Modders vs Klei.

4 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

The Legion mod is the best I've ever seen in a game of this genre ..

I think that very few people would have thought of this ..

c94c531a1c3a3b5a2a14a679870d22a9.png

I don't think any of these weapons really fit DST's aethetics. They look like typical anime oversized extra dramatic weapons. Don't get me wrong they are very pretty but they won't blend very well with most of the current designs.

in the end i'm of the opinion that mods provide an experience that is different from the vision Klei wanted us to see with DST, whether small or vast. Even i see people dissenting that even small QoL mods like Combined Status and health info already subtract the game's intended difficulty and experience by presenting data players normally shouldn't know and remove the uncertainty that a player might face without knowing the said data.

That aside, mod usage is ultimately a valid, subjective practice considering the context of having a good time with your mates. (There are exceptions, of course, like the infamous Forge scripts, but i'll not get into detail.)

I won't say I don't play with mods, because I do. But the ones I play with are VERY selective. Basically, if you can tell I'm using a mod at a glance, and the mod isn't Geometric placement, then I probably consider it a cheat mod.

That extended hud people use all the time? Cheat mod. Adjusting boss health? Cheat mod. Showing boss health? Cheat mod. Extra equip slots? Cheat mod, big time.

There are currently three server-side non-character mods I have that I don't consider cheat mods.
- Global Pause: Because my PC takes 5 minutes to start a world and I don't want to shut down the server, pee, and wait 5 minutes to start playing again.
- Long pig: because it makes sense for most characters and I'm slightly annoyed it was dummied out JUST because people can't handle the idea of long pig in a survival game. Meat is meat, people!
- Webber's Shamlet mask: because literally all it's doing is adding Webber's Hamlet DLC item, which is official content, into DST.

Of those 3, the only one I actually use is Global Pause.

12 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

But why can't such "must have" modifications as "Extra equip slots" 

Mods like a "G10mmer" are just the future of the game and a further branch of technology..

You have to be joking, if this isn't troll bait I'm genuinely concerned.

First I want to point out the the last couple posts I've seen from you has gotten very negative feedback, do you not see how the majority of the community disagrees with almost everything you say? Extra equip slots should by no means ever be a part of the main game, it makes it incredibly more easy as things are balanced around have the current equip slots. You many like how it plays, so go ahead and use it as a MOD but do not complain about it not being base game.

G10MM-3R especially, this is Don't Starve Together not Oxygen Not Included, the most mechanical stuff we have is Winona's catapults and spotlights. This does not fit the direction Klei has intended for the game, while it might be a fun mod or even useful, that's exactly what it is, a mod.

I personally think you should stop complaining about the game not being how you like it as its like every other day you have something to say about how its not the game YOU wanted, mods are supposed to make it more fun for YOU but when you start trying to force mods not everyone wants to use on everyone else it just makes you look selfish and rather ignorant.

(I am not trying to belittle or be rude, I am just trying to express how you cannot seriously expect something like this to happen and to take a step back and re-read what you're saying and take everyone else's opinions (including Klei's) into account.)

7 hours ago, pedregales said:

I already mentioned those though: the ruins (dark place) I can see it being a big advantage (but not really that great/broken that it makes the game silly easy). But for weather seasons (weather clothing), it is not really that advantageous, as you can use:

• Headgear like tam o' shanter or beefalo hat (winter), eyebrella (summer and spring), fashion melon (summer), etc. and have a log armor/football helmet on the ready. And this is the least "efficient" setup IF you expect a fight, otherwise you are good to go.
  • Thermal stone (summer and winter) + football helmet (for those "distractions"). Add a lantern on hand for dark situations, and if you need to fight in the dark, drop the lantern on the floor. In case of spring, you could also use an umbrella for extra 90% rain protection (100% if using the football helmet); only during darkness-fighting would you be exposed to rain with this set-up.

The lack of a backpack slot is only a "detriment" for new players that know little to nothing of the game. But once you know enough of the game, it is more an annoyance than a "challenging" or "interesting" mechanic, because you are using it nearly 24/7 anyway, just dropping it in specific moments. If anything, adding a backpack slot might encourage the use of other body slot gear on long-term players. Or at least that is what I think of it.

Well you can use beefalo hat +bearger coat. If that isnt op...

Also with that you dont have to worry about where to drop the backpack. Most noobs will die because all his stuff will burn.

Spring makes the difference since only 1 player will have access to eyebrella in the 1st year (or 2 if klaus is killed) 

I get you point but i think having to drop the bag is way more balanced and interesting. I have play with a friend in his world that uses that mod and makes the game way simpler

19 hours ago, OrdoXenos said:

The Legion mod is the best I've ever seen in a game of this genre ..

I think that very few people would have thought of this ..

c94c531a1c3a3b5a2a14a679870d22a9.png

While I do concur [DST] Legion is a most beautiful mod with exquisite art (and interesting mechanics, mobs & bosses, objects/weapons, new farms, a lot of attention to its own pseudo-lore plus much more), not to mention the multi-staged builds (an example being the swords in your picture - homologous to Houndius shootius requiring 2 bosses loot-items to build, an aspect I for one would very much desire in more DST future weapon requirements), I don't think this mod-pack is the most detailed one to date in current DST Workshop. Or that it should be added in any shape or form to DST. Is fine as-is, a mod. And from what I've tested so far is also my favorite multi-mechanics/design/utility/fun mod-pack, quite in-tune with DST drawing style.

14 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I don't think any of these weapons really fit DST's aethetics. They look like typical anime oversized extra dramatic weapons. Don't get me wrong they are very pretty but they won't blend very well with most of the current designs.

