The Community - what happened?

TL;DR: What happened to the community? Are people normally this rude? What can I do about this?

-----

Seeing that Forge is going to end soon, I thought I come here to post this. I've been an on/off player for DST - and with the introduction of Forge I thought it would be a great time to see what new things were added for DST. I play alone most of the time (sometimes my RL friends will join), so please do pardon my ignorance for what I want to say next.

What happened to the community? Was it always this bad?

I know not everyone is horrible - I met some really nice people who were really friendly (I can name a few of the top of my head - I'll gladly put their names here if I am allowed to). But generally, from lvl1 all the way to lvl70+ I've only been met with mostly rude/angry/toxic/etc people.

I remember my first few games, where some high level people would tell me very rudely to leave the room just because I used 'Quick Match' (I still remember the line used: "we want high level people, not an idiot who doesn't know how to play").

I was lucky enough to get pass what I deemed as the 'hell levels' (from lvl1 to approx lvl20), where I started to meet the criteria for majority of the rooms ("20+ only" or "25+ only" etc). I thought the community would get better because - high level people, right? I wish I could say I was right.

I can safely say that the last 10-20 games I played always ended up with...

• Someone blaming other people for something out of their control ("The pig hit you so you can't meteor the pigs? ****ing useless idiot piece of **** go to hell")
  • Bullying ("Pls leave lvl__, we don't need you and you suck so bad.")
  • Giving 'constructive feedback' to help games move smoothly ("You stupid retard, why did you stand there?")
  • Being completely silent until the very last minute, when the team is clearly going to lose, they butt in and say "useless team"
    • I remember meeting a skin farmer - totally silent fella who didn't listen to anyone because he was ALT+TAB+F (makes you attack non-stop while you do something else like watch YouTube). When he came back and found that our team had died at Boarrior, he screamed we're all useless people and that we should have won.
  • So many more scenarios - I lost count

In fact, I see the above scenarios happen way more often as the levels go higher and higher. Just recently (03/12/2017, I played with some lvl90s-110s and by god, they were the most saltiest people (if they started a salt company, they'd be billionaires in a year)).

What can I do to avoid all this? I get enough salt in my daily diet.

I am sorry for ranting - I'm lucky not to be on the receiving end of the saltiness, but I really hate to see other people get scolded/screamed at.

The Forge had you interact with more people, so of course you saw more of the unsavory types. I've seen some salty people, some that were really bossy, some that were afk'ing/alt tabbing fighting for us to do the work for them, and I even had one chick go after me for an entire match cause I defended a Maxwell that she was insulting first. But, most matches the people were quiet or nice. The bad ones just stick out cause they're the ones that rile you up.

Even with the bad apples, I'd say the Forge was a lot nicer than almost any other game I have played with other people.

That's the nature of "requiring" everyone to be on the same page to accomplish a goal - when things click it's wonderful, but when they don't it gets ugly.

Due to the time passed in the event and the different paces people have gone at it's not as easy to tell who's nice besides having playing with them before. And even though it's not fair, level discrimination does seem to net more victories without constantly having to teach others what to do.

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

Just stick to the people you know and if they're being jerks, ignore them. The forum is different compared to the actual players in the game. You get to know which ones are fun to play with.

I try my best to stick to them - at least I don't have to worry about being screamed at and I have a good person to talk to.

I do agree that the forums are really friendly :) - I've lurk around here and I see some really fun post (I remember the 'wigfrid is op' thread; couldn't stop laughing at that one and I occasionally re-read that thread when I'm down).

5 hours ago, VexTheHex said:

The Forge had you interact with more people, so of course you saw more of the unsavory types. I've seen some salty people, some that were really bossy, some that were afk'ing/alt tabbing fighting for us to do the work for them, and I even had one chick go after me for an entire match cause I defended a Maxwell that she was insulting first. But, most matches the people were quiet or nice. The bad ones just stick out cause they're the ones that rile you up.

Even with the bad apples, I'd say the Forge was a lot nicer than almost any other game I have played with other people.

That's very true. When I wrote this post, I was just angry as hell.

You're right - Forge is a lot nicer. I watch my friends play the MOBA genre and I am really glad I never took a fancy to that genre. I can't imagine coming home after a stressful day of work only to get more stress w/ people screaming at your over a headset.

