Is there any shame in rebalancing bosses if you are playing alone?

12 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

I don't think so. I used the boss health scaling mod in my local world while my internet was out to make Toadstool and Dragonfly more reasonable. I've yet to see a mod that reverts every mob's health back to DS form though.

Classic Giant's Health is what I use. Has everything except the Bee Queen

That's one think that keeps coming back into my mind, regardless of any subsequent response I get from friends.

The main problem is arguing about the game's Together. If I am playing a game focused on multiplayer, why the heck am I wanting to revert the buffs and nerfs that had to be made in order to move from the single player?

Well....DST is UNDENIABLY superior to DS in any point BUT Adventure Mode, which I believe will come to a change soon >:D, or not, every game needs that point to make it worth of buying in a later state(Ahem...Super Mario Galaxy/2, best example I can think of). It has all the world generations settings and(since the last time I checked) even has a pre-set to the classic world build. Additionally, as stated in the OP, it can be played AND set to play alone, but there's no point if the HP is still set for multiplayer.

Back when Toadstool was that ridiculous damage sponge, I had though of 2 things that could solve the "issue" with Mob HPs, specifically Bosses.

1- Add a option to set HPs back to the DS pattern, such as Dragonfly-2750....Bee Queen-2250. Simple(kinda) and objective. I really don't see how that would be abused by people, since it's only affecting their own gameplay.

2-Make a different multiplier that alters and raises mobs HPs according to the amount of players in the world(DSHP*X/4....or something like that). This one is a bit cooler than the first, but also a bit unreliable to those (HARDCOOORE) players that measure every single step and hit they do(I know they exist). People would either take a moment to calculate the enemies health or keep hitting them until they die(like me). This would be relatively fixed by adding a option to keep the multiplier locked, so....2 setting to configure one thing.

IMO, both alternatives would do the same thing, except the latter, if let on default, would alter the HPs in case of a second player enters.

...The second one is pretty much a more customizable version of the first.

Nope.  I'd say there's no actual "shame" in playing the game any way at all, except cheating _to give yourself an advantage over OTHER players_, or griefing.  Change the world settings, use mods, whatevs.  You do you.  I mean, I habitually turn down the birchguards to "less" because I cannot stand how freaking OFTEN those things show up, and I'm not ashamed at all.  (Then I ramp the difficulty back _up_ again by randomising the season lengths.  Because I like to.)

But more specifically...if the ONLY way we're ever gonna get to experience all the cool new content that so far _only_ Together has, in a singleplayer game, is to play Together alone...what else are ya gonna do?  As said before, there _are_ specifically options to play DST by yourself.  More than one way, in fact.  (Make a solo server, make your normal one have only one slot, make a password nobody else knows...)  I, for one, would like to have fun running around with my pet gathering juicy berries and marble pieces, then go home to see how my mushroom farm is doing--in an original-flavour Don't Starve kinda way--_without_ immediately dying to things I COULD normally handle.

...if properly prepared with armour and weapons, anyway.  I mean, of course, immediate death IS kind of a Don't Starve tradition.

But yeah.  If you end up soloing because all your friends are busy/asleep/at school/work or _want_ to solo in the first place, there's no shame in making the game playable that way.  ESPECIALLY since we don't know when any of the Together content is making it to regular DS.

(Yes, I know the A New Reign, Charlie-specific stuff wouldn't make any sense.  I still see no reason why we couldn't have the variant resources and beefalo taming, though.  I mean, was there any _lore_ reason when suddenly the world got two more seasons, tons of new mechanics, new biomes, and creatures when Reign of Giants came out?  No, there wasn't!  You just...woke up one morning to find yourself surrounded by birch trees and a strange yellow haze...)

...Notorious

There's never any shame to playing a game how you want to. It's your servers, for someone to claim it as shameful seems to ignore the entire idea of Don't Starve's "Your World" options to turn as high (or low) certain things as you want!  I've had worlds being perpetually autumn because I just wanted to see how much I could build without worrying too much.

I've also had worlds set perpetually to night to see how long I could last while always insane (answer, surprisingly long while playing as Max).  As Wexton said, your world, your rules.  Anyone who says otherwise is a downer trying to exert their thoughts onto your own world <3

I once got into an argument with someone who thought that changing the world settings was thought of as cheating, even though you could increase the difficulty of a world. They made an argument about more food being cheating, and then that food turning into rot, which would lead to more cheating somehow. Just play how you want to play and don't let others judge you for how you do so. I don't care how I play the game, and I don't care how others play their game. As long as they have fun.

Not really. I mean all bosses can be solo'ed but it's cool if you want to give the raid bosses less hp(the other ones I don't find even need less hp, since they still go down rather easily), as long as it's reasonable(Hence why I do frown upon giving DST Dfly her DS HP rather than something above it).

IMO, I think there is no need to mod bosses hp. All bosses in dst can be solo.

Among all bosses, actually there is just one boss that you can't dodge throughout the game, which is deerclops, as it will aim for your base. However, deerclops can be kited, so hp does not matter at all. You just have to spend 2 times the time. You dont even need to have armor. If you are experienced enough, you literally took 0 dmg. Althought the first deerclop will be harder bacause you are just starting your base and still struggling to survive basic needs.

