Studio Announcement

Bigfoot

I'm gonna be honest here (after having such a good laugh and pain... seriously all these messages omg)

It’s surprising how you guys haven’t teased us anything good (for customers) out of this decision, really it's end of January, still no roadmap for DST even tho this is about Klei entirely... I expected you to gives us details on what this decision will allow you to do more than before except China gaming business and com, I don't think what you did was necessary if it was to achieve just that, but no, all I got is confusion and concern. I don't know how things will look in a few years and I don't know if I can still trust you like I did for 10 years approximately.

Edit : this isn’t to brag, just remind that we are one of the most loyal community of all

One thing I know is that this scenario happened to other companies and it really affected games/communities and their services, so nothing prove me (and I'm well aware it's difficult to do so) everything will be the same or go for the best aftermaths. That especially after what happened with the communication of New Home and little things left and right that keep accumulating... Klei can't be flawless but how am I supposed to be satisfied with this announcement with so few details, I don’t want to say you have no control on what you’re doing but I’d like some clarifications for the least, it's not like nobody was aware what gaming industry can leads and have access to.

So please, I just want you to make sure you will remain the best game studio and hear our concerns, you can't do one without the other and I fear everyone is ready to demonstrate it.

Also good night it's getting late... hope I can wake up with some good news shortly 

Ignoring the political controversy surrounding Tencent, I've seen a lot of my favorite games have small dev companies that partner with big titans and over time they ultimately end up sacrificing quality in favor of quick money. They see that one time game purchases are not nearly as profitable as ignoring content updates or gameplay updates, and just start pumping out skins, or loot boxes, or anything that has microtransactions involved. They lose sight of their passion for the games that they created and instead sell out.

I can't see Klei allowing their company to do anything like that, however...

Klei PLEASE stay vigilant and do not become just another studio that was eaten by some big dev titan.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I purchase just about every skin pack or new character that Klei makes for Don't Starve Together. Not because I'll ever wear them or play the character often, but just because I have come to really love this company, and I gladly support them.

I sincerely hope that this is harmless and just an all around plus for marketing. I also hope that Klei understands the growing concern that the community might have with this move, as we have all seen this song and dance before, and it rarely has a happy ending. 

Best of luck Klei!

So uhm tencent does Fortnite? (The game that has tons of DC Comics/Marvel Comics crossover content) The most recent WintersFeast skins gave WX78 a skin that resembles Batman: The Animated TV Series.

Maybe this is just me being very hopeful & thinking of the GOOD possibilities of this Partnership (rather than the Bad..) But- Does this increase my chances of having actual DC/Marvel skins like Fortnite?

I seriously only ever downloaded Fortnite just to play as Harley Quinn with a gigantic Mallet, Tencent or no Tencent... I’m a sucker for seeing my favorite vehicles, heroes & villains from my childhood tv shows playable in the games I enjoy playing.

And you can bet your asses that if someone was to tell me that shows like Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the X-men were invested in by Tencent that it would NOT have effected my enjoyment of those shows or changed my viewership over watching them.

For people to be doing that NOW to Klei, is just showing how much they dis-trust Klei.. A good product or show is a good product or TV show- Regardless of who the hell made it or is invested in it.

31 minutes ago, BezKa said:

They own over 50%.

where did you read that they own over 50%? Bigfoot didn’t state that.

3 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

Wait a minute Bigfoot this is a bit ambiguous:

Do they have A majority stake as in they have 35% and are a partner to consider,

or did the purchase THE majority stake as in they own 51% of the company now and have the final say in everything?

In the first case you might have a chance to deal with them on equal terms,

in the latter case they own you now and you better get used to orders.

Which one is it?

I’d also like to know an answer to this question, I fully agreed with Rainbowdesign

I don't know much about the business and corporate side of things,I just care about how Klei treats the community and the games. I love DS and DST, i basically grew up playing those games ( I might care a little too much about them). I really wish Klei doesn't stop being Klei, and loose control. I wish those news could be translated into good things like better updates, communication, and quality overall, but it's hard to be hopefull based on Tencent's history. I've always trusted Klei, and i will keep doing so for now, i just hope that when the changes come, that they're for the best.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So uhm tencent does Fortnite? (The game that has tons of DC Comics/Marvel Comics crossover content) The most recent WintersFeast skins gave WX78 a skin that resembles Batman: The Animated TV Series.

Maybe this is just me being very hopeful & thinking of the GOOD possibilities of this Partnership (rather than the Bad..) But- Does this increase my chances of having actual DC/Marvel skins like Fortnite?

I seriously only ever downloaded Fortnite just to play as Harley Quinn with a gigantic Mallet, Tencent or no Tencent... I’m a sucker for seeing my favorite vehicles, heroes & villains from my childhood tv shows playable in the games I enjoy playing.

And you can bet your asses that if someone was to tell me that shows like Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the X-men were invested in by Tencent that it would NOT have effected my enjoyment of those shows or changed my viewership over watching them.

