i know this has been said before, and i know that they dont add it to DST because of marketing and profit from the original DS, but i would like to know more reasons from the devs of why they wont add it to DST, or at least know if they even plan in doing so.

1 minute ago, ZolaRay said:

i know this has been said before, and i know that they dont add it to DST because of marketing and profit from the original DS, but i would like to know more reasons from the devs of why they wont add it to DST, or at least know if they even plan in doing so.

they never said 'no'

It would be WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard for devs to balance shipwrecked in dst. In ds. shipwrecked you start on island with little to no reasources, just enought for you to survive 1st night and paddle your way to other islands. I dst they would need to completely change this. Shipwrecked is just a dlc but a dlc that adds a whole new world and it wouldn't fit in dst. How would you imagine seaworthy working in dst. It would be madness. making shipwrecked a completely new server that players can got (like with caves) would require player to have better computer and davs probably to do a lot of programming. And the last thing i think would be to hard to balance is how players would play shipwrecked in dst: going to shipwrecked durring summer and winter so you don't have to deal with them, someone dying in shipwrecked and draining sanity from others. As I said WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard to balance 

4 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

It would be WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard for devs to balance shipwrecked in dst. In ds. shipwrecked you satrt on Island with little to no reasources, just enought fro you to surive 1st night and swim to other islands. I dst they would need to completely change this. Shipwrecked is just a dlc but a dlc that adds a whole new world and it wouldn't fit in dst. how would you imagine seaworthy working in dst. It would be madness.

main problem i see is that you need 3rd  server for shipwrecked world. This is too much for average computer

14 minutes ago, landromat said:

main problem i see is that you need 3rd  server for shipwrecked world. This is too much for average computer

This.

And even though it'd be more than possible to run 3 servers like that on a beefy server, it's nothing that the majority of players has access to, so even if Klei is planning to do it, only a (for now) limited amount of players could actually enjoy it, so it'd be on a lower priority than other things.

Not only that, you have to consider resources. The islands in SW are very random and sporadic in resources, and if one player is always a step ahead of you and clearing islands of useful things, a new player could sail all over without ever finding somewhere to set up a base due to lack of resources 

at least in the normal don't starve world they don't have to constantly get new materials to make boats and can scavenge their way around, but in SW if you run out of the parts to make a boat or tools, there is nothing you can do but starve to death on that island, unable to escape it

45 minutes ago, ZolaRay said:

I don’t understand why we need to have this question posted weekly by people who think the devs are obligated to answer.  I also don’t understand why the people who ask this don’t know how to use a search function.

SW would be an enormous amount of work to remake for DST and if you’ve played it at all you’d know the kinds of major and obvious issues you’d run into playing multiplayer SW.  Most obvious being how easily all boat materials and flint could be cleared out of the starting island.

SW is not coming to DST and there are dozens of reasons it would be a lot of work for little payoff.  There’s an oppurtunity cost for wasting dev time on SW instead of new games and content.  It’s not worth it.

I sense some ******** here, no offence. Didn't Joe say they "don't have the resources to port it"? Meaning that they don't have the time and money to do it, and that's it?

The question of "how to deal with starting islands, SW world integration" and yadayada seems quite arbitrary, considering how they found a remarkably decent way of getting ruins integrated into the caves. They did take their time with implementing caves themselves, but I'm surprised the method they came up with wasn't obvious from the start. Have everyone start at the centre mainland, and be surrounded by smaller SW islands, simple. A bit of work on the world gen to merge the two, in a sense, but other than that, I don't see any huge issues, especially with resource regrowth in place for most things. As for the volcano, you can have that somewhere in the caves world as an area where you can move through.

The way I see it, it's still really glitchy and unfinished for single player and since there's a lot to work with, they would have to spend a lot of time fixing bugs and other error-inducing issues all while getting the content imported correctly, which would be a lot of time and would cost a lot of money for something that would essentially be free-for-all... unless they go with the method that I proposed that everyone seemed to be really salty towards.

• Developer
14 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

is it possible to ban the word "shipwrecked" and "sw" in this part of the forums?

Now now, that wouldn't be very nice. How would we meme that way?

23 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Didn't Joe say they "don't have the resources to port it"? Meaning that they don't have the time and money to do it, and that's it?

Where did he say that?

This is the latest post he made regarding this subject afaik: 

They seem to have plans to update the DS version more, maybe after that they'll consider porting it to DST.

6 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Now now, that wouldn't be very nice. How would we meme that way?

Where did he say that?

