Crab King is an unfun boss

Would be cool if he dropped a blue print to craft pearls house that moves her to our bases. The house could also act as a wormhole to her old house to use it as a lunar base and keep her drying racks. Pearl herself could water our farms and pick/place meat on drying rack so long as we keep her fed like junimos in stardew valley. Id be happy with just a flute made from gnarwail horns that makes it rain like in Shipwrecked too.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:16 AM, GelatinousCube said:

I'm currently collecting as many Boss Ornaments as possible while Winters Feast is still going and with the new additions for Misery, Crab King etc I've been trying these "uber" bosses again. Honestly even with 9 purple gems Crab King was more challenging and frustrating than Misery Toadstool (this is solo btw) and I'm not looking forward to suped-up crab king at all.

Honestly with enough damage modifier he's nothing compared to misery toad in terms of resources, and nothing compared to Fuelweaver in terms of difficulty. I grind him in spring, while wet with jelly, the fight takes 2-3 minutes as fat-man and i use the ice staffs to interrupt his healing, so I'm only switching between weapon and ice staff. You don't need any healing, any armor, i don't know, personally i think he's much easier than both those mentioned above. 

In terms of bringing resources, you just have a dedicated crab king boat after the first kill, i don't think it's a big difference there.

Spoiler

proofs: 

17 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Honestly with enough damage modifier he's nothing compared to misery toad in terms of resources, and nothing compared to Fuelweaver in terms of difficulty. I grind him in spring, while wet with jelly, the fight takes 2-3 minutes as fat-man and i use the ice staffs to interrupt his healing, so I'm only switching between weapon and ice staff. You don't need any healing, any armor, i don't know, personally i think he's much easier than both those mentioned above. 

In terms of bringing resources, you just have a dedicated crab king boat after the first kill, i don't think it's a big difference there.

Hide contents

proofs: 

I disagree. I found Misery easier and much more fun. I've attempted Suped up Crab King twice solo now and just cannot kill him before something goes wrong. The Claws just shred your boat so fast and if hes healing at the same time you need to be both stopping him and saving your boat from the claws or he just heals all the damage you've done similar to Fuelweaver and/or your boat goes down with you on it. How are you interrupting his healing with Ice Staffs? If you freeze him while hes using his healing, he just does it when hes unfrozen instead. You have to use a weather pain or have a second person to stop his healing properly. In your video you are using Weather Pains to deal with his healing not Ice Staffs.

Misery has no way to heal itself and you can see how far into the battle you are by the Shroom Skin dropped. He is definitely more resource intensive for sure but he has better loot and the fight is much easier to stay on top of plus far more fun. FW is the only boss I refuse to fight properly - I blow him up with gunpowder every single time. Crab King is definitely easier than FW as FW is honestly near impossible solo without any cheese especially if you aren't playing Wolf EDIT: ON CONSOLE

I haven't tried during the rain and that gives a huge boost to Volt Jelly, probably what I'm missing. That's honestly probably the main factor here allowing you to kill him so quickly. Rain isn't something you can rely on if it isn't Spring though. Also I play Wig so no inherent Wolfgang double damage boost either.

19 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Crab King is definitely easier than FW as FW is honestly near impossible solo without any cheese especially if you aren't playing Wolf.

i dont think so. 1 single fail fighting CK and you loose the fight, 1 fail with fw and it only becomes longer

both needs practise but they are far of being impossible solo

On 12/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, Grim the said:
On 12/16/2020 at 2:52 PM, Hornete said:

It needs to be a Pearl, but of course for worlds that already fought him with the pearl can't refight him with the pearl again.

So as a solution they made it so you can use 3 irridescent gems to get the pearl ornament (3 Irridescent Gems being equal to One Pearl)

which is easier than actually doing it with pearl's pearl because you use 3 slots instead of one

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main difference between a pearl + 8 Purple Gem combo vs a 3 Iridescent Gem + 5 Purple Gem combo is that the geyser spell is weaker?

But considering the fact that you're gonna freeze CK to cancel the geyser spell anyway, this difference is completely negated if the geyser spell never goes off?

Unless there's another combo with 3 Opal gems that makes it easier than a Pearled variant

the root of the issue (for both malbatross and crab king) is that the sea content is really bad and unenjoyable (mobility wise)

klei did an experiment with the sea content, and the final product is simply not good.

sailing is too realistic for this game. it should've been simple like in shipwrecked

10 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

In your video you are using Weather Pains to deal with his healing not Ice Staffs.

