What do you want for the next character?

I'm back to write a better message than I did last night lol

Mostly I have the same opinion as most people already here commenting, I would like to see a cave based or an ocean based character. For the cave I would think we should have a bunnyman character so we have all pigmen, merms, and bunnymen based characters. I would say maybe with a bunnyman character they would be good with farming? I mean most bunnymen live in houses shaped like carrots and they hate meat but it would  be a bit awkward to make the character vegetarian because that is Wurt's thing. If farming isn't a good option maybe the character could walk faster or something? Rabbits are usually compared with being pretty quick so if it had jussttt a tiny bit of a speed boost maybe that could be something interesting?

With the ocean character idea I love the idea of having another crab character that is possibly related to pearl in some way? The crab of course would be the best character for people who like sailing on the ocean. I would suggest with an ocean character maybe more things added to the ocean? I have only really seen most people complain about the ocean and the crab king boss and I think it would be awesome if we could change people's minds by adding content they would much rather enjoy. We don't need to remove anything of course because I know a lot of people who also love the ocean and sailing. 

Sorry if thats a lot 

4d21237942192184a4c8a57ab34fb2fa.gif

Lets not kid ourselves here, we all know who's coming as the next character and he's coming with a bang! Treasures of the oceans, riches of the ruins, none can hide from the grasp of this seasoned adventurer, big game hunter, philantropist, olympic game medalist pioneer. No monster will be able to hide and no mystery will stay unsolved when Warbucks sets his feet into the constant and his golden gaze on sweet discovery, as he brings his trusty Blunderbuss and unyielding rapier to the table, all hell will break lose in ten constants, which is the reason why the world of Hamlet let him out in the first place. Lets see what stand will Charlie be able to put up once the great voyager enhances his arsenal with the power provided by the Lunar beings.

1454886864_WarbucksinDST.thumb.png.a3dce07d211020c7a1f179e6ab697d49.png

(Artwork by Yorugami)

I can't with this... 

People, my dear fellow Don't Starve Together players... Please take a moment to listen...

NOT EVERY CREATURE IN THIS GAME NEEDS TO OR SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN REPRESENTATIVE CHARACTER.

Wurt and Webber is enough. Wormwood is a clever take on it. No more. Recycling the same idea of "Haha me friend with creature, we same kind, monkey stick together and be strong." is boring and bland.

I get that some of you are fellow furries, and I get that all of you have your own DST fursonas, but please. P l e a s e. 

This game has enough Webbers, it doesn't need more.

Thank you for listening... Or reading.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Smite has 100+ gods to choose from and they haven’t ran out of new ones to add yet- they may share similar abilities... but as long as they have something that makes them feel unique, different & fun.. they will keep adding new ones.

There is literally no logical reason why the rest of the single player DS dlc characters are not in DST... (Beyond development cost, and the developers time..) They each already have fans who actually want to play as them- and are eagerly awaiting the day they get added to DST.

I don’t see DST having as many playable characters as SMITE... but I also do not see a DST 2.... anytime soon, I’m looking at DST like its Klei’s version of GTA or Red Dead Online, or Minecraft, or Rainbow Six Siege- Aka... Games that do not NEED sequels because they continue to update the one that’s already out and keep it fresh rather than releasing a new installment every 1-2 years like in the old days of gaming.

Now if you picture DST as Klei’s version of GTA:O or Minecraft, you can start to piece together the puzzle and see where and how all the missing DS DLC characters, Plus Brand New Ones exclusive for DST- All start to fit into the game.

I could easily see a cast of 30-40 playable characters.. and as long as the game continues to expand and evolve and get content updates- Then I’m all for that.

Games like Smite and League have the development team to support multiple characters. Compared to an indie development team like Klei, they can afford to pump out multiple characters at a time.

Additionally, having multiple characters will lead to having dedicated communities for each main, and if said character doesn’t get enough spotlight (in terms of films, lore, or skins), then that specific community gets angsty, and Klei would feel pressured to satisfy the needs of all the character communities they have suddenly pumped out.

