Shipwrecked Update Sept 2015

Bigfoot

• Developer
Hello folks!

Last week we got the chance to reveal details about Don’t Starve Shipwrecked at PAX and on our Twitch Stream, Rhymes with Play. It’s always super fun showing our latest work to you and seeing the response for Shipwrecked in person at PAX was a huge pleasure. 

One of the reasons we love Rhymes with Play is that it gives us the opportunity to talk candidly about what we’re working on, and give you all a preview of what’s to come. While we’re happy that people enjoyed seeing the new content, we also saw concern about Shipwrecked being presented as a standalone game and I’d like to address that.

Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked has been in development for quite some time, and it really is something special. We originally discussed with Capy the concept of creating a whole new world for Wilson to explore, and because of that the direction steered toward it becoming a standalone game. Currently, the builds are quite different, and there is no way to bring items back and forth between the worlds, so we felt it would be odd to launch the game from Don’t Starve when they don’t interact.

However, after hearing your feedback, we agree that being able to experience both Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked under one roof is important. We’ve decided to go back and do more work. Here’s what we’ve planned:

• Shipwrecked is going to be a DLC instead of a standalone expansion.

• Players who own Shipwrecked can start either in Shipwrecked or in the base game world, and through some hard work, they will be able to travel between the two worlds.

• Players will be able to bring goods back and forth (with some effort).

Because Shipwrecked is its own world, with its own creatures, seasons, events, and balance, we feel it’s important to keep it a separate world similar to how the caves work currently. By doing the above, players can play one savegame and travel between the two and you won’t have to choose which executable to run.

Nathan (who runs Capy) and I go way back, and for both of us, it’s our tenth year doing this whole indie game studio gig. We thought it would be super rad if they created something in our world, and over the last year they’ve created something we think is really great, and I hope you think so too. 

As always, thanks for your great feedback, and especially for being great to each other. We don’t have all the answers yet, but please let me know if you have any questions!

F.A.Q.

Is Shipwrecked coming to other platforms?

We’re currently just concentrating on PC / Mac / Linux. We will look at other platforms in the future, but we don’t yet know how or when Shipwrecked will arrive right now. 

When can I play it?

We are currently targeting late Fall, but we have a lot of work to do! As usual, our priority is creating something great.

Do you need Reign of Giants in order to play Shipwrecked?

Players will need to own Don’t Starve, but not Reign of Giants, in order to play Shipwrecked.

Is it coming to Don’t Starve Together?

Shipwrecked was built separately from Don’t Starve Together, so it is not compatible with DST. We don’t really know right now if it will be ported over in the future.

I'm torn between being happy that Shipwrecked's going to be a part of the basegame and being embarrassed by the fact that the backlash was apparently that bad. Nice going/Sorry!

It wasn't bad. For the most part the feedback was thought out and constructive. We had already decided that we should reconsider well before people started arguing among themselves. =)

Shipwrecked was built separately from Don’t Starve Together, so it is not compatible with DST

I don't want to sound like a smart ass, but I am sure, that all three worlds, jungle/sea, caves and vanilla/ROG, can learn from each other. I mean over time their compatibility can converge while the three worlds grow or become more stable. It was always for me very strange, that there is this impassable border as the ocean. And since it is currently for singleplayer and there is no information for multiplayer-game, fans have to weigh up, if they like to play ROG with their friends or pirating without them.

But still, these two addons / DLCs have a lot in common. Combining them both will make Klei just super awesome - no question.

I saw shipwrecked the first time today. Its a great work!

Because Shipwrecked is its own world, with its own creatures, seasons, events, and balance, we feel it’s important to keep it a separate world similar to how the caves work currently. By doing the above, players can play one savegame and travel between the two and you won’t have to choose which executable to run.

So we're not gonna be able to customize the Shipwrecked part in worldgen? :frown:

I am midway excited about this, as I will probably just explore Shipwrecked mostly first, then I might go to RoG. Or I might just have 2 saves. Ah well, at least you guys found a way to meet in the middle and please everybody.

And I am very happy that I don't have to unlock all my characters again, so I can play as Webber from the start! Yay Webber!

let's just all hope you guys were thinking ahead and had entities and components in the proper order so that porting most all items to DST would be a breeze for ya! :razz:

(yeah... sorry... I'm thinking that far ahead xD)

but I am EXTREMELY happy that it's part of the base game! Because with caves being introduced to DST and shipwrecked working like the caves that means it most likely will come to DST sometime in the future rather than having a FORTH Don't Starve game named "ShipWrecked Together"

Klei, Capy... you guys are simply the best ! I posted the same idea few days ago here, I couldn't hope better !

Seriously guys, Don't Starve is one of the best game I've ever played and you just keep on upgrading it. It's just so awesome !

Thank you Klei, Thank you Capy, keep up the good work ! We love you !

Archived