Modders vs Klei.

The most amazing thing about this game is that only in this game support for content from modders is much higher than from the developer.

I also often see that developers use the idea previously used by modders for their updates.

But why can't such "must have" modifications as "Show me", "Craft pot", "Extra equip slots" (and others) just be added to the game client?

Most of the modifications are mediocre and are made by schoolchildren .. But there are some that directly captivated my imagination. They have mechanics, skill buttons, skill directed. Sometimes you come to the conclusion that modder programmers are stronger than Klei programmers.

I find that adding a few Wigfried songs as separate items is a very weak move from Klei.

Just look at the "Green" mod - even modders managed to add 2 buttons with directional casting abilities when donning a hat.

Mods like a "G10mmer" are just the future of the game and a further branch of technology..

part of the challenge of DST is memorizing information.

I can see some mods being incorporated(e.g. quick drop was incorporated) But I do not wish for the mods you have listed to be incorporated.

Not to mention we have the cook book now which can be used,

Sir, this seems to imply you have no heard of the following: minecraft, skyrim, oblivion, fallouts 3, 4 or new vegas, minecraft, rimworld, tabletop simulator, dawn of war soulstorm, darkest dungeon or TF2.

29 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

But why can't such "must have" modifications as "Extra equip slots" just be added to the game client?

yeah how about a major NO 

also "extra equip slots" is not a "must have" it makes the game a whole lot easier and its not the kinda thing that klei want in dont starve together 

26 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

"Extra equip slots"

this mod is game-breaking and takes from the full experience of the game. it is just a crutch that makes the game easier, and with that, makes you not as good at the game because of it.

27 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

"Craft pot",

this mod is pretty much useless, we have the cookbook.

30 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

Mods like a "G10mmer" are just the future of the game and a further branch of technology..

this mod is BEYOND overpowered, Klei would NEVER add this into the main game, it takes away the need to do SEVERAL of the most important parts of the game. Harvesting grass, twigs, and berries is a very necessary part of the game. and, if you are too lazy to pick them yourself, you can literally just use a lureplant and a wickerbottom to farm hundreds of these items with no mods whatsoever.

things you did NOT bring up however, ARE essential mods that SHOULD be added into the game. for example, Geometric Placement. It not only helps you make things look nicer, but it also saves space, since you can place things in a neat grid as compactly as possible, which is still doable, but it is much easier than just eyeballing it. Another mod that I consider essential is Global Pause, which is great for solo players, allowing them to pause when they need to do something like a bathroom break or run a quick errand instead of having to log out, only to have to come back and take the time for the game to start up again.

I could go on, mentioning mods like Status Announcements, Combined Status, 50 Saveslots, and more, but I think you get the picture.

I almost wish Klei would add all these ridiculous suggestions some people that don't understand the premise of the game on April 1st to render the game unplayable, but it's way too much effort for just a prank. Still, imagine the looks on faces of people who load their games to suddenly having basically a godmode turned on, 500 new mechanics and half the map crashing from incompatible pieces of the game.

3 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I almost wish Klei would add all these ridiculous suggestions some people that don't understand the premise of the game on April 1st to render the game unplayable, but it's way too much effort for just a prank. Still, imagine the looks on faces of people who load their games to suddenly having basically a godmode turned on, 500 new mechanics and half the map crashing from incompatible pieces of the game.

For now, you could download and play Tropical Experience to see what a crazy day like that would look like, Haha!

Just a reminder - not everybody here speaks English as their first language. Please don't get to hung up on choice of words or phrasing.

That being said. Mod support was added so players could add in things that we would not. Most of the time these are things we won't ever add because that's not what we want for the game. Sometimes they are awesome things that are great additions to the game. That's how modding works, and we're super grateful that we have a mod community that has both these things. 

52 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

But why can't such "must have" modifications as "Show me", "Craft pot", "Extra equip slots" (and others) just be added to the game client?

Remember Quick Drop ? Well this is a great example of a mod that doesn't change anything about the game base gameplay, and it has been added in the game last month during the QoL update. An amazing change.

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd_net.jpg.431f48451bcd1d2c2efcb5284ea7b917.jpg

Mods like Show Me, or EES are very impactful, probably useful for newbies or to have a heavy non-vanilla world experience, but the game doesn't need more easiness with indicators and things like this, there's always a much better survival way to do it :

- Global Position : compass & ocuvigil
- Craft Pot : cook book (inspired by a mod btw)
- Wormhole Indicator : try and see, use a moonlens after that.