This is the latest post he made regarding this subject afaik: 

They seem to have plans to update the DS version more, maybe after that they'll consider porting it to DST.

What I'm thinking of was posted ages ago. I don't go to every SW-related DST thread there is and finding the page considering how bad and irritating the search can be, I doubt I'll find it. The point is though that the "issues" a lot of people have been posting here are, well, quite ridiculous, if I'm honest. Prime example:

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, Szczuku said:

It would be WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard for devs to balance shipwrecked in dst. In ds. shipwrecked you start on island with little to no reasources, just enought for you to survive 1st night and paddle your way to other islands. I dst they would need to completely change this. Shipwrecked is just a dlc but a dlc that adds a whole new world and it wouldn't fit in dst. How would you imagine seaworthy working in dst. It would be madness. making shipwrecked a completely new server that players can got (like with caves) would require player to have better computer and davs probably to do a lot of programming. And the last thing i think would be to hard to balance is how players would play shipwrecked in dst: going to shipwrecked durring summer and winter so you don't have to deal with them, someone dying in shipwrecked and draining sanity from others. As I said WAAAAAAAAAAY to hard to balance 

But of course! How could the-boat-one be ported in any way, it doesn't make any conceivable sense, you'd need to be an oh-my-GOD to do it! It's not like balance is already a non-existent feature of the game! Praise the mod-lords!

As much as I like the idea of Shipwrecked in DST, like people said before it would be hard to balance. The only solution would be to make new players start with enough items to build a raft, and to make it so that you can't add normal and cave worlds if you're making a shipwrecked world. Also people seem to have forgotten that you need a 4th server for the Volcano biome. Still it would be pretty hard to get resources from the first night on.

1: SW itself is much more resource-intensive than normal DS, combine this with the fact DST is also more resource intensive and you've got a nicely packaged lag bomb

2: The games run different engines

3: It would take forever, and, see, thing is, usually, when people do hours of work, they like to be paid for it

4: DST, while not being based solely around it, undeniably seems to favor cooperative gameplay/servers. SW isn't really geared around that with items being a bit more scarce and the world would be downright unforgiving to join new in after a season cycle

5: SW has some very balance upsetting stuff in it (Obsidian gear/fireplace, for example....)

[...]

Frankly, it should be well known by now. If we haven't announced a thing, that means for better or worse, it's not happening. The moment we KNOW for sure something is going to happen, we announce it. The last time we said we definitely aren't going to do something, we did it. So from now on we are only ever saying that we don't have plans for it. Right now, we have no plans to make SW in DST. =)

"Right now" which doesn't mean, "never"

10 hours ago, DragonflyTheGiant said:

"Right now" which doesn't mean, "never"

Clearly then the solution is to ask every day for years for something that is inherently poorly suited to multiplayer to be added when devs were very clear it’s not happening.  That doesn’t irritate the community, certainly couldn’t be replaced by using the search function, and is a good use of everyone’s time.

There are ways to add and combine SW stuff into DST.

1.- To avoid ending up with 4 servers per world, you can add the volcano area to the caves, apart (or maybe accesible) from the rest of the map like the atrium. The main map could be conected to the SW islands in a similar fashion, with the seaworthy serving as a tentacle pillar, or even better, mashing both maps together by making the main DST map to be a continent and then making the SW map into and archipelago on one of the sides of the map.

2.- About the seasons, if we go by the join arquipelago idea, we could have a kind of "international time line" (the alegory in not very good but listen to me), one side we got traditional seasons and by the other side we got SW seasons, a "climate line" if you will. 

3.- For the Multiplayer aspect of the game, we could have the players spawn in the continent (DST) part of the map and then adventure into the SW islands. Places in the continent where you could sail into the islands could be marked by having sand beaches biomes.

4.- Rebalancing is inevitable,the same way DS was rebalanced to acomodate multiple players for DST. Maybe even swiming could be inmplemented for shallow waters for easy early exploration. Making some resouces renewable in SW islands like magma piles getting resources back after flooding of sand piles reapearing with high tide. A lot of other problems with resource availability have already been adressed with SW last update.

5.- SW caracters are mostly fine the way they are, Wilbur and Warly need no changes, Walani could get one more perk to make her more useful in land. Now Woodlegs will have to be the Woodie of the group and get a mayor overhaul (I honnestly always hated his sannity drain on land).

6.- Most craft items in SW could become more unique compared to their DST counterparts (for example dumbrella and eyebrella), like having more/less durability or diferent effects depending on which climate there are in. Also, it would be cool to have some crafts that need to combine resources from both diferent climates.

What do you think?

Archived