How do you keep yourself entertained with DST?

I am finding myself a bit bored of Megabasing in Don't Starve Together. I am looking for new fun and exciting ways to enjoy the game. I currently have been doing a lot of 0 death runs and boss rushing. I am sort of looking for ideas without mods because I know there a ton of great mods out there to choose from but sort of looking to enjoy more gameplay. I hope for the future Klei comes up with a simple solution to make the game harder over time or bring some sort of Dungeons aspect to the game where in your down time from keeping the base nice and tidy you can venture into a labyrinth similar to in Hamlet. 

Let me know your ways you enjoy the game. 

when im temporarily bored of playing solo ill join a public server in winter/summer or something as willow and try to survive haha. starting in winter with 0 resources around the portal really changes everything, now ur actually fighting to survive! 

I recommend playing the game my way- I’ll try to keep this into as short of a TL:DR as possible.. 

Living off the land, a world in which you are not allowed to relocate ANYTHING from its natural spawning resource area.. You can’t uproot the Grass Tufts and replace them elsewhere in fact.. just pretend that the Shovel doesn’t exist unless used in the following ways: To dig up graves, or to dig up sapling & grass and burn immediately in a campfire.

You are allowed to build a base or multiple bases with the base essential features (including Ice Box & Salt Box) but what you are NOT allowed to do is relocate the land TO YOUR Base- it defeats the whole purpose of living off the land..

Lastly- The only forms of revival you can use are: Resurrection stones, Telltale Heart or (if playing Endless..) haunting the portal you started from, you are also allowed to use Life Giving Amulet if you happen to find it from digging up a grave or something.

You can BUILD Merm, Pig or Bunnymen huts really it’s just the 200 berries conveniently located in base your not allowed to have.

Bird Cage with birds trapped inside for free endless eggs is also not allowed for living off the land, Bird Traps however..or choosing to base near tallbird nests are perfectly useable.

The whole idea is to feel like a stranded lost survivor out in the wilderness living entirely off what you can find, catch & kill.

Also one more important thing- if you die and can not make it to a resurrection source within the time allowed (if playing survival) you are NOT allowed to Roll the Server back and you have to let your world be destroyed and start a new.

The concept is pretty simple- You survive off things from their naturally spawning resources, you do not relocate all the resources for your convenience and then be bored out of your mind because your wilderness survival game suddenly became farming simulator and base building.

I feel you, i haven't been truly invested in DST and its new content in quite a time. I usually play because of the Rosa mod, anyhow.

When i do get invested, its because i get the chance to help people, whether if its just me hopping onto a pub to do some wicker magic or onto a streamer world to help out using max

I'll be honest, i cameback to the game only because of the new beta for now atleast, but i'm slowly regaining interest in coming back to public worlds.

Back when i still played i was on my solo world just decorating and messing around with different characters by myself. Public worlds can also be very fun and chill, my main motivation joining pubs was to help others with basing or learning basics of the game.

I try out new methods of surviving, use items that aren't used much. Try out wacky strategies(I recently fed a lot of poop pellets to slurtles to get a lot of slurtle slime to blow up marble trees, weird but fun for me!)

love pubs so I go on them a lot, they're chaotic, quick, and are just a fun time.

i like to make 90's style dungeon traps in the caves. to be fair i am lucky and have mod privileges so i can do this on a dedi server and take people down to the caves to see if they can solve/defeat the traps but still XD

i also like hopping on between late fall and early winter and seeing how long i can survive since a lot of my current play comes from farming. it encourages me to go back to a more nomadic playstyle like when i used to do solo

the funnest thing though is to grab two or three friends and all of you hitting the random char option then trying to play AS the char you get. it usually ends in death but if you make a burner world or set your game to endless it is pretty hilarious and fun ^^ in my last run i, the base mum got wig, our resident recource collector got wx and our brawler got wicker(and by that virtue got stuck as the base mum). we took over a week in-came to actually have the bare minimum resources to make a boat with a crockpot on it, haha the run ended in death about 4 days into summer

Mods.  Also self-imposed challenges, such as:

The Caveman Challenge

related:  No Science Machine/must learn everything from blueprints (there's a mod for that:  "Gotta Collect 'Em All!")

My own "March of Civilization" challenge...although I can't really recommend that one at the moment since it needs so much re-tweaking.  The basic idea is this, if you want to run off with it your own way:  You advance "through the ages" ;) going by roughly what got invented when in real life, rather than based off of DST's actual science/magic tiers, changing up a level at the beginning of each new year (all four seasons).  You start as a hunter-gatherer, and are not allowed to make any more "base" than a firepit.  If you find more advanced stuff you can use it, but not make a new one until later.

Think of what it is you like most about the game and maybe look into challenges or mods that provide more of that.  Like exploring?  Try a Huge or even Giant map. Like combat? Try adding more bosses.  Like biomes?  Try the Cherry Forest, Sugarwood biome...or if you're feeling adventurous, Megarandom/Multilands.  Etc.

If all else fails, take a break from DST entirely and come back when you're naturally more in the mood for it.

...Notorious

I've currently been enjoying Feast and Famine with a Wendy+Warly hybrid playthrough(Wendy with Warly's portable crockpot, crockpot food restriction and a 4 day food memory), I've been calling it a culinary adventure.

In the playthrough though I ban the use of spices and only use the portable grinder for Feast and Famine recipes(because I like watching it go spinny >.>)

I only really felt like doing this kind of playthrough due to just being sick of the usual food meta and wishing that other means of food acquisition were more useful, like I use legion's crops because they're actually worthwhile to use compared to vanilla crops.

Thats just me though.

If you're not playing on console just use mods. Just don't focus on the pretentious douches who mock anyone who dares to use different mods on their server and try and mix it up.

There's so many great mods that alter your game experience, either through character mods, rebalances, new biomes and God knows what else.

You can even try and learn how to code yourself, Lua. is decently easy.

But yeah, das it.

Mods.

new challenges or just make handicaps with your headcannon, try new ways of fighting bosses, try to survive with every character using their unique mechanics, use mods, learn lua, make light outs worlds or mess with map editing...

or just make a rest. Sometimes change to other game is needed.

Do new and different things. Just keep doing different things. The more you do one thing the more boring it is. Making your base in different locations can really spice things up, with the more different the better. A minor overworld biome change isn't too drastic, but basing on a boat, in the caves, or in the ruins will. Using different items, strategies, characters, and playstyles is also good. Set weird goals such as becoming one with the slurtles, basing in their biome, and periodically bringing gifts of slime to the overworlders as they gaze upon your glorious evolved snurtle form. Maybe see how many slurpers you can move to the Florid Postern before people realize you're doing it. 

Archived