Sorry we all have an unique approch on the game but, we've been asking for such a long time for an adjusted and interesting game and the right difficulty, it's a very complex goal... so don't try to do the exact opposite with redstone automatism modpack threats or whatsoever. :wilsondisappointed:

The one and only mod I would like to see incorporated officially is the all mighty:

.~`` Geometric Placement ´´~. 

*angel choir plays, gasps are gasped, harps and thunderous clapping*

I have lots of love and respect to many, many mods and their modders. Wonderful stuff. But Geometric Placement is literally the only one I've had continuously on.

Sometimes a mod exceeds all expectations and becomes officially adapted into the game, Just look at ark survival evolved and how the following maps were player created Mods that the Developers liked so much they added officially into the game.. The Center, Valguero, Ragnarok, Crystal Isles- All of those were player created mods that were so popular as Mods that the developers added to the game as actual maps for everyone to enjoy.

Console players do not have access to Mod features, but when a mod becomes so popular it makes it into the game- Those mods also end up on Consoles as well.

I don’t know what all mods are available but I can name a few that I would like to see added into the game as official content so that even Console players can enjoy.

@ADM’s Cherry Forest Mod is near the top of my list, those beautiful Japanese Sakura tree looking biomes with pink trees they should be in the game somewhere!

Shipwrecked & Hamlet compatibility mod (obvious) Gorge & Forge mod.

Haunted House Mod (also obvious)

That mod someone showed me awhile back where you could dive underwater and explore the ocean floor which looked like a fun shipwrecked/hamlet sized dlc 

Play as Critters mod (it would be lots of fun to play as something other then a human/human like monster playing the game in a way vastly different way) you could be a Catcoon doing Catcoon stuff!! What do Catcoons do?? I’m not certain- but I can bet you it’s NOT building a Pickaxe, mining resources, etc..

PLAYABLE CHARLIE!!!

Some mods however I don’t EVER want to see added to the game (mostly the ones that make it easier)

With the exception of a few that should be added in a QoL update like being able to see health bars and damage numbers on enemies your fighting.

Outside of those though- mods can get too crazy to ever be considered official.

I defiantly wouldn’t go so far as to say that modders are better then Klei though- because comparing a world of modders to a company with a specific number of people working at said company.. simply isn’t fair in the slightest.

I enjoy the work Klei puts out, I may criticize it at times but for the most part: I enjoy it, and I am deeply sorry if you do not :( 

I have a serious question I would like to ask of PC Players/Klei

Is their any way at all that Someone who likes to make polls for people to vote on to create a list of the best & most popular mods.. like give players an option to pick their top 10 from a list of 50?

(it would help if said mods listed had links or descriptions for proper voting) 

And then after lots of people have voted and Klei has a clear poll of the Top 10 can we get those added into the game OFFICIALLY at some point?

As a console player: I feel like more could be done here, not in the form of full on Mod Support, but rather in having this community come together to choose the top 10 best mods to become official content.

Klei would have to make the ultimate decision on rather or not the voted upon mods should be official- But at least we would all have a proper poll of what the players want to see become official when it comes to the Top 10 of mod stuffs. :) 

There is no need to do a poll. Steam has the numbers of people with mods installed and we can see which mods are actively being used. We present a randomized list of the top I think 20 or so mods in the game. 

There are a lot of things that go into that. We can't just take those mods and put them on console, the game doesn't work that way. Beyond that, it's not really cool for us to just take them and use them. And even if people agreed, we would have to essentially rewrite and maintain all of them as well since they would need to be optimized and evaluated and then certified for use on console. 

The alternative is a unified modding system that would very much just result in fragmenting the modding community. Modding on console is not an easy task which is why so few games have done it. 

We have considered just building our own version of those mods specifically for console, but all in all such a small portion of the community uses them, it's not the best use of our resources. 

I mildly agree with the message. The game can be a bit too obscure at times (e.g.: we can use nightmare fuel AND volt goat horns on crock pots now, but only on Warly's crock pot you can make specific recipes with them, and I honestly have not used them as filler in other recipes, so I am not sure if it ends up in wet goop), and a few mods can help with that sometimes unnecessary moon logic. That being said, I don't think most mods work well with DST, so it is a very troublesome topic what mods are good enough or not.

Spoiler

This is an unpopular opinion, but I can give a pass to extra equip slots (only backpack slot, no amulet slot) because I honestly don't see how it makes the game THAT much easier to have 8* extra slots, specially considering you can:

• Use a football helmet for any future combat while carrying the backpack. Or carry a log suit in the backpack anyway and use it whenever combat is going to happen.
  • Use thermal stone in winter/summer + winter/summer headgear while carrying a backpack.
  • Use miner hat/mole hat (or torch, I don't judge) for the darkness and caves.

