[Game Update] - 379886

Just now, Jessie223 said:

so why bring up shipwrecked

Ask the original poster, Jessie. I can only speculate as to why. I think he mentioned it to give reason as to why fish morsels worked in shipwrecked. The nerf to pond fish and the lack of alternatives in DST make fish recipes bad now. Just a theory. :)

43 minutes ago, Jessie223 said:

@Gourmand shipwrecked is not in dst

Except it slowly IS being added to DST, certain Items, Mobs and content are being pulled directly from Shipwrecked, Albeit... with a slightly new redesign or Reskin, Boats, all the Boat Kit Parts, The new types of fish.. 

even Shipwrecked Waves were brought over (but they’re only used during the fight against the Malbatross boss for now)

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Except it slowly IS being added to DST, certain Items, Mobs and content are being pulled directly from Shipwrecked, Albeit... with a slightly new redesign or Reskin, Boats, all the Boat Kit Parts, The new types of fish.. 

even Shipwrecked Waves were brought over (but they’re only used during the fight against the Malbatross boss for now)

image.thumb.png.e6f1f891946faa1e91e4bfcf7f418151.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8

I don’t really call a critter Reskin new content.. but ehhh to each their own I guess?

Boats still require building a Mast, an Anchor, a wheel and an Oar, you could Totally have crafted a bamboo raft in SW and sailed the ocean just fine like that.. it’d Be slow but you COULD, the same way you can craft just a boat cookie in DST and paddle out to sea using an Oar, However crafting masts made them move faster, Same basic function.. just Reskinned to look different.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t really call a critter Reskin new content.. but ehhh to each their own I guess?

There are no critters included in my image. If you'd like to take them into consideration, though, the Lunar Mothling is in fact a new piece of content exclusive to RoT that doesn't even have any sort of equivalent in SW. I don't get your point.

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Boats still require building a Mast, an Anchor, a wheel and an Oar, you could Totally have crafted a bamboo raft in SW and sailed the ocean just fine like that.. it’d Be slow but you COULD, the same way you can craft just a boat cookie in DST and paddle out to sea using an Oar, However crafting masts made them move faster, Same basic function.. just Reskinned to look different.

You're not considering these two things in the context of an actual videogame, though, you're describing them as a concept. Consider the actual process of using a sail in SW:
Collect the necessary materials, craft the sail of your choice, equip it on your boat, use WASD to move because SW boats are just water shoes, sew the sail eventually or it'll break.
And now consider the actual process of using a mast in DST:
Collect the necessary materials, craft a mast, take the mast kit and place it down as a structure on a boat which functions like moving land and can hold any structure, use your steering wheel (another structure) to set the direction of your mast, walk over to your mast and let it down, watch out for sea stacks or fish or other things of interest, walk back over to your steering wheel and steer away/towards said things of interest, then you decide you need to stop so you walk back over to your mast and raise it via two clicks (one of them timed), then you walk over to your anchor (another structure) and let it down so you stop entirely, also this process will most likely include 2-3 separate masts which have to be managed individually.
Are these the same item, but reskinned?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Someone asked earlier how they could inspect their raft and repair it using sticks and logs, this was how you repaired boats in SW.. In DST they introduced Boat Leaks which require Patches to fix- However you can still use the twigs and logs to repair your boats health as long as it hasn’t sprung a leak.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Someone asked earlier how they could inspect their raft and repair it using sticks and logs, this was how you repaired boats in SW..

No it wasn't, to repair boats in SW you either use a boat repair kit (2 boards, 2 rope, 2 stingers) or you sit next to a sea yard (4 logs, 6 tar, 6 limestone), twigs or logs won't do anything. DST boats, the ones which are platforms that you can walk and build structures on, can be repaired with twigs, logs, or boards to increase their "health". Again, two very different mechanics.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In DST they introduced Boat Leaks which require Patches to fix

I don't understand your point, this is just more RoT-exclusive content that has absolutely no equivalent in SW.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That's kind of like saying DS/T's hunger mechanic was ported over from Minecraft. Comparing two things on an extremely abstract level does, in fact, make them sound similar. You aren't even comparing them functionally. You're just saying that they have the same function and so they must be copies of each other, which isn't true in the slightest.

SW's boats kind of override your controls when you got on them. Your movement is entirely replaced with that of the boat. Combat depends on boat health and speed. Boats attachments are treated like equipment rather than structures. There's many different versions of boats, specializing in different things such as inventory storage space, health and speed.

DST boats on the other hand, are more like a floating platform. Getting on the boat does not immediately give you full control of it. Instead, you have to build and use its structures to operate it. Boats in SW do not have an anchor equivalent, and they certainly don't have a steering wheel equivalent either. Not even animation-wise do they have either of these things. As for rowing, rowing boats in SW is automatic, free and intended as a main form of movement in the early game. DST boats require a tool with durability to row. DST boats also have 3 different oars available for rowing rather than the automatic one SW provides.

