[Game Update] - 288927

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

High-end materials can now be used as Raw Metal as well as Refined Metal.

Does this mean what I hope it means?

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Meteors now emit CO2 instead of Rock Gas to prevent small bits of ore from accumulating
  • Regolith Meteors now only stack regolith to a certain depth.

Fantastic news!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, R9MX4 said:

Door pump is still necessary for steam turbine. Or we have to build 20 gas pumps to keep pressure.

It is not one or the other, never really was. The alternatives were always just a bit too annoying to build. Now, not necessarily.

1 hour ago, R9MX4 said:

Looks like now we can set up aquatuner in a steam turbine chamber to delete infinite heat. And with some old tricks, maybe we can use tepidizer to as a heat source for steam turbine to get infinite power.

+200: Abyssalite, Ceramic, Steel, Diamond,

From one point it is a good thing, from another - it becomes too easy to delete massive amounts of heat. Steam turbine is already a cheat that provides more cooling then power, cooling part doesn't need more of a boost... I hope devs will add passive radiating of heat to space and nerf/rebalance turbine in some way (make blades inside deterioate? require input of cool water from side along with hot steam from bottom?).

Edited by AndreyKl

1 hour ago, MRE_ said:

Is anyone else crashing constantly when selecting a new type of building to build? At least in sandbox mode? 

Yep, just using debug mode is causing it too.  Hopefully will be fixed quickly because I really want to experiment with using high-end building materials on low-tier stuff!

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Steel pumps are now 275°C. Thermite will give you 975°C. You are not going to be able to pump up magma, but everything else is a breeze.

Excellent. Now I can finally dump my 230C crude oil from cooling (and from a heat-leak in the magma biome) irresponsibly into space!

25 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

Tepidizer shenanigans have... Retuuuurned...! :D

Melt clay into ceramic.. the FUN way!

TepidizerShenanigans1.thumb.jpg.e3aa62a23a1b74f7017708fb54c9f030.jpg

3.png.e600ffe1d3f8561cb8611b44705e3979.p

I suggest this one

The water can be replaced by any kind of liquid. Make sure it's more than 400kg and colder than 85C.

The block directly above the water is vacuum.

57 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

Won't you lose half the ceramic you would have obtain by using a classic kiln, for the same clay mass ?

3 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

From one point it is a good thing, from another - it becomes too easy to delete massive amounts of heat. Steam turbine is already a cheat that provides more cooling then power, cooling part doesn't need more of a boost... I hope devs will add passive radiating of heat to space and nerf/rebalance turbine in some way (make blades inside deterioate? require input of cool water from side along with hot steam from bottom?).

It tickles me a little that you seem talking of heat deletion as an easy, too easy mechanic, while in the same time other players rely on and defend so much fix temperatures output exploits, like the water sieves or the carbon skimmer or even both in a loop (very easy to put an oil biome at 40°C that way). Same thing goes for fix building temperatures (like the tempshifplates, with igneous rock or mafic rock). And not all map got some slush geysers to rely on. So a building effectively removing some heat with a bit of reflexion, I think it is a must-have for the gameplay. Unlike those fix temperatures things aberrations that I hope will disappear in the next few months.

So my point is, let's not talk about steam turbine heat removal balancing without talking about the whole, really whole heat environment system.

Edited by Caochu
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

3.png.e600ffe1d3f8561cb8611b44705e3979.p

I suggest this one

The water can be replaced by any kind of liquid. Make sure it's more than 400kg and colder than 85C.

The block directly above the water is vacuum.

Haha!  Great idea!  It even seems if you pour liquid on top of the tepidizer, it won't care what temperature that liquid becomes.  It just keeps reading from the stuff that's under the 85C temperature.

TepidizerShenanigans2.thumb.jpg.daf0c4a75f7eb118bf31f31db1fd61d7.jpg

Unfortunately, it'll stop working after a reload due to this bug I found two months ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caochu said:
3 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

Won't you lose half the ceramic you would have obtain by using a classic kiln, for the same clay mass ?

But it won't cost you any Coal in the transition.  You can instead spend the Coal for producing Power, which can go for things other than just the Tepidizer.  Not sure how the math shakes out on that, where the Coal is more effectively spent.

Though, if we're building out of Thermite, a Space Age material, crafting Ceramic is probably in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

But it won't cost you any Coal in the transition.  You can instead spend the Coal for producing Power, which can go for things other than just the Tepidizer.  Not sure how the math shakes out on that, where the Coal is more effectively spent.

Though, if we're building out of Thermite, a Space Age material, crafting Ceramic is probably in the past.

Right on!  It was mostly just a test to see if it worked.  I never actually said it was practical, just that it was FUN! :D  Of course, I wouldn't really care all that much about a 50% loss of the clay.  There's so much of the stuff on the map and you can manufacture it from regolith and deodorizers basically forever.

On the other hand, now that I know that clay can, in fact, just be baked into ceramic, I can envision making a machine with a proper thermal exchanger to mass produce ceramic using the heat from a volcano.  It would be similar in vein to a regolith melter.  The only issue is that the process produces solid tiles after the conversion.  But, we do now have the robo-miner so converted ceramic can be auto-dug and picked up by a sweeper.  The heat exchanger won't work as nicely due to the 50% mass loss though.  But, at least, some kind of machine can be built to make ceramic without the kiln.  The kiln will certainly be more space efficient though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

But, at least, some kind of machine can be built to make ceramic without the kiln.  The kiln will certainly be more space efficient though.

The larger issues with Kilns are the throughput and that Coal cost.  If you can get a higher rate of production by bypassing the Kiln, that's progress.  But since we will no longer be able to build out of Abyssalite, it's a bit of a chicken/egg problem.

15 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Interesting if all the dead was just caused by them not laying eggs rather than overheating. 

Someone did a test in another thread. Found the Shove Vole was fine when he (or she) broke into space. Checked back 4 cycles later, and half were dead already and the remain had a body temperature of 180C. Two cycles later and every single one was dead.

Edited by Saturnus

According to the ingame  liveable is -200 to 200.   so yea-  they'll eventually die from the heat. 

kind of annoying you can't contain them. they basically go through the walls.

but yea I did a test and they die from the high heat   turns to meat.

might want to bring this question / issue up with dev during stream tomorrow.    

Edited by RonEmpire

36 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

might want to bring this question / issue up with dev during stream tomorrow.  

In the latest build there are no shove voles (they don't spawn in newly created world), so maybe wait a bit with your pressing question.