[Game Update] - Heart of the Ruins (BETA 207966)

Ok. I really, really hate using those slimy pits to get to the ruins atrium thing. Part of the reason is that if the giant tentacle respawns, All the baby ones do too. I just died to getting hit by a bunch of those things when I jumped out of it. That is an extremely infuriating situation. I really hope this is just a placeholder, or something is done to fix this problem (by making the baby tentacles not respawn at the very least). Getting there should at least require exploring the ruins, so I really hope this is just a placeholder for now.

At least I was able to recover all my stuff though. Unlike the one time a meatbulb spawned on the other end of a wormhole... it ate my walking cane too...

I'm having trouble to update my dedicated server. I've tried to c_save() and restart, but the Atrium biome didn't spawned. Anyone having the same problem? If not what exactly I have to do? Thx

Edit: The update seems to be fine. It's only the atrium biome that is missing.

Edited by GDK7

Okay, these statues are really... interesting. They show us how the guys who lived in the ruins when the ruins were not ruins yet look like. Short summary of theories about of what happened to them:

Ancient civilization, not very advanced

Somehow there was a dungeon under their city, nightmare fuel came from which

The ancient ones got addicted to NF since it gave 'em energy or something (idk)

The ancient ones died 

What happens next:

The shadows (who are possibly the creatures who destroyed the civilization or the "infested" (SC 2 style) people of the ruins) make Maxwell come to this world using Codex Umbra

Maxwell steals Wilson from our world to get freedom

Wilson becomes the king of the world (takes Maxwell's place)

Some weird stuff about Charlie

So I've found some.. evidence (?) that the nightmares (crawling, beak) are these guys from the ruins in past:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.36.45 PM.png

The statue has small legs (just as terrorbeak does) and large body

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.33.13 PM.png

Little... horns? some kind of sprouts on terrorbeak's back. The statue has the same ones.

Yeah.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Alarsin said:
  • Okay, these statues are really... interesting. They show us how the guys who lived in the ruins when the ruins were not ruins yet look like. Short summary of theories about of what happened to them:
  •     Ancient civilization, not very advanced
  •     Somehow there was a dungeon under their city, nightmare fuel came from which
  •     The ancient ones got addicted to NF since it gave 'em energy or something (idk)
  •     The ancient ones died 
  • What happens next:
  •      The shadows (who are possibly the creatures who destroyed the civilization or the "infested" (SC 2 style) people of the ruins) make Maxwell come to this world using Codex Umbra
  •      Maxwell steals Wilson from our world to get freedom
  •      Wilson becomes the king of the world (takes Maxwell's place)
  •      Some weird stuff about Charlie
  • So I've found some.. evidence (?) that the nightmares (crawling, beak) are these guys from the ruins in past:
  • The statue has small legs (just as terrorbeak does) and large body
  • Little... horns? some kind of sprouts on terrorbeak's back. The statue has the same ones.
  • Yeah.

You can copypaste your theories here if you want.

Further more on my statue theory:

Spoiler

dbJm1PG.png

New things resembling past things (thulecite core), is one thing, but old things resembling new things (strange matter) is another.

LINE_4 = "The people are shedding their skins. They look different underneath.", - Wilson

If that's not shedding skin I don't know what is.

LINE_4 = "Monsters is bursting out of them!", - Wolfgang

Something something nightmare fuel > Shedding skin > Shadow monsters come out > thulecite shell remains

• Like 4

I had always assumed the shadow creatures are the transformed ancient people, considering it was stated in the past that the ruins are where the shadow creatures actually live.

If that is actually the case then it only raises even more questions about what the hell happened to this world when Maxwell and Charlie got there.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 2

Tried to play my DST beta game 30 minutes ago. There was an update when I opened DST. Now my game crashes 10 seconds into the game. I've tried around a lot of times. Same thing every time. After the 10 seconds, the game freezes like I'm experiencing lag. Then I get disconnected. This is my own world and I'm the only one playing. Help please.

• Developer
1 minute ago, WiggyWolf said:

Tried to play my DST beta game 30 minutes ago. There was an update when I opened DST. Now my game crashes 10 seconds into the game. I've tried around a lot of times. Same thing every time. After the 10 seconds, the game freezes like I'm experiencing lag. Then I get disconnected. This is my own world and I'm the only one playing. Help please.

This has been patched just now. (BETA version 208165)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Maslak said:

To make it clear - imagine summer in DS. You have eyebrella, chilled thermal stone and luxury fan. At some point you are about to start overheating, so you use luxury fan. You get cooled down, but your stone is still hot (!), so you will start overheating again in a matter of seconds. You either use only thermal stone + endofires/fridge or use insulation clothing + endofires/fans in DS.

Imagine nothing, that's happened to me.  A _lot_.  And, if I don't even have Chester by then (let alone have him transformed into an Ice Chester), I will put the hot stone on the ground just so it's away from my person, then make an endo fire.

