[Game Update] - 379886

36 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Cool update but I mean… will it in any way, shape or form discourage me from eating jerky in favor of fishing?

Fishing as a non-Wurt was pretty much useless and this new fishing feels like that picture of a golden trash bag. It's shiny and cool but still garbage.

I mean unless it's not, I've yet to check it out in-game. 

Fishing is actually the best way to go for jerky. Fish meat dries into large jerky in a single day, so you’ll actually be able to get a lot more much quickly. 

Plus, surf n’ turf is a pretty amazing recipe. Don’t knock it tell you try it.

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Fish meat dries into large jerky in a single day, so you’ll actually be able to get a lot more much quickly. 

Sure but I mean… I can get 4 stacks of meat from a single night of bunnyman farming. I assume that getting the best fishing rod accesories is also time consuming so I still see no particular reason to fish.

57 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

Still haven't played the new update but what the point of the scale (except begin an aquarium) do fishes that weigh more give more meat ? Or is it just a competition/bragging who will catch the biggest fish ? Do you need bigger fish to catch/build something.

It's only used for the Scale-o-matic, but I hope something useful from the scale will be added. There's already two recipes for mesuring fish and you're always gonna be like "Oh no, it is smaller than the other, nom-nom-nom."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1v0 said:

Still haven't played the new update but what the point of the scale (except begin an aquarium) do fishes that weigh more give more meat ? Or is it just a competition/bragging who will catch the biggest fish ? Do you need bigger fish to catch/build something.

Currently it's just for bragging rights. The size of the fish, ergo its fish and meat value, is determined by its species, not weight. Out of the ten new fish species, 5 are small fishes, Runty Guppy / Needlenosed Squirt / Bitty Baitfish / Smolt Fry / Popperfish, which give fish morsel when killed, with I assume 1 fish value and 0.5 meat value, while the rest, Mudfish / Deep Bass / Dandy Lionfish / Black Catfish / Corn Cod, are medium fishes, having 2 fish and 1 meat value. To my knowledge, you can't remove a fish from the scale structure without destroying it so the tool one helps you decide which one to display.

2 hours ago, Mabeas said:

can anyone figure out how to make Seafood Gumbo? it seems that no matter what I do I can't get foods that total a 2.5 fish value to turn into anything but Surf N Turf

If I understand fish and meat values correctly, 1 fish value ¥ 1 meat value, it's more like 1 fish value = 0.5 meat value. Thus fish morsels have 1FV and 0.5 MV while regular sized fishmeat has 2FV and 1MV. As such, you can reach 2.5 FV in the crock pot before reaching 2.5 MV. I've seen youtubers do Seafood Gumbo with 2 fish morsel + 2 eel (makes 3 FV, 2 MV, if eels are still 0.5 fish). But I guess you can do it with 3 fish morsels + filler or 2 fish morsels and an eel, or one big fish, two big fish + fillers, 1 big fish + 1 fish morsel + fillers etc.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

To my knowledge, you can't remove a fish from the scale structure without destroying it so the tool one helps you decide which one to display.

You can remove a fish from the scale, but only by putting in a heavier one. That'll put your bigger catch on display, and physically eject the other one out onto the ground.

With that in mind, I think the tool is more meant for you to see which fish should be displayed and which should just be eaten, without having to go home and check the big scale each time.

Edited by Sunset Skye

9 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

The size of the fish, ergo its fish and meat value, is determined by its species, not weight. Out of the ten new fish species, 5 are small fishes, Runty Guppy / Needlenosed Squirt / Bitty Baitfish / Smolt Fry / Popperfish, which give fish morsel when killed, with I assume 1 fish value and 0.5 meat value, while the rest, Mudfish / Deep Bass / Dandy Lionfish / Black Catfish / Corn Cod, are medium fishes, having 2 fish and 1 meat value.

.5 fish .5 meat for the small ones, and 1 fish 1 meat for the large ones. This presents a bit of a problem when trying to cook Fish Cordon Bleu with regular (freshwater) fish like previously possible, which I hope isn't intentional.

