Do you want a caves update?

Do you want a caves update?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want new content in caves?

• Yes, of course.
    • NOPE NOPE NOPE
    • I don't care, I'm here just to see the poll.

All the new content (I think) it was for the surface: ocean, islands, new items, new mobs, new bosses, Crabby... making travel more interesting, but nothing for the caves. I already know that's the new content is focused on the ocean, but I think that caves maybe need a little update too (lunar cave, crystal lobster, lunar light crystals, geodes, clues about the ancients...). I don't know if I'm the only one who think like that.

What do you want to be added to the caves?

925a512d7f28869447feb8ac79a40843.thumb.jpg.21c3a5b1e8ce4dc90a05784c4117f4e4.jpgcave.png.471291a8c6085da2e47a7701596a8cd5.png

While I would LOVE a cave update, sadly, I feel like the klei team's eyes are on the moon right now; however, mods have the capability to provide what is missing in the caves, whether they are out yet or not, that's another story....

As for what I would want? More interesting locals (biomes) probably, and more things to differentiate the seasons underground that are different from temperature or rain chance.

This is a tricky subject to discuss with no proper answer- Some people want updates with new content (I do too) but at the same exact time- Some people enjoy the game as it is... and adding newer, harder or even mildly more frustrating content into familiar biomes is quite literally...

Taking the product they bought and enjoyed as it was, and then changing that product into something unrecognizable to them- These changes could go either way, people may love them... or Worst case scenario- It makes the game they bought and enjoyed no longer playable to them, either through means of the games content becoming too difficult/annoying, OR by the added content making the game literally no longer playable on the players outdated hardware.

I would want new content but I would want that new content tucked away into its own little area, such as the Lunar Cave you are suggesting could be accessed only by traveling to Pearls Hermit Island and then using a special tool (probably something you’ll craft from the Celestial Altar) and then Unplugging her plugged sinkholes.

This at least solves ONE issue of familiar biomes becoming too hard for people who enjoyed the game pre-RoT content.. but as far as updating already existing biomes with new content- unless that content is optional or can be toggled on/off...

You stand the chance of making the game unenjoyable for people who purchased it for what it once was.

Caves needs an update, but not only that : a rework of existing biomes.

The underworld is huge, like, twice bigger than the surface, 20 biomes at the surface, for 38 in caves, but half aren't worth exploiting.

Biggest issue imo are the sinkhole biomes, it's maybe one of the easiest to use for base building in caves as it have surface light during the day, but they're mostly located at the map edges after cave exits. When you build at the surface, you look for map navigation efficiency before you actually start building, wormholes, boss setpieces, all the useful things that are around... You can't do this for caves with sinkhole biomes, so the best to go for in the mud one which is located at the center.

Caves would be much better if sinkholes were connected to the center as well, it's how I've been using them for a long time now. It makes navigation to other biomes much easier as you are at the center of everything and you have an extra useful exit hub to do the save with the surface. Really changed a lot my cave-game experience :

2.thumb.jpg.f5307e556aa1fe46cbec60001fcfa235.jpg

For the rest, I guess it's up to Klei to make caves more interesting, but as Hornete said, caves will (probably) not move an inch during RoT. We should wait for the next game chapter if anything is planned.

I'd much rather they focused on a ''ruins 2.0'' update, with a new area that rivals the ruins. Not just an endgame raid boss in some random biome, but a new area with a new resource, craftables with said resource on the same level of ruins items, with appropriate dangers and unique mechanics that the ruins has.

Back when the game first came out, the ruins was quite an experience. You mastered living on the surface, you survived a year, all that good stuff....then you try out the ruins and it was a tense and scary experience, but the loot was awesome and the accomplishment you felt from escaping alive was immense.  Sure, the ruins aren't nearly as scary today, 5 years later, but it was such a great area.

Fast foward to the current year, we have a ruins-like biome where you fight a new endgame boss. We have tough raid bosses in different areas of the map that test our skill, sure, but nothing like the ruins.  The Volcano in Shipwrecked was just a breeding ground for free turf, coffee, and elephant cacti.  The Aporkalypse in Hamlet sounded promising but it was just a long list of annoyances that you flat out don't want, and one really cool boss with a nice armor and that was it...