For people to be doing that NOW to Klei, is just showing how much they dis-trust Klei.. A good product or show is a good product or TV show- Regardless of who the hell made it or is invested in it.

To be honest i feel like fortnite's crossover skins are really forced and just to get attention, i don't want that to happen to dst.

10 minutes ago, OmeletteBoy said:

To be honest i feel like fortnite's crossover skins are really forced and just to get attention, i don't want that to happen to dst.

I get what your saying but I think you may have missed my point: I’ve got a house full of collectibles from tons of tv shows and series- many of em I’ve been collecting well over 15-20 years, but if say for example this (so called evil company) Tencent was to suddenly become invested in those shows or properties- I’m not going to suddenly throw the action figures I’ve collected all my life into a great big bonfire.

I would genuinely have to see changes in the actual product itself that I highly highly dislike that would get me to get rid of everything I own associated to it.

57 minutes ago, licet_insanire said:

where did you read that they own over 50%? Bigfoot didn’t state that.

I’d also like to know an answer to this question, I fully agreed with Rainbowdesign

I thought about it and came to some personal conclusions, which may or may not be right.

I doubt they would make a big announcement for "some stock ownership has changed" and if i think they would have answered to it.

I also thought about that nothing will change. 

I really like to call it sugarcoating the development for the customer base and employee, no one can really believe that with big communist government companys 

I think behind the announcement is really that one or two person got so much money offered they would not want to refuse.

I think Klei is now part of the moneygrabber industry it was simply bought out with too much money.

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Gross.... there is a massive difference between skins that are clearly a nod or reference to an existing character, trope or idea and skins that are literally just DC/Marvel skins or whatever. That WX skin is a vague reference to something and is awesome, having a say Batman or Spiderman Wilson skin would just be tacky and stupid. I don't think anyone else wants Marvel and DC skins in Don't Starve dude...

Also Fortnite skins are gross, just constant moneygrabbing and soulless microtrans. The game itself has no soul so it has to depend on just taking content directly from every comic, movie and other game out there.

Anyway, another thing I find confusing is how I should compare the recent one million dollar donation to Black Lives Matter with this partnership decision. Support one ethnic group on one side, but turn their eyes away from the injustices another one is facing on the opposite side of the world? 

I don’t know if I am more saddened or confused.

Can we get a clear cut clarification on the possibilities of in-game monetization changing from now on? This seems to be a big concern to many people. Is there any chance new gameplay content might be pay-walled, in current or future Klei games? Or will it remain as is, only for skins and aesthetics (and incredible DLCs)?

2 minutes ago, Rainbowdesign said:

I thought about it and came to some personal conclusions, which may or may not be right.

I doubt they would make a big announcement for "some stock ownership has changed" and if i think they would have answered to it.

I also thought about that nothing will change. 

I really like to call it sugarcoating the development for the customer base and employee, no one can really believe that with big communist government companys 

I think behind the announcement is really that one or two person got so much money offered they would not want to refuse.

I think Klei is now part of the moneygrabber industry it was simply bought out with too much money.

Yep, it was simply an offer that they "couldn't" refuse. Tencent offered them enough that nothing else (morals, future of dst, ownership) mattered anymore.

4 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

Can we get a clear cut clarification on the possibilities of in-game monetization changing from now on? This seems to be a big concern to many people. Is there any chance new gameplay content might be pay-walled, in current or future Klei games? Or will it remain as is, only for skins and aesthetics?

The funny thing is, have they introduced more ways to pay them before, I would happily give them more money. But now that tencent owns them, any changes as such will be disgusting.

Asking or worrying about any changes feels weird when it was explicitly stated there would be no changes to staffing, projects or operations, it's just that I'm left head-scratching when the paragraph for ' why are we doing this ' gives as reason 'This partnership helps us navigate a changing industry'. It's vague and I'm sure we're all still wondering what's the catch gonna be from Tencent's side

6 hours ago, Bigfoot said:

We're still going to be managing all the IP that Klei creates. If anything, Tencent has shown real respect to us and consistently deferred to us in what and how to present our work, which is one of the reasons we chose them as our partner.

Of course they were nice before they had a majority ownership, now that's going to cost them money, so those days are gone forever. You are their employee and must earn their respect, as well as compete for your current job. You have a 1 in 3 chance to stay there after a year and only if you agree to everything they ask.

Your boss, Ma Huateng, said, "Ideas are not important in China – execution is." So your IP is seen as worthless and if you want to stay in charge, you will be judged on your execution.

13 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

Can we get a clear cut clarification on the possibilities of in-game monetization changing from now on? This seems to be a big concern to many people. Is there any chance new gameplay content might be pay-walled, in current or future Klei games? Or will it remain as is, only for skins and aesthetics (and incredible DLCs)?

THIS!!! This is exactly what we need right about now. 2021 Roadmap! :D 

It's worth noting that Boyohboy231 has edited Klei Entertainment's Wikipedia page to say that Tencent is their owner. I think he's a credible source, so there's no need for anyone to clarify if it's over 50% or not. Thank you, Boyohboy231. You are a true American patriot.

Archived