Solo Players Support

A quick blurb, I'm working atm so I can't comment much, but I think the best bet is to address the OP and their concerns.

The old adage of playing chess with a pigeon most definitely applies here. Some forum archeology will show the current direction of this thread is a waste of time and mental resources.

The OP may actually be open to input, the focus should be on helping them.

45 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Edit. Klei already added a solo friendly mechanic when they introduce the celestial portal to change your character 

If you want quickly fights use character perks

Exactly what I was afraid to read.

Could we not consider the best answer for solo player to overcharge an area with catapults and then go spicy voltgoat chaud-froid full Wolfgang on the boss ? There is already another alive thread on that subject with many players agreeing they don't like the mechanic. For me, I don't like it ONLY for this specific case : people encouraging that behavior to adress subject they consider as a problem and thus closing the discussion to substantial improvements to the game.

It is the same as saying "you don't like hounds waves anymore in your megabase world of 5 000 days ? Go Wendy"
"don't like to beat Dragonfly for the 100th for its scales ? Go C_spawn"

Threads like this one shouldn't end on this kind of advices, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

The OP may actually be open to input, the focus should be on helping them.

Well in that case then...

Since most DST bosses were meant for groups of players then fighting them solo requires tricks and tactics beyond simple tanking.

Forget about facing the boss "the right way" because the right way is in group of at least three players, all armored and with good supply of heals. The singleplayer version of Don't Starve was meant for one player to fight all the bosses. Don't Starve Together was designed for multiple people and I highly doubt Klei would change anything that would defeat the purpose of having other people with you.

Build the wall to block lavae and road for Dfly to make dodging attacks easier. Build a mass of catapults or thirty bunny houses for bee queen. Get Klaus stuck between his own bag and stagehand. Trap the Ancient Fuelweaver in Lureplant cage and let Houndius Shootius deal with it.

On a side note whenever I read Mike's posts I feel bad for the console players. Seems like there are a lot of issues that could be solved with simple mods. Perhaps Klei could implement some sort of workshop? I know that few console games have mods, although I don't remember which ones.

14 minutes ago, Caochu said:

Exactly what I was afraid to read.

Could we not consider the best answer for solo player to overcharge an area with catapults and then go spicy voltgoat chaud-froid full Wolfgang on the boss ? There is already another alive thread on that subject with many players agreeing they don't like the mechanic. For me, I don't like it ONLY for this specific case : people encouraging that behavior to adress subject they consider as a problem and thus closing the discussion to substantial improvements to the game.

It is the same as saying "you don't like hounds waves anymore in your megabase world of 5 000 days ? Go Wendy"
"don't like to beat Dragonfly for the 100th for its scales ? Go C_spawn"

Threads like this one shouldn't end on this kind of advices, IMO.

I dont like either but nerfing boss hp when that mechanic exist will be silly

And isnt the same that using console commands. Its a game feature not like ancient guardian getting stock, a real feature

Also i didnt say you have to play wolfgang +jelly+catapults

You cant complain about playing a lone and then complain about a mechanic to help solo players.

If you want to play wendy, play it but you cant complain about misery toadstool having that hp if you dont want to reduce it with voltgoat jelly

Why would klei waste time on reducing by half the hp pool of bosses when they have added already something tht gives x2 damagd

If no, you have hondious shotious. Is what i use

Also, is a boss fight and boss fights are difficult and takes time like in every game.

Having long boss fights is so interesting in a survival game for all the things that may happend during the fight (weather, wave atack, hunder, sanity, etc) 

Comparing portal with console commands... atleast you need to prepare it and again, why reduce the hp when you can increase damage.

I only used portal 1 time and was to beat crab king because i didnt consider it a fair fight for 1 player. 1 mistake and all is over. Instead of coming here to cry to add useless features that are fixed already i used the jelly on woodie. Instead of a boss with +20000hp i killed a boss with +10000

And again, when you play with more people you share the loot. Playing alone means that you have all the resources to beat the boss and you will recieve the entire loot.

Try to play with 5 people and get bundle wrap recipe for all of them

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yes or learn how to kite them or disable them in world edit

Demagogia

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Try to play with 5 people and get bundle wrap recipe for all of them

There is a Youtube video I don't know how to find where a player stated that you could beat dragonfly on day 1 with 6 Wolfgang using only battle helmets and hambat. In approximatively 30 seconds. 12 seconds with spicy voltgoat chaud-froid.

And there is another video where a bunch of players with notably two Wolfgang and 2 Wendy killed the Bee Queen in less time than that, provoking the hilarity of the streamer.

It says a lot about "difficulty" in solo and together. Stating that solo should be more difficult than together is right, but let's take a look at what it actually is before having the talk about "it will be too easy". Just look at where the "too easy" is already. Let's instead discuss about what will be enjoyable, maybe ?

Also, why does that matter that only one got the recipe ? You only need one to people know the craft. That's not a real argument.