Exactly so! Can you imagine if DST would add any "typical anime oversized extra dramatic weapons" to its base in any capacity?! Like a Guts' Dragon Slayer alike (latest?cb=20181108225308) huge sword? Or some Dragon God of Death Scythe (latest?cb=20181026081627)?! Pure insanity I tell ye, totally not in game's line :roll:

40 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

While I do concur [DST] Legion is a most beautiful mod with exquisite art, interesting mechanics, mobs & bosses, objects/weapons, new farms, a lot of attention to it own pseudo-lore plus much more, not to mention the multi-staged builds (an example being the swords in your picture - homologous to Houndius shootius requiring 2 bosses loot-items to build, an aspect I for one would very much desire in more future DST weapon requirements), I don't think this mod-pack is the most detailed one to date in current DST Workshop. Or that should it be added in any shape or form to DST. Is fine as-is, a mod. And from what I've tested so far is also my favorite multi-mechanics/design/utility/fun mod-pack, quite in-tune with DST drawing style.

Exactly so! Can you imagine if DST would add any "typical anime oversized extra dramatic weapons" to its base in any capacity?! Like a Guts' Dragon Slayer alike (latest?cb=20181108225308) huge sword? Or some Dragon God of Death Scythe (latest?cb=20181026081627)?! Pure insanity I tell ye, totally not in game's line :roll:

As per usual. No point you do can be made without a ton of extra UNNECESSARY sarcasm. As a person that once was on that side of the spectrum, let me tell you. It gets old very fast.

the difference between those and the mod ones isnn't really the size itself BUT the extra dramatic ornaments. DST aesthetics when it comes to weapons, they follow a CLEAR streamlined concept. Both those reskins aren't FULL of bunch of extra leaves, extra mini bats on the hilt, etc. If they are big then they go for slick.

If what that mod offers is your jam when it comes to aesthetics then that's all ok, but looking at all the weapons so far I don't think the concept is to turn DST characters carrying all oversized, hyper adorned weapons as in most JRPGs and therefore I don't see them getting any time soon as part of the vanilla experience.

37 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

As per usual. No point you do can be made without a ton of extra UNNECESSARY sarcasm. As a person that once was on that side of the spectrum, let me tell you. It gets old very fast.

the difference between those and the mod ones aren't really the size itself BUT the extra dramatic ornaments. DST aesthetics when it comes to weapons, they follow a CLEAR streamlined concept. Both those reskins aren't FULL of bunch of extra leaves, extra mini bats on the hilt, etc. If they are big then they go for slick.

If what that mod offers is your jam when it comes to aesthetics then that's all ok, but looking at all the weapons so far I don't think the concept is to turn DST characters carrying all oversized, hyper adorned weapons as in most JRPGs and therefore I don't see them getting any time soon as part of the vanilla experience.

I don't think you have tested the exemplified mod. Those extra-leaves are in fact the stage of a "planted" weapon in said mod. In that stage is actually a plant, regenerating. To be frank I don't like this bloom either, was added recently. Also those weapons seem to have been buffed, in past only Neverfade could be planted, as it was quite hard to obtain, RNG-based. Below is how they look in-game:

5d3320aea975786989.png5d33e2906e34511153.png5d33f34f301da38996.png5d33f819832b754279.png and "planted" version 5d33f517b4f5616005.png

They are a bit more detailed compared to basic vanilla DS weapons (not re-skins), yet not over-sized. Perhaps in OP's print-screens they may look to be overboard but as someone playing for a long time Legion mod-pack I assure you they aren't way-bigger than your standard DST spear.

To be more precise in my assessment, what I like so much about this mod is its plants mechanic, drops, RNG and how all these come together in creating an interesting weapon system (as stated, multi-staged builds). You have to experience yourself this aspect to understand better - no amount of keyboard smashing words would convey the experience. Likewise it might not be your cup of tea in the end - and reason why world-altering mods should remain in Workshop.

Ah, and sarcasm never gets old. The "unnecessary", "unsolicited" and "feelings" do ... do hit the proverbial fan that is ;)

22 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I believe item "reskins" are a mistake in every videogame and it's a slippery slope with no return. We've already reached this point a while ago.

I would Agree with you.. except in my experience skins give an otherwise boring item a unique and fun look.

Thats ALL A Battle Royale game is- that’s all you play for to unlock new skins..  I would have NEVER played Fortnite without finding out I can unlock a skin to play as Harley Quinn and run around the map with my reskinned Pickaxe gigantic Harley Mallet. The skin does nothing in terms of gameplay.. but it did increase my personal interest in the game by a large margin.

DS Hamlet literally just released the other day.. it has a new world with new mobs and new content, but instead of spending all my time in hamlet I’m instead playing DST to stockpile up on cosmetics to trade in when the odds of obtaining hallowed nights goodies go up.

See what I’m saying? the skins are what keeps everyone playing DST.. because I can promise you it’s not the updates- at this point in DSTs life cycle it should’ve had two Shipwrecked/Hamlet sized expansions..

I can’t be too hard on Klei though they probably had HUGE content plans for DST but 2020 has been a rough year on everyone, with Covid-19 slowing process’s down and all :( 

But for now it is debatable that whatever return of them is.. it hasn’t reached SW/Hamlet size expansion yet.

In the end: The profit Klei makes off these skins is ultimately what’s helping to fund development on the game.. so the more skins, the better off the game will become.

(I think..?)

I prefer to keep mods as mods, because I prefer optional content over mandatory content. Some mods are making game easier - for more casual players. Some mods are making game harder for hardcore players. Some serve as DLC and some are just little tweaks. That's why they are mods and not a "mandatory" game content. There are too different opinions what people think about mods and how game should look like, that is simply not possible to make everybody happy with permanently build in game mods. One day I may want to try Uncompromising, other day I may want to try Legion or Tropical Experience/Island Adventures, but I don't want these in base game.

Archived