Did u actually watch the video and say that? :D I attempted to use a weather pain ONCE and failed miserably bc of PS4 targeting, other than that i only used staff/sword. You don't need any weather pains, i forgot i tried using it in that fight, i haven't used WP since, they are probably a viable option on pc(making the fight even easier ofc) but they're unusable on console. I've killed him 10+ times with just sword and staff since then, if you feel that one bad use of a weather pain made the difference, i'll make another recording. But i think you got the idea. There's no reason not to kill him in spring and in the best conditions, that's just on you, he's really not the kind of boss you need to kill every 20 days, even if you like Jazz.

If you do FW legit there is much more stuff going on in that fight, and it's at a much faster pace.

3 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

the root of the issue (for both malbatross and crab king) is that the sea content is really bad and unenjoyable (mobility wise)

klei did an experiment with the sea content, and the final product is simply not good.

sailing is too realistic for this game. it should've been simple like in shipwrecked

I enjoy x1000 playing with dst boats thab playing sw

And that being solo, with other people the mechanic is lovely

I didnt try CK with my friends but seems so fun to fighting him coordonating the task without spaming ice staff and for solo could be a picky fight with no room for fails but always is good to have a challenge in the game and isnt that problematic when you can simply do rollback to practise the fight

With malbatross the only problem is not having some range weapon and being a  noob sailor but the fight is okey

Wavery jones, terror claws, rock jaws, cookie cuttere, etc are way more fun than sw sea mobs

Also seems like the sea is empty because klei just started to add things to the ocean

12 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

FW is honestly near impossible solo without any cheese especially if you aren't playing Wolf.

Huh?! You should not speak in such absolutes. To make your claim not sound ridiculous to some of us, you could have inserted something like "for not very strong players". Lots of people solo the FW on a regular basis without any cheese.

1 hour ago, Majestix said:

Huh?! You should not speak in such absolutes. To make your claim not sound ridiculous to some of us, you could have inserted something like "for not very strong players". Lots of people solo the FW on a regular basis without any cheese.

On Console? No cheese including no volt jelly, no lureplants, no houndius and no wolfgang? If so colour me impressed and I'm pretty sure there are not many players who can do this on the regular.

Also its not an absolute its clearly my opinion as it is coming from me not from some sort of guide or wiki.

4 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Did u actually watch the video and say that? :D I attempted to use a weather pain ONCE and failed miserably bc of PS4 targeting, other than that i only used staff/sword. You don't need any weather pains, i forgot i tried using it in that fight, i haven't used WP since, they are probably a viable option on pc(making the fight even easier ofc) but they're unusable on console. I've killed him 10+ times with just sword and staff since then, if you feel that one bad use of a weather pain made the difference, i'll make another recording. But i think you got the idea. There's no reason not to kill him in spring and in the best conditions, that's just on you, he's really not the kind of boss you need to kill every 20 days, even if you like Jazz.

If you do FW legit there is much more stuff going on in that fight, and it's at a much faster pace.

To be honest I only watched part of it, saw the Weather Pain use and stopped watching. Is it a fight against him where he needs to be hit twice to interrupt his healing? That is what I am talking about as when it is just 1 hit you don't need anything at all and just need to be hitting him when he heals. I actually just did it in Spring while raining and it was still a super tough battle as I wasn't using double damage Wolfgang. I still had to use Weather Pains to stop his healing as freezing him just stops him from using it until he is unfrozen, I would watch your video now to see how you are just using the staff (if it is indeed a battle against pearled or triple iridescent Crab King) to stop his healing but your response isn't the friendliest so I won't bother.

2 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

On Console? No cheese including no volt jelly, no lureplants, no houndius and no wolfgang? If so colour me impressed and I'm pretty sure there are not many players who can do this on the regular.

Also its not an absolute its clearly my opinion as it is coming from me not from some sort of guide or wiki.

"Near impossible" does not quite have the same ring to it as, say, "I just can't do it". Anyway, enough said on that topic. Obviously, you are free to ignore my suggestion. 

By "without cheese" I did mean without cheese, but nobody had said anything about console. I and the people I play with are on PC. Does that mean I am cheesing him? Interesting. I am sure I can't beat him while using only one finger, so yeah, if you impose enough restrictions, then I am sure you can justify your "near impossible" superlative.

1 minute ago, Majestix said:

"Near impossible" does not quite have the same ring to it as, say, "I just can't do it". Anyway, enough said on that topic. Obviously, you are free to ignore my suggestion. 

By "without cheese" I did mean without cheese, but nobody had said anything about console. I and the people I play with are on PC. Does that mean I am cheesing him? Interesting. I am sure I can't beat him while using only one finger, so yeah, if you impose enough restrictions, then I am sure you can justify your "near impossible" superlative.

