Ranching Upgrade Mark I is Live Now! - 260847

• Developer

ONI_Ranching.png

It's been a hard six weeks of survival for our poor stranded Duplicants, but something adorable is on the horizon that's sure to make them smile - Critter Ranching! With new tools at their disposal our Duplicants can interact with critters in a variety of cute and helpful ways. Will Hatches become Dupe's best friend? Is there enough grooming in the world to make a Puft smell good? What DO Shine Bugs eat? 

These questions and more can be answered in Oxygen Not Included: Ranching Upgrade Mark I!

Wait... What's "Mark I"?

Our team has a lot of ideas for where we want to take creatures in Oxygen Not Included... So many ideas, in fact, that they couldn't all fit into one upgrade! This means that Mark I is just the first of two Upgrades (the next being "Mark II"), which will have the same development cycle and release another 6 weeks from now with even more critter-related content for the game.

Releasing two part upgrades in this way gives us time to fully flesh out more complex ideas, iterate on existing content, and try out new things... and while we can't reveal all of what will be in the remaining half of the upgrade, we can say that it will increase the depth of critter loops and utility, and will further build on the mechanical foundations laid in this half of the upgrade. (And maybe there'll be a new species...)

So What's New in Mark I?

Critter Ranching

Critter ranching allows you to interact with critters in a variety of new ways and integrate them into the daily routine of your colony. Duplicants, particularly those employed as Ranchers, can care for Hatches, Shine Bugs, and Pufts to increase their happiness, farm additional resources from them, and even breed new critters for your herd.

Key Features

• Critter Wrangling: Use the new Wrangle tool and your Ranchers can capture critters alive and move them around your base! No traps required.
  • Critter Care: Tons of new buildings and systems have been implemented to keep your precious critters happy, healthy, and most importantly productive.
    • Needs and Conditions: Each critter species has specific needs that must be met in order to maintain their health and comfort. Temperature, atmosphere, and food needs will all need to be met in order to keep a critter happy, and a happy critter is a productive one!
    • Critter Feeders: Critters are hungry little guys and now have calorie stores just like Duplicants. They'll need to eat regularly in order to stay alive, but luckily feeding them has never been easier! Just pop a bit of unused stone into a Critter Feeder and watch a Hatch munch away!
    • Grooming Stations: Clip those claws, unmatt that fur, and shine those shells! Critters appreciate it when their handlers keep them in tip top shape, so be sure to build a fewer grooming station and let the primping begin!
  • New Ranching Job: This new job comes with a boost to the newly introduce Ranching attribute, and will teach Duplicants the art of wrangling critters in the wild for capture (no traps required!). Dupes who learn the Ranching trade will also be able to use a Grooming Station to give their livestock's happiness a boost from time to time.
  • Critter Reproduction: New reproduction cycles means you can ranch critters to increase their numbers. Raise a flock of twenty Pufts!
    • Happiness: You know, they say "Happiness is a warm Hatch." Well, Happiness is the new metric by which you can see how well your critters are cared for. Creatures with high happiness will not only produce more useful products, but they may even feel comfortable enough to lay some new eggs!
    • Eggs! When a critter's Reproduction stat reaches 100, they will now lay a brand new delicious adorable critter egg. These eggs can be immediately cooked and ravenously eaten raised with the utmost care to produce new critters, allowing you to increase the size of your lovable critter herd.
    • Incubators: Build an Incubator to ensure all your critter eggs are safe, secure, and most importantly, warm. These Incubators are equipped with ideal settings for each known species of critter egg, so go ahead, set it and forget it! (But make sure a Rancher is on hand to oversee the hatching!)

And More!

• New Database: A new encyclopedia has been added to connect you to a wealth of knowledge about foods, plants, animals, elements, systems... you get the idea! View all stats and functions for buildings and creatures at any time to plan your base to absolute perfection. And who knows? Some mysterious entries may appear from time to time, too...
  • Priority System Tweaks: The "Priorities" screen has been split from the Jobs screen into its own menu and can be used to manage individual Duplicants' priorities. Colony priorities have been replaced with a new "Sub-Priorities" button, which can still be used to set the importance of pending tasks but will be overridden by individual Dupe priorities.
  • 18 New Geyser Types: Tons of new points of interest have erupted onto the scene!
    • Geysers, Fumaroles, Volcanoes, Fissures
    • Copper, Iron, Gold, Co2, Hydrogen and more
    • Both cool and hot temperatures
    • Explore and find them all!
  • Performance Enhancements!
  • Tons of bug fixes, rebalances, QOL additions, and more!

