Solo Players Support

@Astra100L Apologies for what this thread turned into. Know that if it ends up being locked, it was by no fault of your own. That being said, welcome to the forums. I promise we are usually a lot friendlier than this.

Flying solo in this game can be tough, considering everything is scaled for more players and the DST bosses that don't appear in the single player counterpart can seem like they require a team. However, as someone said previously, no bosses are impossible to beat by yourself. They can be hard and grindy, but doable. I'd recommend looking up some guides for solo play on youtube. Minus a couple of them, the DST content creators are generally really quality people. 

In short, just keep trying. The bosses seem tough but eventually you will see that every boss has a rhythm, and once you start learning the rhythm they become easier and easier.

Good luck :wilson_goodjob:

16 minutes ago, D7X said:

I didn't say you told him to "git gud" that was directed at those that did, probably could have done with a new paragraph there or quoting someone but I'm really not that invested so I was being lazy. 

Mmm, indeed.

Though you do seem fairly invested.

18 minutes ago, D7X said:

This is where you said we may be bad at the game. Also I did give advice same as everyone else before I realised the request was simply for an optional slider and not a general nerfing of bosses.

Your words. Someone who cannot complete a task shouldn't be advising on a task. Common sense. The piece of my post you quoted for this was made before you came to me hoping you were the supposed forum alt, so if you want to place yourself in this group it is your choice.

22 minutes ago, D7X said:

It would mostly be a copy & paste job and would only have to apply a multiplier to boss health depending on the option picked, even if it took an hour I think you can suffer that delay without noticing.

Maybe I cannot suffer the delay? 

Seriously though, I'm no programmer, so I have no clue how long a uhhhh....."copy and paste" job would take. I do have a feeling it's a bit more involved than copy/paste.

30 minutes ago, D7X said:

I've highlighted the key words here that show you addressing and asking questions of @Astra100L (the OP). Are you now trying to claim you were also accusing them of having an alt at the same time?

You either highlighted the wrong words or confused yourself at some point, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

33 minutes ago, D7X said:

That would be strange since you're so adamantly trying to help them with your condescending advice.

I haven't "adamantly" done anything, I've made I think 3 posts offering help to OP, and my "condescending advice" never actually came. The offer was made, but I in no way detailed any actual advice.

But read into it what you want.

And let's not lock the thread.

25 minutes ago, D7X said:

nothing good ever comes out of calmly and effectively discussing the options

I know you are being sarcastic here, unfortunately you are actively taking part in not discussing any of the many options currently available in game.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

@Astra100L Apologies for what this thread turned into. Know that if it ends up being locked, it was by no fault of your own. That being said, welcome to the forums. I promise we are usually a lot friendlier than this.

Flying solo in this game can be tough, considering everything is scaled for more players and the DST bosses that don't appear in the single player counterpart can seem like they require a team. However, as someone said previously, no bosses are impossible to beat by yourself. They can be hard and grindy, but doable. I'd recommend looking up some guides for solo play on youtube. Minus a couple of them, the DST content creators are generally really quality people. 

In short, just keep trying. The bosses seem tough but eventually you will see that every boss has a rhythm, and once you start learning the rhythm they become easier and easier.

Good luck :wilson_goodjob:

What are you apologising for? They're probably stoked that their thread got a ton of replies and people talking about the idea. Nothing bad is happening here, stop trying to make it seem like that. You might think you're doing good and I'm sure everyone liking your post reassures you of that but you are helping to create an echo chamber where people are only allowed to think and talk a certain way. No one is breaking the rules in a major enough way to warrant this kind of response, going off topic briefly is perfectly acceptable and as Mike said before, anyone telling OP how to beat the bosses is more off topic than those discussing the implications of a new slider in the game. The OP asked for a difficulty setting, not tips.

@Dunk Mujunk I'm not replying to all that, but you did find the one actual argument against adding a new slider and that is whether or not it's worth Klei's time. Personally I think it would take someone that knows what they're doing 10 minutes to add to the game but that's based on my very limited knowledge from modding other games and is in no way an informed opinion. But even if it took hours, having a difficulty option would benefit them because giving people an (optional) softer entry into the trials of Don't Starve would help retain more new players who might in turn buy skins/characters in the future.

