Crab King is an unfun boss

My God Klei, he's such an unenjoyable boss to fight alone. The imposing claws, how you have to properly place your boat, boat patches being dropped next to the leak instead of patching it, healing; the ammount of multitasking it takes to defeat Crab King even when using the Sea Weed cheese is unbelivable. Not to mention all that RNG with whether or not he's gonna heal, freeze or summon geysers.

Such an annoying boss fight.

Those things would be fine if they were spread out among multiple bosses. But equiping Crab King with them all... I'm not surprised that I've only seen people fight him with pearl and then never again.

19 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Such an annoying boss fight.

Those things would be fine if they were spread out among multiple bosses. But equiping Crab King with them all... I'm not surprised that I've only seen people fight him with pearl and then never again.

In fact, it would be possible to come up with many different unique attacks for this boss, but it's probably too time-consuming. That each set of gems gives him a unique power, and not just adds hp and some other annoying abilities.
He could have banal claw attacks and one or two cool abilities on a certain type of gem. For example, 8 blue gems, give him the usual ability to freeze, but also strengthen his claws, building up ice on them, or an attack with ice spikes from the water, or summoning several evil Pengulls to your raft?
There are many variations of his attacks, but I agree with you. This is a very boring boss.

4 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Yeah why does it need to be 3 Iridescent gems for his ornament?

It needs to be a Pearl, but of course for worlds that already fought him with the pearl can't refight him with the pearl again.

So as a solution they made it so you can use 3 irridescent gems to get the pearl ornament (3 Irridescent Gems being equal to One Pearl)

31 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It needs to be a Pearl, but of course for worlds that already fought him with the pearl can't refight him with the pearl again.

So as a solution they made it so you can use 3 irridescent gems to get the pearl ornament (3 Irridescent Gems being equal to One Pearl)

which is easier than actually doing it with pearl's pearl because you use 3 slots instead of one

Even though I know how to solo bee queen, and I've made the fight both solo and with friends many many times, I still consider it a challenging fight.
But I always take the challenge because the rewards are simply amazing, the jellybeans, the helmet, the wrap... 
If the reward for bee queen was only a staff that allows me to make bees produce honey faster, or something on those lines, I'd never do that fight. Even if it also opened the great portal to the lorepedia that holds baby pictures of Maxwell.

What I've always wondered about crab king is why make the strident trident a bad weapon in land.

I mean I get that it's a sea thing and all, but wouldn't it be a more desirable weapon to have if it had a shockwave attack in land that pushed enemies away (FUSRODAH flashbacks) or even better if it stunned them like a crowd control thing. The special attack in land doesn't have to deal damage. And the regular swing damage could be the same as in the water. And how about also adding that holding the weapon adds 25% speed boost, just like a walking cane. Who wouldn't want a badass cane that has a special attack and deals a lot of damage?
It won't affect it's utility at the sea, it would still be actually more powerful there since the geysers deal damage, capture a lot of fish and mine ocean stuff. It would just be more versatile.

TL;DR: Maybe with better rewards, we'd all be more interested to do this fight, even if it's hard or clunky.

39 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

TL;DR: Maybe with better rewards, we'd all be more interested to do this fight, even if it's hard or clunky.

I think for me, i'd just like another drop from the Crab King. Most raid bosses have 2+ special items/structures, while Crab King only has one really.

Yeah I guess there's the Celestial Tribute. But I still feel one more unique drop from the Crab King would be great. Other than that, that's kinda all I want. I'm personally fine with the fight itself, but I won't oppose any changes, many people have disliked his fight and if changes can be brought to him that make his fight enjoyable for mostly everyone then why not! :D

I'm currently collecting as many Boss Ornaments as possible while Winters Feast is still going and with the new additions for Misery, Crab King etc I've been trying these "uber" bosses again. Honestly even with 9 purple gems Crab King was more challenging and frustrating than Misery Toadstool (this is solo btw) and I'm not looking forward to suped-up crab king at all.
 The fact you are on the ocean so can't have a bunch of extra weapons and armor and whatnot laying around like against Misery for example is a massive hindrance, you only have what you can carry. Oh thinking of taking Chester with you for extra storage? He will not only get in the way but will likely fall into the ocean at some point anyway with whatever he is carrying. The entire fight is unique because you don't ever take any damage and are purely trying to keep your boat afloat/making new boats as fast as/faster than they are destroyed. 
His healing ability is similar to Fuelweaver in that if you mess up and get a bit too far from him and can't afford or reach to use an Ice Staff to temporarily stop his healing he can heal a stupid amount of health and more or less undo a bunch of your hard work.

Honestly as much as I sort of hate him I do enjoy the battle and his various abilities, as much as the claws suck they are pretty cool and the geysers are the worst but since we can cheese them with Ice Staff's its fair that they are terrible. I've beaten him Solo and with a friend both with a pearl socketed and with weaker combinations (with and without spices). My fight against him yesterday was pretty awful though and I failed twice before Spiced Volt Goat Jelly and serious concentration/frustration got me through.

He could probably use a little balancing but I'm honestly not sure how you would do it without completely changing his fight.

5 hours ago, Grim the said:

which is easier than actually doing it with pearl's pearl because you use 3 slots instead of one

Sooooooo glad this is the case.

Shameless plug-in *cough* 

I was a bit sloppy in the demonstration, but using bunnymen for Crab King is really effective and quick. 15 bunnymen were used to kill him in 2:15. It's a set up that also allows you to redo the fight multiple time. That's how i'm getting my ornaments this year actually, it's way less stressful of a fight like this, at least for me.

Though for all the parametres you have to take into account, doing the fight normaly is indeed really hard when you consider that the celestial altar is mendatory if you wanna advance the plot of the game. Luckily, like others have pointed out, it's a fight you really only need to do once with the pearl and call it a day. Get through the trouble of killing him just one time and you'll be set (unless you are a ornament maniac, then good luck on your irl sanity). 

The Crab King is an excellent boss to point to in defending cheesing the game.  When the game isn't fair there is less justification to play fair with the game.  As it is I try to solo most fights "legit" style and mostly cheese for fun and ease of repeated loots.  For the crab king and toad both I really just don't care.  They are more a chore to me then any other element of the game.  The fun level is absolute 0.  I'd rather spend an entire day running from a herd of shadow monkeys then fight either of these bosses.  They should definitely be top of the list of bosses to rework.

There is nothing interesting about "oh he just gained back 80% of his health, ready to fight 20 more minutes?"  Really NONE of the bosses should have such a horrible mechanic as healing that much.  The healing is absolutely trivial for groups of players yet totally devastating for solo.  Its the most spiteful thing I think the developers could do short of demanding 2 players be in the fight by requiring you stand on different plates to activate the boss...

The problem with King Crab is the loot problem of defeating him.

I personally think klei may be able to make some changes to his loot to make it more practical. Honestly, the trident should not just be a common thing. I think high-risk bosses should have a corresponding reward.

There's nothing wrong with having increasingly challenging BOSSes

I like difficult things, but high risk should have a relatively significant reward, otherwise most people will not consider fighting him.

Archived