Finally, we'd like to say a big thank-you to everyone who played the Ranching Mark I Upgrade Preview, submitted crash and bug reports, and gave your feedback in our Suggestions Forum. We're always grateful to hear your thoughts and thank you for the time spent playing our game.

We hope you enjoy Ranching Mark I!

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

What are the system requirements?
Specs are likely to change, but currently these are the requirements we have. It is highly recommended that you do not purchase if you aren't over this spec as we may have to raise the spec in the future. 

• OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit
  • Processor: I5 2.0 GHz Dual core(or AMD equivalent)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (AMD or NVIDIA equivalent)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1.5 GB available space

How often can we expect new updates while you're in EA?
All new content is being released as part of our regular game Upgrades every six weeks. Check the update timer in the main menu to see how long to go until the next update!

Is there OSX support for this game?
Yes!

What about other platforms(consoles/mobile)?
There are no plans to support any other platforms at this time.

I found a bug/have a suggestion. What should I do?
Come let us know about it on the forums!

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

Spoiler

ONI_Ranching_clean.png

ONI_Ranching_keyart.png

View full update and patch notes 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Really a good patch, it's only too bad that's the 18 geysers are not available on the same map, it could be add more gameplay variety.

Having all 18 new geysers and the oils wells and geysers we had before on a single map would be very cramped, and more significantly would actually limit gameplay variety and replayability in my opinion.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Having all 18 new geysers and the oils wells and geysers we had before on a single map would be very cramped, and more significantly would actually limit gameplay variety and replayability in my opinion.

What, how could making every map almost exactly the same again limit variety.

21 minutes ago, trukogre said:

What, how could making every map almost exactly the same again limit variety.

Obstacles breeds creativity.

When you have all options available to you it's easy to fall into the trap of doing the exact same thing, every game you play. It might be in a different order but it will be more or less the same. When maps are random and you have completely different resources available it makes each game more varied and fun.

10 minutes ago, Fleat said:

I mean i never spotted vulcanos or fumaroles or such things

They're hidden, like Easter eggs :D

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Obstacles breeds creativity.

When you have all options available to you it's easy to fall into the trap of doing the exact same thing, every game you play. It might be in a different order but it will be more or less the same. When maps are random and you have completely different resources available it makes each game more varied and fun.

I made an account just to let you know he was agreeing with you, hence the bolded words that he emphasized.

26 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It sounds like you're saying that when each map is almost exactly the same, then there's less variety of gameplay.

Edited by trukogre

1 hour ago, chemie said:

With only subpriority, how do you make message tables over ride to highest priorty (like med beds now)?

There are many questions like this, for example "how do you make sure your algae deoxydizers are kept filled at top priority?", "How do I make sure my toilets are emptied at top priority?". The answer is that you cannot, unless you have at least one dupe who has that particular task as their highest priority task. Your priority miner will take a sub-priority 1 mining task over a sub-priority 9 supply task and there's nothing you can do about it. I complained about this in the testing but to no avail it seems. Much better IMO if the tasks had been sorted by task priority first and then jobs within a priority band by dupe priority.

Just now, Giltirn said:

There are many questions like this, for example "how do you make sure your algae deoxydizers are kept filled at top priority?", "How do I make sure my toilets are emptied at top priority?". The answer is that you cannot, unless you have at least one dupe who has that particular task as their highest priority task. Your priority miner will take a sub-priority 1 mining task over a sub-priority 9 supply task and there's nothing you can do about it. I complained about this in the testing but to no avail it seems. Much better IMO if the tasks had been sorted by task priority first and then jobs within a priority band by dupe priority.

at least deodorizers are mentioned in the life support errand.  Not toilets.