Anyone else not care about skins, etc?

Hi everyone . Been playing DS and DST since early 2014 , mostly just DST since 2016 . Love the game for its challenge , and variety of different charactors. Its a top 5 all time in my personal favorite games.

Just wondering how many there are like me who love the game , but could care less about all the skins and digital gifts ? I just use default skins for everything and could care less about cutomizing everything, or how things look. I see a lot of people get so hyped about gift drops that don't affect gameplay , just seems like a odd thing to get worked up about. I dunno , just never had any use for such things. The only digital gifts I thought that were kinda cool are the vignettes or loading screen pictures , just because they have great looking details and it gave me something different to stare at while waiting.

Don't get me wrong , I think its a good thing Klei does these gift drops because theres obviously people that like playing digital dressup and what have you. Just wondered if I am the only one who could care less about that stuff and simply enjoy it for the gameplay ?

I like the skins, primarily because if i'm building a dozen storage chests in my base, it's nice to have them look a little different. Same with fridges, or fire pits, etc. Just nice to have variety when you get farther in the game and have a lot of stuff. I like having the opportunity to mix up my base's look through the differently skinned items

Now for character skins, i'm a bit less interested in. Some of them are really nice, like Webber's Roseate skin does a lot to change his look since he gets a softer black with no harsh white lines in it, and I rather find that soothing to look at. Heads are nice simply because, like the item skins, it does let you change up what you're looking at now and then

now the one type i am very rather disinterested in are clothes skins. I unravel those usually

They're nice to have I guess.

I don't get hyped about any skin drops, all the skins ive gotten are either through progression and crafting from the Forge and Gorge, or an occasion money drop for bundles because I just want to support Klei.

Anyone who would actively make sure to log in every day in the hopes of getting some rare skin drops (regardless of if they are going to actually play the game), just confuse me.

For me, I like to wear skins to show the fact that I've been playing the game for a while. I've noticed that people are often judged by what skins they wear, if at all. And the most common stereotype is that people who have no skins are new to the game.
But one reason I know people try to get rare skins is for the small hope that they can sell it on the steam market for a few quick bucks. But some skins out there are worth more than $10. So greed can sometimes guide them into trying to get as many skins as possible.

As for me, i just wear what looks good or if I am playing a particular role, I wear clothing to match that role

I personally love skins. They add a new spice of verity, allows you to look more badass, and just allows for more customization. Skins allow me to be more creative and allows me to add distinct visual verity to my world. They also serve a praticle use, say you have multiple chests skins and then you can use them as a way to sort them or sometimes I ise my multiple armor skins to help determine a specific use for each one. I also love clothing skins. They look really cool and add a way for me bring verity to playthroughs and allows me to look the part for a specific event or job, like a combination of forge gear for specifc raid bosses or a more gardener like design for tasks like tree chopping. They just allow me to have that distinctness that single player lacks. Finally, Im a casual collector. I do obsess over skins to where I will login daily to get skins to either use them or spool them. I got a majority of my skins through simple spooling of duplicates. I have spent money a few times to get a couple of skins I REALLY wanted (like the untriumphant maxwell skin) because I though they looked cool and nice to have. I think Klei made the right move to add skins in the first place but to also add the spool system. Klei makes their skin system better by having both a way to get skins and a way to repurpose them into ones you want. Sorry for the short essay on skins, I just really like them.

Yeah once you beat all the bosses and conquered the world what else is there to do bit build a kicking base aside from challenge runs and pubs.

The only problem I see are the potential for whales, as is the case for any game with purchasable cosmetics, weather they be truly cosmetic or not. (Thankfully they're just skins)

8 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I take it you must not be that into base building. Each skin can change the aesthetic of a base or part of the world. I don't think I ever would have been as much into base building if we didn't have so many great skins. 

Ehh , sort of . I generally just focus on a purposeful medium sized base , with 4 to 6 'flingomatics to cover. Nothing too fancy except maybe a few beefs to ride .Usually just play with 1 or 2 of the same friends or solo to keep lag minimum (ps4) . Large extravagant bases arent my thing really. Too much other fun stuff to try and beat. Like I said in my post , I am more core gameplay focused and skins just distract me from that generally. I do get the point about different chests helping to organize . I have never had too much issue with that, but may look into trying it. All and all I think skins are great in the sense it allows Klei a way to monetize this great game and there are people who love them as well. I just made the thread to see if I'm the only one who does not use or care for them. Looks like I am a weirdo who just cares about core gameplay lol. 

42 minutes ago, themightyone said:

Ehh , sort of . I generally just focus on a purposeful medium sized base , with 4 to 6 'flingomatics to cover. Nothing too fancy except maybe a few beefs to ride .Usually just play with 1 or 2 of the same friends or solo to keep lag minimum (ps4) . Large extravagant bases arent my thing really. Too much other fun stuff to try and beat. Like I said in my post , I am more core gameplay focused and skins just distract me from that generally. I do get the point about different chests helping to organize . I have never had too much issue with that, but may look into trying it. All and all I think skins are great in the sense it allows Klei a way to monetize this great game and there are people who love them as well. I just made the thread to see if I'm the only one who does not use or care for them. Looks like I am a weirdo who just cares about core gameplay lol. 

Hey! Another PS4 player! The lag is definitely more severe on console which kind of discourages a lot of us from making megabases. That's the great thing about this game though we can all play how we want and focus on what we each find fun. I have a crazy developed world over 4000 days, but I've only killed Toadstool once (not even misery), Fuelweaver once, and dragonfly just a handful of times. Most worlds over 1000 days have way more completions of these than I do. 

I used to care more about core gameplay in the first year I played and when new stuff came out, but once you've done everything you either start megabasing(worlding) or play other games.

Skins are fun.  Opening the gift is wow what did I get today another skirt, shoes or shirt.   I like the belonging skins in the Gorge I just wanted the goat walking stick.  I like the different players to have different faces. When playing with a group it is nice to see different Wig, or Wolf.  I do not go overboard like spending $$$ on anything.  I just enjoy the daily gifts.  

On 8/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, Ogrecakes said:

They're nice to have I guess.

I don't get hyped about any skin drops, all the skins ive gotten are either through progression and crafting from the Forge and Gorge, or an occasion money drop for bundles because I just want to support Klei.

Anyone who would actively make sure to log in every day in the hopes of getting some rare skin drops (regardless of if they are going to actually play the game), just confuse me.

How about me logging every day to get enough spools to unlock the new characters cuz the content isnt available in my psn store :( (UAE).

Disclaimer: i would probably still do it even after the characters :D

Oh that and i wish there was a way to combine curio between PC and consoles, that would solve some issues. Like DLC skins and wormwood, steam market, etc

Skins are lovely as extras but if they take serious time from developers and chip away from perma content id definitely vouch for more content. 

Archived