Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

GetNerfedOn

[Poll] On Hamlet Mechanics Added To DST

THOU LACKETH OINCS  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Hamlet mechanics added to DST?

2. 2. Which mechanics specifically?

• Interiors
    • New Pig Villages
    • Hamlet mobs like the Scorpion
    • an actual economy/currency system for either pigs or Wurt's merms
    • existing boss mechanics like the hulk's assembly, the Pugilisk's weak spot, Mant Queen's scream, etc
    • other existing mechanics like fog, Poison and Hayfever
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If yes, why?

• Hamlet content adds lots of useful stuff to DST!
    • Hamlet content is cool to look at!
    • Hamlet content could make DST more harder yet more rewarding!
    • Hamlet content could add more lore!
    • Hamlet content could add more depth to existing gameplay!
    • I voted No!
    • I voted "I'm undecided."
  4. 4. And if no, why?

• Hamlet content adds lots of redundant content to DST!
    • Hamlet content doesn't fit DST's aesthetic!
    • Hamlet content could make DST too easy!
    • Hamlet content could throw a wrench into DST's lore!
    • Hamlet content could break existing gameplay!
    • I voted yes!
    • I voted "I'm undecided."

GetNerfedOn    5885

We've seen a new era come upon DST with the addition of long-coveted Shipwrecked sailing mechanics. They brought an entirely new dimension of gameplay (though still hotly debated as optional content overall) which changed so many aspects of DST as we know it

Now imagine... What if Hamlet's mechanics were next added into DST? Would it change DST for better or for worse?

As always, answer freely and of your own will, and feel free to discuss in the comments!

Mike23Ua    6603

As long as that content is off on a distant land and isn’t just thrown onto the beginner islands making the game harder on newbie players.. I feel as if it will be okay.

(or maybe introduce them in a harder difficulty setting, just don’t go and change the Vanilla experience cause it’s hard enough for those people already.)

I would like to see Sickly Biomes, Dangerous poisonous mobs, Hostile Mobs spawning from chopped down trees, Tall Grass (which can’t be plucked by hand and needs to be chopped first) all this stuff adds up to make for a harder game.. Something DST is Severely lacking in.

Everytime I chop a Tree in SW or Hamlet I’m terrified a Coconuts gonna konk me on the head or a snake/scorpion is going to spawn! 

Lumberlocke    1068

More living plant-life, new environments, and new mechanics from Hamlet would really add a ton of depth to DST, I feel. Fog would be a really cool random atmospheric event!

Mike23Ua    6603

Instead of porting SW/Ham Content into DST (And Thus killing sales of those expansions) they should instead make those expansions compatible with DST.

Its a Pipeline Dream but see- when I play Solo DS.. I can choose to toggle which VERSION of Solo DS to check on (Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked or Hamlet) And I cant help myself but to think that DST could work in the same exact way.. you wouldn’t have to worry about Hamlet content clashing with Return of Them Content because to even access it you need to check on/off rather your playing DST, or DST: Hamlet Edition.

Which determines rather or not your world spawn vanilla DS Biomes, or Hamlet Biomes.. And as far as separating who owns DLC and who does not the Solution to that is identical to Minecraft- Only the HOST needs to own the DLC add-on’s, And ANYONE Regardless of if they own the DLC or Not.. can join and play as long as the host owns it- All it takes is a few seconds or minutes longer of “Downloading DLC Assets” and your good to go!

Also- Please do keep in mind that me asking for this does not do ANYTHING that A PC Mod doesn’t already do..

Mike23Ua    6603
2 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Those are already dead.

Not for Xbox it’s not- Hamlets Birthday is officially 2 Days ago.

NSAiswatchingus    3318
1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Hamlets version of the economy is more tedious than my actual job.

It would need tweaks, but I can personally attest to players enjoying shops and economy features in DST. I don't actually expect any of that to come to DST, but it definitely works. 

Ornge    372

House building could be fun. Sure its an easy way to avoid darkness and other threats, but if you have to do some difficult tasks to unlock it than im all for it

ArubaroBeefalo    3760

i would like the variety of mobs atacks and interesting weather effects but i think bringing economy and interiors will break the balance of the game like actually happens in hamlet

Mike23Ua    6603
11 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

It would need tweaks, but I can personally attest to players enjoying shops and economy features in DST. I don't actually expect any of that to come to DST, but it definitely works. 

I’m more of a Survival type player myself.. while I wouldn’t mind having a single home like Hamlet to put all my stuff and not worry about other players burning or stealing.. there are obviously problems that arise from having that- because what would prevent someone from taking your stuff in their house and you can’t get it back?

Mainly when I said I wanted SW/Ham compatibility I wanted the harder biomes, more dangerous mobs, trapped temples, & all the playable characters, Not exactly Pigman civilization & Shops.

