Shipwrecked Update Sept 2015

Bigfoot

Can't say that I'm surprised. I had hoped this wouldn't be necessary. Hopefully, since they've apparently been considering this for a while, there won't be any drop in quality from the change in direction.

I think if there would have been a drop in quality by making it a dlc they would have sticked with the standalone design, I can't see them sacrificing the quality of their game even to satisfy the community.

I think it would be cool if we could transport things from the Shipwrecked world to the regular world but not the other way around!

Maybe we would build a boat in the main game and Wilson says something like "This ship is to poorly made, i cannot bring anything with me" and then something happens and we start the "Shipwrecked" game, shipwrecked. lol

What do you guys, and devs think about that?

Thank you for the update Jamie, and as always, hats off to all of you at Klei (and now Capy as well)! I'm sorry you have to go back and redo all these months of work, I'm sure that will be frustrating and time-consuming, but I truly do thank you for your dedication. You constantly reaffirm my belief in you all as amazing people who truly listen to and value your customers. It's not an easy balance, but you manage it, and do it with grace and composure. So thank you again, and my best wishes to all of you now and going forward. 

PS - I wasn't bothered one way or the other, but I admit, I'm pretty stoked that this will be a DLC rather than standalone. Why? Because it means more content to my #1 favorite game, plus the potential of a new and different DS2 in the future  :encouragement:

This is excellent!  When Shipwrecked was first hinted to, and then announced, I was very excited that single-player Don't Starve wasn't forgotten and would get some new content via DLC (like many others I assumed that was what was meant by 'expansion').  So much energy seems to have been focused on Don't Starve Together.  I know a lot of players love Together, it's just not the game for me.  The later clarification that it was supposed to be stand-alone did disappoint me, since it would fracture the single-player experience into two games rather than keep it whole.

So, I'm very grateful and happy that the plan has been reconsidered.  I'm more than willing to wait extra time for things to get retooled as needed so that Shipwrecked can be linked to Don't Starve.  Thank you, Klei  =)

*Raises hand*

I have a doubt. Since the Shipwrecked content will be reachable by boat from the base game and will also be more independent of it than the caves when regarding the reaching method, is it possible that a world that has existed before the SW Update would be able to generate the DLC's islands?

My gut tells me that it will not, but I really had to ask.

Guys Well done ! I believe you made a great choice by including it in the base game instead of a standalone version ! Can't wait for Shipwreck to be out ! There's gonna be so much new content out that playing SW will be a MUST for everyone ! 

Knowing that while I was planning the Underwater, you guys were planning the Overwater make me smile every time ! The perfect JOINT VENTURE !

Again CONGRATS !!

I had to add my thanks to the long list ahead of me.  I was starting to get a little bored with DS/RoG even though I've only been playing it for a bit over 3300 hours.  Now I have some new stuff to look forward to!  Klei is the best! 

Mind you, my family groaned when I excitedly told them about it.  Seems they miss me ....

I'm just imagining playing in Don't Starve RoG, and finding Wolly. And he's like, "Hey, I can get you out of here, just hop aboard my ship!" You board the ship and it plays an animation of you riding the ship, until suddenly a giant storm hits, and you get..... Shipwrecked!

Wake up on a beach with no items and start the SW game.  Likewise maybe if you start out in SW, the first time you travel to RoG you have to do something where you lose all your items as well. Basically you need to start from scratch in both worlds, then find and unlock some sort of portal from each side to make traveling safely between them easier. Just brainstorming, so excited for SW!

• Players who own Shipwrecked can start either in Shipwrecked or in the base game world, and through some hard work, they will be able to travel between the two worlds.

I'm really happy to see Shipwrecked included as a DLC.  When you say players can start in the "base game world", does that mean I can start a ROG world and travel to a SW world?

And - I realize this is a complicated question - will character mods playable in ROG, in general, be playable in SW, or will SW break compatibility on a fundamental level as DST does?

I'm really happy to see Shipwrecked included as a DLC.  When you say players can start in the "base game world", does that mean I can start a ROG world and travel to a SW world?

And - I realize this is a complicated question - will character mods playable in ROG, in general, be playable in SW, or will SW break compatibility on a fundamental level as DST does?

To the first question, yes, that's exactly what it means. However, I would choose "area" over "world". You start in a world in an RoG area and can make a boat to travel into a SW area.

On the second one, I think there will have to be some adaptation in the code for mods to work with SW, just like it happened with RoG, and not to a fundamental level as DST, since SW won't be standalone.

I am happy you kept it separated experience for those, who want to keep it separated. For example if I don't like to travel between worlds, I don't have to and stay just in the shipwrecked world :-). Thanks for making it viable for every play style.

Because not all players have that much time:

I've only been playing it for a bit over 3300 hours

So I'm grateful I can start directly in shipwrecked, not needing to play through DS to get to the new stuff :-)

I seriously wonder if in the future we can have a "single" most awesome experience with all DLC active at once and working at the same time in one world.

What would also be awesome for me is how Klei implements the transition over to Ship Wrecked in our world's...

Klei can we please travel through a skull portal to begin our adventures in Ship Wrecked!

Edit: just think about how awesome the experience would be if all DLC (caves doesn't count as it's underworld so having a transition over to caves is logical) were integrated so there were no transitions, no loading screens, no pausing between screens. It will just feel strange not being able to surf the water in Don't Starve and RoG. Could maybe that feature be implemented into Don't Starve and RoG so we can travel on water MINUS all the Ship Wrecked content?

Could maybe that feature be implemented into Don't Starve and RoG so we can travel on water MINUS all the Ship Wrecked content?

Interesting, but wouldn't we loose the unique style of the waves? The water in shepwrecked is/looks different so that we can sail it. And it is a big point in the style of the game. I'm not sure if it is posssible to merge that.

But maybe there will be an awesome solution to this?

I'm not sure if it is posssible to merge that.

There are many comments like this all around Shipwrecked news - if something is possible or not.

Well it is year 2015 and we have full computers of Pluto pictures like it was our moon. Also Klei just merged ruins with caves and put everything in DST. 

Everything is possible! .)

Interesting, but wouldn't we loose the unique style of the waves? The water in shepwrecked is/looks different so that we can sail it. And it is a big point in the style of the game. I'm not sure if it is posssible to merge that.

I've come up with an excellent answer to things like this. Not that I'm implying you are hinting at a mod....when I say this however :)

If a Modder can mod the Shipwrecked water effects into a Don't Starve/Reign of Giants world then the Klei Developers can easily do the same. 

*insert explosion for the win here*

Archived