Do you consider dst too easy?

I've seen this one quite a few times, mostly coming from experienced players. What do you guys think? 

I personally think it depends on gametime, and once you know what and when to do it, it gets a lil easy on you 

I agree, and I have been saying it many times (perhaps too many times). The difficulty kept me playing and made me come back for more, as I want to overcome the challenge, to survive it! But now when most of the new content is optional you can survival without doing it.

I would suggest for them to add stuff like - when you active the portal in the caves, everything changes , an invasion or something or after XXX day. This way ppl will have a reason to go there and do it. To put it blunt if you want the new content you must survive to see it. And if you manage to do it that means you will be able to survive whatever the game throws at you next.

But I'd suggest we talk about this after the new content update (mid May).

You need creativity and imagination to continue to enjoy the game once you manage basic survival. You can try to optimize setting up your base, choose unusual places to build your base, like the swamp or ruins, devise new ways to farm resources and use items, come up with challenge run ideas, etc. So if you are used to playing games that are like a flume ride at an amusement park where you get locked onto a track and dragged through a predetermined path, then, yeah, you are going to run out of the obvious achievements at some point and feel like there's nothing left to do. 

DST is easy, but that's more to blame on the character balances and exploits, from my experiences.  Try playing a solo world with Wilson/Wes no cheese (including ice in meatballs) or telltale hearts and it will be much more difficult.  The game isn't easy, it's the exploits and power levels of certain characters that make it "easy".  (I know telltale hearts are sort of necessary for multiplayer but that's a different topic)  While I don't think the game is as easy as it is based off of how most people play the game, I know some people may disagree with me, but ignoring exploits, on a Wilson single-player world, I think the game is perfectly balanced, though most games realistically aren't like that.

Just recently I tried a challenge where half the players lived on the surface while the other half lived in the caves. I had never tried caves-only prior so it was a pretty new experience for me. We would occasionally make trades for exclusive materials like bunnypuffs for pigskin or a starcaller for a walking cane. All of us in the caves were Webber and it was a great change of pace. :D

Due to the nature of the game(not pvp, no constant updates keeping the game in perpetual disarray/etc), I just don't see how any game with these characteristics could be difficult for exprienced players.

It does however take a decent amount of time for a player to become "experienced", so there's that.

Well, it depend of your gamestyle. If you play it greedy by rushing ruins and stuff like that, you can consider there is a challenge but that's all,

when you have the experience of the game from years, nothing can put you in real troubles

I mean, the only bosses you can encounter are deerclops, bearger, and the mooses, kinda...

All the others things that come to you are hounds, worms, and rough seasons, nothing else will bother you, you have to find them.

And even if you're not prepared for a hound waves, y'all know we have at least one panic room in your bases to protect us for anything that come

I'm not sure of what to do to fix this, making the game harder sounds good but if we introduce brutal random encounters it will perhaps turn a megabase in a mess so the game need to know the difference in : making the game harder, and breaking everything, we need a perfect balance of this to be sure it will be fair

And as spiderswine tell us

59 minutes ago, spideswine said:

I just don't see how any game with these characteristics could be difficult for exprienced players.

Unless Klei want to be unfair for both experienced/new players there is no way to put down someone who know the game perfectly

The game is not easy at all. Common ! I bet all o ya who said it was have played at least more than 500hours. Any game is easy after 500hours. 

DST is knowledge based. You know stuff, you plan ahead, it gets easier. Other than that, your base is on fire, you're fighting nightmare creatures and "Darn!" hounds are now attacking.   rip

Any experienced players would have trouble dealing with this situation, the thing is to not let it happens.

7 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

The game is not easy at all. Common ! I bet all o ya who said it was have played at least more than 500hours. Any game is easy after 500hours. 

DST is knowledge based. You know stuff, you plan ahead, it gets easier. Other than that, your base is on fire, you're fighting nightmare creatures and "Darn!" hounds are now attacking.   rip

Any experienced players would have trouble dealing with this situation, the thing is to not let it happens.

I totally agree!
Experience, just like everything else, makes the game easier and that's normal.

The best way I've heard it described is that Don't starve is a game that's hard to learn, but easy to master. Early on You're going to have a hard time, You don't know mob kiting patterns, you don't know the best way to farm resources, everything's new and a mystery to you. But once you do have that bit of experience, with how to farm food, enemy kiting patterns, healing items, and armor, the game becomes pretty trivial after that.

Admittedly it took me a bit longer than it should have to reach that point, but once It did click for me, The game's difficulty curve basically went into the negative.

It's more than just experience. This clicked with me today when I was screwing around with the Willow rework.

Wait, WHY DOES WILLOW HAVE A MAGIC BEAR THAT HELPS NEGATE HER DOWNSIDE?

The game is changing. Now, unless the new content is some amazing, soul destroying, hope crushing gantlet of pain and suffering, DST appears to be becoming very different from singleplayer. Now, I'm fine with that and all but... I kinda miss the good old days.

It is too hard for new players and too easy for veterans. Surely something can be done somehow to make game easier at start and get progressively harder? Player can encounter deerclops day 1 and left with nothing at harsh season start while good player can beat big bosses very easy :(

whenever I think the game is easy I watch someone new play the game blind without resorting to wiki or backseat help and see the struggle.

and then I remember that the game really isn't easy, it's just consistent with it's rules and that most people that claim it's easy just follow the strategies that work around the rules.

3 hours ago, Charsis said:

Surely something can be done somehow to make game easier at start and get progressively harder?

The question is where do you draw the line, or is there even a line at all? 

What is A LOT of days to most people? Does the difficulty scale up every 100 days? Every 1000? Do resources wither? Do hounds increase in frequency, amount, or both? More bosses per season? 

I feel like the calls for more challenge won't be answered with changes to the content we currently have available. DST will always be a game that's difficulty lies in its mystery. The more you discover and learn the easier it becomes. There's no going back to that struggle until the new content comes, but even that will be temporary. 

I don't consider DST easy, but it's become just easy enough that I still enjoy playing after all these years. 

22 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Sweet. How so? 

If harder things to deal with meant to make player harder to fight is later in game, then timer can be checked to spawn it, so deerclops would never spawn for day 1 player if they start in winter. Basic recipe for hard season like earmuffs can make not needing science machine to craft. Harder bosses can come after player later in game too, like dragonfly. That sort of stuff should help new player but keep later game harder.

i think that after you get over the learning gap it does get a bit easy, but thats ok in my opinion 1 more mandatory boss (uninvited guest like deerclops) and couple more optional bosses wouldn't be bad :p  i regularly visit a dst streamer called Griver84 and there's been nonstop incredible ideas like a boss that revolves around fairy rings and murdering things in front of the pig king 

Archived