Jump to content

Any non-debug Turbine builds?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Technoincubus said:

Almost every Turbine topic on the forum is about some debug-built turbine installation that spant 30% of the map ad uses 10000000000 tonnes of steel.

Are there any more realistic turbine builds? Without 50 automation nodes or exploits?

Depends if you want ones that run all the time or the ones that delete heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Are there any more realistic turbine builds? Without 50 automation nodes or exploits?

Nope.

It's either exploits or uberhuge.

It's not that no one did it, it's that no one CAN actually build a realistic turbine build (that isn't huge) with current game mechanics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Nope.

It's either exploits or uberhuge.

It's not that no one did it, it's that no one CAN actually build a realistic turbine build (that isn't huge) with current game mechanics.

I mean, space-venting ones aren't huge, they just take up a lot of water.

Hmmm... I wonder how much could be reclaimed by pumps before you stop gaining power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming you use gas pumps to move exhaust back and you have infinite heat (magma is nowhere near enough heat), it will cost you 4.8KW to move all the steam back.

But you can stack steam turbines on top of each other, and you can have a very tall stack of steam turbines and only move the exhaust back once.

At 3 steam turbines, you start to turn a profit on power (again, assuming free heat). I would suggest a minimum of 8 or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lee1026 said:

Assuming you use gas pumps to move exhaust back and you have infinite heat (magma is nowhere near enough heat), it will cost you 4.8KW to move all the steam back.

But you can stack steam turbines on top of each other, and you can have a very tall stack of steam turbines and only move the exhaust back once.

At 3 steam turbines, you start to turn a profit on power (again, assuming free heat). I would suggest a minimum of 8 or so.

Bah! Forget moving all the steam, let some of it vent to space!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you only have a single layer, you can move about 40% of it back and be power neutral.

 

At 2 layers , you get to move 80% of it back. At 3 layers, you start turning a profit on energy after turning the top into a vacuum from too much pumping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are willing to spend water generating power, you might as well as just print a team of 5 dupes to run on hamster wheels.

 

Automated meat production with no inputs is easy enough with things like Pacus or Dreckos on a Balm Lily diet. Each dupe will only cost 100g of water per second, and will yield at least 2/3rds of their time running on the hamster wheels. That will yield an average of 400 watts per dupe, or about 4J per gram of water.  By comparison,  the steam turbine runs at 2000J per 10kg water, or about 0.2 J per gram of water.

 

By breathing Oxygen, each dupe will also generate energy from the hydrogen generator. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No exploits at all?  Does that include liquid locks?  One man's exploit is another man's "game mechanic" that must be worked with or around.  I assume you have seen @mathmanican comprehensive steam generator thread?  There are quite a few there that aren't made in debug and don't use a lot of automation.  For example, this one uses some gas conflict exploits but no automation at all once you have it set up:  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Ok, I get it. Steam turbine is not worth it in the current game build

I wouldn't say that.  They are a very efficient way to delete heat, even without tricking it in to running.  If you are worried about exploits, then you probably aren't wanting to use the water sieve exploit, so it is probably worth the effort to run a few steam turbines to destroy that heat, even if you can't get power out of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Yep completely unrealistic to build in survival

I build several every time I play (no debug, no sandbox). I use several exploits to get infinite power out of them. Definitely broken at the moment. However with a transformer/battery infinite power loop, there's no need for an exploited turbine anymore.  Cycle 10 and I've got all the power I could ever use, with no resource consumption (just changed the exploit to something simpler).... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

However with a transformer/battery infinite power loop, there's no need for an exploited turbine anymore.  Cycle 10 and I've got all the power I could ever use, with no resource consumption (just changed the exploit to something simpler).... 

And you still want to play the game? I try to avoid such huge exploits, because game just stops to be challenging anymore and is no longer interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

And you still want to play the game?

I look for more exploits, faster ways to build things, more ways to break the game. Yeah, I generally don't let any base get very far. I'm currently on cycle 18 of a run where I'm detailing the steps needed to build an exploited turbine in survival. Hopefully I can get it done by 40, and plan to introduce some simplifications to make it much easier for newbies to repeat. You should see this post coming soon. 

My real hope is that by showcasing these exploits, the devs will tackle them.  I'm excited to see what direction they take to fix things.  I've already tried to anticipate some of the potential suggested fixes, and already built and showcased why those fixes won't solve the problem (steam turbine with no blocked ports as an example). I'm well over 1000 hours into the game, and still finding crazy things to do with this fun world. 

Just now, melquiades said:

To delete heat are decent, and even then, you would need door pumps to make it work, but i don't know if it fits your definition of exploit.

Several condensation run builds have been put up. They don't use any exploits. They eat up heat fast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

My real hope is that by showcasing these exploits, the devs will tackle them.  I'm excited to see what direction they take to fix things.  I've already tried to anticipate some of the potential suggested fixes, and already built and showcased why those fixes won't solve the problem (steam turbine with no blocked ports as an example). I'm well over 1000 hours into the game, and still finding crazy things to do with this fun world. 

That's fair game. You play the game in your set of parameters, hunting down bugs and exploits, not to make the game easier for you through exploits.

I think the steam turbine needs a complete make over. IMO, they should go radical and only allow it to be placed on steam vents and lower the required down to the condensation point of steam. That way it can only act in a very particular situation without making it outright useless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm starting to wonder if blocking 4 ports really is an exploit. The code checks to see if all 5 ports are open... displays an error box and does nothing else. Could be a mistake that hasn't been addressed in how many months? The steam processed is scaled by the number of ports open. Hard to believe is a mistake, but maybe?

Real world steam engines have >40% efficiency. The ingame turbine is <0.07%, and that number "skyrockets" to <0.33% with 4 ports blocked. So in a world with build/harvest/supply guns.... dupes can't make a steam turbine that is at least 1%?

The only thing that comes to mind as explanation is that turbines are designed solely to delete heat. Creating power is a by product. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...