Charlie's Sister [Spoilers]

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Could this be Charlie's first victim to be lured/kidnapped into dst world? I mean if she wanted or needed more people inside, and had a grudge on her sister, then its understandable she's the first target.

Or maybe she just missed her and summoned her in, to please her human and emotional side.

Maybe it's like "Hey guys, this is my sister, I am sad and I want she here now, ok?" but in reality Charlie want to use her sister's enginnering skills to free everyone

8 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Could this be Charlie's first victim to be lured/kidnapped into dst world? I mean if she wanted or needed more people inside, and had a grudge on her sister, then its understandable she's the first target.

Or maybe the human and emotional side that charlie still has, missed her big sister, and summoned Winona in.

Winona's generally calm attitude towards her circumstance, and the amount of knowledge she has on what has already happened, suggests she came here willfully looking to free her sister; and somehow along the way she discovered what had actually happened.

I've kinda not been thinking about it... but getting Winona would kinda wipes any potential of playable Charlie off the whiteboard. Shame. At the very least I hope they're not beyond saving story wise. ;~;

18 minutes ago, DarithD said:

I wonder how Maxwell feel about this, or his relationship with her, are they gonna argue and Maxwell having a guilt trip?

Maxwell is just a victim like the others, but in a less conventional way. But like any other people that look at the situation with no perception of depth, it does seem like Winona blames him. If only partially.

6 minutes ago, Ressayez said:

Seems Maxwell is taking some inspiration from Count Olaf.

The eye icon used for Os in Maxwell's dialogue during the Forbidden Knowledge scene gave that exact impression.

Two completely different characters really but, Olaf would be a great cameo for the world.

8 minutes ago, The Curator said:

The eye icon used for Os in Maxwell's dialogue during the Forbidden Knowledge scene gave that exact impression.

Two completely different characters really but, Olaf would be a great cameo for the world.

Both "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and the Don't Starve series have a lot in common when it comes to the atmosphere created by visuals, dialogue and themes (if we count that which is presented by DS' lore, which I absolutely do, I love the lore). The characters are a kind of zany I don't see often, and I feel they would crossover into each other's worlds well.

(Also, I'm talking only about the books. The few illustrations from those books strike me as very macabre and similar to what Don't Starve is going for, albeit a lot less toony. I haven't seen the new Netflix series or the movie.)

I'm not saying there should be mods and fanart, but there should be mods and fanart.

What if it wasn't Charlie who brought Winona to the DS world?

For Maxwell, she would've been an easy target if you think about it. And if that is true, maybe Winona has something to do with Maxwell saying: "I know why you brought me here. But it wont work." in the Atrium. (I can't remember what he studies when saying that) Maybe she was trapped there in a similar way like Wes, and Charlie has sent the players there to free her?

According to Klei's timeline, there are something happening between 1906 and 1910 they haven't told us yet. It's very possible that it has something to do with Winona. Maybe Maxwell tricked her in to building portals to the DS-world for characters before Wilson to enter, and that is how they got there? Winona do seem like the handy type, unlike many of the other playable characters.

I do however see some loose ends in this theory when reading some of Winona's strings...

Well, I just really hope that Winona will be a good character. The "free hit from Charlie" thing is worthless if you know how to play the game, so I'm really hoping that's just a secondary perk like Wickerbottom's Tier perk.

Being able to repair armors and tools would be extremely useful, but what would be a downside to this? Maybe she can't sow correctly?

23 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

Well, I just really hope that Winona will be a good character. The "free hit from Charlie" thing is worthless if you know how to play the game,

I disagree. If you don't live close to a sinkhole and your minerhat or lantern has low durability you could just keep walking in the dark until you get hit once then flash it when she's about to hit the second time. It could also be useful for early cave exploration, if you're into doing that. 

36 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I disagree. If you don't live close to a sinkhole and your minerhat or lantern has low durability you could just keep walking in the dark until you get hit once then flash it when she's about to hit the second time. It could also be useful for early cave exploration, if you're into doing that. 

Eh, it just seems like an extremely passive ability. Doesn't sound that useful to me...

34 minutes ago, Electroely said:

So long as players actually prepare, running out of fuel is not even remotely a problem. Especially considering that players should be carrying grass and twigs anyways most of the time considering how all-purpose they are and so torches are an option.  And, being in the darkness saps your sanity which will put you in danger all the same. Using this trick is not specifically good for early caves exploration, because unlike grass and twigs; flowers and green mushrooms are more difficult to find much of the time. Light is much easier to uphold then sanity. And if you are staying in the dark even longer because of the perk, you will lose even more sanity and certainly end up with a Terrorbeak on you. Which will make it even more difficult and arduous to gather supplies for more light in the future, which will potentially hinder you even more.

The perk is useless 99.9% of the time, and the 0.1% it is useful is counterbalanced by an equal danger.

No. That is not a valid justification for its existence. Am so, extremely bored of people arguing that underpowered things are balanced because they have a single, obscure, ridiculous function that you will almost never make use of.

Yes. If you out of negligence or circumstance happen to run out of fuel or light, which is an extremely rare crisis, you will be able to run around in the dark for slightly longer periods of time while flashing your light. Losing chunks of sanity, and potentially dying to the shadows; who will continue haunting you even after night ends. What a fantastic waste of a perk, seeing as they will potentially not give her more then two to three of them.

It likely only even exists just to be a reference to help reinforce her relation to Charlie.

