Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JoeW

Woodie Character Update Now Available + RoT:Salty Dog Beta

Bird Up    2035
4 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

Immediately after TUNING.NO_BOSS_TIME(26 days), the game will pick 25% of the shoals in the world, and if you approach to close, it will spawn the malbatross.
After you kill it, or if you reload the game(the reloading the game thing is probably a bug though), it will be between 5 and 15 days before the game will pick 25% of the shoals(randomly) that could attempt to spawn the malbatross again.
if you ever reload the game, the 25% of shoals will get re-randomized, meaning anytime you save near a shoal, upon entering the game, you have a 25% chance of instantly summoning malbatross assuming that the spawn timer is at 0.

Awesome, I wish i understood lua for stuff like this lol. Any idea what triggers his feathers to drop? I managed to kill him and he didn't even drop enough feathers to make his mast.

ADM    6281

So I'm currently testing all the new Woodie's change and the first thing that surprised me is not a Woodie feature but the musics.

I like them but I feel like they are "ocean themed", so maybe it's just a bug and are supposed to be played on boat, hum ?

Tapirus    2067

*reads the thread*

"Fix Woody"? But you know...I thought people wanted to experience “new styles of gameplay with challenging mechanics” since a while, no?

After all, everybody needs a “proper downside” like hmm...ah yeah, Wormwood who can’t heal from food. heh

zarklord_klei    1165
15 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Awesome, I wish i understood lua for stuff like this lol. Any idea what triggers his feathers to drop? I managed to kill him and he didn't even drop enough feathers to make his mast.

upon hitting the malbatross, he will attempt to spawn 4 feathers with each feather having 5% chance of dropping.
if the malbatross hits a mast, he will drop 3 feathers, and attempt to drop 2 more with a 30% chance for each.
so you can get 0 to 4 feathers per hit, getting 4 is a ‭0.000625‬% chance though.
and upon hitting a boat mast, he can drop 3-5 feathers, getting 5 is a 9% chance though.

zarklord_klei    1165
3 minutes ago, Pruinae said:

@Zarklord Do you have info on the salt box and the Warly's salt spice?

salt box:
makes anything inside it last 400% longer(makes thing spoil at 25% of the normal rate).
it can only take things that are "cookable", but not "deployable", so anything which you can cook, but can also plant(like seeds) won't be allowed.
in general only meat can go in there, also spoiled food can also go in.
warly's salt spice:
makes whatever it is applied to give +25% health.
also, rocksalt when used to preserve food, give stack size / 50% increase in its perish timer. basicaly, it will add 50% of the items perish time, for one singular item, so if you applied equal rocksalt to item in the stack ratio, it would increase the perishtimer by 50% of the max perish time of that food.

Pruinae    1417
5 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

-snip-

Wooo! Thanks a bunch! (Also sorry for hiding the question post, I got confused with something and didn't wanted to @ you again)

Cookiemies    98
Just now, watermelen671 said:

Pretty much.

Also it has a cornhole...

image.png.576749087688dd867a3099bdd41fabbf.png

You're welcome. :wilson_goodjob:

Klei should make it be able to swim.. 

If it could swim it would be amazing and a worthwhile transformation. :D

watermelen671    19307
Just now, commanderdemon said:

apparently woodie turns into a bird now.
though he does like gooses, those are the only birds he likes.

I wonder what the examination quote is for a Woodie examining a Goose Woodie?

Just now, Cookiemies said:

Klei should make it be able to swim.. 

If it could swim it would be amazing and a worthwhile transformation. :D

I just want them to put shorts on the goose. IT'S TOO OBSCENE FOR MY GOOD WHOLESOME CHRISTIAN SERVER!!

Steeles4500    30

Since everyone decided to spam instead of provide useful information ill try to be constructive to klei.

I love the CONTENT that you guys add but there seems to be a disconnect with the character balance. Wicker, Wolf and Wortox reign so far above the rest its somewhat absurd, and i think the real reason for this is that food isnt important in DST. Its the rare materials and items that really matter, starving can feel pretty difficult once you become accustomed.

So while woodie losing all his hunger for going into the form is in my opinion a stupid downside, its not very relevant since food is plentiful. Now what i dont appreciate is the length of these forms. They are far too short and although monster meat is plentiful you would need a ton of it to use these forms actively which is not going towards Bacon and Eggs, stews and otherwise. This would be fine if the form provided some major benefit but it doesnt.

The beaver form feels rather useless now, as a massively over expensive way to collect wood. I really dont have much to add, it just doesnt feel as though it belongs anymore.

The Goose form moving fast seems nice until you realize that mighty wolfgangs speed boost even without road or cane is massively more efficient on resources. Although they are plentiful for balance sake i think if you need more input you should get more output. Not being able to access your inventory, needing specific food and really having no combat in the forms makes it feel like a gimped wolf, which is really the core issue here. Wolf can stack move speed buffs more effectively and kite with them, while using less and a wider variety or resources, making this specialized form less effective then a passive.

