The Community - what happened?

7 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

And that's exactly the kind of energy and language that makes the forge so toxic.

Sure, but how do you expect people to react when willow takes infernal staff in a team with maxwell with it, decides that she's also gonna be the one juggling the boarilla, and when you tell her "drop the firestaff you won't make optimal use of it" she replies with "Yes I will, I won't drop the firestaff until you give me a valid reason to drop it".

9 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

How about insulting people or telling "you morron, etc" we say "hey pls do/don't this or that."

They take both more or less the same.

hmmm.. as far as I'm concerned it's about playing TOGETHER and part of the "togetherness" is agreeing on strats, etc. meaning, taking advice is an important part of that.

Sounds great on paper, people in pubs rarely bother listening to anyone though.

1 hour ago, spideswine said:

Sure, but how do you expect people to react when willow takes infernal staff in a team with maxwell with it, decides that she's also gonna be the one juggling the boarilla, and when you tell her "drop the firestaff you won't make optimal use of it" she replies with "Yes I will, I won't drop the firestaff until you give me a valid reason to drop it".

They take both more or less the same.

Sounds great on paper, people in pubs rarely bother listening to anyone though.

if you insult people they are less likely to follow advice.

You're just gonna have to come across a couple jerks every once in a while. Part of the problem is that this event is for a limited time only, so people would want a perfect team so they could get the most out of the event before it ends.

My advice: Play with friends or polite fellows you've met before.

14 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Gotta say I have no regrets about sitting the whole thing out. 

I think it's a shame cuz the Forge is pretty cool. Not all people are terrible and I've meet a lot of cool people thanks to the Forge.

Criticizing something without experiencing it is ... dunno.. a bit meh.

The Forge just needed some adjustments to prevent trolls taking over servers and other measures, but as an event overall it's a big success in my book. The important thing now is just opening the discussion for improvements, so the devs can implement better ideas for future events.

The Forge just needed some adjustments to prevent trolls taking over servers and other measures

agree

giving votekick to everyone wasn't good, but giving it to some (first on server or 20+ days) seem to be good enough for survival, so why not give some powers to the one who initiated a room?

if there's one thing i learned in this event is that people should just ask "nicely"

it's as if people are more willing to listen and follow "what to do" if people ask nicely.

Like cmon guys...if you ask that wigfrid to swap armor with the woodie near the end, they'll do it. or ask that willow to stick to darts while wicker charges up a staff. People just need to learn to ask nicely and not be a rude butt about it, people are more willing to listen and followthrough. though if theres one thing i wish there was, was a option for server owners to turn on a kick (or a afk kick) to counter trolls. or maybe have server owners only be able to initiate a kick?

Basically my point is I hope by next event people will learn to just be nice to people, even lowlevels. We all were low levels at the start of the event. People need to just chill out and get along. but..yknow how  them bideo grams are.

2 hours ago, spideswine said:

ez... just don't insult... "willow pls give staff to max ty" "willow stay with group," etc

it takes the same time you'd say "willow you ******* morron, you ******* suck" but it has a different effect. 

basic communication 101

9 minutes ago, spideswine said:

I for one, hope that by the next event pigs will grow wings and learn how to fly, will save me time in traffic.

jeez you are a basket of positive aura, are you?

5 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

ez... just don't insult... "willow pls give staff to max ty" "willow stay with group," etc

since when is "You won't make optimal use of it" or "You can use darts, maxwell will just do nothing without the staff", an insult?

it takes the same time you'd say "willow you ******* morron, you ******* suck" but it has a different effect. 

basic communication 101

generally both of them have no effect.

basic internet (lack there of) communication 101

jeez you are a basket of positive aura, are you?

You're right, I should be delusional instead.

You and I both know there's no way that's gonna happen, why is me not being delusional make me negative?

6 hours ago, Szczuku said:

The developers (at least from what i know) wanted community to speak English on forums so i guess they also wanted us to stick to English in game. But omg E V E RY     S I N G L E      S E R V E R was in Russian or in Polish. The sytuation was so bad that people started making servers named ,,Speak English" ,,No Russian" etc.

English appears preferred on the forums for support reasons, but the game is meant to be played by people of all languages. You see more Russians because there are more Russians, it's not actually a problem except for a lack of a language filter.

55 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

if you insult people they are less likely to follow advice.

There are a fair share of players who don't know how to use the tools at their disposal and blame others because they think they played optimally. There's nothing you can do but walk away.

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think it's a shame cuz the Forge is pretty cool. Not all people are terrible and I've meet a lot of cool people thanks to the Forge.

Criticizing something without experiencing it is ... dunno.. a bit meh.

I’m not criticizing it, I’m just saying I’ve heard and seen nothing to make me regret not playing it. I’ve watched some streams to see what it’s like, but I find combat boring, and that’s all the Forge is. Even with a perfect team it wouldn’t really interest me, but the idea of having to deal with the frustrations of randos on top of the whole thing seeming kind of pointless to me—what do you get for all that trouble?— Is not giving me any second thoughts. 

