[Poll] On Hamlet Mechanics Added To DST

THOU LACKETH OINCS  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Hamlet mechanics added to DST?

2. 2. Which mechanics specifically?

• Interiors
    • New Pig Villages
    • Hamlet mobs like the Scorpion
    • an actual economy/currency system for either pigs or Wurt's merms
    • existing boss mechanics like the hulk's assembly, the Pugilisk's weak spot, Mant Queen's scream, etc
    • other existing mechanics like fog, Poison and Hayfever
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If yes, why?

• Hamlet content adds lots of useful stuff to DST!
    • Hamlet content is cool to look at!
    • Hamlet content could make DST more harder yet more rewarding!
    • Hamlet content could add more lore!
    • Hamlet content could add more depth to existing gameplay!
    • I voted No!
    • I voted "I'm undecided."
  4. 4. And if no, why?

• Hamlet content adds lots of redundant content to DST!
    • Hamlet content doesn't fit DST's aesthetic!
    • Hamlet content could make DST too easy!
    • Hamlet content could throw a wrench into DST's lore!
    • Hamlet content could break existing gameplay!
    • I voted yes!
    • I voted "I'm undecided."

17 minutes ago, Well-met said:

what about the rad items like the halberd and blunderbuss

Smelting iron, and crafting halberds and blunderbuss's(?) almost felt too clean compared to everything else you can make in Don't Starve.

Most items in the vanilla game are usually pretty crappy looking, staffs and spears are all crooked, armor is just a bunch of slabs held together with rope, having a perfect looking high quality polished Halberd doesn't really fit in with that,

I'm sure there are specific examples that go against my point, but I would say at least 90% of the craftable items in Don't Starve follow the "shabby looking" rule.

Again though, disconnected DLC.

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Smelting iron, and crafting halberds and blunderbuss's(?) almost felt too clean compared to everything else you can make in Don't Starve.

Most items in the vanilla game are usually pretty crappy looking, staffs and spears are all crooked, armor is just a bunch of slabs held together with rope, having a perfect looking high quality polished Halberd doesn't really fit in with that,

I'm sure there are specific examples that go against my point, but I would say at least 90% of the craftable items in Don't Starve follow the "shabby looking" rule.

well, I just look at the strident trident and it literally looks like a worse pitchfork and I don't feel it benefits the feel of the game. If anything it makes me want to use it less.

plus think of all the weapon skins. is a hockey stick fire staff really that much more believable? Or all the forge stuff?

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

well, I just look at the strident trident and it literally looks like a worse pitchfork and I don't feel it benefits the feel of the game. If anything it makes me want to use it less.

plus think of all the weapon skins. is a hockey stick fire staff really that much more believable? Or all the forge stuff?

Don't use skins as an argument, they are designed to make money, of course they aren't going to look as shabby.

It's would be cool if they add hamlet LIKE stuff. I don't they copy paste hamlet things to DST. They can add dungeons but dungeons should not be forest typed like in hamlet. It can look ruins. It's would be extremely funny to having random created puzzles like "last move of xox" or "lost puzzle pieces".

Also pigs would be great but I don't want ultra lux pigs with fancy clothes. They would be cool have some primitive clothes and have a basic economy like using shells or swap barting. I'm planning making a mod like that in future. I even draw a few ideas. But klei should limit shopping. It's would not make sense to buying dark sword with selling golds. They can sell stones, logs and a awful soap ect.  relevant their job.

IMG_20200602_110226.thumb.JPG.e89d474489b01c56ea510b6b60b29a73.JPG

Housing system like hamlet is awful idea. It's killing all survival feel.

Mobs are not suitable for DST world I thing. They are tropical animals. Maybe a few color and sketches would fix it. It's would be cool to see a wandering black scorpion on desert.

And bosses are welcome every time. But their style don't fit dst.

2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

I feel metalurgy is the next big step in Dont Starve's core. Adding a new type of crafting that brings about special tools and higher durability combat.

Hamlet takes place in the skies above Shipwrecked and Vanilla DS, It wouldn’t make sense to be able to just GO There.. Shipwrecked on the other hand.. could be Islands out in the Ocean Somewhere.

However- Adding Shipwrecked Style boats or even Hamlet content into DST piled on top of what Klei is Already doing with Return of Them.. would probably break things they have planned with Return of Them.. But- I see it Identical to playing Dont Starve SOLO.... As In- Before you can even spawn into the world you have to toggle which VERSION of the game you want to play in- Reign Of Giants, Shipwrecked or Hamlet.

I don’t see why DST couldn’t be the Same way.. if we ever got full DLC Compatibility that is- And yes I’m fully aware that those DLC packs were never designed for 6+ players (Xbox is limited to 6 so let’s just stick to 6..) But I am pretty sure they could AT LEAST add 2-3 Player functionality to the Expansions.