Ok so I play DST solo mainly because it's a more challenging experience solo than regular DS is and nerfing bosses would lessen that challenge for me and I assume many others. That said, adding a slider on world gen that allowed you to keep bosses as they are now (Default) or scale them better based on player count (Scaled) would give people more options without hurting anyone's experience of the game.

6 minutes ago, Caochu said:

There is a Youtube video I don't know how to find where a player stated that you could beat dragonfly on day 1 with 6 Wolfgang using only battle helmets and hambat. In approximatively 30 seconds. 12 seconds with spicy voltgoat chaud-froid.

And there is another video where a bunch of players with notably two Wolfgang and 2 Wendy killed the Bee Queen in less time than that, provoking the hilarity of the streamer.

It says a lot about "difficulty" in solo and together. Stating that solo should be more difficult than together is right, but let's take a look at what it actually is before having the talk about "it will be too easy". Just look at where the "too easy" is already. Let's instead discuss about what will be enjoyable, maybe ?

Also, why does that matter that only one got the recipe ? You only need one to people know the craft. That's not a real argument.

So what? Let people be lame. They will get bored of using that much wolfgangs.

Sure. I love to ask for bundles everytime i want to keep my food

5 cant sare the same bone armor

I want the freedom of being able to place furnace 

So, yes, you need to kill multipletimes bosses

You didnt answere why portal is like using console commands when is a good solution for solo players that dont lile long fights. You came with more demagogy with that lamer wolfgangs

2 minutes ago, FrozenMountan said:

I'm just gonna say that I spent like an hour roiling back again and again against klaus, even when I came into the fight with 33 pierogis and a hambat and like 14 football helms.

And then, when you learnd the fight, you will need only 1 helmet and no healing :/

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

And then, when you learnd the fight, you will need only 1 helmet and no healing :/

That is correct, but the problem for me is not that I haven't learned enough of the fight, it is that I had to spend that much time and effort to only barely bring down one of the weaker raid bosses

6 minutes ago, FrozenMountan said:

That is correct, but the problem for me is not that I haven't learned enough of the fight, it is that I had to spend that much time and effort to only barely bring down one of the weaker raid bosses

ºbut that happend to all of us and is part of dst charm

now you will farm to fight him, with experience, you will farm HIM

maybe now fighting klaus is your year goal but after practising your year goal will be klaus+ df, and later klaus+df+beequeen

and suddenly you will fight any boss in any moment you want because you will be better at the fight and resouce gathering/management

dst has a lot of gameplay 360º changes from being in danger by picking grass to farming bosses and that proccess takes time because they are bosses (suppose to be dangerous enemies that can kill you in a long fight like in everygame)

Too much text to bother, but I wanna point out that it is techically possible not to take any damage from any boss (kinda except for Klaus, but it's minor damage from cold/heat which is whatever) while playing it solo. Though phases 2-3 of BQ are better face-tanked (without grumble bees though) with thulecite club, that's true.

1 hour ago, D7X said:

Ok so I play DST solo mainly because it's a more challenging experience solo than regular DS is and nerfing bosses would lessen that challenge for me and I assume many others. That said, adding a slider on world gen that allowed you to keep bosses as they are now (Default) or scale them better based on player count (Scaled) would give people more options without hurting anyone's experience of the game.

I was thinking more along the lines of Low health, Less Health, Default, More Health, High Health.

I’m just going to do what I always do and ignore all the comments about my skill or lack thereof at playing this game.. and instead focus on what’s most important-

Klei added content to the game, that content is designed to be mostly a cakewalk when performed with multiple players- There is no in-between option for making Solo play against them any easier.

Now.. before you criticize consider the following- you can host worlds where you have More Resources & More Food Sources available to you, while at the same exact time you can host worlds where you have LESS or None of those things available to You.

If you find Ice to be too easy of a crockpot filler you can simply turn off Ice Glaciers completely in Settings, if you find Hound Waves to be too Annoying/not fun for you after the 5000th time, you can turn them OFF completely, or if your wanting more of them you can toggle them to happen more often.

You can toggle MORE Deerclops, LESS Deerclops or NO Deerclops at all.

And yet... I still get laughed at for wanting Basic QoL features so I can enjoy content that I otherwise have to ignore exists at all?

Man I swear I don’t get “People” Ahem anyways- I can Toggle Dragonfly’s entire biome to NOT Spawn at all... But what I Do not have any options for is making her any easier to beat without Mods, Without cheap tactics, Without tons of setup and preparation- etc...

Playing Alone should not = having to use every trick in the book to fight that boss, Playing Alone should = fun exciting, fair & balanced fight.

If you want more health on your bosses then this same slider me and OP would like added that makes our boss fights easier would also be used to make yours harder.

HOW can any of this possibly be too hard to understand? :( 

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

is making her any easier to beat without Mods, Without cheap tactics

This is a fair request.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Without tons of setup and preparation- etc...

This is not a fair request. 