CeeJaylxZ    12

I feel like if Pigs can have a village, why can't the survivors? I would like the concept of have an actual house, cabin, camp, fort, etc... just make it so there are other obstacles, and dangers that exist i.e. (If you hide in a house, you risk that house/home being destroyed from mobs) As far as darkness, it should still affect inside of homes; unlike in Hamlet. You need either a torch or a campfire... or perhaps a new structure such as a lamp. But you still need fuel.

Moonatik    353

Wow, scorpions are almost the 1st wish. I'm not against, but there's clearly better to add before that.

Pig village with shops on a new island would be good. Add some quests.

Interiors leads to many, many things in my opinion. If I'm correct, ruins in Hamlet are technically interiors right ? If so, I think we're all waiting for little dungeons. Then houses, but houses... Weird but I'm not sure as I could be for interior cabin for boat, as someone suggest on the Trash Sailors thread.

emin61    743

image.png.2cf1f016d63218eee80113a131d9060b.png

image.png.b8d6a669fe9338c8c6bea53318b931f3.png

image.png.438c82f6a3f19ab45bcd58eb5f547a65.png

as a veteran and my opinion, dst needs a challange. on the beginning everyone struggles, but if you understand everything there is less challange in the game except doing absurd boss mechanic fights such as: fiery dragonfly, iridescent gem and pearls pearl crabking, deer-less klaus. but that manure aint even worth the loot except for bragging rights.

kiwikenobi    1098

I feel like Hamlet should stay its own separate thing. Having elements of it in DST feels like it would take away from both of them by making them less unique. Unless it was just Hamlet with multiplayer, without all of the regular DST stuff, like in a special kind of separate Hamlet server that doesn't connect to the regular DST worlds. That would be kind of cool. Same for Shipwrecked. But trying to include all of the RoG stuff, and all of the RoT stuff, and Shipwrecked stuff, AND Hamlet stuff on top of it feels like too much going on at once. At least, that's how it feels to me.

I’d love to get houses and towns, but I think it might be best in an optional game mode when generating the world. I really enjoyed having a house that I could decorate, and a town I could build in Hamlet, and would LOVE to make a town with friends. I just think it should be it’s own thing, rather than turning the base game into Hamlet. 

Baguettes    78

If the aporkalypse exists and it's more complicated to turn off (because multiplayer), then I'll go for a big no-no. I don't have much Hamlet knowledge myself. Pig shops, biomes, mobs and other mechanics on the other hand, are fine by me.

jpmrocks    188

After playing a lot more Hamlet recently, a few things:

Summer Sandstorms are almost identical to Humid's Fog. I'd like more options to combat sandstorms. Other things, like the traps in Pig Ruins are awful, dart traps can just randomly activate. Finally, player houses would not work in DST, due to house the houses work.

However, things like the in depth jungles would be great, as well as the associated hostile plant life. Cork could add a lot more depth to some things, and bring over recipes. I'd personally would love to see Elder mandrake villages in caves. The big thing for me though would be iron and metalurgy. That genuinely revolutionizes everything, and iron nodes being found in the caves (or even the surface) would be amazing. Iron would bring the more complex metal armor and weapons, and the blunderbuss, being a huge change to combat. Sprinklers and oscillating fans can be added, allowing for more summertime survival, as well as a way to have plants grow faster. It also be used in exclusive recipes for Winona and WX, allowing special new things to be done.

Other things, the bramble chest would be amazing to have, allowing players to have their own enderchest inventories. Stalking stick would an amazing thing to have as well. Finally, a currency of sometime that allows players to give things actual value would just be great to have.

Russian_Philin    10971

image.png.751733a9993d57869210499e9af72d10.png
I don't know, but I like the idea of building a pig civilization. I like the fact that each of the pigs has its own use and they can be something useful.
Ordinary pigs at this point, finding out that I don't like them:
image.png.cd98d42d021c1670df0df86132103ad9.png

ArubaroBeefalo    3760

Another thing that i loved from hamlet is how some mobs evolves like flytraps and ladybugs. Both are awesome mechanics and i would like to see some mobs inspired by this

But as i said in other post i prefer to have mobs, mechanics, etc inspired or resking from hamlet that actually port hamlet to dst. If they port the dlc to dst i will have less reasons to enjoy single player (which is a really fun experience (and long... imagine surviving and gathering 3 worlds with the possibility of use teleportato))

Scrimbles    3347

Mobs, seasonal challenges, and boss mechanics is all that should be added.

Interiors, cities, and economies ruin some of the core design of Don't Starve, it was only acceptable as a side DLC that was disconnected from everything else.

Well-met    3147
1 minute ago, Ogrecakes said:

Mobs, seasonal challenges, and boss mechanics is all that should be added.

Interiors, cities, and economies ruin some of the core design of Don't Starve, it was only acceptable as a side DLC that was disconnected from everything else.

what about the rad items like the halberd and blunderbuss