[Game Update] - Heart of the Ruins (BETA 207966)

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

But will all the newgrown tentacles focus on hutch or is there a chance they will attack player instead?

They'll target the closest entity to them, whether it is player or Hutch. Which means after baby tentacles spawn you have to move away to let them target hutch then go back and give the giant tentacle more damage.

• Like 1

The way I've been dealing with the tentapillars is just attacking one 3-4 times with Wigfrid (with her spear and helm of course), retreating, then either waiting for some of the babies to despawn or attacking from another angle. You'll need to repeat this around 4-5 times, but the dmg from the babies isn't too bad. You'll lose around 20-30 hp, and about 40% of your helmet.

Btw I reached the atrium on day 9 on the Jellybean Server.20170226150543_1.jpg20170226150547_1.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WesleyT245 said:

The way I've been dealing with the tentapillars is just attacking one 3-4 times with Wigfrid (with her spear and helm of course), retreating, then either waiting for some of the babies to despawn or attacking from another angle. You'll need to repeat this around 4-5 times, but the dmg from the babies isn't too bad. You'll lose around 20-30 hp, and about 40% of your helmet.

Btw I reached the atrium on day 9 on the Jellybean Server.20170226150543_1.jpg20170226150547_1.jpg

Make a base there. I dare you.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Make a base there. I dare you.

I could just imagine...

Guythatjustjoined: Hey where's base

Me: Okay... Head north until you find a sinkhole. You'll need to head through a killer bee hive field, and the sinkhole will be in the swamp northeast of that field. Then, go head west through the blue mushtree forest infested with Dangling Depth Dwellers. Head to west edge of that biome. Then follow the path until you see a villa of bunnymen. After that, you'll need to head south, to the muddy (orange) biome. Keep going south until you find a bunch of slurtle holes. From there, head east until you find a tentapillar. Beat it up and jump in. You'll find base on the other side.

Edited by WesleyT245
Clarification
  • Like 20

@V2C Not sure if it's related to this update or what's this about, but i think it's worth checking out. In my Caves/server_log.txt i see 24497 lines with:

[15:04:05]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175773, scripts/prefabs/heatrock.lua:94

or

[15:10:50]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175773, scripts/prefabs/heatrock.lua:96

and only 158 like:

[15:10:50]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175748, scripts/prefabs/frostbreath.lua:56

The 24k lines started appearing after a user issued the following command:

Spoiler

[15:04:05]: [(KU_xxx) xxx] ReceiveRemoteExecute(local player = UserToPlayer('KU_xxx') local function InInv(b) local inv = b.components.inventoryitem return inv and inv.owner and true or false end local function CanDelete(inst) if inst and inst ~= TheWorld and not InInv(inst) and inst.Transform then if inst:HasTag("player") then if inst.userid == nil or inst.userid == "" then return true end else return true end end return false end if player and player.Transform then if player.components.burnable then player.components.burnable:Extinguish(true) end local x,y,z = player.Transform:GetWorldPosition() local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x,y,z, 3) for _, obj in pairs(ents) do if CanDelete(obj) then if obj.components then if obj.components.burnable then obj.components.burnable:Extinguish(true) end if obj.components.firefx then if obj.components.firefx.extinguishsoundtest then obj.components.firefx.extinguishsoundtest = function() return true end end obj.components.firefx:Extinguish() end end obj:Remove() end end end) @(-352.40, 642.38)

that I don't know what the hell he was doing, and from time to time i see a frostbreath.lua one and eventually the caves server crashed...

8 hours ago, WesleyT245 said:

I could just imagine...

Guythatjustjoined: Hey where's base

Me: Okay... Head north until you find a sinkhole. You'll need to head through a killer bee hive field, and the sinkhole will be in the swamp northeast of that field. Then, go head west through the blue mushtree forest infested with Dangling Depth Dwellers. Head to west edge of that biome. Then follow the path until you see a villa of bunnymen. After that, you'll need to head south, to the muddy (orange) biome. Keep going south until you find a bunch of slurtle holes. From there, head east until you find a tentapillar. Beat it up and jump in. You'll find base on the other side.

This is the best post to this forum so far this year.

• Like 5

Heh.  Wow, that's even more so than the base where you had to go through several different wormholes to get there, with signs and lines of trees pointed towards the next one, and then "Go up from here until you see the birch forest, left until you see the rockland..." At least THAT base was still actually on the surface!