19 hours ago, HawtDawg said:

I posted a concept before that I actually still like a lot but,, I would be interested in an ocean based character (preferably a crab character??) As I've seen people don't like the ocean update at all and I think there should be more things added to it to make it more enjoyable and for people who like sailing they can have a character that is good at that kind of stuff. I dunno sorry if this seems like a lazy put together comment I am just about to sleep lol

I will maybe come back and explain this better if thats okay

They should just add the girl from shipwreck who can make a surfboard. But i 100% agree that the sea needs more stuff. I feel much better after the update but it needs more. :'0

34 minutes ago, QueenDarike said:

They should just add the girl from shipwreck who can make a surfboard. But i 100% agree that the sea needs more stuff. I feel much better after the update but it needs more. :'0

Seeing Walani in game would be awesome honestly, I would love to surf around in game. It sucks there isn't any waves in game for her :-(

I made this suggestion last july. I would love to have a character also that is entirely tied to the new ocean content. This character is basically  a mermaid (she can swim and interact with ocean content and she has a special items like a trident that comes with her), she has troubles walking in land (have to wear a special necklace) and afraid of fire. 

I feel like if real swimming was in game it wouldn't be able to swim very far unless you wanted to be attacked by something in the ocean because there is a lot of dangerous things in there that can attack you, sea based character or not. 

All I really want in a character if they decide to add another (which won't be for a long while, the gap between wurt and walter was big and we have enough characters as it is mostly) character is something to help them work with other players. A few characters suffer from only benefits to themself and they can't really do much in terms of teamwork. I think what we really need is reworks on characters that actually need it (no offense wigfrid, I am still interested to see what you will have) 

There doesn't need to be a Wilson rework ever because he is basically fine as he is, he is supposed to be a basic character and that is what he already is. 

On 9/15/2020 at 1:18 PM, Ogrecakes said:

having someone who could build up their own economy through various npc's and specific buildings could be a lot of fun if balanced correctly

I want a hamlet in dst so badly. SO BADLY. very badly. I hate megabasing. I hate it. There's no soul. I don't want every damn thing as a soul less farm. I want to be able to stop by the general store and buy a shovel from Pigford. I want to buy the McBunwich from Swinedonalds. And end my day with a nice hat from Boarfried to be the talk of town. 

I don't even care if it's not optimal. I care even less if it's downright broken. I just want a town. I want to make a town. Let me have a town.

If not Wilba, then Wilbo. 

I want a difficult character, like Maxwell and Warly, but also powerful, like Maxwell and Wickerbottom, and with fun to use abilities, like Maxwell and Warly. Most people don't like difficult characters, though, so they don't usually get added. But I can hope.

But other than hoping the next character is hard yet rewarding, I don't really have any particular opinions about what the character should be like. I don't care much what characters look, act, sound, or play like, because Klei always does great for at least most of those categories.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:15 AM, Owlrus said:

I mean, I feel like we've exhausted most of the creative pool with the characters we have now. Like if we were to add another character, what would they reasonably be able to do that another character already cannot?

The current characters already overlap. Wolfgang, Wendy, Wigfrid, Woodie, Webber, and WX are all fighters yet they remain fun to play despite similarities. Maxwell and Woodie are both gatherers yet remain different to eachother. You could strip off at least half if not more of the current roster for redundancy.

1 hour ago, HawtDawg said:

I feel like if real swimming was in game it wouldn't be able to swim very far unless you wanted to be attacked by something in the ocean because there is a lot of dangerous things in there that can attack you, sea based character or not. 

That's exactly why it would be balanced.

Also massive temperature loss.

There shouldn't be any new characters.

I believe Walter was supposed to be a DLC character, which meant that Klei stopped making the animal-esque characters.

Characters from DLCs shouldn't be moved over, atleast without major overhauls ( Walani sucks outside of shipwrecked itself, Wilbur would need to depend on ruins...)

