Don't Starve: Shipwrecked - Coming This Fall

In your stream I heard this expansion will be standalone.

I totally understand that choice as this world has a tropical theme that doesn't fit next to the harsh and cold vanilla/ RoG world (along with gameplay changes).

But would it be possible that you combine both worlds quite similar to the caves implementation in don't starve?

You could maybe add a dock or anything else that allows travelling between the shipwrecked and vanilla world in separately generated maps. Another idea would be a whale that would appear occasionally - maybe induced by the player? - that could eat you, take you to the other map and spit you out.

I had exactly the same idea, it would be nice to navigate between both worlds. But I think the seasons in Shipwrecked will not behave in the same way. My guess is that winter could be easier on the Shipwrecked's islands than on the vanilla map, and it could affect the difficulty of the whole game.

And if Shipwrecked maps behave as caves, it could be an other difficulty to merge Shipwrecked on DST in a near future.

But I think you're idea is quite good, it's just a lot more challenging for Klei (balance difficulty, handle differents inventory, etc...).

I had exactly the same idea, it would be nice to navigate between both worlds. But I think the seasons in Shipwrecked will not behave in the same way. My guess is that winter could be easier on the Shipwrecked's islands than on the vanilla map, and it could affect the difficulty of the whole game.

And if Shipwrecked maps behave as caves, it could be an other difficulty to merge Shipwrecked on DST in a near future.

But I think you're idea is quite good, it's just a lot more challenging for Klei (balance difficulty, handle differents inventory, etc...).

I kind of fell in love with my whale idea :love-struck: This could be a rare event that occurs only once per year.

This would make hopping between the easy seasons impossible as you would need to spend at least one full year in the current world.

When I talked about caves I just wanted to say that both world don't need to be connected in 1 map, so you could still keep the option to play shipwrecked as a totally standalone game.

When I talked about caves I just wanted to say that both world don't need to be connected in 1 map, so you could still keep the option to play shipwrecked as a totally standalone game.

Why not simply use a special kind of wormhole. There could be a large (e.g. "older") wormhole connecting the two worlds/maps with each other. This mechanic could even work for future expansions with even stranger themes/biomes.  

With new playable characters, biomes

Is anyone else thinking "Wilbur" very loudly?

Wilbur_portrait.png

Although, I do think Wallace would be an amazing pick also, or maybe the one I've been craving to play as since I saw its art, Wortox, which also gets me thinking...

duFo1uR.png

In the list of unimplemented or speculated characters, the only characters that have in-game models are Wilton, Wortox and Winnie. Wortox also suffered changes a long time ago, and, some more time before that, it used to appear when you were at XP Cap. Aside from that, I just can't help it that his art looks more recent than the others', and I really, really want to play as him.

Could someone from Klei explain this partnership a little more? What exactly does that mean? Why do you need to get someone else's help for this project? What is Capy doing as a part of this? Are they actually designing or programming the game or just doing art or music or marketing or something?

Forgot to add but I just saw this on youtube randomly a bit of early limited play from starsnipe on youtube and I'm glad I saw it. I wasn't a big fan of reign of giants, but shipwrecked looks very nice visually. I love the whole tropical island theme being put into don't starve and the feature of going on a boat to find new islands seems really cool. I also see a couple of new items and maybe new creatures coming is always a good thing so I can't wait till it comes out. Will this be compatible with Don't Starve Together by any chance?

@Klei hi guys

It has been 2 months since this announcement. Do we get some new videos, pictures or news about Shipwrecked? Or is it too soon? At least some info about development to feed the Shipwrecked hype? .)

EDIT: since DST caves/ruins are finally out and looks stable you have now more time for everything else?

Forgot to add but I just saw this on youtube randomly a bit of early limited play from starsnipe on youtube and I'm glad I saw it. I wasn't a big fan of reign of giants, but shipwrecked looks very nice visually. I love the whole tropical island theme being put into don't starve and the feature of going on a boat to find new islands seems really cool. I also see a couple of new items and maybe new creatures coming is always a good thing so I can't wait till it comes out. Will this be compatible with Don't Starve Together by any chance?

So starsnipe was able to get some pre-release content?  How does one sign up for this?  I am a HUGE DS fan and really would like to make a series out of this.  I'm a teeeny tiiiny channel right now, so I know I don't garner the attention of the big guys, but it would be nice to have a crack at this.

Archived