...Notorious

• Like 1

On 2017. 02. 24. at 4:15 AM, V2C said:

Ruins will eventually be able to regenerate, but for now, we invite admins to test the basic functionality via console commands:

The regeneration works really well, but I have a few questions/comments abaut it. I'm not sure how these supposed to work exactly, so: 

• Each time previously when I found it, a naturally fully repaired ancient pseudoscience station is guarded by two bishops. After the regeneration however, mine was surrounded by five knights. I have no problem with it, I just find it strange, that it's different from the usual.
  • After the retrofitting all the monkey houses disappeared from my map until I re-discovered them.
  • The Ancient Guardian replaces his Chest, which can be outside of his fighting area (in the labyrinth in my case). I know it's not a bug, but wouldn't it be nicer if it would respawn inside his area, like at the first time? (I didn't expect it and got almost killed :D)
  • About the retrofitting: the Atrium is very-very far from the other part of the caves, at least 3-4 screens avay from the nearest edge, moreover, not at the side of the ruins, but on a totally different part of the caves. I'm not complaining, just don't know if it's normal, because it looks so strange... but I don't have problems with it (at least I save on the lazy explorer :)) and I also know that retrofitting is a difficult task, so we cannot expect everything.

Beside these, the regeneration is perfect :) 

And I really love the ruins music! :) Thanks for bringing it back! Can't wait what will happen in the next part of this update!

• Like 3

• Developer
37 minutes ago, MrFurphie said:

For some reason, I found that killing the giant tentacle on both ends, both the entrance and exit, removes it and it never respawns? Am I seeing this right? @ScottHansen Am I having more hallucinations? Knew I shouldn't have eaten those raw green mushrooms.

It should respawn when you approach the hole after 3/4 of a day.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

It should respawn when you approach the hole after 3/4 of a day.

I see, now wait a minute @ScottHansen, isn't it possible to set up a single hoondius shooter to attack the tentacle? If it aggro's on it, its range is much larger than the range of spawnable small tentacles. Isn't that an easy way of killing it repeatedly?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrFurphie said:

I see, now wait a minute @ScottHansen, isn't it possible to set up a single hoondius shooter to attack the tentacle? If it aggro's on it, its range is much larger than the range of spawnable small tentacles. Isn't that an easy way of killing it repeatedly?

I wouldn't say that's cheaty. That's ingenious and a good use for the regenerating Ruins.

• Developer
Just now, MrFurphie said:

Heh, I'm not the one to help you with tactics. I've only made it to summer once...

• Like 17

1 minute ago, ScottHansen said:

Heh, I'm not the one to help you with tactics. I've only made it to summer once...

It's still cool to see the devs being so active! Neat that I stumbled onto something with 86 hits. I'll keep thinking :P...

OR USE WIKIPEDIA! :D

Actually, part of a Puzzle required a part of a book with like 8 chapters split into parts right? 8-6?

• Like 1

• Developer
13 hours ago, cezarica said:

@V2C Not sure if it's related to this update or what's this about, but i think it's worth checking out. In my Caves/server_log.txt i see 24497 lines with:

[15:04:05]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175773, scripts/prefabs/heatrock.lua:94

or

[15:10:50]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175773, scripts/prefabs/heatrock.lua:96

and only 158 like:

[15:10:50]: Stale Component Reference: GUID 175748, scripts/prefabs/frostbreath.lua:56

The 24k lines started appearing after a user issued the following command:

Hide contents

[15:04:05]: [(KU_xxx) xxx] ReceiveRemoteExecute(local player = UserToPlayer('KU_xxx') local function InInv(b) local inv = b.components.inventoryitem return inv and inv.owner and true or false end local function CanDelete(inst) if inst and inst ~= TheWorld and not InInv(inst) and inst.Transform then if inst:HasTag("player") then if inst.userid == nil or inst.userid == "" then return true end else return true end end return false end if player and player.Transform then if player.components.burnable then player.components.burnable:Extinguish(true) end local x,y,z = player.Transform:GetWorldPosition() local ents = TheSim:FindEntities(x,y,z, 3) for _, obj in pairs(ents) do if CanDelete(obj) then if obj.components then if obj.components.burnable then obj.components.burnable:Extinguish(true) end if obj.components.firefx then if obj.components.firefx.extinguishsoundtest then obj.components.firefx.extinguishsoundtest = function() return true end end obj.components.firefx:Extinguish() end end obj:Remove() end end end) @(-352.40, 642.38)

that I don't know what the hell he was doing, and from time to time i see a frostbreath.lua one and eventually the caves server crashed...

This is actually not related to this update, but we believe it is from a mod that issues admin commands (requiring admin status of course), and it is incorrectly removing objects from the server.

12 minutes ago, MrFurphie said:

Which developer has made it the furthest in survival? Ha. Probably @JoeW

If something gets close to ending his game, he bans them.

EDIT: I found rare footage of JoeW doing a Lets Play. Enjoy:

Edited by TheKingDedede
Rare footage of JoeW during a Lets Play.
  • Like 11