11 hours ago, The Curator said:

Whole point of factories is that they use machines to compensate, and this all takes place during the early 1900s. Unless Winona was a very special exception, it is highly unlikely that she would have been accepted as a physical worker. She probably spent most of her time sitting at a table or standing beside a machine doing something the current generation would have accepted more as appropriate women's work. That would not stop her from still acquiring mannerisms and slang native to the factory workplace.

If you look at her quotes for the canary, miner's hat and pick/axe you can see that she used to work in a mine before the factory, saying that she 'left that behind her'. That combined with her dislike of orange (aka lazy) gems, and criticisms of sleeping animals show that she's no stranger to hard labour. When talks about the sewing kit, she mentions that her hands are completely calloused. On top of her love of hard work, I would definitely say that her personality is very butch or typically 'masculine'. 

However, this doesn't really say anything of her sexuality. Looking at how she talks about other characters you could interpret her as being flirtatious to different characters if you really wanted: wanting to arm wrestle with Wigfrid; asking Woodie to chop some wood for her. Both of these could be argued as players reading too much into it, and that's fine. I'd imagine it's supposed to be ambiguous and allow players to identify and have their head cannons.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that she wants to shoot electric darts at WX's butt, and seems to have a major dislike of Wilson (seriously though, she suggests feeding him red caps to see if they're poisonous).

Does she say that when she examines Wilson, or when she examines red caps? To be fair, Wilson is perfectly willing to risk the lives of other creatures to perform an experiment, so she could just think of it as giving him a taste of his own medicine.

The characters have idiosyncratic preferences. Wigfrid says she has no use for the potted fern, but she calls the potted succulent "a feast for mine eyes."

36 minutes ago, Tosh said:

She says it when examining the red caps. She also refers to him as an egghead when examining the meat effigy, and complains about people being untidy when examining beard hair.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Does she say that when she examines Wilson, or when she examines red caps? To be fair, Wilson is perfectly willing to risk the lives of other creatures to perform an experiment, so she could just think of it as giving him a taste of his own medicine.

I can't help but think back to Wilson's line about flowers and how they smell like "common laborers" which gives me the impression that looks down on people who work in factories and other labor based jobs i.e Winona's various jobs. It would be no wonder that he is a target for her ire. 

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

If you look at her quotes for the canary, miner's hat and pick/axe you can see that she used to work in a mine before the factory, saying that she 'left that behind her'.

That's really weird, because back then didn't miners think woman were bad luck in mines, along with people with red hair?

9 minutes ago, Quoth143 said:

I can't help but think back to Wilson's line about flowers and how they smell like "common laborers" which gives me the impression that looks down on people who work in factories and other labor based jobs i.e Winona's various jobs. It would be no wonder that he is a target for her ire. 

I would ask why she doesn't also act like this to Maxwell but maybe he doesn't get too much from her because he's Charlie's beloved/ex.

I don't know how it would work or when it would've happened since it seemed like such a short time, but it is canon that Wilson was on the throne for a time, even if for not long. Perhaps it wasn't Charlie or Maxwell who brought Winona to the world. 

I can't think of logical reasoning behind it myself. Not sure how Wilson would even know Winona in the first place, but it's at least something to consider  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, has anyone considered that the Winnie yawn that was found in the sound files a while back could've been implemented because Winona = Winnie? Not that I'm saying that Winona is a sweet little coal-mining shepherdess, more that the work that was done for her was cannibalised into creating both Wigfrid and Winona. I'd go so far as to say that she was actually alluded to pretty early on in this dlc: many people thought that the warrior and shepherdess muse statues were pointing towards the addition of Winnie as Wigfrid's twin sister. I think they were half right. It wasn't Wigfrid's sister, but it was Winnie... or to call her by her given name, Winona.

11 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Both "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and the Don't Starve series have a lot in common when it comes to the atmosphere created by visuals, dialogue and themes (if we count that which is presented by DS' lore, which I absolutely do, I love the lore). The characters are a kind of zany I don't see often, and I feel they would crossover into each other's worlds well.

(Also, I'm talking only about the books. The few illustrations from those books strike me as very macabre and similar to what Don't Starve is going for, albeit a lot less toony. I haven't seen the new Netflix series or the movie.)

I'm not saying there should be mods and fanart, but there should be mods and fanart.

In my eyes the atmosphere set by don't starve was just screaming "SILENT FILM!", take a look at the update videos for Don't Starve, they look like old films, this is also backed up when watching the videos of Maxwell's lore before him being kidnapped he says words in silent film-like, post Maxwell kidnap, Mr. Skits and some other creature close the curtains, also the game file name for the "Work to be done" which play when mining rocks in autumn (or other activities) is called "Chaplinesque2" I searched it up a bit and found a poem and a definition "characteristic of or resembling the comedy or filmmaking style of Charlie Chaplin." Although the poem is interesting to say the least, I don't know what to make of it though

2 hours ago, Tosh said:

By the way, has anyone considered that the Winnie yawn that was found in the sound files a while back could've been implemented because Winona = Winnie? Not that I'm saying that Winona is a sweet little coal-mining shepherdess, more that the work that was done for her was cannibalised into creating both Wigfrid and Winona. I'd go so far as to say that she was actually alluded to pretty early on in this dlc: many people thought that the warrior and shepherdess muse statues were pointing towards the addition of Winnie as Wigfrid's twin sister. I think they were half right. It wasn't Wigfrid's sister, but it was Winnie... or to call her by her given name, Winona.

Rather, her quote for the Type2 Marble Statue, aka Shepherdess Winnie is "We thought she had disappeared." Seems to me like Winnie actually became Wigfrid, almost.

Archived