Walter & Woby Arrive June 15th!

12 hours ago, gghhrr said:

wait... wil Walter drop sanity when being wet? or wearing wet clothes..?

That's a really good question, he (supposedly) doesn't lose sanity at all unless hurt...

(I swear to Them, if Walter is our first rain tolerant character before Wurt or Wormwood... bruh moment.)

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

1711473114_Screenshot_20200613-101239_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b8446e20c667d63f5638999bad10c29f.jpg

hm...

thanks for taking that line in particular out of context, I knew that would happen.

That line is referencing balancing, and how a veteran of the game have a better grasp on what would be considered balanced (granted, this varies from person to person) than others due to experience. (And also referencing how a person that mains a character will have more thought put into a suggestion regarding said character compared to someone who doesn't)

However, this does not mean that only they can give valid criticism. Criticism from all angles is always the best.

Also that thread was notoriously **** in regards to how I worded everything, plus my suggestions were way too extreme, so I just leave it behind me and pretend that it doesn't exist

Actually, I think I might delete it entirely.

Looks fun! I have no idea how he'll play, though - I'm guessing he'll be heavily support orientated. I'm just curious how his slingshot will be implemented code-wise, future modding ideas perhaps? 

Also, I'm going to assume the comments about him being a "steam workshop character" were meant as a compliment, since there's a lot of interesting and well-made characters (not including mine lol) on there - and that's mostly thanks to how welcoming and easy-to-get-into Klei has made modding with DS/DST.

3 minutes ago, scotchdanny said:

IDK if anyone has asked yet but how will this effect a fight with the bee queen :)

It'll probably be a very harsh fight for Walter alone, since he takes more damage from bees, and armor doesn't seem like it will prevent that, so he probably won't be able to viably tank the fight.

You could possibly (depending on how strong) use the pellets to slow down the grumble bees or freeze them entirely so that you can focus your shots on bee queen while using Woby to possibly make distance? (depends if Walter can even shoot from Woby's back)

frankly? this character sounds like one that is beginner-friendly enough that i could finally justify buying dst. i've spent the last several months only playing solo and i would like to be able to join a server without getting an auto-ban for being new or not being a willow/wendy/wigfried player.

i totally get that the old-guard want to be rewarded for the many hundreds of hours they have sunk into the game but wouldn't it be nice to have new players who could feasibly play as well without being a detriment to themselves and others?

In defense of Walter! 

Hello! I would like to counter some criticisms made of the character design that is to come based on my perceptions only, they are not an absolute truth but I think that maybe other perspectives may even help to see the character in another way.

So, with forgiveness for the translator, let's go ... Thinking about building the character by analyzing his skill set, it might seem that he doesn't add anything like new unique items, just versions of existing but personalized items. But when it comes to gameplay mechanics he is a character that will work as a support for battles, as a great explorer to open the map thanks to the mobility of your pet and its kit of skills for camping.

Your scout concept is totally consistent with the game where you establish small bases and explore. So think of a great character option to start on the map, with a partner not to leave a lonely child on your exploration! In fact, have you ever stopped to think that Willow's teddy, for example, seems to work within the Constant as a manifestation of her longing for protection? Since its animation, the item seems to have this link and the constant shape to that will. I think Walter's pet works like that, too, a budding fellow who "shares Walter's burden." 

The fact that he is a scout allergic to bees is a comic irony just as it would be if you were allergic to certain plants after all a scout ventures into nature. His familiarity with sleeping in tents and cooking at the stake are highlights of this consistency. 

And his loss of sanity with injuries reminds me of the image of a child who usually needs a mother to blow his wound and say that everything will be okay. (Unless this wound is a bite from a giant yellow mutant spider that jumped ferociously on its back at night! Damn!)