Okay... I did not imagine that my topic turned into this, but I just wanna clarify somethings

First place: some people talking about it is don't starve TOGETHER, yes it is but, i have played ds since there was no sanity, coming from a singleplayer game and even does not receive updates more, some players only like play It alone or don't have friends that have the game. I'am not talking about buff the boats for alone players or change the mechanic of the bosses, only lower their health, the bosses are perfect for multiple players or one, but the battles are very long and no one wanna construct 10 armors for a only single battle XD

And i know the tips, most part of the bosses i have killed with mods, but some details that i noticed playing on my console

Differents opinions... please don't start bad discussions, i understand If you disagree, it's just what i think, good night :D

8 minutes ago, D7X said:

What are you apologising for? They're probably stoked that their thread got a ton of replies and people talking about the idea. Nothing bad is happening here, stop trying to make it seem like that. You might think you're doing good and I'm sure everyone liking your post reassures you of that but you are helping to create an echo chamber where people are only allowed to think and talk a certain way. No one is breaking the rules in a major enough way to warrant this kind of response, going off topic briefly is perfectly acceptable and as Mike said before, anyone telling OP how to beat the bosses is more off topic than those discussing the implications of a new slider in the game. The OP asked for a difficulty setting, not tips.

I'm apologizing because this is the first post this person ever on these forums and it has turned into what I'd consider to be "something bad". Debate is fine and good, it's how the best ideas are formed. I personally love debating with whoever would indulge me. However, attacking the ideas and attacking the person are two different things. If using insults or attacking the forumite is a different way of thinking and talking, then I'm sorry to inform you that the forums are in fact an "echo chamber".

Spoiler

"Be constructive and don't make it personal: You’re certainly allowed to disagree with one another, in fact, we encourage debates. However disagreements get out of hand when personal attacks, profanity, or threats are thrown around. Keep the dialogue positive instead of letting it deteriorate into personal insults. Keep criticisms constructive and polite." -Klei Forum Guidelines

It's not my job to bring up the rules, nor was I trying to until what I'm guessing was you claiming that they are an echo chamber(?) I was simply trying to welcome the OP to the forums and let them know that this doesn't typically happen.

So uhm I just wanted to point out something else (apologies for continuing to post when I said I would not) 

Spoiler

I have watched every strategy video, looked up every guide, checked this detailed statistical informations: 

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonfly

And according to that All I need is a single pan flute and 138 stacks of gunpowder to blow Dragonfly into Valhalla without so much as throwing a single punch.

But the reason i spoiler tagged that is because as you can clearly see by the OP’s above reply: We aren’t looking for strategies for defeating the bosses as they are now- What we want is a scaled down more enjoyable but still completely fair and balanced fight when less players are playing.

Discussing the strategies and videos me and op have watched & tried is Off-Topic, I get that your trying to help and really.. thank you, but we aren’t asking for help- We’re asking for easier more enjoyable fights that don’t require me to build 14 suits of marble Armor.

I dont find it off topic to disuss about strategies for the fight.

You expose a problem and want to discuss aboute creating a new solution when there already is one (that just dont fit you) :

1 hour ago, Astra100L said:

but the battles are very long and no one wanna construct 10 armors for a only single battle XD

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

We’re asking for easier more enjoyable fights that don’t require me to build 14 suits of marble Armor.

Or maybe you can simply learn to kite and just build only 2 of them ? Why bother adding option ? But if i share a Kite guide video then it will be off topic.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What we want is a scaled down more enjoyable but still completely fair and balanced fight when less players are playing.

Seem like its already the case for me.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So uhm I just wanted to point out something else (apologies for continuing to post when I said I would not) 

Reveal hidden contents

I have watched every strategy video, looked up every guide, checked this detailed statistical informations: 

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonfly

And according to that All I need is a single pan flute and 138 stacks of gunpowder to blow Dragonfly into Valhalla without so much as throwing a single punch.

But the reason i spoiler tagged that is because as you can clearly see by the OP’s above reply: We aren’t looking for strategies for defeating the bosses as they are now- What we want is a scaled down more enjoyable but still completely fair and balanced fight when less players are playing.

Discussing the strategies and videos me and op have watched & tried is Off-Topic, I get that your trying to help and really.. thank you, but we aren’t asking for help- We’re asking for easier more enjoyable fights that don’t require me to build 14 suits of marble Armor.