5 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Usually, pubs with high level requirements (70+, 100+, etc) are less toxic than usual. From my experience, it's the level 20-50 players that are the most toxic to play with.

I actually find the 70+ lobbies toxic. I actively avoid them if possible. I find that the 40-50 range are much nicer and calmer. Each to their own :).

3 hours ago, HamBatter said:

That's the nature of "requiring" everyone to be on the same page to accomplish a goal - when things click it's wonderful, but when they don't it gets ugly.

Due to the time passed in the event and the different paces people have gone at it's not as easy to tell who's nice besides having playing with them before. And even though it's not fair, level discrimination does seem to net more victories without constantly having to teach others what to do.

Maybe in the next event there shouldn't be a level system? Based on what I experienced in Forge, the level system just seems to encourage more bullying and splitting of the community.

8 hours ago, Solestaire said:

TL;DR: What happened to the community?

Nothing.

Are people normally this rude?

In a sense.

The way the forge works, an uncooperative player is a burden, you're better off playing as 5. Winning in a pub is generally rather difficult and requires people to actually try to win, which they often don't.

This leads to a lot of frustrating, and so people are rude.

What can I do about this?

Find a group of people you're comfortable with.

TL;DR: What happened to the community? Are people normally this rude? What can I do about this?

-----

Seeing that Forge is going to end soon, I thought I come here to post this. I've been an on/off player for DST - and with the introduction of Forge I thought it would be a great time to see what new things were added for DST. I play alone most of the time (sometimes my RL friends will join), so please do pardon my ignorance for what I want to say next.

I know not everyone is horrible - I met some really nice people who were really friendly (I can name a few of the top of my head - I'll gladly put their names here if I am allowed to). But generally, from lvl1 all the way to lvl70+ I've only been met with mostly rude/angry/toxic/etc people.

I remember my first few games, where some high level people would tell me very rudely to leave the room just because I used 'Quick Match' (I still remember the line used: "we want high level people, not an idiot who doesn't know how to play").

I was lucky enough to get pass what I deemed as the 'hell levels' (from lvl1 to approx lvl20), where I started to meet the criteria for majority of the rooms ("20+ only" or "25+ only" etc). I thought the community would get better because - high level people, right? I wish I could say I was right.

• Someone blaming other people for something out of their control ("The pig hit you so you can't meteor the pigs? ****ing useless idiot piece of **** go to hell")
  • Giving 'constructive feedback' to help games move smoothly ("You stupid retard, why did you stand there?")
  • Being completely silent until the very last minute, when the team is clearly going to lose, they butt in and say "useless team"
    • I remember meeting a skin farmer - totally silent fella who didn't listen to anyone because he was ALT+TAB+F (makes you attack non-stop while you do something else like watch YouTube). When he came back and found that our team had died at Boarrior, he screamed we're all useless people and that we should have won.

In fact, I see the above scenarios happen way more often as the levels go higher and higher. Just recently (03/12/2017, I played with some lvl90s-110s and by god, they were the most saltiest people (if they started a salt company, they'd be billionaires in a year)).

I am sorry for ranting - I'm lucky not to be on the receiving end of the saltiness, but I really hate to see other people get scolded/screamed at.

I think...It's not DST, but just Forge.

Forge is...A tedious experience. It's the same thing over and over again, where it takes forever to get to the actual hard part where you die. (when the Boarrior spawn). It's really challenging, and it's not fun because of one main reason, and I think this is why you are getting toxic players:

THE MATCHMAKING SUCKS

If you want to play with friends, but don't have enough to fill out the six slots. You can't create a private server, because then you'll have less players. You have to make a public server, and that's where things gets frustrating and stop being fun.

Coordinating multiple players, asking them to quickly join a public server before it gets filled is so annoying. And then when it gets filled, and your friends can't join because some stranger has taken their place and they refuse to leave...That's where I start to get angry.

I think forge is special, because of the pressure and the fact that it's a "long" event that you can't pause, so people could stress more easily than in a normal game (when you could make a break if you need to, when being alone isn't a problem, ...)

The community isn't totally "better" outside of forge, but people have more space for playing the way they want, the character they want, and especially, playing with whoever they want.

