Edit:

- stone fruit bushes that sprout from the 1%saplings don't need fertilizer, or get diseased, because they are considered like natural bushes from lunar Island

However, if you replant them, you will have to start fertilizing them

Perks:

- 20+ Stone Fruit Bushs spawn on lunar island, and can be shoveled

- Each yields 3 stone fruits every 1.5 days

- Each stone fruit doesn't spoil, and can be mined for 50% chance of rock, 50% chance of stone fruit or 1% chance of stone fruit sapling

- Stone fruits spoil as fast as juicy berries

- Stone fruits have 12 hunger value, cooked or raw (like juicy berries)

- Stone fruits have 1 health value uncooked, and 3 health value cooked (like juicy berries)

- Stone fruits are not fruits, but vegetables!

- Stone fruits count as 1 full vegetable too, not 0.5 veggie

- They grow in winter too!

- They have two stages (so you need two Horticulture book uses to fully grow)

- If not picked in time, the crop is lost and turns to dust when picked.

- They consume quite a lot of rot because they grow so fast, but you can make rot easily by leaving stone fruits on ground to rot

- Maxwell is great at mining the stone fruits, but most characters can just use golden pickaxes

- A fun way to open hunderds of stone fruits is to drop individually on ground and use gunpowder or slurtle slime to blow them up (you cannot drop stacks on ground, since it only opens up one stone out of 40)

- You can stockpile them forever.

- they do get diseased if replanted

Best food item in the game? For me, it is. Especially if you are a maxwell main with miners always on standby.

Definitely best filler for me. It even dethroned ice. These things are insane.

I always solo-sail to lunar before day 20, since they are just too good. Can feed nations.

They are literally the sole reason to go to lunar, as a mandatory detour.

Do you think Klei will nerf them?

Any other Stone Fruit obsessionists around?

1 hour ago, loopuleasa said:

Any other Stone Fruit obsessionists around?

I'm more the type to just go live on the moon for the absurdity of it and play around with what's there, but...
I've been seeing a lot of people importing stone fruit trees on public servers lately.
Haven't seen as many importing Lune trees, though, all things considered, they would probably go extinct multiple times due to people not bothering to catch and replant the moths.

Curious though. Stone trees require fertilization after a few growth cycles like berry bushes/farms, right?
If the fruit sits on the tree and turns to dust, does that count toward the cycles? Or is it only if the player picks the fruit?

52 minutes ago, maradyne said:

Curious though. Stone trees require fertilization after a few growth cycles like berry bushes/farms, right?

If the fruit sits on the tree and turns to dust, does that count toward the cycles? Or is it only if the player picks the fruit?

Only counts if the player picks the fruit, cracked or not.

If the cracks fruits turns into dust on their own, it doesn't count

One important aspect of Stone Fruit Bushes is they also get diseases. Yet one way around this it seems to be to only use those 1% chance Stone Fruit Sprout - from what I've personally seen, they mature into Stone Fruit Bushes that don't require fertilization like the transplanted ones do and don't have the disease mechanic attached. Aka Stone Fruit Bushes grown from Stone Fruit Sprouts are basically wild Stone Fruit ones.

They're amazing. I'm inclined to completely get rid of any berry bush farms and replace them with stone fruit bush farms. They're just so much better because they work in winter, grow faster, and give you rocks. It doesn't take long to have chests full of 360 stone fruits. All of the avocado that you don't eat turns into rot for fertilization. They're pretty op and should be toned down a little bit in my opinion. I agree that they're currently the sole reason to go to lunar island.

2 hours ago, Bird Up said:

They're amazing. I'm inclined to completely get rid of any berry bush farms and replace them with stone fruit bush farms. They're just so much better because they work in winter, grow faster, and give you rocks. It doesn't take long to have chests full of 360 stone fruits. All of the avocado that you don't eat turns into rot for fertilization. They're pretty op and should be toned down a little bit in my opinion. I agree that they're currently the sole reason to go to lunar island.

The “currently the sole reason to go to lunar island” is why I don’t think they should be nerfed until something else is added.

Without a reason to go to lunar island the only purpose of boats is shortcuts and all the boat add ons are useless.

@loopuleasa Your rates are incorrect. Its a 65% chance of the Avacado Fruit, a 1% chance of the sapling, and the remaining 34% chance at rocks (as per tuning.lua and rock_avacado_fruit.lua)

Also, these are the nerfed rates. Old rates was 70% fruit, 5% seed, 25% rocks (much thanks to @Zeklo for posting that info during the beta).

They were nerfed after this post was made where someone said something similar of them giving too much food.

Also, yes, @x0VERSUS1y is correct, bushes from seeds are disease free. Reason being is cause its just a c_spawn("rock_avacodo_bush") for the seed. Never reported it cause they never gave a disease-free alternative to the bush, like geckos and Twiggy Trees, unless this was it.

It's also just rocks and veggie filler, and since berry bushes were never given a disease free alternative, I don't see a reason to further nerf this. 

