Beta Update: Troubled Waters

13 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

The new shark looks so badass!I like him!

dst's artistic style always fascinates me.;)

Imagine if someone mods the robot shark from James and the Giant Peach with the mechanics of the new shark?

• Like 3

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the new sharks are the only thing (Aside from characters and Lucy the axe) that has an instrument sound.

Birds-bird sounds  Catcoons-cat sounds Mandrakes-*SCREAMING* ect ect.

Spoiler

Although this is probably just a coincidence/because they wanted to make it do the classic shark ba bum baaaa buuuum babumbabum.

Think about it.

Edited by TheHollowKnight
  • Like 3

idk if there's any of the developer will see this post, but I am going to ask if this is a typo or something intended.

This is a screenshot from the new ocean horror's script:

image.png.419eb4d7791ee2cf9e39fcfd3ad8632c.png

which it currently has 300 hp.

This is ocean horror's data sets according to the tuning.lua:

image.png.dcaf591fdae639717132d4f4b3abd431.png

which it should has 400 hp

Is it a typo or it's for testing purposes?

I'm glad to have some help with structures and spacing on boat.  Sails are 0 space structures, so building a lightning rod and light source (both must-haves for boating) into the sail is a great solution!  That's basically +2 structure capacity on boats now!  I'm very happy with this.

Any reason I'd use a water pump over a flingomatic?  Is the water pump just an early game version of flingo?

Are barnacle nagiri just sea perogies?

I haven't had a chance to do anything but read this thread.  I'll have to play with the beta tonight !

edit: I wonder if we could get a glowcap variant of the illuminator.  Something that could take a few lightbulbs for a season of light would be nice!  As it is, I would probably still want to fit a glowcap on my boat for super persistent light.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 8

There is no problem with the operating mechanism of the boss itself.

ROT's boss problem is that the practicality of their loot is not enough in the current version.Maybe Klei should make them more practical.

But if they bring a new operating mechanism to the future boss, I will also like it.

It will be interesting if the future sea shells can be used to make weapons or tools or equipment in addition to playing music.

Thank you Mr. Jason and other developers on the team for hard work. respect.

Edited by Pikapikap
  • Like 7

Let's not forget that we can build masts on the ground. The design potential with the new upgrades is massive. We got non-permanent lamps and lightning focused flags!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Any reason I'd use a water pump over a flingomatic?  Is the water pump just an early game version of flingo?

Same reason you'd use the mast upgrades over a firepit and a lightning rod: it takes up almost 0 space.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Same reason you'd use the mast upgrades over a firepit and a lightning rod: it takes up almost 0 space.

Also, deck illuminator upgrade can't be put out like firepits by those damned spittlefish.

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys but in my experience this Wavey Jones is pretty annoying. He appears every night regardless of weather there's a fire or not, it's a pain to get rid of him, and even if you get rid of him he just spawns back instantly in another spot. As for his actions... the messing with the navigation stuff I think is decent, since those aren't necessarily instant death, but the tearing open of boat patches (unsure if he actually makes new holes, but I think he has done it once) basically screws you over if you run out of patches (which in my experience is very common, I just build a few and try not to get into anything too destructive).  If he's supposed to be the water equivalent of those hands then I think he should be just as easy to get rid of and less of a death sentence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dr0Shadow said:

He appears every night regardless of weather there's a fire or not, it's a pain to get rid of him, and even if you get rid of him he just spawns back instantly in another spot.

Might be a bug, you might want to report.

• Like 1

Yo, it’s 4:35am I should be in bed but I gotta ask- With an update called Troubled Waters, some new hostile ocean mobs.. and a Thing called Wavey Jones, which is a cute spin off the pirate term Davey Jones Locker.. What are the odds that we will get some pirate themed skins or belongings or playable characters with this update?

The TL:DR- Walani and Woodlegs Please <3 (or Maybe just Walani..)

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 1

Leafy Meat got 1.0 meat value, both raw and cooked. Bad news is that you won't be able to make Meaty Stews out of it only, because 2 or more units of leafy meat will always result in Leafy Loaf which restores exactly as much as two cooked leafy meats - 37.5 hunger due to higher priority and lack of filler restrictions. Good news is Leaf Loaf itself isn't too bad and is probably the most useful leafy meat recipe, as it has long shelf life of 20 days and allows inedibles (twigs) as filler. It takes 40 seconds to cook so expect to have to wait for it. Also, 1 leafy meat can replace 1 regular meat in all crock pot recipes, as it has exactly the same 1 meat value and no other values like fish or monster to result in other recipes.

Somehow Leafy Loaf lasts longer than Leafy Meat Souffle which requires 1 leafy meat (raw or cooked) and 1 sweetener (honey). No filler restrictions so feel free to put 2 twigs. Usually you'd expect honeyed foods to last longer, but this is not the case as this one lasts just 6 days. It restores 37.5 hunger and 50 sanity. Yes, 50 sanity. That's new ice cream for you. Ice Cream that you can make if you live in the caves, as both honey and leafy meat can be produced there. Honestly, I'd have considered it to be the best food you can make out of leafy meat since 1 honey is easier to get than 1 leafy meat, but 6 days are way worse than 20 days. That's not something I'd carry around if I'm out of the base for long time.

Meaty Salad goes third is terms of usefulness. It requires 1 raw or cooked leafy meat and vegetables with total value equal or more than 3. Vegetable requirement basically means that you can only make this recipe with vegetables of 1.0 vegetable value. Counting farms crops out, this leaves you with cacti, carrots, stone fruit and lichen as vegetables. Doesn't sound like being too much of restriction, but it also means you won't be able to make it with plentiful mushrooms or kelps which have 0.5 vegetable value. It restores 40 health and 75 hunger, but only lasts 6 days. With these stats I can only see myself using it in ruins with lichen to quickly restore both lost health and hunger OR restore my hunger more efficiently if I (happened to be low on leafy meat AND having some extra 1.0 vegetables AND not having honey to make Leafy Meat Souffle). The latter complex condition is extremely unlikely. Otherwise I'll just stick to meatballs.

Leafy Meat Burger is the worst, having toughest requirements with lowest outcome. It requires 1 raw or cooked leafy meat, 1 raw or cooked onion, vegetables of total value equal or more than 2 (onion itself adds 1 vegetables value so you can use 2x 0.5 vegetables to reach 2 vegetable value). It restores 30 health, 33 sanity and 37.5 hunger and lasts just 6 days. However, considering that onions can't be found in the wild and can only be obtained via farms, I don't think someone will ever make this recipe - especially when other leafy meat recipes are much better. Leafy Meat Burger reminds me of Unagi in this aspect.

I didn't look at Barnacle recipes yet since I don't know how hard to obtain these are. I also didn't mention sanity or health value if these were too small (<10 points)

Edited by shadowDigga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3