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

she sucks in sw too xD

To be honest, that gives her a greater reason to be ported over. Warly got an overhaul when he came in. Give Walani her justice.

RoT is still being updated though, so maybe have her come in right before the conclusion of RoT so she can be made to capitalize on DST Ocean mechanics. (And make Wurt to not lose sanity while wet at the same time, please!)

7 hours ago, chirsg said:

I want a hamlet in dst so badly. SO BADLY. very badly. I hate megabasing. I hate it. There's no soul. I don't want every damn thing as a soul less farm. I want to be able to stop by the general store and buy a shovel from Pigford. I want to buy the McBunwich from Swinedonalds. And end my day with a nice hat from Boarfried to be the talk of town. 

I don't even care if it's not optimal. I care even less if it's downright broken. I just want a town. I want to make a town. Let me have a town.

If not Wilba, then Wilbo. 

Hamlet's base building kinda sucks tho.

Theres no good gameplay reason to build and expand, other than moving basic city assets to other locations.

i want klei to get its act together, google the definitions of 'more' and 'none' then fix worldgen XD if i say 'no berry bushes' i dont mean 'fifteen bushes please' and if i say 'more mc tusks' i dont mean '23402 toothed lads if i could, sirs'

EDIT;

ok, maybe not all staff. you cuties who do moderation are lovely(though maybe spend more time pulling on the ears of the coders for me, yeah?)

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

i want klei to get its act together, google the definitions of 'more' and 'none' then fix worldgen XD if i say 'no berry bushes' i dont mean 'fifteen bushes please' and if i say 'more mc tusks' i dont mean '23402 toothed lads if i could, sirs'

Spoiler

Completely off topic of rather or not they should add new characters- but for the most part I Agree... we should be able to toggle a Minimum-Maximum number of entities for the game that spawns.

For example: choosing between 0 to 100 McTusk camps (I always turn these off.. I hate ranged combat in DS.. it’s Awful) but by turning them off a Miss out on Tam’o’Shanter & Walking Canes.

Now having said that- Klei’s game is also incredibly broken.. another example I decided to set my worlds to have the shortest season lengths possible so I could experience the different seasons of content, without having to invest hours to get there.

But.. that also meant I also had Bearger and Deerclops spawning to wreck my face roughly every 6-7 game days. After so long it just stops being fun to deal with that.

And yes I can host those worlds without Bearger or Deerclops spawning... but why the heck can’t a toggle 5 Deerclops total for my world.. and then no more beyond that ever again?  

It’s simply... not balanced, Klei gives us this promising looking menu full of stuff we can toggle on and off, or more or less of... but by messing with those settings it makes no adjustments to the player- like say “Okay you choose randomize all weather” we won’t send Deerclops to come crash your base when your random weather ends up being Winter 3 days, Spring 4 days, Winter 1 day, Autumn 1 day, Winter again...

I hope that anyone who took the time to actually read this- Now understands why we need more world gen settings & control over all that & why I turn those bosses OFF when I choose “Random Season & Season Length” 

And now with that off topic spoiler rant out of the way.. (sorry just wanted to express my hatred towards infinite Deerclops spawns in such short time frames)

Back to the topic I feel like Klei being an Indie company isn’t really an excuse to NOT do more characters- looking at Klei’s games and the work they put into their games... they do more for their fans then Triple A multi-billion dollar companies do..

Don’t Starve has never been a game franchise about Balance so comparing its character reworks, to the likes of SMITE (a game that nerfs or buffs its characters frequently) isn’t really a fair comparison because Wolfgang is still the most OP thing ever all he needs to do is eat some Meatballs and then Superman punch his foes to Death with great ease.. and Wes is still the weakest thing ever- no matter how good you are at playing as him your still wasting through helmets and weapons at a less effective rate then if Any other character were using them.

I certainly wouldn’t call that “balanced” would you? My point is- Klei isn’t going to be continuously buffing or nerfing their characters like it’s SMITE... 

These Reworks have not been aimed at Buffing or Nerfing- but rather to make characters more unique, more interesting & more fun to play so they each have a distinct playstyle & don’t all feel exactly the same with a couple Increases/decreases to strength/health stats.