And then a mole ate it.

(smacks forehead) Yep.  XD  Like, the _second_ the one piece of mineral I really needed right then hit the ground, CHOMP!  But then I had moleworm for an afternoon snack, so it all worked out.

And it's funny Seyfitoplar should mention Hades...we (Arlesienne, Minespatch and I) were just talking about stuff _also_ involving Disney's Hercules in another thread!  Ha!  (And I love the TV series of that.)

How hard is it to kill the giant tentacles?  I always just knd of sidled by those things whenever I saw one and thought to myself "AAAAAA I'm in the wrong neighborhood!  Keep going, keep going, you'll get out of the dark swamp and onto dry land, keep going..."

I am SO going to need help even _seeing_ any of this update, at all, for myself.  Which is why I'm really quite grateful for all the spoilers.  But the caves spook me out, the ruins? Even more so.  I don't think I've ever set foot in the ruins even once, come to think of it...and now you want me to kill the giant creepy thing and _jump into its hole_...MULTIPLE TIMES before I find the right one?  Oh yeah.  Sign me _right_ up for that.  : P

....Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alarsin said:

Okay, these statues are really... interesting. They show us how the guys who lived in the ruins when the ruins were not ruins yet look like. Short summary of theories about of what happened to them:

Ancient civilization, not very advanced

Somehow there was a dungeon under their city, nightmare fuel came from which

The ancient ones got addicted to NF since it gave 'em energy or something (idk)

The ancient ones died 

What happens next:

The shadows (who are possibly the creatures who destroyed the civilization or the "infested" (SC 2 style) people of the ruins) make Maxwell come to this world using Codex Umbra

Maxwell steals Wilson from our world to get freedom

Wilson becomes the king of the world (takes Maxwell's place)

Some weird stuff about Charlie

So I've found some.. evidence (?) that the nightmares (crawling, beak) are these guys from the ruins in past:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.36.45 PM.png

The statue has small legs (just as terrorbeak does) and large body

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 4.33.13 PM.png

Little... horns? some kind of sprouts on terrorbeak's back. The statue has the same ones.

Yeah.

I think Maxwell definitely was around during this civilization's time, given his commentary and how he knows about the Guardian. Right now I'm interested on exactly what the ant lion was. Did the Ancients just take different bug-type animals they find and infuse them with nightmare fuel, like was done to their old people to make thulecite, to make guardians and pets like the Antlion? Perhaps it was a work or mining animal, since it can make Pseudoscience stations and is able to harvest impure gems, the basis for the focus of nightmare fuel. A whole ancient big civilization based off taking different members and exposing them to the fuel to make materials sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Maybe the ancients sort of learned from Maxwell. To me the Odd Skeleton confirms that Maxwell builds monsters and demons himself by adding Nightmare Fuel and life essence to body designs he's already premade (He calls the saber-tooth "The laughing stalk of the demon community."). Now Charlie is doing the same thing with things like Bee Queen and Toadstool, or simply reviving the Ancient's old animals like the Antlion and his trinket oasis. What if the Ancients were approaching this level of mastery over the fuel (since Maxwell seems to know and be able to make all sorts of magic foci from the shadow manipulator without any extra fuel) and were planning on taking fuel, which was already powering their city, and using it for Maxwell's type of arcane purposes. They wouldn't be able to handle the fuel, and it would've overwhelmed all of them, blacked out the city and transformed all the shells of the bugs into Thulecite and bound them into that shadow monster form, dooming them to wander the new lands Maxwell had to build. Or even weirder the Ancients started craving fuel and actually infused themselves into that arcane state because of its corrupting power. There's so many messed up possibilities for the ancients and fuel, I just hope we get some sort of clarification through the heart portal. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Escaped said:

I think Maxwell definitely was around during this civilization's time, given his commentary and how he knows about the Guardian.

Wait, WAIT, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT: So this means that MAxwell is not William Carter's alternate personality but a possessive spirit?!

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

Wait, WAIT, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT: So this means that MAxwell is not William Carter's alternate personality but a possessive spirit?!

No, I'm referring to Maxwell when he was in power and as a character in the ruins. Whenever he inspects things at the ruins he talks as if he lived among them, even in envy of them. He says "My how the fuel has changed you" when he looks at the Guardian and calls the Antlion a "rude little thing." and mentions how he'd "never thought he'd come back" to the Oasis. He has some direct connection to the ancients, and my guess was he worked along side them as his pet civilization that either destroyed itself or surpassed him. Maxwell's been in power in Don't Starve for a hell of a long time, playing a god-like role in probably a lot of civilizations that popped up. Or maybe William Carter studied the Ancients while he was still on Earth and they were simultaneously alive, observing the inventions they made and the spirits they produced (Nightmare Fuel accidents must have been common for a civilization powered by it). It might be the reason we see so many similarities between Maxwell's work and the ancients, because he studied them before he came into power. 

• Like 4