Also, are moon shards not at least an OK reason to go to the Lunar Island? It's not like their uses are terrible (and may have future boss potential ;) ).

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Also, are moon shards not at least an OK reason to go to the Lunar Island? It's not like their uses are terrible (and may have future boss potential ;) ).

Moon shards are good, but not better. We have Bearger/Forest Stalker to chop trees and Glass Cutter is just Dark Sword, the difference is negligible.

...the involved headache makes the glass items a bit less appealing to me than they might otherwise be. Like, the Glass is limited and takes work to renew with a fair bit of time waiting for Full Moons, the tools have low durability and require running back to the Moon whenever you want to craft more, meaning you can't like, carry it as a resource to make more tools mid-fight/farming...
Some natural Moon Shard formation renewal would be good...or some constant sources, like dropping from mutated mobs. Would make it able to compete with Nightmare Fuel, at least.

Another thing I would like is if the Celestial Orb would act as a backup crafting station. Like, you would still have to go to the Moon and construct the altar to make the items the first time, but after that you could craft them at the Orb? Would give the Orb more use, anyway.

Stone fruit is pretty good and a great source of rocks. But god does it suck to have to crack a couple of harvests of these bad boys in a row. I got only about 25ish plants and they produce so much stuff, it's unreal.

Rott, poop, food, rocks - it's all sorted with these guys.

14 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@loopuleasa Your rates are incorrect. Its a 65% chance of the Avacado Fruit, a 1% chance of the sapling, and the remaining 34% chance at rocks (as per tuning.lua and rock_avacado_fruit.lua)

Also, these are the nerfed rates. Old rates was 70% fruit, 5% seed, 25% rocks (much thanks to @Zeklo for posting that info during the beta).

They were nerfed after this post was made where someone said something similar of them giving too much food.

Also, yes, @x0VERSUS1y is correct, bushes from seeds are disease free. Reason being is cause its just a c_spawn("rock_avacodo_bush") for the seed. Never reported it cause they never gave a disease-free alternative to the bush, like geckos and Twiggy Trees, unless this was it.

It's also just rocks and veggie filler, and since berry bushes were never given a disease free alternative, I don't see a reason to further nerf this. 

Yes I pointed this out back during the original beta how good they were but no one seemed to care/want them non-diggable. I still think an effective solution is incorporating disease which people misinterpreted in my original post or maybe i didnt explain myself correctly.

Essentially bases would still rely on berry farms early to mid game until they start to get diseased. Now you might be saying HA just stop the disease from spreading and continue using the rest of the berry bushes. But what if instead of stone fruit bushes requiring rot or poop for the fertilization they required some special fertilization that you had to farm from diseased berry bushes. That way you cannot immedialtley just dump 30 stone fruit bushes in your base and call it a day.  Berry bushes would still serve there purpose early to mid game before you start to transition to the stone fruit bushes mid to late game and would require some maintenance and fertilization stockpiling if you plan on using them during the winter. At the same time this also gives the disease system some added depth that its currently lacking.

Though I must admit I still wish they weren't dig-able to incentivize returning to the island. I mean reeds and light bulbs are non diggable for this very reason. Not sure why they added the cool ability to travel the seas if the most important resource on the island can be moved and negate the traveling they worked so hard to add. 

11 hours ago, Canis said:

If you put a stack of 40 stone fruit on the ground, the Werebeaver can mow through them in like 8 seconds.

(From what I can tell, this will be the same post-rework.)

each transformation can open 75 stone fruits. This number can be way bigger if it's a full moon

9 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

If they were to be nerfed, it should be with how fast they grow. Its very common for worlds I play on to have chests full of stone fruits because they grow so fast. They could even double the time it takes.

I would triple it after more content gets added, and they would still be great late game food.non-spoiling aspect is huge

I haven't had a chance to do a ton of experimenting yet, but so far, what I've seen is that stone fruit bushes will still produce fruit in the caves. Maybe only ones planted from a sprout will grow, not sure. What happened is, I was in the cave with a supply of unbroken stone fruits to keep me going. I broke one and got a sprout, thought, "Why not?" and planted it underground in an area with no sunlight shining down from above at any time of day, though there were light bulbs around. Came back later, and it had grown and was bearing fruit, which I could then pick. I haven't tried transplanting bushes from the island, and it sounds like they may behave differently.

1 hour ago, kiwikenobi said:

I haven't had a chance to do a ton of experimenting yet, but so far, what I've seen is that stone fruit bushes will still produce fruit in the caves. Maybe only ones planted from a sprout will grow, not sure. What happened is, I was in the cave with a supply of unbroken stone fruits to keep me going. I broke one and got a sprout, thought, "Why not?" and planted it underground in an area with no sunlight shining down from above at any time of day, though there were light bulbs around. Came back later, and it had grown and was bearing fruit, which I could then pick. I haven't tried transplanting bushes from the island, and it sounds like they may behave differently.

Transplanted ones work in caves.

Most compact food sources for hidden cave islands on public servers.

Archived