Please just try a little harder and actually use and try out strategies and tips given to you rather than asking for the game to be dramatically changed, they are raid bosses not normal bosses. They are MEANT to require setup, they are MEANT to be somewhat tough, they are MEANT to take ages and they are MEANT to be something you do later in the game until you are super experienced and want to try speed rushing or whatever bosses, they aren't supposed to be easy like Bearger and Deerclops and only last a few minutes.

They are LATE GAME, END CONTENT for a sandbox game that honestly doesn't have that much else to do (other than giant base building projects or decoration) once you reach a certain day count.

They give out REALLY REALLY good loot (Furnace, Bundling Wraps, Jellybeans, Krampus Sack and Glowlights are seriously some of the best items in the game and can be COMPLETELY game changing once you get your hands on them especially Bundling and Krampus Sack) that you are supposed to have to really work for, if these items are much easier to obtain this completely throws off the whole balance of the game and the value of almost every item - why bother obtaining other healing items at all or even making pierogis anymore if BQ is made super easy? Just farm her for Jellybeans constantly. If Dfly is a pushover just set up furnaces across the entire map within the first year of the game so Winter no longer has downsides oh and also get ENDLESS gems of every colour from her and use the Green gems to construct/deconstruct giving you endless resources of your choosing!

In a game that is based on Multiplayer (EVERYTHING is achievable solo trust me, I BARELY play with others and lead a rather solitary existence in this game) and has a limited amount of ACTUALLY challenging raid bosses the absolutely last thing needed is some sort of scale to make these bosses easier or balanced for less players. If you genuinely want to beat them and put in the effort you will, this is not dark souls. If you don't/can't be bothered to use proven strategies or dedicating time to making a setup (Dfly Wall, Bunny Village for BQ or even just learning the kite pattern or whatever it may be) then you don't get the loot simple. If something like this was implemented for whatever reason then yeah 100% you shouldn't get the loot if you turn down the slider AT ALL because you haven't put the work in and haven't spent the resources you should have to be getting something so strong in return.

I'll try to summarize.

So the original problem(?) is that bosses aren't designed to be fought alone.

Proposal: add a difficulty (or boss health?) slider.

Solutions: Bosses are indeed possible to defeat alone by using existing game features (celestial portal, some character perks, catapults, bunnymen, lavae walls, etc.) or mods (such as Automatic Health Adjust and yes, Mike, we've heard a million times that you have no access to mods on console)

What this thread turned into: people giving advice to defeat those bosses alone using game mechanics, some people refusing to use said mechanics and instead ask the devs add the slider as an option => this started a massive debate. (and this might just be a trend, similiar thing happened when people asked for a gore filter option for horror hounds and pengulls, because why not add a billion options for different kinds of people to appease each minority, surely each of those suggested options wouldn't hurt anyone, right?)

I feel like had this thread been in Suggestions and Feedback, this entire debate wouldn't happen, because it would've been seen merely as a suggestion and nothing else, if that makes sense. People would've most likely reacted to it without bringing up existing game features that already solve that problem (plus less people visit SaF anyway).

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I said wasn’t going to comment on this topic anymore but I just want to point out that somewhere along the way you ALL Went off-topic in trying to provide strategies and tips for how you fight bosses when if you go back and re-read the original topic- The OP is clearly not asking for your input on how to deal with bosses.

Please consider this and get back on topic, thank you & have a great day.

Kinda ironic for you to say that though.

8 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Inappropriate, this is actually offensive and somewhat demeaning to tell people "God" loves them if they aren't religious. Lets keep religion well out of these forums as it has no place here.

hmmmm how is that demeaning to tell people that there loved?that part of my reply is meant to make people feel happy and loved but if you don't like me mentioning religion then i won't and if it has bothered you in any way im sorry

EDIT changed the reply not mention any religion as to not offend anyone sorry again.

9 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

If you are trying to prove you aren't Mike you are doing a terrible job. This statement here actually makes me think there is a chance you are Mike lol.

ohh well guess ill have to prove my case because im not mike i swear. im a different person entirely and ill give my reasons

1.i have different opinions from mike which should be enough proof that im not mike but i do sometimes disagree with mike. i highly doubt mike just thought of this whole plan of making a alt account and giving it different opinions from his own

2.we both have different knowledge on different things which is something that ll humans have making them unique one example would be me knowing arabic (which you can notice from me translating arabic in a certain topic i think it was the creepypasta topic but thats not important)and i highly doubt that mike knows arabic (maybe he does but i highly doubt it)

3.i don't really have a third point but you gotta say my first and second points are enough to conclude that im not mike

You never even gave me a chance to answer the question.

there are some questions that are not really meant to be answered. heres an example your friend asks you"why are you stupid"as a joke.are you going to answer that question?most probably not right?