As far as just throwing Hamlet content Wildly into the oceans of DST?? It wouldn’t make sense since by LORE Hamlet is in the sky Above DS/SW... Unless well I Suppose ANYTHING is Possible...

Klei did bring a chunk of the MOON down after all. ;) 

1 hour ago, jpmrocks said:

I feel metalurgy is the next big step in Dont Starve's core. Adding a new type of crafting that brings about special tools and higher durability combat.

The closer the world of Don't Stsrve gets to being civilized, tamed, and technologically progressed considering the capabilities of the people there, the worse.

4 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

The closer the world of Don't Stsrve gets to being civilized, tamed, and technologically progressed considering the capabilities of the people there, the worse.

Lore wise, its repeating the cycle of the Constant, but okay.

There are ALOT of gameplay mechanics in Hamlet that could go a long way to making DST feel fresh with new content & make the game challenging again.

I will provide a few examples-

Weevole-a Small little insect mobs that when you attack them will burrow into the ground and then re-emerge elsewhere 

Pangolden- These little dudes I find to be unique, not because they poop gold... but rather because they can use their Ant-Eater like tongues to slurp up nearby ponds.. instead of just having the Oasis being a static thing In a specific spot.. Pangolden ensures that they get drunk up and moved about the map.

Tall Grass- Something I would Particularly like to see in a Harder Difficulty setting that turns almost ALL grass into this form, and requires using a tool to harvest instead of just freely plucking by hand.

Thunderbirds- These guys act like close proximity land mines... the closer you move towards them they’ll start to puff up and then zap you with energy. 
(Why doesn’t Return of them have an At Sea Pufferfish version of this dude that instead of releasing electrical bolts, instead shoots off sharp spiny projectiles)

Poison Dart frogs who’s attacks inflict a Damage over time health bleed out effect.

Entire Biomes that are hazardous to step foot in without proper protection due to the air contamination.

Piko- Tiny little squirrels that climb up and down trees they’re adorable and aren’t just cosmetic When chopping down a tree they will also Fall from the Trees and Eat the Seeds you would’ve needed to plant a new Tree with they can be killed for small morsels and if killed quickly enough- Seed recovery.

Gnat Swarms another mob that acts similar to thunderbird, these guys will latch onto your face and remain there until you find a way to remove them, When Gnats are in your face you also can not place a campfire structure even if you already had one pre-crafted (I found that out the Hard Way..) 

Chopping Trees can Often spawn a hostile enemy mob, unlike Treeguards who rarely ever spawn in DST.

The TL:DR- Hamlet is AWESOME!!!!! I just wish I could share in that awesome with at least one other friend :( 

Oh yeah and as a cherry on top Added Bonus- also there is THIS that could happen..

BFAACB89-2434-4924-B40C-14F23A6720DD.gif

I'd love to see the Pig's farm plots return, and perhaps even a primitive version of those for the Merms that only Wurt can harvest safely without being swarmed by Merms? 'cause canonically, I don't think merms should even be alive right now with nothing that suits their vegetarian diets out in the swamps...

(heck even biome refreshes would be awesome, new naturally growing crops, resources and entities?)

I don't want Hamlet biomes in DST unless it's a whole Hamlet Together world, same as Shipwrecked, because it's from a completely different climate and it makes no sense for a dense tropical rainforest to suddenly be half an hour's sailing from a temperate partially forested island that gets cold icy winters. It'd also be weird and inconsistent to have Hamlet resources appear in DST without bringing their whole biome along, like iron without the Painted biome, especially if they were crammed into a biome that's existed since vanilla DS. Hamlet mobs in DST biomes would be similarly weird, although reskins like the Vipers are to SW snakes might work. My dream for official Ham and SW multiplayer is for them to be server presets you can switch to, sacrificing Skyworthy/Seaworthy-based integration with the RoG Constant for the convenience of not having to run four server shards at the same time.

Having said that, it could be fun to have a DST boss with mechanics as complex as the Pugalisk, Mant Queen and co. Hopefully not something requiring split-second timing, though, since that won't be fun for players with bad ping. And now that poison's been in two different singleplayer expansion packs with lots of different ways to inflict it, it doesn't seem unreasonable that something in the new DST maritime biomes might be able to poison you.

