[Game Update] - Heart of the Ruins (BETA 207966)

2 minutes ago, Escaped said:

Well sorry dropped the ball on that one. I don't understand why he'd know about the Minotaur though. 

The Minotaur was some sort of old friend to Maxwell (according the his examine line about the horn). Somewhere along the line it must have got exposed to fuel and ended up in the ruins. 

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 1

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

The Minotaur was some sort of old friend to Maxwell. Somewhere along the line it must have got exposed to fuel and ended up in the ruins. 

Just doesn't add up to me. Maybe Maxwell buries all his old and failed creations underground or something. But the Minotaur guards the key to the portal, so it'd have to be from that era. 

• Like 3

And more...

Spoiler

As pointed out by somebody else on a different thread. These statues have teeth, and large mouths—which kinda of helps them resembling terrorbeaks with the big maws and all.

VQf47bD.png

Anyway this is important for a small reason. Nearly baseless, but worth considering.

GlsJt7e.png

Given the mouth placement, if we were to assume the usual eye placement of usual creatures (which is sketchy in this case)—that is above a mouth, that would mean it's gaze is into its hands. In a sort of "what have I become" pose.

The two main explanations I see are:

1 - They did not always look this way (perhaps always bugs, but not exactly as depicted)

2 - They are in horror due to this weird gunk that appears melded to them.

This gunk is reoccurring. I'm very very very... interested...

• Like 7

Not sure about Maxwell. There's two layers of ground between the ruins and the surface. He couldnt be there for this long. Also, he was prestidigitator in early 1910s. I really have no idea how Maxwell knows the Guardian as well as I dont know what the minotaur guards.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

And more...

Hide contents

As pointed out by somebody else on a different thread. These statues have teeth, and large mouths—which kinda of helps them resembling terrorbeaks with the big maws and all.

VQf47bD.png

Anyway this is important for a small reason. Nearly baseless, but worth considering.

GlsJt7e.png

Given the mouth placement, if we were to assume the usual eye placement of usual creatures (which is sketchy in this case)—that is above a mouth, that would mean it's gaze is into its hands. In a sort of "what have I become" pose.

1 - They did not always look this way (perhaps always bugs, but not exactly as depicted)

The regular statues look fine, I mean, they are supposed to look that way. We can see eyes and mouth perfectly, but I'm not quite sure if this statue has eyes. We cant see them, though they have to be large enough to be seen.

Edited by Alarsin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

as well as I dont know what the minotaur guards.

The Gateway Key is now loot from its death chest. Might be that, unless it's temporary.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

Weird, the gaurdian is on all fours, so yeah.

It lies at the center of a labyrinth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alarsin said:

The key could also be gotten by putting shadow artrium into the gateway. By the way, what does the GW do?

Tells you to come back next update. Also that was a bug. You're meant to obtain the key by other means. Right now it's killing the Minotaur.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

The regular statues look fine, I mean, they are supposed to look that way. We can see eyes and mouth perfectly, but I'm not quite sure if this statue has eyes. We cant see them, though they have to be large enough to be seen.

I'm pretty sure these are not statues (the ones, which are in the artrium zone), but their fossilized bodies. They have passed through a couple of stages of transformation before turning into a nightmare.

Edited by Alarsin
  • Like 2

I really hope this is not the last update with content and stuff for DST ... new games like ONI and hot lava are cool and all but none of them are or will be don't starve. Please keep updating the game even after a new reign is out. I am incredibly sad that single player DS is abandoned but at least keep adding to DST. I am sure many other people want to keep playing too! 

Cheers! :)

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

And more...

Hide contents

VQf47bD.png

GlsJt7e.png

'Twas I! The thread compared shadow chesspieces to thulecite status and the ancient guardian. Looks like it's been archived though.

As far as Maxwell's "friend quote" goes, no friendship is implied. It's a way of addressing the beast similarly to how he'd greet transients with "say, pal..." - the guardian looks like a deformed rhinoceros. Personally my headcanon involves a quasi-Minoan culture along with sacrifices of and to whatever species the guardian is a member of.

3 minutes ago, Warplord said:

I really hope this is not the last update with content and stuff for DST ... new games like ONI and hot lava are cool and all but none of them are or will be don't starve. Please keep updating the game even after a new reign is out. I am incredibly sad that single player DS is abandoned but at least keep adding to DST. I am sure many other people want to keep playing too! 

Cheers! :)

Affirmative, just please don't say DS was abandoned. It naturally gets less updates than newer titles, but Klei would never abandon their brainchild.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Ok. I really, really hate using those slimy pits to get to the ruins atrium thing. Part of the reason is that if the giant tentacle respawns, All the baby ones do too. I just died to getting hit by a bunch of those things when I jumped out of it. That is an extremely infuriating situation. I really hope this is just a placeholder, or something is done to fix this problem (by making the baby tentacles not respawn at the very least). Getting there should at least require exploring the ruins, so I really hope this is just a placeholder for now.

