Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

2 minutes ago, Swanky Psammead said:

This is extremely distressing news. I'll trust your word that there were no better options for Klei as a business, but the mere knowledge that Tencent has a majority stake has already brought a swift end to my usual enthusiasm about purchasing and promoting Klei's products.

true, now when u buy a Klei game u think of Fortnite ... ouch

2 minutes ago, obekovbuti said:

I feel so disappointed at you. You guys were my favourite gaming company. I bought skins just to support you guys. I really can't believe we come to this state.

klei is a business. they're not your friends.

if they deem a business avenue advantageous for their development then you should be glad for them.

•  

16 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Understood. I updated it to clarify. The intention was to specify that it hasn't changed and that if it were to change in the future, we would make sure you know that you would be made aware of that change. But I see how the previous wording could have been interpreted that way. Sorry about that. 

I may be missing things in your reply because it's 11.30 pm where I live and I'm tired, but your previous and current statement don't seem to have different meanings to me. I may have been unclear in my first reply to this topic though. What I meant is that I was hoping for "we will not change our privacy policy, period. rest assured" (of course with a more formal phrasing), not an "as of now, we have no intention of changing our privacy policy".

But that's actually me being an idealist: I know that such definitive statements would be dangerous and maybe meaningless to make. i wasn't there when DST was announced many years ago, however my friend, who had been playing DS since before RoG came out, told me that initially Klei was adamant that a multiplayer version of DS wouldn't happen, and here we are. 

So, right now all I can say is that I hope and trust that Klei will protect our privacy as thoroughly as they always have, and that if there ever were to be more requests by Tencent, that you guys manage to negotiate with them so that this doesn't change. 

47 minutes ago, Bansko said:

yet, the money Klei makes will be used to torture Chinese Muslims.

Again, not how that works. It's ******* shitty what the CCP is doing, but that's essentially the equivalent of saying American companies funded the death of Soleimami.

Dropping a game because it has Tencent as an investor does nothing, because they're going to get money regardless.

Also, actual question: do you really even care?

5 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Year of the Beefalo is cancelled boys. That's enough China for Klei for the whole year.

Gotta be honest, I kinda expected the update or at least news of the update today- wintersfeast just officially ended on consoles as well, so it’s time for update! 
 (Maybe next week?)

Just now, Flusap said:

It is very worrying to me. But do you think this will affect update consistency?

That is one of the upsides to come from this if you look at it that way.
We should likely be expecting more frequent and/or better content with the new backing, as much as I do not like Tencent from an ethical standpoint. 

This whole situation really shows how life just comes at you like a speeding truck.

One day you're enjoing supporting a honest indie game studio and the next one you're promising to yourself you will no longer spend money on their products.

1 hour ago, Smife said:

Rip my favourite dev. Can't describe my disappointment, and it had to be Tencent, ofc. Meaning turning off data collection is a no brainer from now on.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't allow you to play online if your data collection is off. 

Well, that sucks. I thought the announcement of Newhome was the shadiest thing Klei has ever done. There's not much to say. Now, people should think a lot before spending money on Klei games.

Archived