The only 2 cases I see it as a "broken" or big advantage is:

• If you have to fight in the dark (as you would sacrifice armor for slots), but for that you can build a campfire that you can keep crafted beforehand and wear a football helmet.
  • Against raid bosses as you theoretically can prepare more materials against them. However, you can already do that by throwing stuff around their spawn location, or even just using chests if you think it might be destroyed.

*12 slots with -10% speed, or 14 slots if you are lucky to get it from a 1% chance drop from a relatively rare mob

17 minutes ago, OrdoXenos said:

The Legion mod is the best I've ever seen in a game of this genre ..

I think that very few people would have thought of this ..

I want to give that mod a try (mostly because of the farming mechanics it added, many of which are similar to Gorge's), but it adds so many other things it is kind of... intimidating? Other than that this seems like an amazing mod.

2 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

The Legion mod is the best I've ever seen in a game of this genre ..

I think that very few people would have thought of this ..

c94c531a1c3a3b5a2a14a679870d22a9.png

it could bring more hours of fun for you but that mod, and other you suggested, doesnt fit the spirit of the game or are in way that the devs will not take because they already thought or plan what to add into the game .see how batbat and marble suit gets buffed and few months later we have wifgrid rework with marble suit skin and more psinergy with batbat for example. Game companies doesnt improvise

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

This is an unpopular opinion, but I can give a pass to extra equip slots (only backpack slot, no amulet slot) because I honestly don't see how it makes the game THAT much easier to have 8* extra slots, specially considering you can:

• Use a football helmet for any future combat while carrying the backpack. Or carry a log suit in the backpack anyway and use it whenever combat is going to happen.
  • Use thermal stone in winter/summer + winter/summer headgear while carrying a backpack.
  • Use miner hat/mole hat (or torch, I don't judge) for the darkness and caves.

The only 2 cases I see it as a "broken" or big advantage is:

• If you have to fight in the dark (as you would sacrifice armor for slots), but for that you can build a campfire that you can keep crafted beforehand and wear a football helmet.
  • Against raid bosses as you theoretically can prepare more materials against them. However, you can already do that by throwing stuff around their spawn location, or even just using chests if you think it might be destroyed.

*12 slots with -10% speed, or 14 slots if you are lucky to get it from a 1% chance drop from a relatively rare mob

that makes a difference when you fight in the ruins or you are distracted. Also it gives you the ability of wear weather clothes making them even easier to counter

7 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

The most amazing thing about this game is that only in this game support for content from modders is much higher than from the developer.

Every single game with mod support has more mods than official updates. There's even a ton of games without mod support where people added their own that's like that. There's even a ton of games where people risk getting banned for modding the game yet still do and there's more mods than official updates.

7 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

Most of the modifications are mediocre and are made by schoolchildren .. But there are some that directly captivated my imagination. They have mechanics, skill buttons, skill directed. Sometimes you come to the conclusion that modder programmers are stronger than Klei programmers.

Perhaps I haven't played enough mods but only a few have even come close to tying with Klei's quality, and certainly none have surpassed it.

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that makes a difference when you fight in the ruins or you are distracted. Also it gives you the ability of wear weather clothes making them even easier to counter

I already mentioned those though: the ruins (dark place) I can see it being a big advantage (but not really that great/broken that it makes the game silly easy). But for weather seasons (weather clothing), it is not really that advantageous, as you can use:

• Headgear like tam o' shanter or beefalo hat (winter), eyebrella (summer and spring), fashion melon (summer), etc. and have a log armor/football helmet on the ready. And this is the least "efficient" setup IF you expect a fight, otherwise you are good to go.
  • Thermal stone (summer and winter) + football helmet (for those "distractions"). Add a lantern on hand for dark situations, and if you need to fight in the dark, drop the lantern on the floor. In case of spring, you could also use an umbrella for extra 90% rain protection (100% if using the football helmet); only during darkness-fighting would you be exposed to rain with this set-up.

The lack of a backpack slot is only a "detriment" for new players that know little to nothing of the game. But once you know enough of the game, it is more an annoyance than a "challenging" or "interesting" mechanic, because you are using it nearly 24/7 anyway, just dropping it in specific moments. If anything, adding a backpack slot might encourage the use of other body slot gear on long-term players. Or at least that is what I think of it.

Archived