I can understand you, I also strongly dislike them... however, I recently discovered a surpisingly (maybe the most?) effective solution: 

Spoiler

abigail_babytentacle.jpg

The reason why every group needs a Wendy... :p

But joke aside, she makes the way to the Atrium much easier, and after you're half dead from the fighting there, no one wants to fight with that huge tentacle again, so Abigail is a great help back to the surface too. If she didn't suicide at some clockworks, of course... (speaking of experience...) :D

(I'm not sure if anyone has also discovered this method, so sorry if it's nothing new, but I haven't seen it yet)

Ok,so people liked the theory of what i tought the last update would have as much as I liked making it,so for fun I made a theory of what might be at the other side of the now on construction portal!   I have 3 theories:

(I putted them on spoilers so this becomes an easier to watch wall of text)

First:

Spoiler

It might be a zone with the same feel that the atrium area has,some really advanced mix of technology and magic,with a ton of really tought enemies and defences(Maybe with robots that will be new models that are much more advanced,epic and deadlier than the ones we have seen so far)

Second:

Spoiler

It might take directly to the throne room (For some reason,I always tought that the ruins had some connection with the throne room,to the point that I even tought that it might be under the ruins,hidden by it's darkness,or on some hidden zone of the ruins with the shadow throne being used as a normal throne to what might have been the king of the ruins's old civilization.With it making the atrium zone the entrance to his castle,so it would explain why it has so many obelisks and clockworks as protection)

Third,and my faborite:

Spoiler

Something that would explain the defenses as much as the last theory does,with the entrance being defenced this much,and with you needing to defeat the,literaly,guardian to get the key(which might be changed on a future by Woodie's examination of the key and would make this theory weaker) I came to with the conclusion that it might be a BUNKER FOR THE (now insane and that will probably try to eat us because of how near they are to starving) CIVILIZATION.                                                                                                  With how inteligent and advanced they were.They probably noticed that the fuel might actually become their worst enemy so they made all the defenses as an area to protect themselfs from the fuel(Or maybe it was simply used to protect themselfs from worms or other dangers from the caves,just like we protect ourselfs with toothtraps or houndius shootius from hounds.

Sorry if someone already had some of these ideas,I could't read a lot of the tread so i would't be surprised if someone wrote the exact same stuff that I wrote here,and sorry for how big this wall of text is.

Keep in mind that this is simply a theory I made for fun. My ideas are nothing compared to the ones that our amazing gods creators of the potato cup(also known as klei) can make,so they probably have something five times better than anything I wrote here behind that portal.

As always: Thanks to Klei for making amazing an already amazing game.

Edited by Wexton
Confused the spoilers with quotes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

I can understand you, I also strongly dislike them... however, I recently discovered a surpisingly (maybe the most?) effective solution: 

Reveal hidden contents

abigail_babytentacle.jpg

The reason why every group needs a Wendy... :p

But joke aside, she makes the way to the Atrium much easier, and after you're half dead from the fighting there, no one wants to fight with that huge tentacle again, so Abigail is a great help back to the surface too. If she didn't suicide at some clockworks, of course... (speaking of experience...) :D

(I'm not sure if anyone has also discovered this method, so sorry if it's nothing new, but I haven't seen it yet)

And for any other character, 3 gunpowder works. It only needs a few hits after that. It's just a pain in the butt to place and usually causes an earthquake afterwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wexton said:

Ok,so people liked the theory of what i tought the last update would have as much as I liked making it,so for fun I made a theory of what might be at the other side of the now on construction portal!   I have 3 theories:

(I putted them on spoilers so this becomes an easier to watch wall of text)

First:

Hide contents

It might be a zone with the same feel that the atrium area has,some really advanced mix of technology and magic,with a ton of really tought enemies and defences(Maybe with robots that will be new models that are much more advanced,epic and deadlier than the ones we have seen so far)

Second:

Hide contents

It might take directly to the throne room (For some reason,I always tought that the ruins had some connection with the throne room,to the point that I even tought that it might be under the ruins,hidden by it's darkness,or on some hidden zone of the ruins with the shadow throne being used as a normal throne to what might have been the king of the ruins's old civilization.With it making the atrium zone the entrance to his castle,so it would explain why it has so many obelisks and clockworks as protection)

Third,and my faborite:

Hide contents

Something that would explain the defenses as much as the last theory does,with the entrance being defenced this much,and with you needing to defeat the,literaly,guardian to get the key(which might be changed on a future by Woodie's examination of the key and would make this theory weaker) I came to with the conclusion that it might be a BUNKER FOR THE (now insane and that will probably try to eat us because of how near they are to starving) CIVILIZATION.                                                                                                  With how inteligent and advanced they were.They probably noticed that the fuel might actually become their worst enemy so they made all the defenses as an area to protect themselfs from the fuel(Or maybe it was simply used to protect themselfs from worms or other dangers from the caves,just like we protect ourselfs with toothtraps or houndius shootius from hounds.

Sorry if someone already had some of these ideas,I could't read a lot of the tread so i would't be surprised if someone wrote the exact same stuff that I wrote here,and sorry for how big this wall of text is.

Keep in mind that this is simply a theory I made for fun. My ideas are nothing compared to the ones that our amazing gods creators of the potato cup(also known as klei) can make,so they probably have something five times better than anything I wrote here behind that portal.

As always: Thanks to Klei for making amazing an already amazing game.

You know looking back it might make sense for Charlie to have added or built something for herself in the ruins. I know she has a classical feel to her, but maybe like Maxwell studied the ancient's magic she studied their architecture and decided to build her throne room down there. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Tentapillar talk

I might have an idea. If you play as Wickerbottom and read 'On Tentacles', tentacles can't spawn inside walls, can't also spawn on destroyed walls that you can walk on. It's worth checking, maybe baby tentacles can't spawn on those aswell.
inb4 klei fixes this

Edited by Maslak
  • Like 7

If you guys are having trouble killing big tentacles, try electric darts. They deal 150 damage because tentacles are always wet, so a normal character would only need 5 darts for a big tentacle, 3 with mighty wolfgang, 4 with wigfrid and 7 with wendy or wes.

Another strategy is to let hutch with the spear transformation tank the baby tentacles, since they die attacking him.

• Like 10