Everywhere I've seen in the past (these forums, reddit etc) most players consider him very very difficult if not near impossible solo ON CONSOLE without cheese, mainly due to his healing and how much he throws at you and the limitations of a controller and the lack of a mouse. If you simply want to ignore a ton of posts, history and other players go for it but there's no need to throw your ego around and try to make me feel bad.

Console is a completely different animal. I'm not imposing restrictions simply to make my point, it is simply where I am coming from and my perspective as a console only player.

16 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

[...]

Of course my response is not friendly, since you obviously didn't watch it before responding, you would've had your answers there. Whatever makes you happy, you don't need to tell me you're not going to watch it, funny. Your stubbornness to admit it's very doable is what is preventing you from killing him.

11 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

Of course my response is not friendly, since you obviously didn't watch it before responding, you would've had your answers there. Whatever makes you happy, you don't need to tell me you're not going to watch it, funny. Your stubbornness to admit it's very doable is what is preventing you from killing him.

Just watched anyway, you aren't cancelling his healing at all in the video, the rocks he is healing with aren't breaking (that indicates that the heal is cancelled). So you are legitimately just brute forcing it with Wolfgangs double damage and Volt Goat Jelly during Rain and dealing more damage to him than he can heal. I massively doubt any other character would be able to deal damage as fast as CK heals in this situation. I have been in the exact same situation as Wig and you need to take something to cancel his healing or the battle lasts MUCH longer and is much harder as he is managing to heal himself for a decent amount each and every time he does the heal spell even if you are hitting him the whole time.

Yes you make it look easy but Wolfgang, Volt Jelly and the Rain are doing a ridiculous amount of work and Wolfgang is allowing you to completely ignore his healing ability altogether. Ice Staffs have nothing whatsoever to do with his healing in this situation other than using them to briefly stop his healing until you can get closer or while you take care of Imposing Claws which is what I also do alongside cancelling the geyser spell.

Also I did kill him (just purples, Iridescents and in the past Pearled), it was just much harder considering I actually had to deal with his healing and didn't brute force it as Wolfgang.

20 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

[...]

Exactly, i am bruteforcing, first thing i said was with enough damage buffs; but what's wrong with that, since it's very easy to replicate?

I don't think it's a very fun fight solo as anybody but Wolfgang either, but multiplayer i think it's one of the best. And i'm just saying if you really want to kill him, you can with not much effort. Much easier than misery or FW, since that's what started this discussion.

I agree. It's the one boss that I've killed just once since it's release and never bothered with it again.

Usually, I don't mind the boss mechanics despite seeming a bit of a cheesy fight (with all the freezing, healing and so on) but also managing the raft while doing all this seemed.. not very fun. If the Crab King fight had it's own tile set with small islands etc where you have to dodge, run and fight him as he reaches or flails at you, would've been a better experience.

Just my two cents.

6 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

Your stubbornness to admit it's very doable is what is preventing you from killing him.

you know i would say that this is rude but the problem is that its true so im just gonna keep my mouth shut 

as to the topic i haven't beaten crab king solo but i have killed him with a friend so my opinion is that hes fun if you have friends

2 hours ago, BellumOmnes said:

I agree. It's the one boss that I've killed just once since it's release and never bothered with it again.

Usually, I don't mind the boss mechanics despite seeming a bit of a cheesy fight (with all the freezing, healing and so on) but also managing the raft while doing all this seemed.. not very fun. If the Crab King fight had it's own tile set with small islands etc where you have to dodge, run and fight him as he reaches or flails at you, would've been a better experience.

Just my two cents.

Oof that would have been such a fun boss design in my opinion, imagining a little circular islet/atoll with the boss in the middle attacking you with claws, magic, soundwaves... Kind of like a Gooper Blooper fight. They can still make a deep sea calamari boss 

4 hours ago, Shpee said:

to nobodies surprise, adding an area based around being incredibly slow, in a game where you have to be quick to dodge attacks, and then putting a superboss in that area with AOE, was not a good idea.

yeah your right.it wasn't a great idea..........IT WAS THE BEST IDEA!

GOD BLESS YOU KLEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Also seems like the sea is empty because klei just started to add things to the ocean

and they already finishing it, no? seems like we are to see only one last RoT patch - big reveal of what Mysterious Energy is. So not manu chances to add more ocean stuff before we finalize RoT 

I haven’t actually fought the Crab King yet but.. I planned to fill a bunch of dummy boats (boats that are just empty platforms) with Gunpowder/Slurtle Slim- and Blow it’s health points down to where I only needed to hit it a few times to kill it.

I could set the fires from a safe distance with a fire staff or something and have those empty platforms built specifically knowing they’re only there to be destroyed.

No lost boats, no failed attempts at trying to fight it, a simple pre-calculated explosion and its one less boss on my list to take down. 

Would this actually work or no?

Archived