15 years. Growing and even shipping out free content for most of your games on a regular basis. You served your communities well and i always mentioned your company as a top example of how to maintain your IPs without external influence.

So what could possibly have changed? I cant really come up with any good reasons.

Has the market been become smaller or maybe more competitors arisen? Maybe, but i would still expect that to be solvable with a different pricing model.

Is it to risky to finance a new game in the current days? Maybe, but then again, have your recent games bombed? DTS for sure not. ONI also doesnt seem like a bad bargain to me (otherwise there wouldnt be any DLC, i suppose). Not sure about Griftland.

So maybe it is simply about dwelving into new markets such as parts of asia maybe different consoles? But why would that need a significant partnership with such a giant? Wouldnt it be more reasonable to trade market shares for commision? Or to higher other studios to do a port?

Maybe you are planning on a very big game that needs alot of financial backing. But why sell the entire company for it? It seems like a huge bargaining chip to me.

Or maybe you are looking for synergy effects for things like marketing, accounting and other things not too closely related to the creative process behind the game.

Maybe the COVID-Pandemic steared the ship into troubled waters (But then why "over the years"?).

In any case, this announcement simply screams a huge warning sign. I can still remember the old blizzard days, in which they selfpublished awesome games, then partnered with activision and now are a mere shadow of their former selfs. Sure, they still make decent games. But they clearly have lost touch with their past ideals.

I also cant imagine getting something for free from any business partner, eventually they all will demand their investment back and take a bigger slice of the cake. As soon as there is a single failed project, it will be the battleground for giving you less freedom and resources in the next one.

And another fear to bring to the table is that there is not only money or control being lost. It is also information. The current trend is that more and more information is being gathered. Even in games. And while certain states are not necessarily innocent in that regard, china has a reputation for having alot of influence on their domestic companies.

This has happened to many other companies before. They all had seemingly good reasons. And they all eventually succumbed to the investors ill-intended claims.

I wish the best for Klei. Everybody deserves to have a decent life without existential fears and with a decent income to provide and enjoy. But i always thought that Klei was able to secure that for its employees self-sufficiently.

Guys don't be over pessimistic because of the one reason Tencent is chinese corporation.

Klei has known what their loyal customers want.

Time will tell, but things could even get better, not worse. I still love and fully support klei entertainment and respect their decision.

lost all my respect for klei after this one, out of all the companies didn't expect YOU fuckers to join tencent, congratulations everyone, now everytime you buy DST you are now contributing to the torture of a muslim in the name of the chinese communist party

Archived