It's a boss. People use this word often that it loses meaning, but you really ought to go recheck what a "boss" means in videogame context.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Playing Alone should = fun exciting, fair & balanced fight.

The game is called "don't starve together". It exists under the breakthrough of enabling multiplayer for the dont starve engine. Every facet of DST is made under the implication of multiple players. If you want to play DST like a singleplayer you're free to do it, however you will suffer the consequences of it.

For the record, most people have no problem playing DST alone.

By the way you should really consider getting yourself a cheap laptop and move to PC already. Every single of your woes with this game is easily fixed by mods.

I should also point out that Klei didn’t want to change these fights and make them any easier because up until last year there wasn’t much content to do beyond these fights themselves.. but now with new Characters, exciting reworks and all the Return of Them content- making these bosses easier for solo players who don’t wish to spend hours fighting them wouldn’t be as harmful as it would’ve been had those bosses been the only content left to experience in the game.

But luckily- it’s not, and the more Klei adds to do outside of these boss fights, the less annoying and enjoyable the boss fights themselves can be made.

5 minutes ago, Well-met said:

This is a fair request.

This is not a fair request. 

It's a boss. People use this word often that it loses meaning, but you really ought to go recheck what a "boss" means in videogame context.

The game is called "don't starve together". It exists under the breakthrough of enabling multiplayer for the dont starve engine. Every facet of DST is made under the implication of multiple players. If you want to play DST like a singleplayer you're free to do it, however you will suffer the consequences of it.

By the way you should really consider getting yourself a cheap laptop and move to PC already. Every single of your woes with this game is easily fixed by mods.

well met, good sir(/ma''am/mx)!

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

but what about the people who aren't planning to buy a pc and prefer to play with console?they just have to deal with the problems that the pc players don't have to deal with?

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

HOW can any of this possibly be too hard to understand? :( 

well maybe its because they don't want to understand?or they don't agree with your playstyle?or something? i don't really know 

a option of different health for the bosses could work (i think)so if people wanted the bosses to have their normal amount of health they would put the option on default and if people wanted the bosses to have less health they would the option on less but hey im not a game dev this idea could easily be trash and not work at all 

anyways i hope everyone here is having a......uhhhh.....whats a nice word to use here....hmmmm.....oohhh i got it.i hope you all have a positive filled day or night wherever you are in the world(it ain't the best but it will do)

k bye

1 minute ago, stranger again said:

but what about the people who aren't planning to buy a pc and prefer to play with console?they just have to deal with the problems that the pc players don't have to deal with?

depends what you call a "problem". Turns out it might not even be a problem after all!

16 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I'm fairly certain that Mike is just refusing to do that at this point. Without the console part of things, they can't complain about every little thing as much as they do about DST.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Low health, Less Health, Default, More Health, High Health.

Yeah those would be more in line with the other options. If a new slider is all you want (and the current balance remains the default option) no one should be arguing the point. But this place is full of people that love to argue over sensible additions to the game.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Playing Alone should not = having to use every trick in the book to fight that boss, Playing Alone should = fun exciting, fair & balanced fight.

Again though, I like that playing alone equals having to use every trick in the book, it makes the game more than just hitting big animals with sticks. But there's nothing wrong with giving you the option to play it how you want.

I'd say if sliders were introduced (which I am against), the loot table would need to be changed as well. Anything below the current boss hp and you receive no scales, no eyeball, no thick fur, no shrooms skins, no blueprints, none of that.

I personally think things are fine as they are. People simply need to put a bit more effort forth in my opinion.

Just now, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'd say if sliders were introduced (which I am against), the loot table would need to be changed as well. Anything below the current boss hp and you receive no scales, no eyeball, no thick fur, no shrooms skins, no blueprints, none of that.

I personally think things are fine as they are. People simply need to put a bit more effort forth in my opinion.

Eat some jerky mate you've gone insane.

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You didnt answere why portal is like using console commands when is a good solution for solo players that dont lile long fights. You came with more demagogy with that lamer wolfgangs

Because I never said that and didn't understand how you could have transformed what I said ealier in that way. Bad timing to talk about demagogy !

41 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Not sure I can agree with this mindset either- you get the eyeball, the thick fur etc exclusively to craft an item that makes staying alive day by day easier.. right?

So those items should in actuality be dropping MORE Often for people who need them and LESS often for people who don’t-

(I actually made a thread once about a No-Eyed Deerclops on Harder Difficulty Mode, that only came to crash your base & did not drop anything useful when killed.. And yes- Just because I want nearly impossible to kill alone bosses to be made a little bit easier to deal with does not mean that I shouldn’t have any rights to request the game to get harder in other Area’s outside of Bosses.)

Im really only here in this thread to complain about owning exclusive skins like Vampire Broodling that I will never be able to actually craft because I can not kill the insanely high HP Boss that getting said useless pet is tied to. 

Me & the Op would like bosses to be easier to fight Solo- Easier.. but still balanced & exciting to battle. It’s not like we are asking for One Hit Kill options. 

Archived