The Moose i wont spend much time on, but you cant heal in the form, its duration is dreadfully short and its not even that great at combat, since its equivalent to a wood suit and ham bat which are very easily obtained and mass farmable items. Wolfgang can do so much more with less input, and wig has better combat at spawn. I understand that woodie isnt a character specialized for combat but with how expensive these forms are it feels as though they should excel more at their task.

So in short, hes a character that takes more to do less then others. Hes worse at gathering wood then max, worse at fighting then Wolf or even wig while using the forms and suffers more sanity loss at all times which can be very annoying during important fights while not allowing you to control your sanity to farm nfuel like max or even wes. I suppose you could say hes a jack of all trades, but something about this setup doesn't feel right to me with how expensive it can feel, since he only really excels at gathering living logs. 

My proposal, bring back a wood meter or similar other mechanics to allow him to extend his forms. The goose form should last a very long time and give him defensive bonuses while being cheap to activate, and night vision of course. Make it a form for exploration and perhaps getaways.

The moose form should be relatively much more expensive to activate then the goose but provide some form of staggering combat bonus, making him a powerful option for combat, albeit and overly expensive and inconsistent one.

As for the beaver form, i feel it should actually operate exactly as it used to. It would allow him to gather wood as he used to, although only have the log meter in the form and have it be activated using a idol that is 4 logs or some such. This would allow the players who preferred woodie as he was previously to maintain most of his features, while having new ones. 

MrSoratori    69

Its Kinda sad to admit -  The goose cant swin and cant run fast enough. Still slow than a  Wolfgang full belly. A shapeshift made to have one single purpose: Run.
You will lost all your hungry points in 60 seconds to gain some mov speeds - nothing that magiluminescence + walking cane can do better.

In the same way, the moose cant be a fighter. 60 seconds isnt good enough, 59 damage isnt good enough. A dark sword its better than this form, and you still fast enough to kitting any enemy. You can use armors in human form, you can heal in human form. A Marble suit + pierogis can do a better performance a milion times than this. 

Too slow, too weak. 60 seconds and you hungry is over. Again.
The price to shapeshift is realy cheap, but just do not worth it

If the point is buff or aprimorate Woodie, Klei, Im sorry to say, but in the first time ever, its fail. Sounds like some gimmicks you will use in start game and never remember the existence after this :T 

shadowDigga    853

Even the animated short is a disaster. Animation doesn't match the one in the game, woodie and treeguard don't look like themselves, nothing is told about the character origin.

Mario384    1082

Copied and pasted here from another thread since it's my relevant thoughts:

I told myself if this rework was bad, I was going to make a huge post like I had done in prior times complaining about Woodie/Werebeaver.  But, while the realization that they messed this up still catches up to me, I'll settle for comments on other people's posts.

Where to begin, where to begin...

Well, let's split up all the parts of Woodie and take a look at them, then examine how they could be better.

1. Woodie Himself

Certainly the most boring of his parts conceptually, but the most effective overall.  Woodie without his log meter means he gets to keep all of his product without the log meter, so he basically got buffed pretty nicely.  But without the downside of eating wood, Woodie has officially become better Wilson.  Congratulations Woodie!  But yes, there's literally nothing else to say here, as Woodie himself is just Wilson that chops trees really fast, which is boring.  Now, onto the semi-optional debuffs!

2. Goose Form

Literally useless.  Being able to move around as fast as a hound for less than a minute at best at the cost of all your hunger + the sanity and health cost of using a totem is such an awful tradeoff.  It doesn't even swim, which I find incredibly ridiculous, I mean, both beavers and moose are known for swimming, but if anyone should've been able to swim, it should've been the goose.  But no, instead it does nothing but move fast for a very short amount of time.  Overall, goose is pointless, avoid it always.

3. Beaver Form

The best combatant out of the three, what Werebeaver makes up for not being able to hit hard, his slightly above average speed and much faster attack speed make him suitable for usage in close-range fights against weaker opponents.  His harvesting skills are pretty good, but the amount of time you get to use it for, along with the full hunger drain and health and sanity costs basically makes it not worth using at all.  Woodie already chops down trees plenty fast, and since beaver got nothing new in his kit this update except not being able to extend his transformation time, the already mediocre Werebeaver got nerfed.  Sad!

4. Moose Form

The second best combatant of the three transformations by proxy of being 1 of 2 able to fight at all, the moose form is based around fighting.  However, due to short performance time, the moose is better off avoided.  Sure, you can use it to tank a hard-hitting enemy, but once you go through that nice transformation back to Woodie very shortly, whatever you were fighting will take that sweet animation time to kill you, so no worries if you were concerned with surviving.  Even if you do survive the initial turn back, the grogginess applied to you should let the big boss whack you once or twice more, so you should be dead by then.  This also hasn't mentioned that you'll lose all your hunger as well, so you'll be taking damage until you can get away from your target to eat food, not also mentioning getting your armor back on and dealing with grogginess as well.  In total, avoid this one too!