There is a ton of differences to be brought up just from your example of rowing a DST boat being functionally identical to using a bamboo raft:
- Bamboo raft (like other SW boats) has its health/durability drain over time while it's being ridden, whereas DST boats only lose health when they hit an obstacle, have a leak or get hit by the malbatross).
- Bamboo raft can receive either damage or a speed boost from waves, in any direction as long as the direction the player was facing when hitting the wave was good enough whereas DST waves push DST boats a certain direction regardless of what direction it's moving
- Bamboo raft is controlled using the regular movement controls, whereas DST boats require timing your clicks repeatedly on a specific side of the boat to move them
- Bamboo raft was made for early game exploration, since you spawned stranded on an island with no resources other than those for a raft. Boats are hardly useful for early exploration at all, especially without masts like you're suggesting.
- DST boats never stop moving once they start moving if they don't have an anchor, whereas bamboo raft automatically stops when you dismount it
- DST boats can keep moving with the rider equipping a lantern/torch, whereas bamboo rafts require you to come to a complete halt to let you equip those things

It's kind of ridiculous to say that DST's RoT updates and SW are in any ways similar other than a few ported food items and the general idea of exploring the waters of the world.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Someone asked earlier how they could inspect their raft and repair it using sticks and logs, this was how you repaired boats in SW.. In DST they introduced Boat Leaks which require Patches to fix- However you can still use the twigs and logs to repair your boats health as long as it hasn’t sprung a leak.

You can't repair SW boats using sticks or logs. The only methods you can restore a SW boat's durability are the ones Sunset Skye mentioned: boat repair kits and sea yards. Boat leaks aren't present at all in SW boats (the boats in SW constantly degrade, with no way to prevent it), and neither is collision damage.

Edited by Electroely
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Its still the same basic IDEA that was created with Shipwrecked in 2015 and four years later  that has been modified, expanded upon, tweaked & greatly Improved upon in this the year of 2019.

and that’s been the entire point ive been trying to relay across but until now couldn’t find a simple way of saying.

A piece of feedback for my main man @ScottHansen

Currently when a fish dies it instantly turns into spoiled fish instead of its meat/veggie counterpart. I think it should be changed to be consistent with all the other live animals dying. 

Oh, also all live fish get the prefixes “Stale” and “Spoiled” as they slowly start to die. That’s a little strange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

We all know that Jessie. The point was that they nerfed pond fish in DST, reducing the value from 1 to .5. 

Well that is a good thing innit? The big fish has 1 fish value. Why would anyone ever fish for big saltwater fish if they make the pond fish that require no tedious reeling in mechanics and no sailing the same value? We don't have limplets and stuff in DST so it's good that pond fish and small fish have 0.5 fish value while large ones are 1 fish value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

Currently when a fish dies it instantly turns into spoiled fish instead of its meat/veggie counterpart. I think it should be changed to be consistent with all the other live animals dying. 

Despite not being consisten t I hope it stays this way, it is now a much cheaper renewable source of bones that don't require people to die.

Wormwoods, and specially Warlys, and any other meat eater playing with a Warly, appreciate this feature tremendously

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Despite not being consisten t I hope it stays this way, it is now a much cheaper renewable source of bones that don't require people to die.

Wormwoods, and specially Warlys, and any other meat eater playing with a Warly, appreciate this feature tremendously

Ah, I thought fish meat would rot into spoiled fish, but I guess I was wrong. 
it’s cool then. Maybe the fish just have a horrible allergic reaction to the air? 

• Like 1

While the recipes using fish could perhaps use adjustments to stay relevant...
It feels like they're really meant just for ocean living now. Which...might be ok if the ocean becomes an interesting place to live?
Depends entirely on how future updates go.

6 hours ago, Slagger said:

Guys, what is that aquarium thing? And why it's showing weight? Is this about a minigame or challange?

It's a scale.

You can weigh your fish in there, it's purely for bragging rights. No content, minigame, or challenge unless you make it one with your friends.

12 hours ago, -Variant said:

It's a scale.

You can weigh your fish in there, it's purely for bragging rights. No content, minigame, or challenge unless you make it one with your friends.

lol it's very uselles

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:27 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Crabbits aren’t really though- because they don’t run away from you and retreat back to their spawning point, these things could retreat into the ground anywhere, but I don’t really care that they act much like rabbits, there is an Actual Beach Biome in the game now with Starfish, and Dead washed up prehistoric looking skeleton fish (you can locate this island near Lunar Biome) A sandy beach Biome isn’t a sandy beach Biome without some Crabs though.

Maybe prehistoric moon crabs but not crabbits. We need more danger there

• Thanks 1