As for the other bosses, you can survive for 1000 days without touching them. And you can decide when to confront them when you ready. Treeguard, Goose and bearger can be kited as well, so hp does not matter. Spider queen is abit tricky, but still okay for solo fight.

Except for dragonfly, toad, bee queen. Those are ridiculously high hp. But those bosses need to be triggered. So no worries until you have bunch of armors, weapons, and food (hp recovery). Just tank them.

But last, its your world after all :)

After you solo play dst, you will feel like ds is actually too easy :)

19 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Just wondering what people think about this. Is it looked down upon if you use mods to rebalance bosses when you are playing DST as a single-player game? I just give everything the health they used to have in the old game. 

There is absolutely NO shame in using mods to ease the game into a more FAIR match for solo play.

My answer to you is a question: do you have fun?

I would never lower difficulty, because that's why I'm playing solo dst (+ new recipes), I want it to be harder. And I like it

If you enjoy the game with the old stats, just go for it :) no shame for fun

There's a lot of shaming going on in these replies, but kudo's to those telling the OP that their world, their rules.  Listen, Minecraft has a setting where you can turn off all monsters, and enjoy the game for a variety of otherways, Dishonored has options to turn it onto extremely hard, or extremely easy.  People use both hard or easy depending on if they want a challenge, or learn the lore more/explore more.  it doesn't matter because you aren't the one playing their game.  So instead of being nay sayers, how about letting a person play how they want to, so long as they enjoy themselves?

Again, let me reiterate:

So long as someone is having fun, it is not your job to tell them not too. (Especially when you aren't on their servers, will never be on their servers)

If you're a vidya-gaym nerd and brag about your 1337 skills, then yeah, you want to do things the "legit" way.

Otherwise, as others said, do as you please. As long as you have fun it's alright to modify/customize the game to your own needs.

Don't listen to die-hard "vanilla-no-mods-no-world-options-touched-no-items-fists-only" people, let them live in their own little world.

11 hours ago, Tainted-Petals said:

There's a lot of shaming going on in these replies, but kudo's to those telling the OP that their world, their rules.  Listen, Minecraft has a setting where you can turn off all monsters, and enjoy the game for a variety of otherways, Dishonored has options to turn it onto extremely hard, or extremely easy.  People use both hard or easy depending on if they want a challenge, or learn the lore more/explore more.  it doesn't matter because you aren't the one playing their game.  So instead of being nay sayers, how about letting a person play how they want to, so long as they enjoy themselves?

Again, let me reiterate:

So long as someone is having fun, it is not your job to tell them not too. (Especially when you aren't on their servers, will never be on their servers)

This.  A thousand times this.

What's the "correct" difficulty level, when you're playing alone?  Whichever one is the most FUN for you!  Period.  I'm not an expert player myself.  There are some things in the game that outright annoy me in large/frequent quantities, so I turn them down.

There's absolutely no shame in playing the game your way.  Are you enjoying it?  Yes?  Is it harming anybody else?  No?  Then go for it.

I've never gotten or agreed with all these stupid in-fighting gamer categories like "filthy casual" or "console peasant" (CONSOLE peasant?  It's the PC players who often don't get _console_ games!).  Looking down on people who play anything "girlier" than PvP first-person shooters.  Oooh, you play the _Sims_, you must be a middle-aged housewife with no life.  Ooh, you play _casual_ games, you must be a _girl_.  Oooh, you ARE a girl, you must not be a good player.  Oooh, you play Team Fortress 2, you must be a 12-year-old.

We're all GAMERS.  Can't we all just get along, together, as a big ol' gaggle of geeks? 

Basically if anybody, like, actually _judges_  you as a person for how hard or easy you want to play, or what TYPE of games you play...let 'em yell into the wind.  Anybody _that_ shallow is somebody you wouldn't WANT the approval of, anyway.  :)

...Notorious

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

gaggle

gaggle?

gag·gle
ˈɡaɡəl/
noun

1. 1.
    a flock of geese.
  2. 2.
    informal
    a disorderly or noisy group of people.
    "the gaggle of reporters and photographers that dogged his every step"

So we are a noisy flock of geese I'm ok with that

Its rly ok to play as you like.As for me, I like challenging gameplay(but still fail in every game like this).In DST I don't use mods for ez game, exept classic giants health, so i can nerf dragonfly a bit and make other bosses more powerful.

Playing alone, nothing -- I like to play with people I know, which means I'm rarely on a server with more than 2 or 3 other people, and we use the boss health scaling mod.  Deaths or not, it takes so long to kill a boss with only a couple players that it becomes a grind, which ruins the aaaaahhhhh!!! adrenaline of hearing Deerclops stomping up in the middle of the night.  And Klei actually built in a "No Giants" world preset for people who want that, so clearly, do your thing, enjoy, mod it up however you want.

I honestly consider world-tweaking to be an extension of play for games that emphasize crafting and survival.  It's just crafting "on" the game as well as in the game.

Exactly!

And on the subject of the Deerclops...am I the only one who finds that heavy-breathing

HHHHHHUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH

thing he does in the night when first showing up to be _really creepy_?  Because, seriously. Even when you ARE prepared, that sound itself is just...geh!

(I also seem to be more attuned to it than anybody else on my server, 'cos almost every single time the Deerclops is about to show up, I'M the one who says "Get away from base!" before anybody else notices.  : P)

...Notorious

Archived