5. Woodie as a Whole

Woodie is faster-woodcutting Wilson with a permanent tier 2 beard,  a permenant axe, and the ability to befriend useless animalmen for slightly longer.  In order to balance this straight upgrade from Wilson out, Klei nerfed one and made 2 new were-forms Woodie would be tempted to use for the possibility of "fun" and "utility", but each one is a trap to bait Woodie into losing his all hunger and some health and sanity, along with giving no satisfaction at all for using them.  Therefore, if Woodie doesn't want to drain his food supplies (possibly shared with teammates), keep losing health and sanity, and wasting some random ingredients he could use elsewhere, Woodie must stay away from using his wereforms.  While this is unavoidable on a full moon, you just sort of deal with it, and that's that.

6. Where Did It Go Wrong?

Oh god, this is the hard part.  Then again, a harder question would be "Where did it go right?", because the answer to the former is all of it.  Woodie's previous problem is that his DST counterpart paled in comparison to DS Woodie.  DS Woodie had an excellent beaver mode, which provided locomotion, attack strength, and harvesting ability, along with weather resistance and night vision.  Woodie in DST, on the other hand, had a ****ty beaver, and was compensated marginally with planting pine cone sanity and slightly longer befriending times.  The issue here primarily was that he was depthless; Werebeaver was something you got out of immediately to avoid punishment, and everything else was just being a better Wilson overall.  As a Woodie main myself, I wanted the beaver to be more useful while adding more depth to using it since the beaver had no threats outside of no healing, temperature and nightmare creatures, but such threats were annoying and not fun to deal with in the slightest.  Instead, Klei made the beaver even more useless while adding 2 more useless transformations on top of it all, but removed the log meter.

So, the whole "Avoid the beaver" thing is more extreme than before, and it's also easier to do so.  I guess the only people who won with this update were those who enjoyed solely playing as Woodie.

7. How Do We (Klei) Salvage This?

I'm just going to make a bulletpoint list of things which might make this more fun in the slightest.

- Let us extend the timer further for the transformations.  My idea is that certain actions in a wereform let you regain amounts of meter while also making the meter drain slower.  Therefore, it is up to the player to make sure they're able to keep the transformation up for as long as they need, while also not overextending it too much where turning back becomes a problem.  If they want to stay as a were-animal, they shouldn't be directly punished if the forms are designed well-enough, as there should be some weakness to each one.  I also personally don't think said weakness should be being unable to heal, as there's no working around that, and no room to grow in skill, it's just a mindless limit.

- The forms need more.  Werebeaver isn't in a good spot but is in the best spot.  Goose needs a lot more (let it swim and attack, preferably at the same time) Moose could be okay if you could extend the timer like above, as it's combat style might have some sort of skill-based factor to it.  I couldn't tell you right now, because the transformation doesn't last long enough to test it out.

- Woodie himself needs a downside outside the forms.  Right now, always being regular Woodie has no downsides and is an upgrade to Wilson, which is very poor game design.

- Alternatively, scrap the the two new forms and just work on getting Werebeaver right.  If you're really proactive, you can add the other forms back some other time.

This list is a very basic starting point to work off of, to get something really good would require more time investment.

8. Ending Thoughts

I've been waiting for this rework for 3 or 4 years, I don't remember anymore.  I was excited when they started, because I was finally going to get what I've been asking for for a very long time now.  People warned me it wasn't going to be good, but I put good faith in Klei to deliver on this one thing.  However, as of now, I'm not playing this character ever again until it gets fixed.  Woodie was my main, but now he's either a boring, better Wilson or a food-draining nightmare, and I'm certainly not playing that.  Overall, I'm starting to doubt if Klei has the capability to put out quality content nowadays, as everything they've done since porting ROG to DST outside of the events has felt lackluster.

TalZahn    66

I agree with the above comments but thought of additional or alternative ideas to make certain forms more useful.

Moose form could use a small temporary health boost, similar to Werewilba perhaps. Since it cannot kite very well, it's essentially going to face tank. Also needs more time, so either more base time, or maybe after dealing so much damage, the timer increases again. If it's supposed to be a fighter, it really needs to be able to last for a bit against a boss. 

Goose form also needs more time. Maybe it could gain more time when running on a road/cobblestone, and as long as it keeps moving, doesn't lose time (but if deemed overpowered, could start giving it a bigger sanity issue after so much time goes by).

And werebeaver should just regen time by chomping. Very simple and easy to maintain. It's just a wood gathering mode, shouldn't have much a time limit excluding your sanity. Maybe also let him dig up stumps in one bite. It's essentially chopping anyway.

And i think after ALL forms expire, you should be left with 5 hunger. Just 5 so if you were low health thanks to moose or something, you have a chance to throw something in your mouth. Maybe even just 3 hunger. 

DarkPulse91    1009

#FixWoodie

The new forms last a pitiful amount of time. But there is still potential!!!
Let the goose jump over gaps
Let the moose have passive healing
And let beaver gain log meter to keep gnawing away!

GetNerfedOn    6256

i guess we could say that Woodie got nerfed on, hard.

I can only hope that he gets tweaked; this might very well be the case seeing the community's outcry and the devs' usual response to that outcry.