You asked me the same question 2 times in a row. 

yeah i do that a lot sorry.

You sure put together posts like Mike. .

do i?mike doesn't make many posts and neither do i but the posts i make (in my opinion) are different from mike`s but if you include replys as posts well i still think my posts are different from mike.most of the time i either answer the topic with my opinion or i leave a dumb sarcastic joke and i don't really see mike making any jokes.

Does Mike have a forum Alt? Who knows. Does Mike speak arabic? Who knows (apparently you do).

i don't know actually but i think its pretty safe to say that not a lot of people on this forum know arabic. if mike does know arabic well good for them but it doesn't seem apparent that they know arabic so im guessing mike doesn't know arabic

thats all i have to say to prove im not mike i don't if im still sentenced guilty or not but all i can really say is that you gotta take my word on it im not mike. i don't wanna be known as mike`s forum alt because im not. im a real human being that is not related to mike

(this entire reply can be taken as a joke because im pretty sure everyone here knows im not mike)

i don't think this topic is gonna go anywhere anymore considering most people already voiced there opinions.

so i hope you all have a calm day or night wherever you are in the world

k bye

12 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

@Astra100L

I was wondering if you received any information from this thread that will help you defeat DFly. The thread itself went screaming downhill at around the 4th post when it was totally derailed.

Mike23U's off-topic doesn't really count as a derail. If you're a regular to the forums you would already know that's what he does all the time.

and while I generally agree with your posts, you were the reason this thread is now murdered. Take a step back to see why a quote wars is the worst way to argue in a forum.

18 minutes ago, Well-met said:

and while I generally agree with your posts, you were the reason this thread is now murdered. 

I began to defend myself from the 2 less than competent lackeys towards the end of page 3. While this obviously didn't help things I don't feel the above is a fair statement.

59 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I began to defend myself from the 2 less than competent lackeys towards the end of page 3. 

its pretty safe to notice who you're talking about and i personally find it very rude that i was called a lackey.also you say you began to defend yourself from who i would guess is me and D7X yet i barely even said anything all i asked was if you thought i was the mike`s forum alt (which most probably doesn't even exist)also you do know were human beings right?to call us "less than competent" is just down right rude but i highly doubt your'e gonna say sorry 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont see why, is just pressing atack button and a direction when the 6th hits

And then you will need to share the loot and, maybe, wait ingame years to have a recipe or a equipement

For that 1 player works harder to fight a boss that 4

I really feel what should really happen is loot scaling to encourage more teamwork I find that the biggest turn off for bossing is sharing loot in dst

23 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'd say if sliders were introduced (which I am against), the loot table would need to be changed as well. Anything below the current boss hp and you receive no scales, no eyeball, no thick fur, no shrooms skins, no blueprints, none of that.

I personally think things are fine as they are. People simply need to put a bit more effort forth in my opinion.

Not that I care about them adding a slider or not but this sounds like a elitist mindset which only does harm adding something like that is basically shaming a player for being less skilled there's no point in it.

I'd argue the opposite. That in a game with no tutorial, should sliders for boss health be added, I feel it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce a system that encourages players to learn a mechanic, then complete said mechanic at a level originally intended by the developers.

You feel it is an elitist mindset? That's your call to make. I obviously don't. We have differing opinions, it is what it is.

To be candid, my personal fear is circular development. I've seen it quite a bit over my time gaming, as I would imagine everyone else has. The constant return to fundamental pieces of a game to constantly be changed this way and that. If the building blocks of a game cannot be nailed down, the progress of development will obviously be hindered.

I feel DST is most certainly at a point where the basics have been figured out and there is no reason to make late passes on things such as boss health. That's obviously my opinion, and others have completely opposite opinions.

To address your quote of my previous comment directly, of course I think risk vs reward should come into play. It is and has been a common staple of gaming more or less forever. I personally find it hard for anyone to argue with a straight face that less risk should gain equal rewards. But once again it's all opinions.