33 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

If I understand fish and meat values correctly, 1 fish value ¥ 1 meat value, it's more like 1 fish value = 0.5 meat value. Thus fish morsels have 1FV and 0.5 MV while regular sized fishmeat has 2FV and 1MV. As such, you can reach 2.5 FV in the crock pot before reaching 2.5 MV. I've seen youtubers do Seafood Gumbo with 2 fish morsel + 2 eel (makes 3 FV, 2 MV, if eels are still 0.5 fish). But I guess you can do it with 3 fish morsels + filler or 2 fish morsels and an eel, or one big fish, two big fish + fillers, 1 big fish + 1 fish morsel + fillers etc.

the only one I could get to result in Seafood Gumbo was 2 fish morsels + 2 eels, it seems to be that the large fish meat has been changed to have 1 meat value as opposed to shipwrecked's 0.5 meat value for it which makes this specific recipe difficult to make

I have also found a way to occasionally catch fish without having to reel them in-- it doesn't work 100% of the time, but if you cast extremely close to your boat when fish are nearby, you'll skip the need to reel and the prompt will go straight to "catch". I don't know if this is an intended feature or not, but it's pretty cool in my opinion! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

He's comparing the two. We don't have easy access to .5 fish values like in shipwrecked (limpets, crabbits) so he wants Klei to unerf the freshwater fish.

Exactly. Regular fish had 1.0 fish value, now it's 0.5 for some reason, the same as limpets and crabbits in SW which didn't require a tool to be obtained.

• Like 2

Wouldn't that just mean 0.5 value fish just become more valuable? Why would you buff something to make it on par for something that doesn't even exist in the game? 

It's like how you need a tool in hamlet to get grass, while compared to other worlds where you can just pick it. 

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Exactly. Regular fish had 1.0 fish value, now it's 0.5 for some reason, the same as limpets and crabbits in SW which didn't require a tool to be obtained.

Limpets and crabbits don't require a tool to be obtained. This makes fish bad.
The Quacken has a chance to drop a cane directly along with lots of other loot, and you can buy tams from a hat shop. This makes MacTusk bad.
A Brain of Thought allows you to craft any recipe in the game. This makes crafting a prestihatitator unnecessary, and makes the Ancient Psuedoscience Station absolutely worthless for crafting.
An obsidian tool + a meat bulb can heat you up anywhere and almost for free. This makes thermal stones bad.
The Dumbrella lasts 3 more days than the Eyebrella but functions the same. This makes the eyebrella bad.
A Cutlass Supreme has dark sword damage, more durability, and no sanity drain. This makes dark swords bad.
Tropical fans are easier to craft than feather fans, because Doydoy feathers are a lot easier to obtain than down feathers. This makes feather fans bad.
Obsidian firepits have a huge range even at their lowest level. This makes regular firepits bad.
Tea trees can be chopped in autumn for both birchnuts and seed pods. This makes birchnut trees bad.
Magic waters are incredibly easy to obtain and the fountain of youth refills every 8 minutes. This makes meat effigies bad.

Notice the pattern here? All of this stuff is DS exclusive. None of it is in DST, so would you also be saying that any of this stuff needs a buff in DST so it stands up against something in a completely different version of the game?
I don't have an opinion on the fish value of regular fish, but this is such a silly argument.

And what about the opposite side of things? Is tall grass bad in DS, because grass gekkos can be farmed automatically and don't require a tool in DST?

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Limpets and crabbits don't require a tool to be obtained. This makes fish bad.
The Quacken has a chance to drop a cane directly along with lots of other loot, and you can buy tams from a hat shop. This makes MacTusk bad.
A Brain of Thought allows you to craft any recipe in the game. This makes crafting a prestihatitator unnecessary, and makes the Ancient Psuedoscience Station absolutely worthless for crafting.
An obsidian tool + a meat bulb can heat you up anywhere and almost for free. This makes thermal stones bad.
The Dumbrella lasts 3 more days than the Eyebrella but functions the same. This makes the eyebrella bad.
A Cutlass Supreme has dark sword damage, more durability, and no sanity drain. This makes dark swords bad.
Tropical fans are easier to craft than feather fans, because Doydoy feathers are a lot easier to obtain than down feathers. This makes feather fans bad.
Obsidian firepits have a huge range even at their lowest level. This makes regular firepits bad.
Tea trees can be chopped in autumn for both birchnuts and seed pods. This makes birchnut trees bad.
Magic waters are incredibly easy to obtain and the fountain of youth refills every 8 minutes. This makes meat effigies bad.

Notice the pattern here? All of this stuff is DS exclusive. None of it is in DST, so would you also be saying that any of this stuff needs a buff in DST so it stands up against something in a completely different version of the game?
I don't have an opinion on the fish value of regular fish, but this is such a silly argument.

And what about the opposite side of things? Is tall grass bad in DS, because grass gekkos can be farmed automatically and don't require a tool in DST?

Ok