Griftlands Alpha Launch

• Developer

Griftlands Alpha Launch Poster

Hello!

Today we are happy to announce the launch of the Griftlands Alpha! You can visit the store page here.

This launch build allows you play most of Sal’s story. The final confrontation will be released at a later update, and then the rest of the characters will follow.

This game is in active development, so you can expect frequent updates and hotfixes. Our first scheduled update is currently set for July 25th, and we're planning on updating every two weeks after that.

In addition to our biweekly updates, we are going to make a special "Griftlands Experimental" build available, which will update much more frequently, and give you a sneak peek at the features that we are working on. This build will be available sometime next week.

We’ve got plenty of surprises and fun new mechanics planned for the future. We’re looking forward to making this game a lot better with your feedback!

Thanks for playing!

Griftlands Update 1

F.A.Q.

What is Alpha?

Alpha is the earliest public stage of Klei games. Ever since Don’t Starve, we have been releasing our game at a very early stage in order to get feedback. At this stage, we feel the game is interesting and fun, but many features are yet to be implemented and some design elements are still up in the air. By playing the Alpha, you are coming in at the ground level and giving us essential feedback about our game.

How will you be responding feedback for the Alpha?

We have built an in-game feedback system in the game. Simply press F8 at any time in the game and you can send us your feedback. Of course, there will likely be too much feedback for us to respond to individually.

We will be primarily garnering and responding to feedback on our forums, and will keep everyone up to date with the current status of the game both on the forums and inside the game.

How often will you be updating the game?

We expect to roll out updates every 2 weeks. We will also be using an Experimental Branch to give players a sneak peek of the upcoming update.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Alpha version?

In Alpha, you will be able to play as Sal, the bounty hunter. As we develop the game, we will be adding cards, quests and characters as well as tuning and quality of life improvements. We expect the game to have 3 characters each with their own campaigns at launch.

What is the current state of the Alpha version?

Currently, you will be able to play as Sal, and complete 80% of her campaign. Each run of the game presents new events, jobs, bosses and cards. When you get to the end of the campaign for each character, you unlock more difficult Prestige modifiers for future runs.

How long will Alpha last?

We expect Alpha to last for about one year, at which time we will enter the next phase of development into Early Access. We expect to fully launch the game next Fall.

If I purchase the Alpha, will I get the full game at launch?

Yes. When you buy Griftlands during Alpha, you will have access to the game through Early-Access and you will get the full game at launch. In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Alpha?

The base price may be increased as the game becomes more fully featured.

Is Griftlands a CCG?

No, Griftlands is a single-player rogue-like deck building game with an emergent narrative. You earn cards during play via the jobs you complete, and build out your negotiation and fighting skills. There are no microtransactions.

What platforms will Griftlands be on?

We currently support PC, and will be adding OSX and Linux support in the future.

Damn I'm so confused, but it looks good and original.

Got some understanding about combat and "speech", but now I'm stuck with low everything. :D

This will be heavy on 3rd party translations tho. Unlike DS and ONI the conversation are really must read and understand.

P.S. Thank you so much releasing this 30 minutes after buying DST Forge skin pack on Steam. What a rip off from valve. You really changed my view point on games. And after watching your GDC vids I don't really care about this EGS controversy or whatever. Wish you guys at Klei good luck with this game. No crunch and happiness.

Unfortunately this will be the first klei alpha I can't participate in for the last decade. I'm glad klei can get the money bags they deserve but I am still ultimately disappointed.

4 hours ago, Maxeek said:

P.S. Thank you so much releasing this 30 minutes after buying DST Forge skin pack on Steam. What a rip off from valve. You really changed my view point on games. And after watching your GDC vids I don't really care about this EGS controversy or whatever. Wish you guys at Klei good luck with this game. No crunch and happiness.

Half the EGS controversy is about developer mistreatment such as crunch time. Even if its not the half that made it famous.

4 hours ago, zzKratoszz said:

Unfortunately this will be the first klei alpha I can't participate in for the last decade. I'm glad klei can get the money bags they deserve but I am still ultimately disappointed.

I am on the sameboat here. I still love you guys and gals at Klei, but this is a real boneheaded decision to work with a company that is so anti-consumer. I mean at the end of the day a company needs profit to survive, especially an indie developer, but after seeing this company managing to self-publish their past few games as successes, it feels like a betrayal of consumer trust to stick this as an epic exclusive first.

So I do hope that this game is a success, but I fear I will not in good conscience buy this game while its only exclusive on the Epic game store.

Big Yikes.

Will wait another year, waited so long already so it won't hurt to wait a little bit more.

Hope these kind of deals do not become the norm for you guys as it is already the norm for so many developers.

It's awesome that they pay you guys more, it would be even more awesome if they were this kind to players too, the actual customers on their store, not only developers.

The spyware thing, plus the launcher being awful and lacking in pretty much everything, plus the store being even more awful in my country, plus all the anti consumer practises are the reasons why i will probably never support any game on EPIC.

Yeah, gotta say I'm really disappointed.  You guys make awesome games and I love supporting you, but I absolutely won't support Epic nor the developers who sell out to them.  I realize you got a ton of money for this, money you can use to make the game even more awesome, but in the end the Epic store is featureless, has little to no respect for data security and Epic pretty much goes out of its way to treat customers and employees both as worthless cogs in their great money-making wheel.  I cannot in good conscience support those practices, so ... wish you the best, but I am outta here.

Exciting! I don't know if I'll be buying it now or when it's on Steam, but it's heartening to see the project come off ice. On a separate note, I'm also really excited to have Kevin being present in the community again. I saw how much you engaged with the community for lore-building and the like for Invisible Inc and I've always really admired that. I've always liked having preset characters rather than just randomly generated chess pieces, and for me, the banters and data logs and other lore stuff you wrote for Invisible Inc took the game from good to great. (The community's also done a lot to expand on that since then and I do hope you check it out! We love you over there.) Honestly tempted to buy the alpha off Epic now just for the chance to engage and be part of it.

• Developer
On 17/08/2019 at 6:46 PM, Remps said:

i bought the game but i saw in forums if you purchased in epic store you will get code for steam uhm my question is when ill get code after steam release or now ? or never?

To quote the main post:

If I purchase the Alpha, will I get the full game at launch?

Yes. When you buy Griftlands during Alpha, you will have access to the game through Early-Access and you will get the full game at launch. In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.

Archived