I actually kind of agree that refining iron into steel in your kitchen is incongruously sophisticated technology for the survivors to build all by themselves with minimal magic, but it fits into Hamlet better than it would into DST, since there's a whole civilization around you in the former. Similarly, interiors would be really nice, and not even particularly implausible for the survivors to build (building a structurally sound house isn't that hard - even in DS itself, the pigs manage it!), but on the other hand having access to player houses would really change the way you go about wilderness survival unless you're the nomadic type, especially in winter or summer since while they might not give you full climate control they'd probably at least reduce the extremes, and adding another shard for them would be a burden on server hosts but coming up with a non-shard-based way to go between a house and the overworld would probably be a real headache to program. (Especially since now that the ocean makes the entire map accessible you can't use the hacky solution of putting the interior area on the same map but stuffed into a distant corner nobody can reach or see... though the caves don't have that problem and have lots of abyss space available.)

Yes but.. There’s a large Waterfall border preventing you from going any further then they want you to go.. I am pretty sure they can put stuff into the same sever shard on the surface- That you can’t see or just sail into.

Hamlet is a blend of Hamlet Mechanics, mixed with Shipwrecked Mechanics, lots of land to explore, a few large ponds to sail in. It works pretty well actually.

8 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

I'd love to see the Pig's farm plots return, and perhaps even a primitive version of those for the Merms that only Wurt can harvest safely without being swarmed by Merms? 'cause canonically, I don't think merms should even be alive right now with nothing that suits their vegetarian diets out in the swamps...

(heck even biome refreshes would be awesome, new naturally growing crops, resources and entities?)

Merms probably eat reeds, and grass should work too, it’s what hippos would eat and they are herbivores too.

I would appreciate some small gesture from other DLCs, however not core mechanics,such as currency, pig cities or houses since that is what defines Hamlet as a DLC.

Maybe Jungle biome or plants? Some equipment perhaps or mobs maybe. We shouldnt forget we already got Wormwood and he is Hamlet material so getting some other stuff is totally possible.

51 minutes ago, Brubs said:

I would appreciate some small gesture from other DLCs, however not core mechanics,such as currency, pig cities or houses since that is what defines Hamlet as a DLC.

Maybe Jungle biome or plants? Some equipment perhaps or mobs maybe. We shouldnt forget we already got Wormwood and he is Hamlet material so getting some other stuff is totally possible.

I want it to be less about “Getting” for FREE and more about simply making the dlcs I paid for playable in atleast 2 player coop play.

Only the host needs to own the DLC, anyone can join and play rather they own the DLC add-on themselves or not.. identical to how I can buy a dlc world for Minecraft and my friends can join me without having to also buy the dlc themselves, all it would take is a few extra minutes of “downloading DLC Assets” and your good to go, no separation between who owns and does not own DLC.

Its a win/win situation.. In the end though- it’s entirely up to what Klei wants to do and where they want to focus all their time and energy into.

But I do want it to be known that I NEVER wanted the DLC content to just be thrown into DST for free.. I simply wanted to be able to play the add-on’s I paid for already with a friend. :) 

i'd only want interiors tastefully added into dst and like...nothing else. I appreciate hamlet being this little weird slice of DS with it's own special stuff and it's own bits of lore. Adding it to DST without making like an entire different world type akin to island adventures SW Only mode would be really, really offputting and strange.

I'd like it if like, a version of cave clefts within the caves was implemented and cave spiders hid in there, and I'd like it if you could build your own little cottage to take refuse in. Thats it.

For the love of god, don't add hay fever into the game ever, if hamlet wasn't enough Uncompromising Survival is enough to show how absolutely infuriating and annoying of a mechanic it is and should've never see the light of day.

14 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

i'd only want interiors tastefully added into dst and like...nothing else. I appreciate hamlet being this little weird slice of DS with it's own special stuff and it's own bits of lore. Adding it to DST without making like an entire different world type akin to island adventures SW Only mode would be really, really offputting and strange.

I'd like it if like, a version of cave clefts within the caves was implemented and cave spiders hid in there, and I'd like it if you could build your own little cottage to take refuse in. Thats it.

For the love of god, don't add hay fever into the game ever, if hamlet wasn't enough Uncompromising Survival is enough to show how absolutely infuriating and annoying of a mechanic it is and should've never see the light of day.

Hamlet takes place in the skies above DS/Shipwrecked according to the game’s actual lore...  you know what else took place in the sky? The MOON but Klei brought a large chunk of that crashing down into the Ocean with the Return of Them.

Im just saying that it’s not as unreasonable as people make it out to be for a Hamlet themed area to suddenly just appear.. if a chunk of moon can come crashing out of the sky, I’m sure a Jungle Biome or two from Hamlet can fall from the sky too.

Right? ;) 

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

Hamlet takes place in the skies above DS/Shipwrecked according to the game’s actual lore...  you know what else took place in the sky? The MOON but Klei brought a large chunk of that crashing down into the Ocean with the Return of Them.