2 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I think...It's not DST, but just Forge.

Forge is...A tedious experience. It's the same thing over and over again, where it takes forever to get to the actual hard part where you die. (when the Boarrior spawn). It's really challenging, and it's not fun because of one main reason, and I think this is why you are getting toxic players:

THE MATCHMAKING SUCKS

If you want to play with friends, but don't have enough to fill out the six slots. You can't create a private server, because then you'll have less players. You have to make a public server, and that's where things gets frustrating and stop being fun.

Coordinating multiple players, asking them to quickly join a public server before it gets filled is so annoying. And then when it gets filled, and your friends can't join because some stranger has taken their place and they refuse to leave...That's where I start to get angry.

...You go on public servers and ask people to leave so your friends can join?  What an incredibly rude and selfish thing to do.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

I think forge is special, because of the pressure and the fact that it's a "long" event that you can't pause, so people could stress more easily than in a normal game (when you could make a break if you need to, when being alone isn't a problem, ...)

The community isn't totally "better" outside of forge, but people have more space for playing the way they want, the character they want, and especially, playing with whoever they want.

@spideswine has the right of it, you’re a little off.  In the forge the team can easily lose based on whoever the worst player is.  This reasonably makes people mad because it’s clear who caused the loss and especially if the village idiot grabs critical equipment they can be nigh-impossible to carry to victory.

In contrast normal DST is how you described it.  One good player can carry multiple bad ones with little effort, and thus I personally don’t remotely care which character anyone chooses or if they’re any good because it doesn’t negatively affect me at all.

10 minutes ago, Toros said:

...You go on public servers and ask people to leave so your friends can join?  What an incredibly rude and selfish thing to do.

I think the implication was they created the server for their friends to join, but made it public because there were less than six.

I always play dst alone because I want to be away from community (I'm talking about the "in game community" not you guys on forum)

The Forge really showed me that this was a smart desicion.

Everyone toxic and level gaps (which I have to addmit are a necessary thing or else only steam group friends would win). Don't even get me started on servers themselves. The developers (at least from what i know) wanted community to speak English on forums so i guess they also wanted us to stick to English in game. But omg E V E RY     S I N G L E      S E R V E R was in Russian or in Polish. The sytuation was so bad that people started making servers named ,,Speak English" ,,No Russian" etc. I have met so many types of people that really had me wishing there was a kick option. They were trolls that go to a server and just afk in there. Not even pick a character, just afk so the game won't start. So yeah I've made a meme in the meme thread talking about how after getting all achivments you're free. And that meme was strait out of my heart.

11 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

I think the implication was they created the server for their friends to join, but made it public because there were less than six.

I understand that, but since he’s not hosting Squirrels is inconveniencing a random player because his strategy is bad and his friends are slow.

14 hours ago, Solestaire said:

-----

You forgot the argument a large portion of Forge people use to say something is not good enough, etc. For some reason, some players think "bad" players need to be compared to homosexual people or with a different sexual orientation. People, pls, being bad at the game or making a mistake has nothing to do with being gay or whatever. This has nothing to do with anything. Ugh. 

A note on low level people in high level rooms. That needs a bit of explaining. I actually made a thread that touches upon this, although not directly when I asked for a vote kick option. 

When you are in higher levels, you sometime just wanna win the game and farm experience. I personally have done my fare share helping other players out in the Forge and sometimes I'm just not in the mood of explaining how things work. That's why I respectfully ask people to leave if they are underleveled. I don't insult them, just ask politely if they pls can leave.

If I'm not in the mood of explaining things, I create clear titles for my rooms and also passwords that actually say "IamLevel80+" or "ISwearIamLevel80+," so it is clear intent from underleveled people they just aren't welcome in that specific room. I consider per se a sort of ****ty thing to enter a room when you already know are violating the rules of that room.

Most of the time, it's all about trolls as I mentioned before in my thread, problem which could have been easily solved if we had a vote kick botton. Most of the time, this ends in the creator of the room has to abandon it and create another one, which is completely ridiculous IMO.