And I imagine that this handicap with injuries makes him a perfect little "support" in combat by shooting with his slingshot while his WX turns into a canister and fuels his hatred for organic beings. That's how I see this new habitant of the constant, perfectly coherent and within Klei's magnificent rigor to create a new character. Thank you very much Klei * - *

Today is flag day, I wonder if that has anything at all to do with Walters Monday release date? (My knowledge of what Flag Day is all about and actual Boyscouts is little to none)

It just seems kind of odd that they will drop the update so soon when usually they wait until the last few days left in the month to do it. I mean- Of course I’m not complaining it just came as a shock to me to release a new update so fast off the release of Mays QoL update.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Today is flag day, I wonder if that has anything at all to do with Walters Monday release date? (My knowledge of what Flag Day is all about and actual Boyscouts is little to none)

Canada's flag day is February 15th though, so maybe it's just a local thing. :wilson_curious:

Spoiler

Also...I have a sneaking suspicion on what Walter's birthday is gonna be...

image.png.d8cd25f32f9513ac4e88ea895dc70ad8.png

I wonder if they're gonna include Woby's birthday as well in the character bio...

3 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Canada's flag day is February 15th though, so maybe it's just a local thing. :wilson_curious:

Reveal hidden contents

Also...I have a sneaking suspicion on what Walter's birthday is gonna be...

image.png.d8cd25f32f9513ac4e88ea895dc70ad8.png

I wonder if they're gonna include Woby's birthday as well in the character bio...

Oooo omg yes! I would love that and also completely off topic spoiler but I’ve always wondered- 

Spoiler

How do things like the boyscouts become created for the first time ever? I mean even the very first video games ever made- whoever made those didn’t go to school and learn programming skills to do that.. they just naturally had that talent and know how born into them.

It makes me question ALOT about the Universe and all its greatest mysteries- I mean How did we get encyclopedias that detail What type of berries in the world are eatable and which ones are bad? 

in my head I picture a bunch of cavemen digging into bushes and then after two or three of them eat it & die over dead with x’s over their eyes then the fourth one grabs up a stone and carves into it “Ungah Blueberries with pink polka-dot on it BAD!”  

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Oooo omg yes! I would love that and also completely off topic spoiler but I’ve always wondered- 

Reveal hidden contents

How do things like the boyscouts become created for the first time ever? I mean even the very first video games ever made- whoever made those didn’t go to school and learn programming skills to do that.. they just naturally had that talent and know how born into them.

It makes me question ALOT about the Universe and all its greatest mysteries- I mean How did we get encyclopedias that detail What type of berries in the world are eatable and which ones are bad? 

in my head I picture a bunch of cavemen digging into bushes and then after two or three of them eat it & die over dead with x’s over their eyes then the fourth one grabs up a stone and carves into it “Ungah Blueberries with pink polka-dot on it BAD!”  

You can easily look those things up and find out how the "first" of many things were invented. In general, new technology is discovered when advancements are made with existing technology. Video games came to be largely because of the massive amount of money put into researching computer technology, which came about around the cold war. The first person credited as inventing a video game was a physicist who worked on the atomic bomb.

To say that people are just born with "talent and know how" is just entirely wrong. The people who invent things aren't born with extra knowledge of any subject, they obviously learn it from what we have documented from previous generations. Modern  technology exists because money was put into experimenting with the tech of the previous era. Most inventions at this point aren't designed by some supergenius, but rather a team of researchers who use recorded knowledge and attempt to enhance our previously existing technology and create better versions. Typically, the goal of these teams is to create a more marketable product rather than just advance technology for the sake of it, but the idea is the same. Nobody just is born with the knowledge of how to make a video game, and talent is typically something learned than given at birth.

Here is a little drawing of Walter, because I'm totally hyped for him, he is so adorable, that face is so cuuuute help me plz (I tried to use somes colors but I usually don't do it, so it's not the best, I'm pretty ok with the look of it, but with abit of practice, I could make it better, and the angle of the pic make the colorized one having a sausage head, I'm so sorry)

aaaa.png

With only a few hours left till Walters release was it ever actually confirmed rather or not he is an actual Boyscout? Or is that just a detail forumgoers just automatically jumped to?

The reason I want to point this out is because his outfit could easily look like that of an Expeditionist- So Allow me to make the final largest Lore Theory prior to his animated short reveal- What if Walter is actual kin to and directly related to THIS GUY... who didn’t just vanish into the constant, he also vanished from Klei’s acknowledgement that he ever even existed at all, ladies and gentlemen I give to you- Grandpa Warbucks! 

Tan suit.. matching red scarf. Could be?

9A2ADCCE-D53E-44BD-A96B-A43051A631CF.png

Archived