Im just saying that it’s not as unreasonable as people make it out to be for a Hamlet themed area to suddenly just appear.. if a chunk of moon can come crashing out of the sky, I’m sure a Jungle Biome or two from Hamlet can fall from the sky too.

Right? ;) 

you have no idea how much i'd hate that with all of my being

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Right? ;) 

The real Aporkalypse is the moon falling out of the sky.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, Ornge said:

House building could be fun. Sure its an easy way to avoid darkness and other threats, but if you have to do some difficult tasks to unlock it than im all for it

Here's my suggestion.

I think if Hamlet house building were to be introduced, players shouldn't be able to build their own houses. There's two reasons for this:

A) Being able to place houses near bosses like Bee Queen and Dragonfly would be game breaking.  

B) It would completely change the game as we know it. Instead of bases, everyone would have houses. Hounds and darkness and other threats could easily be cheesed. Also, players would be less sociable.

My suggestion is therefore to have a single house generated randomly on the map. This is a broken-down haunted house. The house has a difficult boss that can be defeated to claim ownership of the house (a ghost or something). Players can then renovate it. 

That would mean that the Hamlet building experience would be accessible to DST players, but players would have to work for it and it would be late game thing. It would also mean that having a house comes at the cost of not being able to choose where you live, meaning that normal bases are still viable. 

On 6/23/2020 at 3:01 AM, Squirrel12 said:

Here's my suggestion.

I think if Hamlet house building were to be introduced, players shouldn't be able to build their own houses. There's two reasons for this:

A) Being able to place houses near bosses like Bee Queen and Dragonfly would be game breaking.  

B) It would completely change the game as we know it. Instead of bases, everyone would have houses. Hounds and darkness and other threats could easily be cheesed. Also, players would be less sociable.

My suggestion is therefore to have a single house generated randomly on the map. This is a broken-down haunted house. The house has a difficult boss that can be defeated to claim ownership of the house (a ghost or something). Players can then renovate it. 

That would mean that the Hamlet building experience would be accessible to DST players, but players would have to work for it and it would be late game thing. It would also mean that having a house comes at the cost of not being able to choose where you live, meaning that normal bases are still viable. 

I don’t know if it would be “Game Breaking” as you call it, houses in Hamlet do provide a free light source through nightfall... but so does Abigails ghost/ Another dead player, Willows Lighter, Groups of Fireflies, Etc..

My point is that Darkness is less of a Threat then it’s Ever been.. So to have a home wouldn’t really damage that any worse. 

Terrorbeak & Crawling horror still spawn inside your house so it’s not like you got it 100% Safe from them. 

As for being able to avoid hound waves.. yeah uhh no that has never worked for me- in any situation EVER, Jump through a Wormhole/Splunk into a cave.. when you came back out those hounds are still outside.. still angry.. still ready to kill you when you return.

It’s less the Personal House that I want... and more of the more advanced stuff (almost all trees having a chance to spawn a mob) from hostile Snakes and Scorpions that inflict you with Poison Damage, to the Simple Passive Piko squirrels that Eat the seeds you wouldve used to plant a new tree.

Surface Biomes that are heavily guarded by hostile mobs like the Forests of Hamlet.. To Biomes that you can’t even step foot into without proper protective gear (such as the toxic land fields of Hamlet)

Even something as simple as Tall Grass requiring you to craft a Machete to hack it instead of just plucking it by hand without a tool.

These features.... would go a long way in making DST more challenging, more fun, and less familiar.

I don’t know about YOU but Anytime I chop a Tree in Shipwrecked or Hamlet I sit there paranoid that a scorpion is going to fall out and stab me or a Coconut is going to Konk me on the head.

Yes- I do indeed have the “Death by Coconut” in my obituaries & I’m not ashamed to have it.

Don’t Starve is a game about a hostile open world environment full of things that are out to make your life miserable...

DST needs more of that.

So Yes.. I would very much love to have some Hamlet features in the future.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t know if it would be “Game Breaking” as you call it, houses in Hamlet do provide a free light source through nightfall... but so does Abigails ghost/ Another dead player, Willows Lighter, Groups of Fireflies, Etc..

The homes from Hamlet would counter a lot more than just darkness, they also completely negate the threats of Frog Rain, Wetness, Hounds, Bosses, Freezing, Overheating, Sanity Loss (the homes provide a positive sanity aura when indoors), and a whole lot more.

Another thing to take into account, how would they even register one player being indoors, and one being outdoors at the same time? I believe they're counted as two separate maps in Hamlet, since you are unable to read a treasure map indoors. Would they have to enforce the homes as a separate shard like the caves?

On top of that, if the building is destroyed on the outside when a player is on the inside, what happens? Does the building collapse, destroying everything inside and instantly killing the player? I'm sure that would be fun. :D

Archived