And just because a character shares a few similarities with another character should NOT mean that they shouldn’t be added to the game.. 

Wortox has Wheelers Dodge ability & Walter has a more effective, more useful version of her Pewmatic gadget... does that mean that we don’t need Wheeler at all?

No... it doesn’t because Wheeler still had her unique perks- and she still has the Navigadget... And as much as Klei likes to make this game more accessible to new players-

Craftable Navigadgets that she could give to other players to give them a literal waypoint arrow to “find useful stuffs” is EXACTLY the kind of thing Newbie players like my Xbox friend truly needs..

Woodie can turn goose and scout over water quickly- do we even need Walani and her Surfboard?

The answer to that is Yes we do... Why? Because Goose Woodie can’t pick up loose items in the ocean.. like the Kelp to help Wurt quickly and effectively build the DIY Royality kit as early as possible. But you know who could?? Walani on her Surfboard

In short for Xbox and Playstation players- who do not have access to Mods and the extra hours of content that mods can provide, These New Characters... and these Character Reworks are a way for Klei to provide Xbox & Playstation players with new gameplay content, new character abilities, and more stuff to enjoy with their game- Without having to go buy a PC to download & enjoy the world of Mods.

These Reworks, the new Characters, the Return of Them Updates, and these fun Holiday events.. they add more content to the game for those of us who can not simply download a modded character.

Which means.... that if Wilson, Wes and Wolfgang DON’T get more fun unique gameplay with their refreshes... then they’ll just feel like wasted opportunities Klei had to play around with characters who are pretty much “Blank Canvas’s” at this point- With only Minor differences in stats and maybe a cheap gimmick of growing a beard.. nothing more nothing less.

The more characters and world content that Klei adds to the game- the more unique gameplay that people who play Vanilla DST (Vanilla meaning without Mods) will be able to play & Enjoy.

So there you have it folks, my opinion

(sorry if this turned into a TL:DR, but if you read it, Thanks for Reading!)

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And just because a character shares a few similarities with another character should NOT mean that they shouldn’t be added to the game.. 

Wortox has Wheelers Dodge ability & Walter has a more effective, more useful version of her Pewmatic gadget... does that mean that we don’t need Wheeler at all?

No... it doesn’t because Wheeler still had her unique perks- and she still has the Navigadget... And as much as Klei likes to make this game more accessible to new players-

Craftable Navigadgets that she could give to other players to give them a literal waypoint arrow to “find useful stuffs” is EXACTLY the kind of thing Newbie players like my Xbox friend truly needs..

Woodie can turn goose and scout over water quickly- do we even need Walani and her Surfboard?

The answer to that is Yes we do... Why? Because Goose Woodie can’t pick up loose items in the ocean.. like the Kelp to help Wurt quickly and effectively build the DIY Royality kit as early as possible. But you know who could?? Walani on her Surfboard

What you're describing here is what characters with similar abilities should be. It's okay for them to share similar abilities, so long as those similar abilities aren't the only selling point of the character and so similar to others that it makes them have the same role. I.E. Both Woodie and Walani could be good at ocean exploration, but Woodie is a jack-of-all-trades while Walani is specifically better at the ocean than Woodie while lacking his combat and beaver utility.

Webber and Wendy are both good at Spider farming, but Webber is good for literally living off of and among spiders and Wendy is good for murdering Bee Queen on day 5 farming group mobs in general rather than just spiders.

And on the "more" and "lots" thing... yeeahhh I agree with that, too. The one time I decided to try it out and set tumbleweeds to "more", it started spawning tumbleweeds all over the world. That is not what I meant by more...

just a human character i think we have enough non-human characters. (wurt is just an upgraded webber and its not really unique and well put out i was so disappointed with her release if they are gonna bring in new mechanics like wortox i am fine with it but i just dont want another mob based character like a bunny character or a rock lobster character i think they are really boring webber was enough)

Archived