I don’t begrudge other players the experience because many people obviously find it fun. That’s fine. I’m glad they got an event they enjoyed (and maybe will stop clamoring for ever more boss fights in the main game?). But I really hope whatever event they do next will not be just one long tedious fight but a varied and flexible opportunity to use creatively a variety of survival skills and strats, like adventure mode in single player. People like me just have to be patient and wait for that. I mean, I could start multiple long-winded, poorly-supported, self-centered tantrum threads about how DST is going to the dogs because my personal preferences are not being catered to, but I figure we already have enough of those.

51 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I’m not criticizing it, I’m just saying I’ve heard and seen nothing to make me regret not playing it.

I think it's wise. If you don't like the main points of the event and the risk of toxicity, it's better to avoid it, rather than playing something that will create frustration.

It require some will, not everyone can do this.

23 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

...Ok buddy.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, JoeW said:

Matches are played on official Klei servers that are available only during the event. There are no community hosted servers during this event. 

I can't imagine what it's like to be wrong about so many things with such frequency.

6 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I was hosting dumb dumb.

Public means that the server doesn't have a password. Not a Klei hosted server.

"New free on-demand dedicated event servers (Forge Only)." - source

I thought was well known that all Forge servers are dedicated, provided by Klei. Thus, except for the case in which you use a hidden-password server, all these servers are per se public serves (again: even the ones with password, but written in description so that your dedicated server won't go into Quick Matchmaking rotation). Your argumentation/premise is erroneous.

Sure you can ask joining people to leave for whatever reason, won't be nice, but whatever. With this you will not be, regarding OP, part of the solution, but of said problem. Also helps to be polite, in game and here as well.

As for "The Community - what happened?" - the more people you get (as game popularity raised over the years), more "bad seeds" will appear too. Plus fighting games usually attract more belligerent, easily irritable folks.

Awful people are in every community, just let them be an example of how NOT to communicate in teams. A few examples would be the guys yelling profanities at their teammates, the micromanager who spends 90% of the time telling players what to do via typing, the stubborn player who takes no orders, and ones who simply don't care.

The players that bother me the most are the namecallers and micromanagers. I had an incident just yesterday where some level 90+ joined our public stream server with a mix of level 10-50 players. After gloating that they were the highest level and calling us noobs, the player tries to micromanage everything we do. They constantly stood still to tell us what to do, died the most times in the process, got flak from several teammates, then left after Scorpeon phase. The Forge has a general strategy per role/wave, if you've played a lot of forge then you'll know what I mean. Unfortunately the unsavory folks do not know a casual game from a serious game. The level 90+ player we played with was an awful tank, as a WX they could not demonstrate dodging Scorpeon Acid let alone the basic skills that come with a tank role, yet they still choose to type messages instead of focusing on themselves.

The bottom line for these bad teammates is that they need to understand that not every game is serious. The fundamentals of The Forge should also be understood before thinking of advanced strategies. The game at its best can be trivial yet fun, but at its worst it is difficult and infuriating. In the worst case scenario, wait for the game to end if you want to chew a teammate out! Don't let an idiot hold your game hostage.

...Of course, there is always the possibility that a player is just a plain jerk, there's no cure for that! ;^)

I'm new to using forums, so please pardon me if I seem quiet, especially since I'm the OP.

Thank you all for the advice. The Forge is now over, but in the next event (or maybe even in DST public), I'll try looking for those nice people again :).

I just wish there was something I could do about it apart from outright leaving the lobby and praying I don't encounter horrible people in my next game or have to actively look for the same people to play with (it's not that I mind looking for them - I'm just a person who likes meet at new people).

12 hours ago, HamBatter said:

English appears preferred on the forums for support reasons, but the game is meant to be played by people of all languages. You see more Russians because there are more Russians, it's not actually a problem except for a lack of a language filter.

if that was the only reason, this forum would be as populated with russians as forge is

Spoiler

you may argue, that if you are from eu, you don't look at american servers with ping 133+ and forum has no meaning for latency, but even tripling population of russian forumites won't make it barely comparable, the more probable reason of that is lack of education

Spoiler

i'd be really happy if i was wrong though

9 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

"New free on-demand dedicated event servers (Forge Only)." - source

I thought was well known that all Forge servers are dedicated, provided by Klei. Thus, except for the case in which you use a hidden-password server, all these servers are per se public serves (again: even the ones with password, but written in description so that your dedicated server won't go into Quick Matchmaking rotation). Your argumentation/premise is erroneous.

Ugh.

I'm not arguing the technicalities.

My point is that I started a server (I named it specifically). So while technically not my server, it still should be. It would have been a private server, if we had had enough players, we didn't, so we had to go public.

As for the OP, there should be a way to votekick people. That way you won't get people harassing you to leave.

58 minutes ago, brbrmensch said:

if that was the only reason, this forum would be as populated with russians as forge is

What kind of person is going to navigate forums in a different language to post in a language that is not likely to be understood nor part of a subforum?

Every now and then there are attempts to get a bug report in via a translator, but one is more likely to participate in a community if there are others one can communicate with. That's why you see them in game.

I probably spend nearly as much time watching streams of DST as actually playing. (It’s relaxing.) I recently watched a Forge stream where a bunch of folks from different streams I watch ended up in a match together, and listening to them snap at each other was kind of a bummer. I do think the format of the Forge fosters a certain testiness. Maybe it’s the same qualities that people find fun, but I gotta say, as a spectator, I’m not going to miss it one bit.

Archived