Small Details You Like

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

Wurt specifically isn't vegetarian because of that. But after thinking about it, it made sense. She's not a vegetarian, she's an herbivore. It's not terribly uncommon for herbivores to eat bugs as well as plants.

Well...that and butterflies in the Constant are just flying flowers, hehe.

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

I like it when WX references computer things in their quotes. My favourite is probably "ERROR 502" for the (unactivated) Ancient Gateway, which literally translates to "Bad Gateway" in HTTP code.

god WX has been so satisfying to write lines for
Think that's been my favorite part of U.M., haha.

The squish, squish, squish when it's been raining & you're walking around.

That the game starts in Autumn. Autumn is just such a calming (before the storm) season for me.

"I'll butter your muffins." -Me, internally, every time I see a butter muffin. Which I love the art for as well.

3 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

At first, Wigfrid not eating butterflies and Wurt eating butterflies bugged me. (heh)

Wurt specifically isn't vegetarian because of that. But after thinking about it, it made sense. She's not a vegetarian, she's an herbivore. It's not terribly uncommon for herbivores to eat bugs as well as plants. Being nonhuman, she's simply got a different biology than other survivors, same as Wortox (and Webber, but he's an extra special case).

Wigfrid, on the other hand, doesn't think bugs are food fit for a warrior because... well, they're bugs. There's no great chase or battle to smush a bug. Even killing a rabbit requires more cunning than punching a butterfly.

actually, according to Maxwell, butterflies are plants.

There's puddles everywhere after it's been raining alot for a while, and it splashes as you walk around.

Thick snow makes crunching sounds when you walk around. Trees, buildings and some structures will become covered in snow after its been snowing.

Different biomes have different ambience depending on night and day. For instance, In the forest at night, you can hear owl noises and rustling. In the savannah, you'd hear soft wind and crickets.

I like the animations you only see very rarely. Trees petrifying, Tallbirds laying eggs etc. It gives me that wow this ain't something you see every day nature is amazing -feeling. I especially love the moment when grass gekkos grow back their tails, completed with the zipper-like sound. Very wholesome.

Oh, I like all of these!  Little details aka Putting In Effort, Thinking of Things, and Paying the Beep Attention are some of my favourite traits in a game developer (or anybody, really).  I remember, the first time I played Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, being impressed at how his quills would blow around in the wind when there was one, and how he'd leave footsteps in the sand/snow, and breath puffs in the ice zone.  Mind you, in 1999 when that game was made...games didn't do that very often.

So, to add to all these nice little They Actually Thought of This! details in DS/T that everyone's been mentioning...

--The way your character actually gets a bit darker lighting on them when they step into shade.

--The little -poink!- sound and...re-flating? animation when cacti grow back.  SO CUTE.  XD

...Notorious

On 11/25/2019 at 5:58 AM, Lammarr said:

I like how deerclops gets calm after destroying 4 buildings or more and it gets a new expression on its face.

Decided to peak at the code because I wasn't familiar with this mechanic.

local STRUCTURES_PER_HARASS = 5
inst.structuresDestroyed = 0

local function IsSated(inst)
    return inst.structuresDestroyed >= STRUCTURES_PER_HARASS
end

local function AfterWorking(inst, data)
    if data.target then
        local recipe = AllRecipes[data.target.prefab]
        if recipe then
            inst.structuresDestroyed = inst.structuresDestroyed + 1
            if inst:IsSated() then
                inst.components.knownlocations:ForgetLocation("targetbase")
                inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("deerclops_head", IsSpecialEventActive(SPECIAL_EVENTS.WINTERS_FEAST) and "deerclops_yule" or "deerclops_build", "deerclops_head_neutral")
            end
        end
    end
end

local function OnEntitySleep(inst)
    if inst:WantsToLeave() then
        inst.structuresDestroyed = 0 -- reset this for the stored version
        TheWorld:PushEvent("storehassler", inst)
        inst:Remove()
    end
end

Looks like the number is actually 5, and it resets the counter to 0 if he's put to sleep.

12 hours ago, L. Ringmaster said:

Decided to peak at the code because I wasn't familiar with this mechanic.

local STRUCTURES_PER_HARASS = 5
inst.structuresDestroyed = 0

local function IsSated(inst)
    return inst.structuresDestroyed >= STRUCTURES_PER_HARASS
end

local function AfterWorking(inst, data)
    if data.target then
        local recipe = AllRecipes[data.target.prefab]
        if recipe then
            inst.structuresDestroyed = inst.structuresDestroyed + 1
            if inst:IsSated() then
                inst.components.knownlocations:ForgetLocation("targetbase")
                inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("deerclops_head", IsSpecialEventActive(SPECIAL_EVENTS.WINTERS_FEAST) and "deerclops_yule" or "deerclops_build", "deerclops_head_neutral")
            end
        end
    end
end

local function OnEntitySleep(inst)
    if inst:WantsToLeave() then
        inst.structuresDestroyed = 0 -- reset this for the stored version
        TheWorld:PushEvent("storehassler", inst)
        inst:Remove()
    end
end

Looks like the number is actually 5, and it resets the counter to 0 if he's put to sleep.

The counter also resets when deerclops aggros on something or it gets attacked,and its aggro range gets smaller too.

Archived