DS has never made an area comparable to the ruins. imo the Caves are fine as they are, they already had their update...they're way better than the Singleplayer caves imo and linking the ruins to the Caves layer was a much better outcome than how it is in Singleplayer. I think what we really need is a new end-game area comparable to the ruins, and that area belongs either on the surface, or the bottom of the sea.  Perhaps a caves system that you can only access from a Lunar Island sinkhole(but on the same server as the Caves I guess since adding another server is too stressful, or something).

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Just smaller and sharing the same floor as other biomes instead of having his own floor deeper

Not Only

Together ruins are much much smaller

There are no "pure" biomes, only chained "squares"

In together ruins have two branches, one to Ancient Pseudoscience Station, second to Minotaur

Together has Atrium which is harder version of maze.

And most important, In RoG player must pass the maze to reach Ancient Station on sacred biome. In together Station is in "corridor"

I think the only thing I want from the caves is a clearer purpose. I feel like, aside from the bosses, the ruins and the few items you can't get above world, caves aren't really useful for much else. In terms of risk versus reward, you're better off playing without them.

I would like to see some more uses implemented, cave specific crock pot recipes, some more cave specific mobs. I feel like the caves mobs are more of a reskin for mobs above world. Bunnymen instead of Pigmen, Cave spiders instead of regular spiders, etc. There aren't that many unique mobs.

Just really looking for the little things that sets the caves apart from the overworld. 

9 minutes ago, SnowdropPax said:

I think the only thing I want from the caves is a clearer purpose. I feel like, aside from the bosses, the ruins and the few items you can't get above world, caves aren't really useful for much else. In terms of risk versus reward, you're better off playing without them.

I would like to see some more uses implemented, cave specific crock pot recipes, some more cave specific mobs. I feel like the caves mobs are more of a reskin for mobs above world. Bunnymen instead of Pigmen, Cave spiders instead of regular spiders, etc. There aren't that many unique mobs.

Just really looking for the little things that sets the caves apart from the overworld. 

may i politely disagree? caves are a wonderful set of parameters on their own and can be a wonderfully divergent sort of world if you are willing to go into your settings and change a couple things from the default settings. in truth i greatly enjoy the fact that with lightbulbs and mushroom trees cranked up(and grass/twigs removed entirely) you can get very pretty biomes with a very different tone(both in looks and feel) to the overworld

also bunnymen are only like pigmen in that they are one to a house and they can fight X''D as far as temperament and function go they are pretty separate. pigs don't mind what i carry on my persona and eat all the loot, they also are limited in how hard they hit while bunnies take advantage of a strong bite and quick speed

12 hours ago, gaymime said:

may i politely disagree? caves are a wonderful set of parameters on their own and can be a wonderfully divergent sort of world if you are willing to go into your settings and change a couple things from the default settings. in truth i greatly enjoy the fact that with lightbulbs and mushroom trees cranked up(and grass/twigs removed entirely) you can get very pretty biomes with a very different tone(both in looks and feel) to the overworld

also bunnymen are only like pigmen in that they are one to a house and they can fight X''D as far as temperament and function go they are pretty separate. pigs don't mind what i carry on my persona and eat all the loot, they also are limited in how hard they hit while bunnies take advantage of a strong bite and quick speed

Fair enough,I see your point. I think it all depends on your skill level. I'm still learning how things work, so I probably don't realize how diverse the caves are yet.

5 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

Fair enough,I see your point. I think it all depends on your skill level. I'm still learning how things work, so I probably don't realize how diverse the caves are yet.

it is ok<3 we are all at different stages and different playstyles, you know? i still have a lot to learn as well ^^

On 9/8/2020 at 6:38 PM, maciu67 said:

And most important, In RoG player must pass the maze to reach Ancient Station on sacred biome. In together Station is in "corridor"

Not really. In RoG you can get some ancient stations on military area, just you'll need some thulecite to fix them. So, you don't need to pass anything, maybe except few mobs. But I still agree about that, the ruins area in Together is so small and don't really feel like a proper biome...

Hoo-rah! It would be nice to have lunar caves! Survivors will have to battle Enlightnenment underground! In the recesses of the moon, the sun cannot purify lunar magic. Instead of deathly darkness, survivors must use shadow torches to keep the blinding light at bay!

5 hours ago, Blu_Ni said:

Hoo-rah! It would be nice to have lunar caves! Survivors will have to battle Enlightnenment underground! In the recesses of the moon, the sun cannot purify lunar magic. Instead of deathly darkness, survivors must use shadow torches to keep the blinding light at bay!

The idea of both darkness and light needing the players to hold something to balance it is great! Maybe the final boss would be a battle between the two or something.

Archived