However, there are some cases of underleveled people joining that out right ask if they can stay. And that gesture says A LOT IMO. It makes a huge difference to me if people show respect to others and ask and not just get in and expect others to powerlevel them and be ok with that or just staying in a corner to farm xp from others or going afk or actively getting the team killed. I accept people asking to stay almost all the time, with the exception of people on very low levels. In my experience, people that ask are around 10 levels down and mostly nice people.

I think the matchmaking could be done a bit better to avoid both Squirrel's and OP's cases. Namely, Reserved Slots and Server Types. Reserved Slots is pretty self-explanatory: make a public server, request slots be reserved to friends of the host, if a friend leaves, said slot becomes public, or if host leaves, all slots turn public. Nextly, server types: Pretty much an edited version of the current normal-worlds game types (Casual, Cooperative, Competitive, Madness) but for Forge. Casual, let people know you're playing for fun, Competitive, you're playing to win and should be expected to do so, Cooperative, you're probably going for achievements, Madness, you're probably trying to win an All-Maxwell run.

9 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

I think the matchmaking could be done a bit better to avoid both Squirrel's and OP's cases. Namely, Reserved Slots and Server Types. Reserved Slots is pretty self-explanatory: make a public server, request slots be reserved to friends of the host, if a friend leaves, said slot becomes public, or if host leaves, all slots turn public. Nextly, server types: Pretty much an edited version of the current normal-worlds game types (Casual, Cooperative, Competitive, Madness) but for Forge. Casual, let people know you're playing for fun, Competitive, you're playing to win and should be expected to do so, Cooperative, you're probably going for achievements, Madness, you're probably trying to win an All-Maxwell run.

id think these server types aren't the best solutions really. It also makes no difference in public servers. Trolls don't care about that.

More costumization for room creation was actually deeply lacking. Like numbers of players, accesibility (private, friends only) and ofc vote kick.

I think you can scratch "quick match," it's just a bad idea cuz some rooms have specific strats or ideas and if you get there in a quick match it defies the purpose of creating your own rules for the room unless you had it with password.

3 hours ago, Toros said:

I agree. I think that it's conceptually a ****ty thing to do asking people to leave cuz friends wants to join. It's simply disrespectful. 

I would like an option to enable/disable password or stuff like this. So for example i could put a password, wait for my friend to join, then open the server. Or put a password, open the server, and if suddently a friend is saying that he want to play, close the server so he could be sure to have a slot, stuff like this.

6 hours ago, spideswine said:

Winning in a pub is generally rather difficult and requires people to actually try to win, which they often don't.

This is not entirely true in my experience. If you are low level, then this might be true most of the time, but the higher the level, the nicer the people in my experience and the higher the chances of winning.

6 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

This is not entirely true in my experience. If you are low level, then this might be true most of the time, but the higher the level, the nicer the people in my experience and the higher the chances of winning.

I don't know, define lower level.

I recall things being somewhat ok when everyone was 70+, though sample size was also rather small.

40+ things were still horrible.

Just now, spideswine said:

I don't know, define lower level.

I recall things being somewhat ok when everyone was 70+, though sample size was also rather small.

40+ things were still horrible.

low level IMO is under 30

and yeap level 70+ is kinda the magic number when people don't have achievements and you can just play the game.

true, some people in level 40 aren't perfect in their roles or they have to take roles they aren't very comfortable with and people seem to just simply insult in case of failure instead of giving advice, which is kinda the point of the Forge IMO.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

low level IMO is under 30

and yeap level 70+ is kinda the magic number when people don't have achievements and you can just play the game.

true, some people in level 40 aren't perfect in their roles or they have to take roles they aren't very comfortable with and people seem to just simply insult in case of failure instead of giving advice, which is kinda the point of the Forge IMO.

I wouldn't say "aren't perfect in their roles", more like "often do moronic ****".

Thing is people don't take advice well anyway, so I don't feel that's the point of the forge really.

Just now, spideswine said:

like "often do moronic ****".

And that's exactly the kind of energy and language that makes the forge so toxic.

How about insulting people or telling "you morron, etc" we say "hey pls do/don't this or that."

2 minutes ago, spideswine said:

I don't feel that's the point of the forge really.

hmmm.. as far as I'm concerned it's about playing TOGETHER and part of the "togetherness" is agreeing on strats, etc. meaning, taking advice is an important part of that.

Archived