You guys really need to stop derailing this thread, YES I derail threads but a developer or forum admin can probably tell you that it’s usually only for one or two posts before going back on to the actual topic- That’s pretty much how discussions work: Otherwise we may as well call ourselves forum Robots who can only ever think or Reply with a Singular Mindset.

If you need more reasons as to why I PERSONALLY Want Dragonfly in Particular to be easier to beat Alone: I own two unique skins that BOTH are tied exclusively to fighting her The Dragon Scale Furnace (6 hour Twitch drop) and the Vampire Broodling (Hallowed Nights Belongings Pet) 
Those items are literally the only reasons I want to fight this particular boss- I don’t care one bit for anything else..

TECHNICALLY you can already defeat her with a single Panflute use and a stack of 138 gunpowder (an Insta-Kill) but that’s not what Myself nor the OP of this post wanted: We Want a fun, Fair Balanced fight, And We Want it.. because if we took roughly 90 stacks of gunpowder into this fight ahead of fighting her we can scale that health ourselves.

What we DO NOT WANT- (or at least I don’t not sure bout OP) are your strategies to Wall of portions of the fight eliminating the one feature of running for your life from exploding Larvae that makes this fight unique compared to fighting any old common tree guardians..

At this point I’m just repeating myself like a broken record, but considering that the developers do do QOL updates: And that they listen to fan feedback in deciding what should be part of a QoL update- This is something I would really like to see happen as part of those QoL updates.

I accepted a long time ago that people have varying skill levels from each other, and that we all play the game to enjoy ourselves & you would be lying through your teeth if you said being able to bring these bosses down to be more fair and balanced, wouldn’t make those areas of the game more enjoyable for players who aren’t as skilled as You are.

Basically it boils down to making parts of the game more accessible to those who are less skilled then you so they can still get equally as much enjoyment out of their game as You do, OR locking those players behind a difficulty threshold that many of them may never even be able to accomplish.

The Bottom line: Klei designed this content it’s fun exciting, unique content- But its content most people who can’t gather a group of buddies to spam “Attack” have to ignore exists or turn off completely.

And to be honest: it just doesn’t feel right, That’s literally content those players COULD be enjoying if it was just adjustable to their preferred skill level of playing it.

Maybe my opinion is wrong.. but that’s at least how I feel about it.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

the thing is that you are talking from unknowledge

raid bosses are difficult to learn (they have high damage so you will waste a lot of resources because of many mistakes) but when you know how they work they are "easy". Dont starve isnt a skilled game, you dont need to be a pr0 to kite so the difficult comes from being able to manage multiple problems and taking in count a lot of things (last hound wave, how many days of season left, food, healing (do you wanna beat a raid boss alone, without experience with only 3 piergoies?), weapons/armor durability, etc) . The emotion of fighting dragonfly or toadstoal will be reduced.

When you learn the fights the preparation needed is hightly reduced to the point of being fun because is where you waste part of the ingame time to fight these bosses, is a survival crafting game so crafting and farming is part of it. Fights like toad arent difficult but you have to manage your time and how to farm fameterials to be able to beat him earlier and not at day 1000. There comes organization too, im able to kill all surface and cave bosses in 1 year alone but with my 3 noob friends we need 2 winters just to kill klaus because of organization and not being able to deal with dangers.

If boss hp is changed these kind of players like my friends will burn the game quickly because they will be able to beat raid bosses without knowing how to totally beat the minor dangers. The gameplay evolves non stop for every little thing you learn making each world played unique

What makes a world fun is the time you have to spend in gathering resources for surviving and beating things, if you reduce these the fun of the game ends pretty quick since with few gear you will be able to beat a lot of bosses (already a veteran can beat all of bosses with few gear from the 1st ruin rush)

This is a problem that hamlet has, there is only optional bosses but their health isnt bigger than the rog deerclops so the preparation needed is a joke for a boss that you decide when to fight him

or you hug basedecoration or you will get bored of the game pretty soon with these changes

a risk/reward system could be a not bad addition like in other games, less difficulty less cool loot/exp/whatever mechanic the game has

4 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Please get back on topic.

This doesn't need to be a heated argument you guys. This is a forum for a video game. A lot of players take pride in how cool our community is, so let's try to keep it that way - please. 

thank you for saving the day joe .what would we be without you 

Archived