What do you do to counter summer?

What do you do to counter summer?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU do when summer hits?

• Stay on surface
    • Base in caves
    • I usually have wildfires/summer turned off

I usually base at the oásis desert, because there are no wildfires there. I don't go to caves until antlion is dead and I have 5 bundles full of honey (so I can eat it until next summer is here). After that I go underground so I don't need to deal with overheating

If you've got the goods (lantern, miner's hat, things for at least the start of a second base, etc.) caves are the better option. 

Or you could wait for the start of Summer and open the Winter trap set piece like I just did...

Surface basing, even in the Oasis during Summer, is kinda boring. Last time I did it solo it was just me killing Antlion, and stuffing my face.

I honestly go either way. Most often we use the oasis desert, but we do cave base every now and again. Both are fun to do in my opinion and have things that make them worthwhile experiences.

Both. It depends. 

I have played way too much this game, so i need to switch back and forth from these short of things. 

Chilled amulet/ice cube/luxury fan (any of these just swap when in need) + eyebrella/floral shirt and you are good to go in the overheating aspect if you are on the surface. 

Wildfires are a pain in the butt, but oh well,I have never disabled them. 

Build a flingo for your surface base.  Store your thermals in the frig and just switch them off for cooling.  You can make chester into a cold storage with blue stones and he can also hold your thermals.   If you have a group of people kill the antlion first.  If you are solo go to the caves and use the bolders the ant drops.  Don't fear the summer it is just another season.

I've gone entire summers doing nothing but standing under the shade of a tree with a fashion melon. With a little help from the beefalo and the birds, I can force grow crops to either feed me, or to convert into a fashion melon. :D

I do both, but people get way too scared of the surface. Eyebrella, thermal stones, ice Chester, Endo fires, flingos, luxury fans, chilled amulets, ice staff...

There are more reliable ways of dealing with heat than cold in DST. First summer I'm in the ruins if I didn't rush them, but my game really opened up once I stopped being afraid of the summer.

16 hours ago, Terribad said:

I do both, but people get way too scared of the surface. Eyebrella, thermal stones, ice Chester, Endo fires, flingos, luxury fans, chilled amulets, ice staff...

There are more reliable ways of dealing with heat than cold in DST. First summer I'm in the ruins if I didn't rush them, but my game really opened up once I stopped being afraid of the summer.

I think most people just don't want everything burning down without spamming flingos everywhere

I just stay on the surface, it's not hard to not notice when something is smoldering. But when something did manage to burn, I use Ice Staff as a fire extinguisher. Planting a Lureplant in the middle of the base also helps.

On my forest-only, gear-scarce worIds I craft thermal stones, luxury fans, the eyebrella and a floral shirt, base in oasis, and carry nitre and grass on my person at all times. the next problem is food spoilage, which i counter by spamming eggs and slaughtering fire hounds and spiders.

2 hours ago, Ornge said:

I think most people just don't want everything burning down without spamming flingos everywhere

Yeah, this is the being afraid of I was talking about. I used to hide in the caves... But Ice staves are awesome for extinguishing smoldering and small fires. Luxury fans can do some great work once a fire is already roaring.

Spamming flingos everywhere, and leaving them off until you need them is a viable strategy too.

It's been a long time since I lost anything irreplaceable to a fire.

18 hours ago, Terribad said:

Yeah, this is the being afraid of I was talking about. I used to hide in the caves... But Ice staves are awesome for extinguishing smoldering and small fires. Luxury fans can do some great work once a fire is already roaring.

Spamming flingos everywhere, and leaving them off until you need them is a viable strategy too.

It's been a long time since I lost anything irreplaceable to a fire.

I'm not saying it would be hard to do that. I'm just saying it's annoying having to refuel flingos(especially if you have a big base) and avoid leaving your base in case you accidentally burn down a forest.

I'm not "afraid" of summer, in fact I've beaten it multiple times before on the surface. I just don't want to deal with the most annoying season in the game

On 10/07/2019 at 11:11 AM, Ezaroth said:

I just stay on the surface, it's not hard to not notice when something is smoldering. But when something did manage to burn, I use Ice Staff as a fire extinguisher. Planting a Lureplant in the middle of the base also helps.

Why would a lureplant help??

41 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

Why would a lureplant help??

Lureplants are the most fire susceptible objects in the game

Basically, if it's summer and the game says something should be smoldering, if a lureplant is onscreen, it will be the object chosen every time. 

With that in mind, as long as your base is within eyesight of the bulb, and you have a flingo on it, you can greatly extend the range of your base without having to worry about random fires or fueling multiple flingos

Typically I base down in the caves anyway due to liking the atmosphere and playstyle down there, so it's not so much countering summer as...oh hey, guess it's summer up there! GL nerds.
Antlion boulders are useful as barriers/renewable rock sources, so I don't even tend to go up for that. Just for special things, like killing bosses for seasonal loot (Eyebrella is great for cave life), Hound teeth for sewing kits, ect.

I do both. I'll usually have a small summer base with 2 flings if my gf is playing the map with me, 1 fling if it's just me, usually around a pond or 2. Then a base in the caves. We alternate between the surface and the caves depending on what we want to be doing at the time.

But to be honest I usually spend summer time on the surface farming logs, and on a recent solo map with a 6 fling base I kind of have to use summer to farm logs.

Archived