Crab King is an unfun boss

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I haven’t actually fought the Crab King yet but.. I planned to fill a bunch of dummy boats (boats that are just empty platforms) with Gunpowder/Slurtle Slim- and Blow it’s health points down to where I only needed to hit it a few times to kill it.

I could set the fires from a safe distance with a fire staff or something and have those empty platforms built specifically knowing they’re only there to be destroyed.

No lost boats, no failed attempts at trying to fight it, a simple pre-calculated explosion and its one less boss on my list to take down. 

Would this actually work or no?

Don't think this will work. Gunpowder needs to be really close to actually hit enemies so it would need to be RIGHT on the edge of the boat against Crab King each time. Because you are far away he will be able to heal fairly easily without interruption and if you get too far from the fight he simply resets and gains his health back. His Geysers have a fairly decent range as well.

I mean who knows this could work but I am 90% sure it will end in disaster. Maybe if you surrounded him with boats all with gunpowder close enough to him and set them off one by one but you'd have to time it well because of the whole gunpoweder immunity thing bosses have for a few seconds after being hit by gunpowder. I would also strongly recommend freezing him with Ice Staffs to temporarily stop his geysers and healing inbetween gunpowder charges.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Szczuku said:

My God Klei, he's such an unenjoyable boss to fight alone. The imposing claws, how you have to properly place your boat, boat patches being dropped next to the leak instead of patching it, healing; the ammount of multitasking it takes to defeat Crab King even when using the Sea Weed cheese is unbelivable. Not to mention all that RNG with whether or not he's gonna heal, freeze or summon geysers.

Such an annoying boss fight.

I collaborated with my friend @RobKozoki on a Crab King guide that should make the fight easier (on pc, sorry console players w/ bad wp targeting). We showed:

• How to consistently setup the 2 claw strategy
  • How to make the 2 claws spawn in the same spot 
  • A mostly consistent kiting/attacking pattern to CK and his spell patterns

Having said that, the only reason why I even attempted this boss as of late was b/c they added the Mysterious Energy to the game; I don't touch this boss otherwise. I know Rob uses the Trident a lot, but I'm not a person that sails unless I'm forced too.

I hope whatever they do with the Mysterious Energy is worth the one-time fight that CK is to me.

Archived